Menu

"The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating" (or are you?)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/the-11-best-foods-you-arent-eating/?em

Since karenciavo posted a list the other day of foods that are serial killers (;)), I thought I'd offer this list of the 11 Best Foods You [supposedly] Aren't Eating. I'm wondering, looking at the list, if people really aren't eating most of these things regularly. Pretty much all of them are standard around here, with the exception of sardines. I should buy them more often. The other thing on the list that we don't eat too terribly often is turmeric. I use it in some dishes ~ like a delicious mixed vegetable curry ~ but I can't say it's a daily staple. Take a look and see what you might consider adding to your food mix in 2009!:)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, there are a few there that I don't eat often. I'm not a big fan of beets (they're pretty and all, but, um, not my favorite), and I don't care for prunes either. I'd rather eat pomegranates than drink the juice, but of course, that's not a year-round possibility (but I have a pretty one in the kitchen right now waiting to be eaten!), and sardines are something of a rarity. (Though I do have a can in the pantry right now.)

We do eat all the other things with some regularity.

Well, I'm eating pumpkin seeds while reading this. Most of these are eaten by us, as well, although as you mentioned, turmeric isn't a regular spice I use weekly. Now, beets. That's another matter. I've tried them a million ways and simply detest them. They taste of dirt to me, no matter how they're prepared or even if they're pickled. Dirt.....

Take a look and see what you might consider adding to your food mix in 2009!:)

I am eating many of these -so I am happy I am hitting what is currently considered good for you -seems to change every couple years or so which frustrates me to no end.

However, I have to say the only time of year when I come close to canned pumpkin is around the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I have never tried dried plums wrapped in prosciutto and baked.

Sounds interesting though.

Can someone suggest a variety of ways to prepare beets?

I love beets and I know I should eat them a lot but all I ever do, is peel them and bake them slow at F250.

If you eat them raw, you peel and slice them into salad? Or...?

Okay, there are a few there that I don't eat often. I'm not a big fan of beets (they're pretty and all, but, um, not my favorite), and I don't care for prunes either. I'd rather eat pomegranates than drink the juice, but of course, that's not a year-round possibility (but I have a pretty one in the kitchen right now waiting to be eaten!), and sardines are something of a rarity. (Though I do have a can in the pantry right now.)

Oh, I do love beets and fortunately my guys like them, too. We grow a lot in the garden, though by this time of year I'm of course buying them. The only thing that keeps me from making beets more often is that they're such a ding dang mess and require a good bit of work. Prunes ~ er, dried plums ~ are a standard snack food around here. My boys have no idea that the prunes are often associated with elderly folks who need extra fiber and so on. They think they're a treat and I'm not about to tell them otherwise.:D

Aside from curry, are there other dishes you make that use turmeric?

dried plums, pumkin seeds, sardines, or beets (though I like beets when someone else prepares them for me). The others I eat fairly often. Pom juice I drink in phases. If I buy a bottle and have it open, I finish it, but it's a bit much for me unless I "cut" it with ginger ale or champagne. Oh, edited to add that while I own tumeric, I can't think of when I use it apart from one Indian dish I make a few times a year.

Edited by Danestress

I use cinnamon in desserts occasionally. I bake pumpkin pie once a year and pumpkin cookies once a year. I'm not a big fan of blueberries but will make blueberry muffins once or twice a year and eat them with strawberries and cheerios when they are fresh and reasonably priced.

The rest, I pretty much wouldn't touch.

Blueberries, pomegranite juice, cinnamon, and cabbage are all pretty frequently present in my diet. The rest are almost never present. I remember eating sardine sandwiches as a kid, but I don't like them enough to seek them out as an adult. And I hate pumpkin and all forms of squash except squash soup--so maybe I'll try to have that more often. Turmeric is good, but I don't have much occasion to use it--I think it's called for in my favorite squash soup recipe, so I could kill two birds with one stone there.

Pumpkin seeds are boring. But I guess I could eat them.

I do enjoy Swiss chard, but that's not popular with my family so I normally don't cook it. I guess I need to just make some for myself.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Since karenciavo posted a list the other day of foods that are serial killers (;)), I thought I'd offer this list of the 11 Best Foods You [supposedly] Aren't Eating. I'm wondering, looking at the list, if people really aren't eating most of these things regularly. Pretty much all of them are standard around here, with the exception of sardines. I should buy them more often. The other thing on the list that we don't eat too terribly often is turmeric. I use it in some dishes ~ like a delicious mixed vegetable curry ~ but I can't say it's a daily staple. Take a look and see what you might consider adding to your food mix in 2009!:)

The only thing we eat with any regularity is canned pumpkin and pumpkin seeds...and those only in the fall. My kids like cinnamon. Other than that I can't imagine adding anything else on the list to our diets...I just really detest the taste of most of the things on that list. I'll have to get my healthiness elsewhere!:)

Oh...dh does sometimes use turmeric...but he's the only one who eats it if he makes a dish with it.

