Menu

I need a new book to read - fiction, sci-fi or horror/thriller (pathetic, I know!).

My recommendations are:

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength). Perelandra is one of my all-time favorite books. Our son's middle name is the main character in these books.

Connie Willis's Doomsday Book, Bellwether, and To Say Nothing of the Dog (I have only read these three of hers so far, but I am already a HUGE fan! I can't say enough about her books, especially Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog. Two of the best books I've ever read.)

Wendi

Keep going with The Host. It took me awhile to get into it, but once I did I really liked it a lot. I think I actually liked it more than the Twilight series because it isn't so teen-y. :-) But, I started it and put it down because it didn't interest me and someone told me to keep going. I'm glad I did.

Nora Roberts- The Sign of Seven Trilogy. The first book is called Blood Brothers, followed by The Hollow, and finally, The Pagan Stone. Dh and I both read them and loved them! What's not to love- they have mystery, good vs. evil, thrills, chills, romance, more thrills, etc. You can read a little about book 1 here http://www.noraroberts.com/signofseven.htm They were way better than the twilight series (in mine and dh's opinion anyway)

The last ones I read were the Stephenie Meyers Twilight series. Trying to get into her "Host", but it's not doing it for me.

So whatcha got for me?

TIA! - Stacey in MA

Oh, my. I'm dragging with "Host" as well. Glad it isn't just me.:glare:

I loved "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Much shorter and funny. I have listed the books I have read this year at my blog below and some thoughts about each.

Good luck, there are some great ones out there.

Twilight is a tough act to follow as far as being "sucked in" like you become in that series (at least, I became sucked in in that series). Do you ever read Alice Hoffman? I would recommend Ice Queen. That is a good sucker-inner book. LOL A lot of her books tend to do that actually.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell during Thanksgiving. I don't usually like science fiction but the plot of this novel sounded intriguing.

The basic plot: Beautiful music from a distant planet is picked up on a satalite dish in South America. The Vatican sends 4 Jesuit Priests and 4 scientists on a trip to the planet to find out about the people on this planet. One priest returns back to earth alone. What happens to the other 7 people?

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.

Hollywood is supposed to be making a movie out of the book with Brad Pitt starring as the main Priest.

Blessings

Zoraida

1632 (first in a science fiction/alternate history series)

A West Virginia town is suddenly relocated to Thuringia in the midst of the 30 Years War. They are well written and you'll have lots of fun trying to spot all the historical figures. The first one is 1632 but the series has a lot of spinoffs so there are several books to read if you get into it. The author has actually published a couple books of the best of the fan fiction from the publisher's website and has incorporated the fan writings into the mainstream of the series. I'm really enjoying them.

Douglas Adams is a riot. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide set of books.

Robin McKinley is great for fantasy (fairy tale retellings).

Orson Scott card has some good ones. The Memory of Earth series is an entertaining read. Of course you have to read the Ender's Game series if you haven't already. Enchantment is one of my favorite of his (retelling of Sleeping Beauty).

If you've never read tales of Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A. Salvatore, that a classic fantasy series. My favorite of the many books are the first three (Dark Elf Trilogy/Legend of Drizzt).

Kind of along the sci-fi vein are end of the world books. My favorite there is Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.

Nora Roberts- The Sign of Seven Trilogy. The first book is called Blood Brothers, followed by The Hollow, and finally, The Pagan Stone. Dh and I both read them and loved them! What's not to love- they have mystery, good vs. evil, thrills, chills, romance, more thrills, etc. You can read a little about book 1 here http://www.noraroberts.com/signofseven.htm They were way better than the twilight series (in mine and dh's opinion anyway)

I loved those.

I just finished Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. That was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next one.

If you like action/adventure try Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books.

If you like suspense with action adventure try 7 Deadly Wonders by Matthew Riley.

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

The Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson.

And, my favorite, the series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child that start with Relic and feature Agent Pendergast!!

Relic

Reliquary

The Cabinet of Curiosities

Still Life with Crows

Brimstone

Dance of Death

The Book of the Dead

Wheel of Darkness

Cemetary Dance (out this year)

First 4 are the best, IMO. The authors' individual books are pretty fun, too.

anything by Neil Gaiman

Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series is interesting.

Stephen King...so many to choose from. I thought Duma Key was very good and it's recent. Also, Bag of Bones, Insomnia, The Stand, The Mist, The Talisman and several others. King fans always have their personal favorites. lol ;)

Edited by 6packofun

Stephen King's latest book of short stories is excellent. It's called Just After Sunset. Many of his short stories have stuck w/me longer than his novels.

