Menu

If you pay to have your hair colored

what do you pay for a full color, highlights, and a cut?

I went to a new hairdresser yesterday. My hair was sort of a mess - I hated the way it had been colored in the past, and had let about an inch grow in (very grey, but with natural pre-grey color too). My friend had recommended this woman and specifically said that her prices were reasonable.

It was a pretty nice salon in an upscale shopping area, so maybe I should have expected this, but when I went to pay, it was $310! That's without a tip. I was in shock.

I like my new hair. It's much darker (back to how it was naturally) and looks pretty. It took her 3 hours to do it (though she was pretty slow) but my gracious. $310 is a LOT of money and there is no way I will pay that to periodically maintain this.

So last night it was our anniverary, and DH felt like he was out with a mistress because the hair is a big change, and I told him that mistresses are very expensive:)

:eek: That IS a lot!

I pay $95 for a cut, color, & styling. I was feeling pretty extravagant about doing that 2x per year. If nothing else, your $310 made me feel better about my $95. :D

I hope you can enjoy your new "do" even if the expense hurt a little!

Haha! My salon bill looks good by comparison too! But, sounds like it was worth every penny!

I'm in St. Louis County, and I pay $100 for cut and color. Mr. Haircut Guy doesn't do much with styling because he knows it's hopeless -- I'm not going to ever style it myself (for example, I lost my comb in September, and still haven't replaced it), and am likely to go home and wash it immediately if he starts getting too fussy with it and using lots of products on it.

I went to a new hairdresser yesterday. My hair was sort of a mess - I hated the way it had been colored in the past, and had let about an inch grow in (very grey, but with natural pre-grey color too). My friend had recommended this woman and specifically said that her prices were reasonable.

It was a pretty nice salon in an upscale shopping area, so maybe I should have expected this, but when I went to pay, it was $310! That's without a tip. I was in shock.

I like my new hair. It's much darker (back to how it was naturally) and looks pretty. It took her 3 hours to do it (though she was pretty slow) but my gracious. $310 is a LOT of money and there is no way I will pay that to periodically maintain this.

So last night it was our anniverary, and DH felt like he was out with a mistress because the hair is a big change, and I told him that mistresses are very expensive:)

Whoa! That is pricey, but if you love then it was worth it. I wouldn't do it regularly at that price though.

I do regularly get my hair cut, coloured and highlighted, then blow-dried/styled. It takes about 2 hours total and my hairdresser charges $75 for that. I actually pay her in Avon. We kind of barter/exchange for it that way.

FWIW, though, I'm in a very rural area, and some people think she's too pricey around here. I think it's real value because she's VERY good at it.

wow, I only pay $55 for cut, color and either blow dry or flat iron (whichever i prefer) and it looks good. I go in every 10 weeks. Also it only costs $10 for my dd to have her long hair cut into layers and side bangs and all the other styles that the teen girls like.

It takes about 1 and 1/2 hours for my ha

Im in Raleigh, NC. I go to The Hair Cuttery (now Famous Hair, I think). I pay about $95 for haircut, full color plus highlights, and style. I get compliments on my hair all the time, and they come from people who pay a lot more for their hair than I do.

My hairdresser charges about $65 for cut, color, highlights, and style. Then I tip about $20 on top of that. I never knew I got such a great deal - but then again I live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for reminding me I need to make another appointment.

I bet you look lovely, Dana, don't feel bad about spending the $$. I've been taken by surprise like that too. Just enjoy your fabulous hair!

Dana

Dana, I'm glad you enjoy your "new" hair, but I've seen photos of you and, while my opinion doesn't really matter, I must tell you that I love the way your hair looks naturally. I just...oh, my good grief. I can not fathom spending three hours sitting around breathing in salon fumes ~ forget the price ~ and having someone chemically color my hair. And then to have to shell out $310 would only add insult to injury. I beg of you, girlfriend: Resist the habit!:D

Edited by Colleen

For three hours though, that sounds about right. My stylist tells me that their prices work out to about $100/hour. She's told me several times about teenagers who come in wanting very complicated/extreme color changes, and she always gives them an estimate before starting. Sometimes they leave! If you had to have some "color correcting," I'm not surprised that it took three hours, but they should have warned you.

Anyway, mine washes/cuts my hair and cuts my son's hair in twenty minutes for $34, and I've never been disappointed. For the gray -- I buy L'Oreal with a coupon ;).

I pay about $85 incl tip every 3-4 months for shampoo, cut, foiled highlights, and style.

In the city I last paid $35 for highlights, cut and style. I think the usual price is $45. That's at Fantastic Sams.

In the past I used the Walmart place... it was $45 there for highlighting, cut and style. I'd had it done at the beauty school, too, and it cost the same, but took three hours instead of 1 1/2!

I'm so sorry you're out this extra money. What's done is done and I hope you can just enjoy it and ... in the future... enjoy knowing how much money you're saving!

Mine takes a couple of hours for cut, foil highlighting, and style, and with tip it comes to about $100. I thought that was high, but maybe not! To be fair, I do go to a more upscale salon in this area. I could get it done a lot more cheaply but I love the way they work with my hair because I have a very odd wave that's difficult to work with.

I pay 75 plus tip for highlight (the pull through the cap kind), cut, style. If you do a color, I believe it is less than that since a highlight is more time consuming. I go maybe 3 times a year. I have fine and oily hair. I have discovered that getting it highlighted makes it thicker and less oily! Woohoo.

Edited by Mom2legomaniacs

I pay $150 for a cut, color and highlights, about every 2 months. It takes about an hour and a half.

Ditto for me -- but mine takes about 2 hours, because my stylist is INCREDIBLY thorough. Sometimes 2.5 hours. I usually get three colors put in at once, using foils.

Best stylist I've ever had, too. I love her.

Edited by jejily

I think I pay around $90 for cut, color and style. I went to this lady because she is MUCH less expensive than the $140 I used to pay for something I didn't *love.* The thing with this gal is that she has her own opinions about how my hair should look and doesn't cut it consistently - drives me batty. But, she does a great job on the girls' hair, and her salon is VERY child-friendly, so it works for us.

I'm considering trying a highlight kit from the store, and then going to get my hair cut. Dh said he would pay for corrective coloring if I mess it up, but that I will have to live with it for 5 days before I can get it corrected. Not sure why that's his deal - but whatever. :lol: