Menu

If you only had $20 for food...

What would you buy for a family of four?

I can get bread and some bread-type sweets (donuts, cake, etc.) for free twice a week, every week. Sometimes the place I go has fruits & veggies or other items but that isn't a given as they give out what they get.

So, bread and sweets aside, what would you buy? My mom is sending me some $$ and I want to make sure that I get the most out of it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dried beans (pintos, lentils, black beans), rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, masa harina (if you like corn tortillas) or harina PAN (if you like arepas), shredded cheddar cheese (sharp if possible because you'll be able to use less and still have good flavor), a small package of bacon to flavor the beans, cooking oil if you need it, peanut butter, margarine, jelly. I'm pretty sure that's more than $20, depending on the package sizes, but cut out what doesn't appeal to you.

Good luck!

I would buy:

Beans (they are like $1 a bag where I live)

Chicken leg quarter (I just bought some for 0.59/lb)

Rice (you can buy a large bag for a few dollars)

Apples (a 5lb bag is usually around $2.50)

Bananas (I know these are generally cheap)

Carrots (5lb bag around $3.50 or less)

Potatoes (5lb bag 3.99 or less)

Celery (under a dollar for a bag)

Pasta (buy 1lb boxes on sale for under $1)

Oatmeal (again around $1 a container on sale)

Eggs (1.50 a dozen)

Flour, butter, and Sugar if needed

Shop around and buy whatever fruit and vegetables are on sale this week. Also, try to purchase meat when it is under $2/lb. Use meat as your side dish not the main course. We are on a very limited budget and I have learned to stock up as much as possible when things are on sale. We plan our weekly menu around sales and coupons. I have learned to cook many things from scratch. Before our finances changed I rarely if ever cooked so we are learning as we go.

I would second the hillbillyhousewife. I use a number of her recipes and tweak them to my family's taste.

Check the ads for any and all stores near you and look for the front page specials. 10 for 10 doesn't mean you have to buy 10 of that item. Often buy one, get one free actually means half off the first item...be sure to check with management on that. Unless you live in a rural area where driving would be cost-prohibitive, utilize all stores every week to find the lowest prices.

Barb

To answer a variety of questions:

Our car is on the fritz, I have to walk (but not horribly far) or get a ride from someone else if I don't have bus fare.

I love the hillbilly housewife recipes. Anybody got Fred's Favorite Meatloaf? It isn't on the site anymore that I can find it.

Whatever I do get, I'm going to have to make it last as long as possible.

You can buy bags of beans and lentils for @$1/bag, a big bag of rice for @$3 and some canned veggies and you have a few a complete meals for just a few dollars. Some peanutbutter for the bread and you can have PB & J for a snack or quick lunch. A large caninster of oats is @ $2. Add a bag of small apples and maybe some raisins for the oats.

My dh refers to that sort of shopping as the "eat what you can afford diet." His standards for it were eggs, rice, onions, pb, a gallon of milk, a can of salmon, and whatever is left for inexpensive produce. I would want some beans/lentils and oats to round things out, but then I don't really eat bread.

Beets and carrots. Beets are great because you can eat the beets and steam the beet tops - no waste.

Like the others said, I would buy rice, dry beans, and lentils. An onion, couple carrots, bacon, and some lentils cooked with water makes a great soup and you can stretch it with the rice.

Other than that, I would buy whatever I could find good coupons for or that was on sale. And whatever other produce is cheap and in season (citrus fruit?).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

To answer a variety of questions:

Our car is on the fritz, I have to walk (but not horribly far) or get a ride from someone else if I don't have bus fare.

I love the hillbilly housewife recipes. Anybody got Fred's Favorite Meatloaf? It isn't on the site anymore that I can find it.

Whatever I do get, I'm going to have to make it last as long as possible.

Are you in th US? Do you have WIC to cover your milk, chese, eggs, beans and pb?

My kids and dh are not big fans of beans.

With $20 I would purchase:

2 whole chickens (these are often on sale for $1 a lb. or less so you could probably get two for around $5-$10)

a box of instant potatoes (usually around $1)

a small bag of rice (around $2)

a variety of fresh veggies i.e carrots, celery, a couple of potatoes(but you mentioned you had access to cheap or free veggies so I would only pick what I didn't have access to)

any on sale fruit to fill in with what $ is left over. (but I think you mentioned you had access to some of this also)

$2-$3 worth of Ramen making the most of the every penny.

peanut butter.

The peanut butter would be to place on toast or to make as sandwiches for breakfast. Add some fresh cut up fruit on alternate days.

