Menu

A Celebrity's Warning Has Upset Me This Morning...

Hello everyone. My friend sent me a link to David Wilkerson's blog this morning. (I remember him from his 'Cross and the Switchblade' fame.) His post from last Saturday contained a warning for all Americans that something huge and disastrous was about to occur, and for us to prepare for the unknown. I never take these modern-day prophesies seriously, but this seemed different somehow. He is even suggesting that everybody gather a month's supply of non-perishable foods and supplies. How on earth would I do that? It doesn't seem possible. I guess I just feel so upset by this and, honestly, that makes me feel a little embarrassed. I know times are bad right now, but do you take these types of 'warnings' seriously? Make me feel better, pretty please. :001_huh:

Ginger

(Moderators...if this is considered too volatile a topic, please accept my humble apologies for the post.)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoenstly, I have no idea who this man is, and how he would be in possesion of such knowledge.

I do not overly worry about that which i cannot control.

That being said, i think it is wise to have a month or more of food supplies and other essential things. Not just for terrorist actions, but just think, "Katrina". (and for us this year the ice storm that had most of NH without power for one week to one month).

There are quite a few survival threads and stockpiling threads here, i suggest you do a search for a few.

But, just as how to do it...if you have the time, and an extra $5 to $10 a week, use that amount of money to buy things like tuna fish, peanut butter, dry beans, rice, nonfat dry milk, and paper plates and paper cups incase you have no running water for a time. and we store water in rinsed out milk jugs etc...

it is a lot easier to do all this if you have a place to store it all. Oh yes, and don't let the stuff just sit on your shelf for years and years, make sure that you use it and replace it so that if in 2015 say, we have a disaster happen, all your canned goods are not expired!;)

HTH

I don't believe that God reveals the future to specific individuals anymore, so I am not concerned by this man's words. It makes me feel more sad for him than anything else, that he erroneously believes that God is speaking to him in this way. God has revealed His Word to all of us in the Bible, and I believe that this is His final Word. How many people have claimed over the years that God had told them that this or that was going to happen... only to be embarrassed when the predicted events didn't come to pass? How many prophesies in modern times have actually happened exactly as predicted? I can't think of a single one.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a month's worth of food and supplies onhand, at any time. Eventually I do think America is going to face trouble-- just looking at history, no nation goes unscathed forever. Whether this will happen in our lifetime, only God knows, and I really don't think He's telling anyone here in earth.

Hello everyone. My friend sent me a link to David Wilkerson's blog this morning. (I remember him from his 'Cross and the Switchblade' fame.) His post from last Saturday contained a warning for all Americans that something huge and disastrous was about to occur, and for us to prepare for the unknown. I never take these modern-day prophesies seriously, but this seemed different somehow. He is even suggesting that everybody gather a month's supply of non-perishable foods and supplies. How on earth would I do that? It doesn't seem possible. I guess I just feel so upset by this and, honestly, that makes me feel a little embarrassed. I know times are bad right now, but do you take these types of 'warnings' seriously? Make me feel better, pretty please. :001_huh:

Ginger

(Moderators...if this is considered too volatile a topic, please accept my humble apologies for the post.)

There was very recently an article from a pastor or some other type of religious leader (sorry, I don't remember his title or name) on WND not too long ago -within the last week or so. He was advocating the same thing, 30 days of non-perishable foods, disaster is eminent, etc. Maybe that is where your celebrity got his info.

Ginger

No. Did this guy tell everyone to prepare for chaos during the Y2K thing also? No one knows when a disaster is going to happen. This guy is not a prophet. "Prophets" have been spouting this stuff FOREVER. I'm not saying there will never be a time when disaster/ social chaos comes. I'm saying that the fact that Wilkerson's saying it is coming does not make it any more likely to come this time, then ALL the other times some "preacher" said disaster was coming. Use your own brain and spiritual connection to God. Some people do keep a stock up of essentials in preparation for any type of situation. Ask God if you should think about doing this. It certainly isn't crazy to keep some water and canned food. Am I going out now to stock up myself? Not today!

Edited by katemary63

Be anxious for nothing.

Know his plans for you are hopeful.

These words help me when I hear of disaster coming.

:iagree:

That being said, i think it is wise to have a month or more of food supplies and other essential things. Not just for terrorist actions, but just think, "Katrina". (and for us this year the ice storm that had most of NH without power for one week to one month).