I've always disliked beets even though my mom tried to get me to see the "cool" side of eating something that made my tongue purpley-red.

I love fish but not sardines. Somehow they are too fishy for me.

We eat pumpkin but the fresh kind. We eat pumpkin seeds - and roast our own on occasion (after having some of that fresh pumpkin).

We eat spinach, collard greens, and the occasional swiss chard.

We eat cabbage.

We eat blueberries. Right now we are doing a double whammy by drinking blueberry-pomegranate juice.

I use cinnamon in many things.

Tumeric I like but my kids detest curry so I don't use it that much.

Prunes are good. We eat them. I think it is silly to call them dried plums. Anybody want some Dried Grape Bran?!

Nice list. I am afraid to say I am deficient in most of these. I like cabbage, blueberries, pumpkin, prunes, cinnamon, swiss chard, and prunes, but rarely eat them.

Maybe I need to try grated raw beets. I've only ever had them cooked and prefer the greens.

I used to eat 5 prunes every night. I do eat cinnamon whenever I eat oatmeal.

I can do better, though. I have a big shopping trip this week, so I'll plan these in. Thanks

I eat a lot of them, and my kids probably even more (they adore prunes, pomegranates and blueberries and would happily eat them all day long), but I thought it was a bit of a melodramatically phrased list. I also thought the canned pumpkin thing was weird; I eat sweet potatoes more often, and I think it's about the same in nutritiousness but tastier and easier to cook (smaller, no pesky mega-peel).

We do ok with most of the list, aside from the sardines. I should make beets more often, but dh really detests them, and he's so great about other veggies that it's not worth fussing over. I tend towards getting pomegranates instead of the juice -- I'm not much of a juice drinker.

I started using canned pumpkin much more last year, and it is surprisingly versatile -- and pairs well with cinnamon. I should show this list to dh so that he knows I'm not making up the stuff about cinnamon -- I love adding a generous amount of it to coffee before brewing, which he thinks is strange.

We eat many of the foods at our house. We drink pomegranate lemonade all the time (we use one part pomegranate juice to three parts lemonade -- it tastes a little bit like raspberry lemonade, and it's wonderful!). We eat sweet potato casserole at least once a week and often serve pumpkin pie and muffins. I use tumeric in making lamb stew. We keep dried blueberries around and use handfuls of them in oatmeal and homemade applesauce. I found a great recipe for roasted beets with blue cheese and red wine vinegar. I like pumpkin seeds, though my kids have never tried them.

I love the book SuperFoods RX, which gives a similar list. Since reading it, I've been on the hunt for ways to use the superfoods in as many recipes as possible.

We eat just about everything regularly - pomegranate juice is something of a treat (we just don't do juice a lot), tumeric appears in places, prunes are a rarity just because we eat a lot of other dried fruit. I can't seem to develop a fondness for sardines; that's really the only thing we don't eat.

Pumpkin is great in muffins, tea breads, pancakes. Beets generally get wedged, tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper, then roasted in a hot oven (~400-450 depending on what else I'm making), sometimes with other root veggies, so that may be an option for those who have beet-adverse family members. (I've also found that growing just about anything or getting it from our CSA turns aversion into excitement - my kids love hakuri salad turnips, too)

So, does anyone have a technique or cooking method for me to try with sardines or kippers? I'm open to anything, love all cuisines... obviously, I just need inspiration in this area.

I like the new food ranking system, the Overall Nutritional Quality Index:

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/09/new-food-ranking-system-nuval-makes-nutritional-food-choices-easy-to-find/

If you are interested, here are the some of the scores for various foods:

http://www.nuval.com/pages/WhatAreScores.aspx

FAQs:

http://www.nuval.com/pages/Faq.aspx

Edited by RoughCollie

Aside from curry, are there other dishes you make that use turmeric?

I'll stick a *little* turmeric (not enough to have an impact on flavor, thus I'm not sure if it's enough to have any impact at all) on foods that wouldn't be hurt by a little yellow coloring. ;) Homemade mac-and-cheese, pollo con arroz or paella (I do use saffron too, of course)... And then, as you said, in larger quantities in curry type things such as curried lentils and aloo gobi and palak...