The ramen is for lunch. You can add some veggies or fresh fruit on the side on alternate days. You can cook ramen up in a variety ways.. do a google search or try allrecipes.com You don't have to cook it up as soup. You can cook it up with leftover meat or add some peas, etc. The options are endless.

1st night dinner: Cook up the chicken in your oven or crockpot. Make mashed potatoes and a large batch of gravy from the drippings, add a veggie if you have access to it.

2nd night dinner: Cut up some leftover chicken (saving some for tomorrow nights dinner) and use some leftover gravy watered down just a bit, because it will thicken while cooking and add some cut up fresh veggies to the mix. Top with leftover mashed potatoes and you have a pot pie. Cook at 350 - 375 degree's for 45 minutes to an hour. I never time it and change the temp all the time. Just watch it and when the center has bubbled for a good 20 minutes its done. :o)

3rd night dinner: Use the rest of the leftover chicken and add or make more gravy and put in some peas or leftover veggies. Heat it up and pour it over cooked rice.

4th night dinner: use your chicken carcasses to make a chicken broth. The hard to pick off meat will fall off the bones. You will have to pick out the bones and strain the juices (I use my spaghetti strainer) to get all the bones and small pieces of chicken out. Add 1 oz of vinegar to every quart of water but no more than 4oz of vinegar. I always make a HUGE pot and too much vinegar will alter the taste of your soup. The vinegar also makes for a creamier and flavorful soup. Make enough stock to get at LEAST two meals from it. Put in all your leftover veggies. If you have any leftover rice throw that in. You now have enough soup to last 2-3 days.

HTH, I've btdt too many times in our younger years. ;)

Also, take advantage of coupons and rebates when you can. Beer companies put out awesome rebates on things you already buy. Like bread, lunch meat, meat, etc. And you don't have to buy beer in order to take advantage of the rebate. You only have to send in your register receipt, no UPC's to bother with. It does depend on what state you live in order to take advantage of these offers.

Also..... keep an eye out for marked down meats. Last week I found some beef bits marked down to $1.50 a package. I purchased two because we are a family of 8. I made a huge crockpot of stew with our homegrown garden vegetables. It made for 2 meals with a little left over for a third meal poured over rice and homemade biscuits (flour, water, and baking soda or powder, I can't remember which without looking at my recipe). The 2 meals cost us only $1.50. The meal with rice cost probably around $2.00 - $2.25. That's THREE dinners for a family of 8 for a grand total of $5.00-$5.25. ;)

rice

beans

potatoes

peanut butter

flour

sugar

eggs

butter

milk

ramen noodles (dirt cheap and very filling. My kids even eat them dry as a snack like popcorn. Speaking of which also cheap and filling.)

Kraft Original Macaroni & Cheese

and then as many fruits & veggies as you can get.

I don't know about everywhere else but cheese is $5 per pound here right now. My kids don't eat meat so the list above plus cheese are their staples.

The basic items you would get from WIC are:

milk

cheese

peanut butter

cereal

juice

We have quite a bit of TVP and I'm getting tired of making "meatloaf" and burgers out of it. I'd love some more ideas that don't require a boatload of ingredients to go with it. For those of you who don't drink milk, what can you use in place of it? I priced out almond milk and soy milk and it's about $7 a gallon here. We like milk but it never seems to last very long so I'm wondering what else to do for dairy. Cheese (depending on price) maybe? I'll keep listening and hopefully I'll figure it out. Heidi

If it were me and my kids were too old for WIC, I'd head down to the local DSHS office to see if I qualified for food stamps. You can get it in as little as 5-9 days and is based on income alone. Their website says that they don't look at resources anymore. I'd also find the local food banks...especially for the time being.

You'll need income for the last 30 days, SSN for everyone in the family, mortgage statement or rental statement, utility bills, medical bills you still owe, and anything else pertaining to your income and household size.

Nothing new here...just wanted to say that I have been there. I have actually cried on my way to the grocery store trying to figure out how to feed the hungry folks at home. I could make it if I had eggs, cheese, oatmeal, tuna, beans, rice and peanut butter. I hope things get better soon.

Laurel T.

My kids and dh are not big fans of beans.

With $20 I would purchase:

2 whole chickens (these are often on sale for $1 a lb. or less so you could probably get two for around $5-$10)

a box of instant potatoes (usually around $1)

a small bag of rice (around $2)

a variety of fresh veggies i.e carrots, celery, a couple of potatoes(but you mentioned you had access to cheap or free veggies so I would only pick what I didn't have access to)

any on sale fruit to fill in with what $ is left over. (but I think you mentioned you had access to some of this also)

$2-$3 worth of Ramen making the most of the every penny.

peanut butter.