There are quite a few survival threads and stockpiling threads here, i suggest you do a search for a few.

But, just as how to do it...if you have the time, and an extra $5 to $10 a week, use that amount of money to buy things like tuna fish, peanut butter, dry beans, rice, nonfat dry milk, and paper plates and paper cups incase you have no running water for a time. and we store water in rinsed out milk jugs etc...

it is a lot easier to do all this if you have a place to store it all. Oh yes, and don't let the stuff just sit on your shelf for years and years, make sure that you use it and replace it so that if in 2015 say, we have a disaster happen, all your canned goods are not expired!;)

HTH

I also agree that it is prudent to work toward being able to sustain yourself for period of time. I don't worry, but in our area I'm more concerned about hurricanes, refinery accidents, and the crew that has been laying water lines in our neighborhood for months. They keep having to turn off the water. :tongue_smilie:

I don't put stock in one man's prediction, if you wanted to do that a good internet search would find many dire predictions. However, it doesn't take a prophetic word to see that it is wise be prepared. Prepared is going to mean different things for different people, but it sure was nice to not have to run to the grocery store for a week after we returned home from a hurricane evacuation last year.

We talked about this at our Women's Ministry Meeting Monday night. Let me start by saying that I do believe in the gift of prophecy. I believe God reveals himself in many ways, and one of those ways is through the gift of prophecy. David Wilkerson has never been known to go around "spouting off" prophecies to scare people. And I know there are some religious figures out there who do. What Mr. Wilkerson is proposing for us to do to be prepared is not outrageous or unheard of. It is actually pretty smart. And it's not hard to see that our country is going to pot. But the best thing each of us can do is pray for discernment and wisdom. I know God did not intend for us to be fearful. :grouphug:

We talked about this at our Women's Ministry Meeting Monday night. Let me start by saying that I do believe in the gift of prophecy. I believe God reveals himself in many ways, and one of those ways is through the gift of prophecy. David Wilkerson has never been known to go around "spouting off" prophecies to scare people. And I know there are some religious figures out there who do. What Mr. Wilkerson is proposing for us to do to be prepared is not outrageous or unheard of. It is actually pretty smart. And it's not hard to see that our country is going to pot. But the best thing each of us can do is pray for discernment and wisdom. I know God did not intend for us to be fearful. :grouphug:

Good post. I don't follow Wilkerson, not a fan. But the point is not weather he's a crack pot or not. It's that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has been saying these types of things FOREVER. You have to use your OWN brain, pray and NOT be fearful. If you feel God leading you to stock up, do so. It won't hurt anything. But being worried all the time and going to extremes to prepare for a disaster because some preacher says it is coming is foolish.

Thank you all. I am feeling better after praying and talking to friends. :) I guess that reading about what Pastor Wilkerson did before 9-11 really got me thinking. I have no idea if this is actually what happened, but he felt convicted to stop preaching regular sermons for 6 weeks and have his church pray instead. Then, on September 10th, he felt moved to ask his huge NY church to help him make SANDWICHES...thousands of them. He didn't know why, until the next morning came, and his church was able to feed thousands of emergency workers. That's what the letter my friend sent me reported. So it just has me thinking that, as you have suggested, it is always prudent to be prepared for *whatever* might occur. It can't really hurt to begin a stock up of things that might come in handy. So that's where I am right now. At least I'm not fretting anymore! Thanks to you all for helping to encourage. I'm off to finish our schoolwork and then begin a short supply list...and take it one shopping trip at a time~

Ginger

I don't believe that God reveals the future to specific individuals anymore, so I am not concerned by this man's words. It makes me feel more sad for him than anything else, that he erroneously believes that God is speaking to him in this way. God has revealed His Word to all of us in the Bible, and I believe that this is His final Word. How many people have claimed over the years that God had told them that this or that was going to happen... only to be embarrassed when the predicted events didn't come to pass? How many prophesies in modern times have actually happened exactly as predicted? I can't think of a single one.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a month's worth of food and supplies onhand, at any time. Eventually I do think America is going to face trouble-- just looking at history, no nation goes unscathed forever. Whether this will happen in our lifetime, only God knows, and I really don't think He's telling anyone here in earth.

I don't believe in modern day prophets at all. I've yet to see one predict anything that's actually happened.

That said, God promises to provide and protect His children. While the eminent future is concerning, it's not in our control, so the more peaceful choice is to be as prepared as you can be, not panic, and trust in Him.