I also loved Cell which came out a few years ago. He finally wrote an ending that I was satisfied with.

And I don't think asking for fiction, sci-fi or horror/thriller is pathetic AT ALL.

Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and Mistborn trilogy.

Orson Scott Card - anything but my favorites are Ender's Game, Enchanted and Pastwatch.

Sherri S. Tepper - anything, although I love Gate to Women's Country.

Mercedes Lackey/James Mallory - Obsidian Trilogy

Judith Tarr/Harry Turtledove - Household Gods

:)

• 4 months later...

Quite graphic in content but very readable:

The in Death series of books by J.D. Robb (a pseudonym of Nora Roberts); the first book in the series is Nake in Death.

The Anita Blake, vampire hunter, books by Laurell K. Hamilton. The first is Guilty Pleasures.

Also by Laurell K. Hamilton, the Meredith Gentry series. The first in that series is A Kiss of Shadows.

These are not for the faint hearted!

Regards,

Kareni

Can't say enough about Hitchhikers Guide - it sits on my nightstand.

If you like Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp), Brad Thor's (Scott Harvath) books are sweeet...like more modern Frederick Forsyth (one of my personal old-time favorite authors)... these are all espionage type books.

The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson... ooooh, and its based on true events..serial killer during the Chicago World's Fair.. wow, really really good, especially b/c its "true"..

Authors that I like that suck me right in. I think they're more fantasy than Sci-fi.

Robin Hobb

Stand alone Mercedes Lackey books, like The Snow Queen. (For some reason I wasn't as impressed with one of the series I read, but I think I must have missed the first book in the series or something because I was really confused about what was going on.)

Orson Scott Card.

Terry Goodkind.

Dave Duncan

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

The Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson.

And, my favorite, the series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child that start with Relic and feature Agent Pendergast!!

Relic

Reliquary

The Cabinet of Curiosities

Still Life with Crows

Brimstone

Dance of Death

The Book of the Dead

Wheel of Darkness

Cemetary Dance (out this year)

First 4 are the best, IMO. The authors' individual books are pretty fun, too.

anything by Neil Gaiman

Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series is interesting.

Stephen King...so many to choose from. I thought Duma Key was very good and it's recent. Also, Bag of Bones, Insomnia, The Stand, The Mist, The Talisman and several others. King fans always have their personal favorites. lol ;)

I must say you have excellent taste. I love the Agent Pendergast novels and am delighted that a new one is available this summer. Repairman Jack is the best series I have read in a long time. Did you know that the author, F Paul Wilson is a physician? If someone reading this thread wants to ignore their children, forget planning for next year , fail to accomplish household tasks and generally become a slacker, read the Pendergast series. Think Poe and Hercule Poirot with a dash of noblesse oblige and you have Agent Pendergast. I discovered these books while healing from an injury that caused me to be bedridden for the better part of two months. Have I convinced you yet that these are deliciously dark???

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (I don't know if I spelled those right). Parody of the apocalypse.

I really like Christopher Moore but his books are not family friendly (Rated R at least). If you don't mind strong language and coarse humor, he is extremely funny.

Anne McCaffrey's "Ship Who ..." series.

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven annnnd.... I forgot. Sci-fi apocalyptic thriller.

Jerry Pournelle.

One of my all-time favourite books, btw, since I discovered it when I was about 10 I've read two copies to pieces (my brothers helped).

1632 (first in a science fiction/alternate history series)

A West Virginia town is suddenly relocated to Thuringia in the midst of the 30 Years War. They are well written and you'll have lots of fun trying to spot all the historical figures. The first one is 1632 but the series has a lot of spinoffs so there are several books to read if you get into it. The author has actually published a couple books of the best of the fan fiction from the publisher's website and has incorporated the fan writings into the mainstream of the series. I'm really enjoying them.

This is good (although some of the fan fic is kinda low-quality, I will no longer buy it but read it at the library), but if you like this you should try SM Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time. The modern island of Nantucket is sent about three thousand years back in time by an unexplained phenomenon, and the rest of the trilogy is them building their world. I bought these books for my brother for Christmas, and my mother and brothers were squabbling over who got to read them first ;)

BTW, they meet a few people you might recognize ;)

Urban fantasy: Patricia Briggs, C.E. Murphy, Jim Butcher, Mercedes Lackey, Tanya Huff, Doranna Durgin

Fantasy: Patricia Briggs, Mercedes Lackey, Jim Butcher, Jim Hines, Esther Freisner, Jennifer Roberson, Dave Duncan, Patricia McKillip

Sci-Fi: Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, Julie Czerneda