The peanut butter would be to place on toast or to make as sandwiches for breakfast. Add some fresh cut up fruit on alternate days.

The ramen is for lunch. You can add some veggies or fresh fruit on the side on alternate days. You can cook ramen up in a variety ways.. do a google search or try allrecipes.com You don't have to cook it up as soup. You can cook it up with leftover meat or add some peas, etc. The options are endless.

1st night dinner: Cook up the chicken in your oven or crockpot. Make mashed potatoes and a large batch of gravy from the drippings, add a veggie if you have access to it.

2nd night dinner: Cut up some leftover chicken (saving some for tomorrow nights dinner) and use some leftover gravy watered down just a bit, because it will thicken while cooking and add some cut up fresh veggies to the mix. Top with leftover mashed potatoes and you have a pot pie. Cook at 350 - 375 degree's for 45 minutes to an hour. I never time it and change the temp all the time. Just watch it and when the center has bubbled for a good 20 minutes its done. :o)

3rd night dinner: Use the rest of the leftover chicken and add or make more gravy and put in some peas or leftover veggies. Heat it up and pour it over cooked rice.

4th night dinner: use your chicken carcasses to make a chicken broth. The hard to pick off meat will fall off the bones. You will have to pick out the bones and strain the juices (I use my spaghetti strainer) to get all the bones and small pieces of chicken out. Add 1 oz of vinegar to every quart of water but no more than 4oz of vinegar. I always make a HUGE pot and too much vinegar will alter the taste of your soup. The vinegar also makes for a creamier and flavorful soup. Make enough stock to get at LEAST two meals from it. Put in all your leftover veggies. If you have any leftover rice throw that in. You now have enough soup to last 2-3 days.

]

I think this is a really good idea! This would appeal to our family more than lentils or lots of beans (though you could get a bag of dried kidney beans and make red beans and rice for a couple of meals-- that is really yummy.) I will have to keep this in mind for tight weeks! ;)

With flour, eggs, yeast, salt and water, you can make a whole slew of bread sides. Bulk meat, if you eat meat. Anything where you can cut up the meat first (stir-fry, etc) can make the meat last waaay longer. Rice, potatoes (another bulk, multi-user), and check to see if frozen or canned veggies are cheaper, but I'd get as much as I could.

I see people giving away cereal and canned foods on freecycle.

I've been donating a lot through that group, and you can even post wants there. You might be surprised how generous people are.

Oh, and definitely potatoes. You can eat baked one night, cut them up for corn chowder another night (this is such a cheap and filling meal), potato soup another night with celery and onion slices. You can fry them in a skillet. I also love to roast them with salt, pepper and herbs.

Rice, beans and lentils as mentioned before. I personally wouldn't worry about fruit and juices when money is that tight. One isn't going to get scurvy that fast. Do you have any vitamins on hand?

Oats are cheap and good for you. We have oatmeal for lunch with eggs or toast. Frozen veggies can be very inexpensive -- compare the unit price though. At Kroger, it is often cheaper to buy many small bags than one large one.

Definitely look at sales. Kroger often sends me coupons for $2.00 of total purchase or for free items because we have a Kroger plus card. Do you have something like that?

Can you get sub rolls as some of the bread? A little tomato sauce and cheese makes good pizzas.

Edited by nestof3

feeds us 2 meals. It cost about $6.

Here's a link:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1612,140184-241197,00.html

FYI, I skip the meat and the mushrooms. Make sure not to cook more than the instructions, b/c it will overcook and start to burn. Also, I usually make a loaf of bread to go with this. That would be less than $1 extra.

And here's the $$ break down:

$2 lasagna noodles

$1 on sale - 28oz can of sauce

$1-16oz FF ricotta

$2 2c. package of shredded mozzerella

That's about $6 for 2 meals. That's all you really need! You can add onions if you like, and spices if you have them (oregano, thyme). If you can afford more cheese or sauce, or even some browned ground meat (beef, turkey, pork), it may add value/taste/nutrition, but not necessary. Anyway, it's only 1 meal suggestion, buy maybe it will help.

As many have mentioned, I also do a lot of bean soups and chili's in my crockpot. They are cheap to make and VERY healthy!

Hang in there. You have some wonderful suggestions here. You can do it! Take care and God bless...

- Stacey in MA

I've looked into Angel Food Ministries but that only works if you have $30. I'm looking at about $20.

I'm going to try the crock pot lasagna, though. I found a long time ago, that if you drain cottage cheese and put it in your food processor that it's kinda like ricotta cheese but the flavor isn't quite the same. Close in a pinch, though.

wow. a lot depends on the prices at your local stores.

beans

our family doesn't like beans, but i liked the idea of grinding them to a powder and sprinkling them in just about everything, so i'd keep them on the list.

potatoes

if i have to choose between br rice and potatoes, I'd go w/ potatoes for $$ reasons. better than white rice i think.

carrots

HEB offers a 15 pound bag for $10. probably not workable for this week, but you might be able to get it another week. they last a long time.

apples

bananas

PB

maruchan ramen has 5 g of protein in it.

frozen veggies/eggs if there's enough $$.

nonfat dry milk is yucky enough that the kids don't want to drink it all up, but healthy enough to use for dairy and sprinle in dishes. again, probably too pricey this go-around, but something that might work later.

i like the idea of getting a bottle of vitamins for calcium and vit c.

you might be able to ask a church about giving you an extra $10 if it's going directly to angel food, especially if they can give it directly to the AF ministry for you.

i picked up some no-HFCS jars of strawberry jelly at The Dollar tree.

good luck!!

When we do poor week, beans and rice everyday, we buy dried beans, rice and a little onion and tomato (canned is good). The tomato and onion is for flavor. ALso, carrots, potato and onion fried is considered a treat by the end of poor week. If you are looking for nutrition then protein is key. Add veggies as possible. Lard is more flavorful than oil if you actually want to saute or fry anything.

. . . would be to think of simple meals your family actually likes to eat and then see how you can make those work on a budget. This would be my approach, rather than spending all your money on things you (or your kids) might not end up wanting to eat.

So, for instance, my son loves spaghetti, which also happens to be cheap. I could do that for two dinners in a week and not hear any complaints. If you make your sauce or stretch an inexpensive one, you can end up with a lot of food for very little money.

Various Mexican-themed things are some of my husband's favorites. So, again, I could do two variations (burritos one night, nachos another) and hear narry a peep of protest. A bag of black beans, a bag of rice, some frozen corn niblets, an onion and some salsa. You can make very good tortillas from scratch.

Baked potatoes with toppings and whatever I can scrounge on the side is another cheap, popular meal.

Breakfast is easy and cheap. Oatmeal (if you don't buy the instant stuff) is healthy and filling. I make pancakes without eggs (because we're vegan) with just flour, baking powder and a little sugar. I usually make them with soymilk, but plain old water will do in a pinch. You can make muffins with leftover fruit (apples, bananas, whatever you have on hand).

Oh, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know. I just thought it might be worth suggesting looking at the problem from the other side, since you're likely to get more value out of buying foods your family already likes.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes?

I've looked into Angel Food Ministries but that only works if you have $30. I'm looking at about $20.

You may still want to check with your local Angel Food Ministry. Some people/church members will purchase an extra package or two for the church to give to needy families and/or the local food bank.

OK. I need to jump back in an be the (semi) contrarian.

At no time does your body (and those of your family) require good nutrition more than when your are under stress. And that certainly includes economic stress. Further, with a very tight budget you need to look at every single food item and ask:

"Does this provide essential nutrients my family members need in order to thrive"?

White rice, potatoes, white flour, "white" pasta and noodles, and baked-goods are nutritionally almost vacant. And they set up bad insulin responses due to their high glycemic loads. A diet of potatoes may fill bellies and provide empty calories, but a diet heavy in such items will lead to malnutrition. Are are a "waste" of precious funds.

Whole grains (especially Brown Rice), Beans and Lentils, and fresh vegetables are essential to good health, and beans and whole grains are very inexpensive.

On top of that you can add items such as soups, fruit, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, peanut butter and dairy as "supplements".

But try to resist the temptation to feed them non-nutritious food just because it's "cheap". It is possible to eat economically and nutritiously.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Bill

OK. I need to jump back in an be the (semi) contrarian.

At no time does your body (and those of your family) require good nutrition more than when your are under stress. And that certainly includes economic stress. Further, with a very tight budget you need to look at every single food item and ask:

"Does this provide essential nutrients my family members need in order to thrive"?

White rice, potatoes, white flour, "white" pasta and noodles, and baked-goods are nutritionally almost vacant. And they set up bad insulin responses due to their high glycemic loads. A diet of potatoes may fill bellies and provide empty calories, but a diet heavy in such items will lead to malnutrition. Are are a "waste" of precious funds.

Whole grains (especially Brown Rice), Beans and Lentils, and fresh vegetables are essential to good health, and beans and whole grains are very inexpensive.

On top of that you can add items such as soups, fruit, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, peanut butter and dairy as "supplements".

But try to resist the temptation to feed them non-nutritious food just because it's "cheap". It is possible to eat economically and nutritiously.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Bill

Could you post a sample 6-7 day menu for a family of 4? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

TIA