I don't believe in modern day prophets at all. I've yet to see one predict anything that's actually happened.

That said, God promises to provide and protect His children. While the eminent future is concerning, it's not in our control, so the more peaceful choice is to be as prepared as you can be, not panic, and trust in Him.

I don't know... I find that type of attitude kind of... pompous?

I mean, if a person isn't going to believe that a modern person can be spoken to / have a deity speak through them... what makes an ancient person / book / scroll a viable source?

Everyone knows that the books of the bible were chosen/selected/edited - the Church admits not everything made the final cut. So who is to decide that ANYONE really said/experienced something?

And that's just Christianity. What about all the other faith paths out there? Who has a monopoly on being a messenger?

I mean, if a person really buys the argument/drinks the kool-aid of most religions, the concept of "it didn't come true" is kind of moot, as one can always fall back on the whole "all has not been revealed yet" / "X Deity works in mysterious ways".

JMO, but I know I'm just a lowly human. Be it deity, universe, whatever - I have no illusions that everything will be understandable to me. But I'm smart enough to see worldwide bad times when I see them. I've started my stock up.

asta

I am compelled to stock up also. It's on my heart, though I have no impression that disaster is immentent. I think it's just smart to have a supply of food/water, just in case. Our food supply is fragile. If something disrupted it stores would be sold out in hours and if trucks could not come in for even a few days there wouldn't be any more. Stores only stock enough of many items to last until the next shipment. It's not a fear thing to me. It's a practical thing. Like the Proverbs 31 woman. She did not fear what was to come. Why? She was prepared.

That said, there's a lot of "prophesies" that Mr. Wilkerson has said that did not come true. In the OT false prophets were stoned. Obviously, we don't do that. However, it speaks to how very seriously prophesy should be taken. I think Mr. Wilkerson believes he is speaking to help people w/ what he believes God is telling him. Pray and listen to your own spirit. God will lead you and your family w/ what's best for you. Different areas of the county may be led in very different ways.

I do believe it is practical for everyone, believers and non-believers, to have some supplies on hand for emergencies.

Lisa

Thank you all. I am feeling better after praying and talking to friends. :) I guess that reading about what Pastor Wilkerson did before 9-11 really got me thinking. I have no idea if this is actually what happened, but he felt convicted to stop preaching regular sermons for 6 weeks and have his church pray instead. Then, on September 10th, he felt moved to ask his huge NY church to help him make SANDWICHES...thousands of them. He didn't know why, until the next morning came, and his church was able to feed thousands of emergency workers. That's what the letter my friend sent me reported. So it just has me thinking that, as you have suggested, it is always prudent to be prepared for *whatever* might occur. It can't really hurt to begin a stock up of things that might come in handy. So that's where I am right now. At least I'm not fretting anymore! Thanks to you all for helping to encourage. I'm off to finish our schoolwork and then begin a short supply list...and take it one shopping trip at a time~

Ginger

Ginger,

It is true about what Wilkerson did in the time before 9-11.

I'm sure others will disagree, but my dh and I count David Wilkerson as one of the greatest living men of God that we know. We listen to his sermons regularly.

Yes, we took his warning seriously. He is speaking the same thing that has recently been on the hearts of several good Brothers that dh and I know personally.

The best thing I can say is, be still and know that HE is GOD.

Blessings, Bethany

Ginger,

It is true about what Wilkerson did in the time before 9-11.

Could someone give some kind of evidence for this? I would love to read about it since I have never heard this story before. Of course, I would like some source other then Mr. Wilkerson's own lilterature. Really, I'm not trying to challenge, but I am a natural born skeptic and would never believe a story like this if there were not evidence. So, help me out here! Prove me wrong. I would love to KNOW it was true! Thanks.

This is really interesting! i did a google search to find this guy's blog, since i'd never heard of him, and did, and read it, and while i DO believe in the gift of prophesy, and have kind of mixed feelings about this particular person's gift.. he seems to have some kind of connection prophetically with God but that does NOT mean that everything he predicts will happen as spoken, on time.. I wonder if he hasn't refined that gift?