And it's not that I "hate" beets or prunes or anything, but it doesn't much occur to me to *eat* them either. ;)

Thanks Roughcolllie -I like lists like that!

FYI, I use cinnamon on veggies. A friend did it once when we were at dinner. I thought it was unusual, but am an open minded eater, and lo and behold it was good! I don't do it often - just forget I guess. I used it the other day in my African stew though (which also has tumeric in it)....

(I looked, but can't find the recipe quickly...)

I recently made/tried/loved baked kale! It was soooo awesome, the kids fought for the last piece! I wonder if we could do this to swiss chard too? Hmm....

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tuscan-Kale-Chips-351240

We eat beets once or twice a month, too, but I hate cooking them - messy!.

:-)

I eat many of those already, thats great!

I love beets. DH will tolerate them. The older 2 girls hate them

I have a great swiss chard recipe I will dig up and post

I love dried plums and would eat them even if they werent prunes!

I love frozen blueberries on cereal (defrosted!)

I cook with turmeric at least once or twice a week

I make pumpkin/spice cake muffins often

Cinnamon and cabbage make their way into our diets weekly at least

I love pomegranate juices, and my 6 yr old loves the seeds

No sardines in our diet!

Seeing sardines on the list reminded me of the sardine thing that PariSarah (I think) started on the old board. Anyone remember the sardine serving recommendations that came out of that discussion?

I am a fan of the humble anchovy. Wonder where this guy sits on the nutritional spectrum.

Well, I'm eating pumpkin seeds while reading this. Most of these are eaten by us, as well, although as you mentioned, turmeric isn't a regular spice I use weekly. Now, beets. That's another matter. I've tried them a million ways and simply detest them. They taste of dirt to me, no matter how they're prepared or even if they're pickled. Dirt.....

LOL, you are the only other person I have heard say this. I totally say they taste like dirt and no one understands. Blech...

This thread is reminding me of Doug on Nick. Doug's favorite band was The Beets, they sang

:

Fast food feels fuzzy

'Cuz it's made from stuff that's scuzzy

I always thought I was such a nerd

I refuse to touch that strange bean curd

I wouldn't eat it-

WOOH!

But it tastes good

Ah Ee Ooh

KILLER TOFU!

Ee Ah Ee

Ooh Ee Ooh

KILLER TOFU!

I eat my sugar cereal

But it makes my teeth bacterial!

Ee Ah Ee Oh Oh

Ee Ah Ee

If you're feelin' kind of cruddy

Ee Ah Ee

Just stick right by your buddy

Ee Ah Ee Oh Oh

I don't eat-

T-T-T-T-T-Too much fried food!

Yah!

Ah Ee Ooh

KILLER TOFU!

Ee Ah Ee

Ooh Ee Ooh

KILLER TOFUUUU!

Welp, the only thing from that list that's a regular around here would be the frozen blueberries. The rest of it? Blech! :ack2: Beets?! Really??? I've never had them, and I see no reason to change that now ;)

So in answer to your question: yes, people *really* don't eat this stuff. Well, some people don't anyway :D

Seeing sardines on the list reminded me of the sardine thing that PariSarah (I think) started on the old board. Anyone remember the sardine serving recommendations that came out of that discussion?

I am a fan of the humble anchovy. Wonder where this guy sits on the nutritional spectrum.

Mmmm anchovies. IMO there are few treats more delicious than a top-quality anchovy. Currently we've got 3 types in the fridge: oil packed, salt packed, and smoked. :drool5:

There are overly-salty low-quality tinned anchovies out there that damage the reputation of this delicacy, but if you've ever eaten a top-quality anchovy you know they are sublime!

One tip for those who like (or would like to like) sardines and to cook with them. Try Sprats. Sprats are sardines that have been lightly wood smoked prior to being tinned. The smoke add a wonderful complexity to the flavor and makes for a subtle improvement in the texture.

We enjoy broiling Sprats in a oven-proof dish in their own oil in a toaster oven until they get slightly crispy. Delicious accompanied with rice.

Sprats are also delicious sauteed (and roughly mashed) with lots of garlic and good olive (squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end) as a sauce for spaghetti (no tomatoes). Mmmm.

Bill

Welp, the only thing from that list that's a regular around here would be the frozen blueberries. The rest of it? Blech! :ack2:

Cinnamon earns a "blech"? Surely you must enjoy many things that contain some cinnamon. And I wonder if poor quality and cooking is what sometimes turns people off to certain foods, especially vegetables. There are sk many veggies ~ cabbage, spinach, zuke, asparagus, brussel sprouts ~ that I didn't care for until I was an adult because growing up, I was exposed to the Cooked-to-Death Vegetable Syndrome.;)

Beets?! Really??? I've never had them, and I see no reason to change that now ;)

Okay, now, at the risk of sounding like your mama...How on earth can you say you don't like something when you've never even tried it?:)

Sprats are also delicious sauteed (and roughly mashed) with lots of garlic and good olive (squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end) as a sauce for spaghetti (no tomatoes). Mmmm.

Bill

A good friend introduced me to a Sicilian pasta dish that is made as you described except with anchovies. My husband thought that he did not like anchovies until he had the dish!

In defence of the poor beet: not a big fan myself but roasted baby beets are tasty. Ages ago I had a delicious meal at a restaurant in Krakow, borscht served with some sort of savory pie. I'm thinking that the food may have been "Ukrainian style". Anyone know what I was eating? (Ah the joys of being an open minded traveler...)

Cinnamon earns a "blech"? Surely you must enjoy many things that contain some cinnamon. And I wonder if poor quality and cooking is what sometimes turns people off to certain foods, especially vegetables. There are sk many veggies ~ cabbage, spinach, zuke, asparagus, brussel sprouts ~ that I didn't care for until I was an adult because growing up, I was exposed to the Cooked-to-Death Vegetable Syndrome.;)

OK, OK....cinnamon is not blech. Yes, I love cinnamon and use it frequently. Forgot about that one; I was overcome with visions of dh eating pickled beets right outta the jar. :ack2: I have come to enjoy more veggies as I get older too. While I was growing up, my mother would boil all the flavor, crispness, nutrition, and YUMMINESS out of every vegetable that dared enter her kitchen. Nothing worse than mushy, overcooked veggies!

Okay, now, at the risk of sounding like your mama...How on earth can you say you don't like something when you've never even tried it?:)

I'll be 45 in March, and I have decided to take a stance on certain things. Beets are one of those things. Sorry. All I know is that after dh eats the entire jarful of them, he HAS to kiss me. That in and of itself is enough to make me swear off the things for LIFE!!! :blink:

:lol:

And yes, you do sound like my mother. ;)

Edited by DB in NJ

We eat 6 of them at least once a week.

For breakfast, we sauté bull's blood beets and swiss chard from the garden to eat with eggs.

We have Cinnamon daily in oatmeal and hot cocoa.

We eat frozen blueberries with homemade yogurt for a "bed night snack", and canned pumpkin in muffins once a week.

Now, I need to go look up the other list, and see if we eat any of those foods.

Because I tend not to follow exact specifications, this recipe is rather loosey-goosey. It gives you the main idea, though, of the spices and vegetables. Very easy, delicious, and nutritious. Enjoy!:)

Mixed Vegetable Curry

3 T olive oil

1 onion, sliced

1 t cumin

1 t chili powder

2 t coriander

1 t turmeric

Diced vegetables ~ any mixture of potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, turnips, zucchini, eggplant, parsnips, leeks; use whatever quantities you want and adjust seasonings as needed.

4 tomatoes, chopped (or used canned)

1 ½ cups hot chicken or vegetable broth

Saute onion in oil until soft, then add spices. Mix in diced vegetables, coating them with spices. Add tomatoes and broth, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer until vegetables are just tender. Serve on rice (brown basmati is nice).

A good friend introduced me to a Sicilian pasta dish that is made as you described except with anchovies. My husband thought that he did not like anchovies until he had the dish!

In defence of the poor beet: not a big fan myself but roasted baby beets are tasty. Ages ago I had a delicious meal at a restaurant in Krakow, borscht served with some sort of savory pie. I'm thinking that the food may have been "Ukrainian style". Anyone know what I was eating? (Ah the joys of being an open minded traveler...)

Anchovies stimulate taste receptors for what is called the "fifth taste" aka "umami". This savory taste exists in addition to the more well know categories; sweet, sour, salty and bitter.

A small amount of "umami" can go a long way toward enhancing other flavors and creating an exciting taste sensation.

I commonly mash an anchovy into my homemade salad dressings, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard individuals (who would loudly and vociferously declare how much they hate anchovies) tell me that it was the best salad they've ever had. :lol:

A good way to incorporate "umami" into savory dishes is to add a few drops of a Vietnamese Fish Sauce into the mix. A tiny amount (as it is strong stuff) makes things really interesting.

I like the Anchovy pasta too :001_smile:

And beets, and cabbage, and pomegranates....

Bill

I was overcome with visions of dh eating pickled beets right outta the jar. :ack2: I have come to enjoy more veggies as I get older too. While I was growing up, my mother would boil all the flavor, crispness, nutrition, and YUMMINESS out of every vegetable that dared enter her kitchen. Nothing worse than mushy, overcooked veggies!

Exactly! Who knew brussel sprouts sauteed in a bit of olive oil & butter, flavored with a touch of salt & pepper, and tossed with roasted almond slices could be so divine? And yes, beets to me, growing up, were of the canned variety (shudder), as was asparagus (double shudder). Fresh is a whole 'nuther world.

I'll be 45 in March, and I have decided to take a stance on certain things. Beets are one of those things. Sorry.

I'll be 40 in March. Let's celebrate together with a plate of Harvard beets.:D

We love this recipe from Ree. I made it often during the summer. Delish!

Asian Noodle Salad

SALAD INGREDIENTS:

2 packages cooked, rinsed, and cooled linguini noodles.

1/2 to 1 head sliced Napa cabbage

1/2 to 1 head sliced purple cabbage

1/2 to 1 bag baby spinach

1 red bell pepper, sliced thin

1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin

1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin

1 small bag bean sprouts

3 sliced scallions

3 peeled, sliced cucumbers

LOTS of chopped cilantro—up to one bunch

1 can whole cashews, lightly toasted in skillet

DRESSING:

Juice of 1 lime

8 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons sesame oil

6 tablespoons soy sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

3 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped

2 cloves chopped garlic

More chopped cilantro—LOTS

Mix together salad ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Mix with tongs or hands and serve on platter.

*Dressing keeps up to three days before serving, WITHOUT cilantro.

Thought of another time I use turmeric. These two tagine recipes are from my friend Julie Bogart, who lived in Morocco at one time. I've used both saffron and turmeric in these.

Tagine of Beef and Vegetables

3 lb. stewing beef (including some bone, cut into chunks)

1 lb. onions, sliced

2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped

2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1/4 saffron (optional or substitute with tumeric or leave out)

2 Tbsp. olive oil

Equal amounts of carrots, turnips, potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower, green bean/peas

Put beef chunks in Dutch oven with oil; stir and heat slightly. Then add onions and tomatoes; sprinkle salt, pepper and saffron over all. Add a little water, cover and bring to simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost done (1 1/2-2 hours, depending on the cut). Add carrots and turnips to the meat. 10 minutes later, add the potatoes, then in 5 minutes, add the cauliflower. In another ten minutes add the zucchini and green beans or peas. Cook everything for fifteen more minutes before serving. (Put the carrots etc. in the sauce, but leave the potatoes sort of sitting above to steam so they don’t get mushy).

Chicken Tagine

2 (3-4 pound) chickens (I sometimes just use a package of thighs or a cut up chicken)

1/4 cup olive oil

1 Tbsp. butter

1 rounded teaspoon of ginger

1 whole, uncut onion

3 cloves of crushed garlic

1 teaspoon saffron or tumeric (if you don't have this, not a big deal)

1 1/2 cup water

2-3 handfuls of green or black olives (“real†olives, not from a jar)

peel of 1 lemon

Heat oil & butter in stock pot or dutch oven. Add chicken and all remaining ingredients except olives and lemon peel. Bring to boil; turn down to moderate heat. Cook with lid ON adding a little water if necessary. Cook 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Remove onion when done cooking. Turn off heat and add lemon peels and olives. Stir through and allow cook on low for about five minutes.

Bake French fries while chicken cooks. Place chicken on large serving platter, add olives and sauce, top with fries. Serve w/ cut up bread or pitas. No plates. Everyone eats off the common dish. Dip your bread in the sauce and scoop up the olives and tear off the meat with your fingers. You can eat the French fries directly off the platter or scoop them with bread and meat. Everyone only eats what is in front of him or her. If you have a large family, you can scoop some off onto a small plate for those who are too far to reach the platter. B'ismillah!

Side salad: cut tomatoes w/garlic, onion and parsley tossed w/ olive oil, lemon, salt & pepper.

Okay, just in case anyone is reading this thread, wondering how to add these foods to your diet.:tongue_smilie: This easy salad is chock full of good health ~ and I promise it tastes great, too.:)

Red Cabbage Salad with Oranges & Dates

1/2 head red cabbage, finely shredded

3 oranges, peeled & segmented

1/3 cup chopped, toasted almonds (I've used other nuts, too)

5 dates (I usually use Medjool), pitted & chopped

2 T walnut oil (can use other oils, but walnut (or flax) is a great choice nutritionally)

2 T lemon juice

Combine first four ingredients, drizzle with oil & lemon juice, and toss gently.