My perspective, as a believer in modern prophesy (but not a "believe every person who has an opinion" kind of person) is that i'm grateful to read this, while i've been making an effort to stock up on some non perishables ALREADY, since its obvious to me that we are PRIME for any kind of disaster, not to mention that even just an earthquake would necessitate a good supply, i think its a good kick in the rear to make it happen, and in particular, WATER! we have a decent amount of food but not so much in the water department, and that's so crucial! So what my goals are- 1. get more bottled water- we right now only have individual bottles because i'm spoiled and like them :tongue_smilie: and also get more high protein foods in our pantry, and take out about $300 or so in cash, since if something catastrophic happens, debit cards won't be very useful. But truly, i'm not stressed out about this. I'm just heeding the warning in a very casual way, if that makes sense?

anyway, here's a few other links to peruse if you have the time and inclination

his prophecies that have not come true

http://www.geocities.com/asterisktom/wilkerson.html

one person's perspective on this

http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/03/david-wilkerson-and-prophecy.html

and here's some description of how his propehesies from years ago might have materialized (heavily in support of Wilkerson)

http://www.livingwaterscanada.com/blog/?p=48

You don't have to be a modern day prophet to read the writing on the wall so to speak. IMO, you just have to open your eyes. Having a stock pile of emergency provisions seems like a logical and reasonable course of action. And I can't see any reason that it would hurt.

My hubby and I are planning to spend the majority of his bonus this year (providing of course that he actually receives one) on just such provisions. We are not only adding food and water but essential household supplies, pet food, weapons and of course rum. WE are also planning on learning to make our own wine and beer. History tells us that these were crucial supplies in rough times. :tongue_smilie: We actually have quiet an extentsive list if anyone is interested and a link to a very complete website. I just wish that I had more time to learn essential self-reliance skills that I never did. Like gardening, canning, and other such things. And it would be really nice to refresh the many skills I did have as a child like sewing, fishing, slaughtering and dressing out animals, rasing chickens. I do have a few survival skills books and I am hoping that these things are like riding a bike and will come back to me quickly and easily if needed.

Thank you, Nakia. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mr. Wilkerson is a well respected man that has been ministering effectively to people for many years. I don't consider him to be a celebrity at all. He is very humble and caring of others.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ginger

What DW has shared is very much in keeping with what our Pastor has shared from the pulpit of our home church (a sermon series he titled the Long Emergency). For dh and I, it's a matter of recognizing signs. They are all around us pointing to the fact that we could very well be living in the end times. From there it becomes a matter of preparing for the worst and praying for the best. As our pastor has said, if it does come to pass, we're ready. If it turns out to be "the pizza he had for supper last night" or something that is turned away by intercession, we have supplies we'll use anyway just ahead of time OR we have something to share with others in need.

No matter what - we are not to *fear*. God's Word is too rich with promise that He will sustain His people......

You don't have to be a modern day prophet to read the writing on the wall so to speak. IMO, you just have to open your eyes. Having a stock pile of emergency provisions seems like a logical and reasonable course of action. And I can't see any reason that it would hurt.

My hubby and I are planning to spend the majority of his bonus this year (providing of course that he actually receives one) on just such provisions. We are not only adding food and water but essential household supplies, pet food, weapons and of course rum. WE are also planning on learning to make our own wine and beer. History tells us that these were crucial supplies in rough times. :tongue_smilie: We actually have quiet an extentsive list if anyone is interested and a link to a very complete website. I just wish that I had more time to learn essential self-reliance skills that I never did. Like gardening, canning, and other such things. And it would be really nice to refresh the many skills I did have as a child like sewing, fishing, slaughtering and dressing out animals, rasing chickens. I do have a few survival skills books and I am hoping that these things are like riding a bike and will come back to me quickly and easily if needed.

I am no prophet, but it seems reasonable, given the current situation, to be prepared. For me this falls more in line with common sense and being responsible than prophecy.

Making beer - I remember well when dh was into beer making. The smell. :tongue_smilie: Thankfully, it tasted better than it smelled. I might mention that to him again; he used to really enjoy it and I enjoyed drinking it.

Janet

WE are also planning on learning to make our own wine and beer. History tells us that these were crucial supplies in rough times. :tongue_smilie: We actually have quiet an extentsive list if anyone is interested and a link to a very complete website.

I'd be interested in that website. You know, even if you don't drink alcohol, it could be a useful bargaining item. :001_smile:

They are all around us pointing to the fact that we could very well be living in the end times.

You do realize that people have been saying this EXACT same thing for centuries?

I'm also wondering, why is David Wilkerson advising people in NY to stock pile 30 days worth of supplies? If a fire is coming, shouldn't you get out? If a fire is coming that ecompases the entire "megaplex" what good will your stockpiles do, they will burn? Just sayin.....

You do realize that people have been saying this EXACT same thing for centuries?

For those who believe that end times are coming, the fact that earlier people believed this and were wrong, doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future.

It reminds me of when I was pregnant and two weeks overdue. I had thought the baby would come early, so every day from about 37 weeks on I thought today would be the day. And day after day, my hopes were dashed. Eventually they had been dashed so much that I started to seriously think that the baby would never come, even though the evidence to the contrary was right in front of me the whole time. I knew logically that every day that passed without a baby increased the chances that the baby would come the next day. But it didn't feel that way.

It's like that for people who have faith in a second coming. Yes, people have been wrong about it before. They could be wrong now. But eventually, (people of faith believe that) some people are going to be right.

(That doesn't mean it is now. That doesn't mean I believe Wilkerson. And hard times doesn't equal end times. America historically has been well insulated from adversity compared to the rest of the world. Times could get tough here without the world ending.)

Edited by Sara R

I agree. David Wilkerson seems to me a very focused, stable man who sincerely studies scripture. I have a couple of friends who went to his school of ministry in PA, and one of them taught there for a while.

I've always learned a lot from his teachings. I don't think it's "off" to be concerned about the future. Eventually, if you believe in a literal interpretation of Revelation, something horrible is going to happen.

But, I agree, we are to continue to walk in faith and trust.

It's that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has been saying these types of things FOREVER. You have to use your OWN brain, pray and NOT be fearful. If you feel God leading you to stock up, do so. It won't hurt anything. But being worried all the time and going to extremes to prepare for a disaster because some preacher says it is coming is foolish.

Well, I believe he was convicted of child molestation a few years after this book came out, wasn't he? I'm not sure that I'd put much stock in any premonitions he might have....

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is the same guy you are thinking of. David Wilkerson is the author of The Cross and the Switchblade and has been very respected NY City minister for many years. He teaches primarily on the transforming power of Christ and, among other things, on the second coming of Christ and living in the latter days.

Personally, I would rather take heed and be practically as well as spiritually ready for anything - rather than scoffing and ridiculing. In the days of Noah people did that even as they were engulfed by the waters. We never know what God may have in store, especially in these days. We shouldn't be immobilized with fear, I just think we need to be careful of our attitudes and what we say. The main thing is to stay focused on our relationship with the Lord.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Well, I believe he was convicted of child molestation a few years after this book came out, wasn't he? I'm not sure that I'd put much stock in any premonitions he might have....

Are you sure about this? I would want to be sure before posting something like that. I guess I can always google it.

Um, wow. Please do not post things like that unless you are sure. If you are sure, and have proof to back it up, that is different. But that's a pretty strong accusation to make.

A little "portability" ie passport, some cash or convertible to cash items never hurt anyone. Think WWII, Hitler, holocaust ... Unless I am misrepresenting the words in the Gospels, Jesus says to flee when the time arrives. I haven't read David Wilkerson's latest letter, but have appreciated many of them. His heart seems to be for the Christian's heart to be ready for difficult times. (More than just stockpiling, kwim?)

How am I gonna get any work done tonight? These boards are hopping. :grouphug:

I've never heard of this person (e.g. he's not a "celebrity" in my book). Even if I had heard of him, though, why would his opinion on this subject be of any import to me whatsoever? If I blogged and said the same thing, would you care? What about if I blogged and said the opposite? Honestly, I think you need to ask yourself why on earth this guy's "warning" is so causing you to get so emotional.

(Footnote: Why do I have the suspicious feeling people who listen to this guy are still eating canned tuna bought in preparation for the "event" that was supposed to be Y2K?:lol:)

Having said all that, there are all kinds of people who keep a month or so of food & supplies on hand ~ not necessarily due to concerns like this, but in the event of a hurricane, flood, earthquake. Whatever. I'm not one of those people, but I can see where they're coming from, and I certainly don't think that kind of preparedness is a big deal. What's so hard about it? Why are you saying it doesn't seem possible?

Yep. Totally aware of that. Yet, there are distinct things about *now* (won't go into them or leave them up for debate) that leave me with reason to believe we are most definitely living in a very distinct age. In any case, I, personally, aim to "occupy 'til He comes" which includes, for this season, stockpiling. ;-)

Yep. Totally aware of that. Yet, there are distinct things about *now* (won't go into them or leave them up for debate) that leave me with reason to believe we are most definitely living in a very distinct age. In any case, I, personally, aim to "occupy 'til He comes" which includes, for this season, stockpiling. ;-)

BTW and just FWIW, I did not do anything out of the ordinary prior to Y2K. Bottomline is this - we each have to respond to "life" as we deem best whether it be to totally blow off news such as presented on DW's blog or embrace it as possibility. My guess is responses will be rooted in large part on what we perceive to be his credibility. (Personally, I do happen to respect him as a man of God with a heart after God who has not set out on his life's venture to blow smoke for the fun of it).

When faced with Y2K, I prayed and asked the Lord to reveal to me what, if anything, I should do to prepare my home. I felt led to do nothing. Even before DW's blog entry of this week, dh and I have both felt impressed to stockpile. The blog entry of note may, at best, have served to light a fire up under me to put to action something we'd deemed important to do. Of course, to each his own. Again, we have to be faithful to do what *we* feel led to do....or not, as the case may be.

... Honestly, I think you need to ask yourself why on earth this guy's "warning" is so causing you to get so emotional... I certainly don't think that kind of preparedness is a big deal. What's so hard about it? Why are you saying it doesn't seem possible?

I was the OP, and I have felt so much better after thinking about this through the day. I read the letter early this morning, and the story about his church making those thousands of sandwiches the night before 9-11 just unnerved me. I don't see him as a crackpot, since I have admired his dedicated servant's heart in his ministry. Anyone who has published a book that later became a movie is a *celebrity* to me! :D As I was pondering the idea of storing a month's unperishable food for 5 people and pets, though, it just sounded so difficult. Nobody could or would eat tuna for a month. Boxes go stale. So many of the things I use each day are refrigerated or frozen. What about fresh produce, which would create a new set of gardening issues to consider. Just gathering enough water for everybody would be a pain, let alone finding storage space for it all. So much to think about, plan, and implement. I have read a lot today that has challenged me to at least think about being more prepared and self-reliant, and for that I am thankful that I read that letter today. Blessings~

Ginger

I strongly encourage those who are inclined to trust David Wilkerson's prophecy to google his name and read the past predictions he has made, whether or not they were fulfilled, and consider in light of that whether this current prophesy is trustworthy.

I will also add that it is not lack of faith to disbelieve one man's idea of what is coming in the future, because we are not called to have faith in man, but in the Lord. Not everyone who claims to have a message from God is correct about that.

Ginger, check out this site www.simplylivingsmart.com It has lots of information about getting started with food storage and how to cook from your stored foods regularly so that you are routinely rotating your supply. It involves much more than canned tuna. BTW, I find such comments condescending. If you don't feel called to stock up, fine. But please remain civil to those of us who have and continue to do so.

Although I am not Mormon/LDS, it is my goal to acquire a year's supply of food and other non-perishable products we use. I am about 3/4 of the way there. We live in a rural area that has mostly dirt roads, so travel is often dangerous. We get severe conditions resulting from floods, tornados, snow, and ice storms. Last fall we got our first hurricane force winds. My dh works at a local university and has twice heard rumors of layoffs. So for me, it is smarter to stock up and be prepared to provide for our basic needs in case of trouble.

Regarding prophets, I keep hearing, "No man knows the appointed time..." running through my head, but I also think of Proverbs and , "Look thou to the way of the ant who stores her food in season...". But the bottom line is that stocking up saves me money, time, and hassle. It gives me peace of mind. And someday, it may help keep us safe in an emergency. So why not?

(Footnote: Why do I have the suspicious feeling people who listen to this guy are still eating canned tuna bought in preparation for the "event" that was supposed to be Y2K?:lol:)

You found me out! I stockpiled a few cases of tuna after 9/11 and was teased relentlessly by friends who saw my huge stash. One of them pointed out that I might want to keep a can opener with the cans. :D

It involves much more than canned tuna. BTW, I find such comments condescending. If you don't feel called to stock up, fine. But please remain civil to those of us who have and continue to do so.

Oh, no! I have the utmost admiration for those who have already planned out their food stores. I meant absolutely no disrespect by my 'tuna' comment. I was responding to someone who had joked about tuna stock-ups, but that wasn't me. My ungracefully-made point was that I have no system yet in place for planning exactly what to buy with a stock up plan. I did, however, watched videos late last night that made the whole concept easier for ME to understand. Until now, when storms or such were predicted, I would wonder what to buy...a few bottles of water or pouches of instant oatmeal were all that I could figure out. Now I see that I should think in terms of whole meals (like oatmeal+brown sugar+dried milk+raisins) and buy when things are on sale. The whole concept is a wise one, but I am a 'recipe' person who must have a plan. The original point I was making was that I felt upset at Pastor Wilkerson's warning in his blog. Here is a small bit of it:

"AN EARTH-SHATTERING CALAMITY IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. IT IS GOING TO BE SO FRIGHTENING, WE ARE ALL GOING TO TREMBLE - EVEN THE GODLIEST AMONG US..."

That really concerned me, and still does. I am not being fearful anymore, but am taking steps to be prudent for the future, whatever it may hold. Blessings~

Ginger

I strongly encourage those who are inclined to trust David Wilkerson's prophecy to google his name and read the past predictions he has made, whether or not they were fulfilled, and consider in light of that whether this current prophesy is trustworthy.

I will also add that it is not lack of faith to disbelieve one man's idea of what is coming in the future, because we are not called to have faith in man, but in the Lord. Not everyone who claims to have a message from God is correct about that.

Erica,

Let me begin this post by saying I wholeheartedly agree with the latter half of your post, 100%. For me, personally, it's not a situation where I hear what DW has said and I expect it to happen because he said it would. Factually speaking, I am one who suspects that catastrophic things could very well be brewing, in part, because of the number of Godly people (DW included) who are apparently hearing similar things from the Lord. I'm talking about people who I either know personally or know enough about to put credence in what they're thinking/feeling because their close walk with God is evidenced by fruit. From my perspective, I do not feel impressed to throw out the multitide of counsel.

I also, though, happen to be one who does believe the gift of prophecy is just as viable today as it was centuries ago in Bible time. That said, do I embrace every word of a modern day "prophet"? No, because they are human and fallible. There is only ONE infallible word and that is Scripture. Past that, any potential word from God via a prophet is coming through a human filter. My personal practice is to place that word "on a shelf" so to speak until or unless the Lord confirms it to be of Him.

Ultimately, it is the Holy Spirit to whom I respond. Period. While the Lord may choose to use a "prophet" to speak His heart to me, I can ultimately and most undoubtedly count on the Holy Spirit to guide me and direct me, counsel me and watch over me, instruct me and show me the way that I'm to go. (It just so happens that, for now, I do believe He is leading me to gather provisions and this is NOT because of anything that DW has said, per se).

The beauty of relationship with God is that He knows how to speak to us as individuals, right where we are. He created us and He knows how to speak in a way that will reach our ears - yours, mine, and another's. For that, I am eternally grateful!

BTW and just FWIW, I did not do anything out of the ordinary prior to Y2K. Bottomline is this - we each have to respond to "life" as we deem best whether it be to totally blow off news such as presented on DW's blog or embrace it as possibility. My guess is responses will be rooted in large part on what we perceive to be his credibility. (Personally, I do happen to respect him as a man of God with a heart after God who has not set out on his life's venture to blow smoke for the fun of it).

When faced with Y2K, I prayed and asked the Lord to reveal to me what, if anything, I should do to prepare my home. I felt led to do nothing. Even before DW's blog entry of this week, dh and I have both felt impressed to stockpile. The blog entry of note may, at best, have served to light a fire up under me to put to action something we'd deemed important to do. Of course, to each his own. Again, we have to be faithful to do what *we* feel led to do....or not, as the case may be.

ITA. I have never before felt this impression to prepare and stockpile before. If you knew me personally, you'd know I'm not an alarmist. I'm a very conservative, left brained thinker. However, this impression never leaves me. There could be many, many reasons to stockpile: job loss, frugality in case of inflation, natural disasters, ect.

I wouldn't stockpile or prepare unless I had an inward witness to do it. I had this same inward witness about removing dh's 401k money from the stockmarket in the spring of 2008. If I'm wrong I'll still be able to use everything I bought.

I really think it should be a personal thing b/w you and God. As to DW, I don't know him, but he is not a preacher that I am drawn to. I feel he is sincere though.

This thread is a blessing to me because I've been talking and talking about this w/ dh and I thought I was the only one! I'm glad to know there are others who've had this put on their hearts and are following through with it.