Menu

Did anybody see Oprah today about her continuing struggle with her weight?

I liked how she said it wasn't really about the weight, but about how out of balance she was and not loving herself enough. I really see this in my life. I can point to things I'm not happy about in my life, but I don't know how to fix 'em. And because I can't seem to fix 'em, I turn to food which like Bob Greene said is attractive and available.

Last year was supposed to be the year I got control of my weight issue and here I am a year later and only 5 lbs. lighter. Last year I joined a gym and found I hated going there. It was a lonely experience and sometimes I would be in pain for days afterward. Then I joined WW (for the 5th time?) and found that although I made the time to go to the meetings, I didn't take it to heart and plan how to make it work in my life.

I really think people like me who have a personal history of obesity, not to mention a family who is/was morbidly obese, really have to dig deeper into the whys, and not just think only about burning more calories than we take in. But then, once you establish the whys, then what do you do?

Anyone have personal reflections on this?

I liked how she said it wasn't really about the weight, but about how out of balance she was and not loving herself enough. I really see this in my life. I can point to things I'm not happy about in my life, but I don't know how to fix 'em. And because I can't seem to fix 'em, I turn to food which like Bob Greene said is attractive and available.

Last year was supposed to be the year I got control of my weight issue and here I am a year later and only 5 lbs. lighter. Last year I joined a gym and found I hated going there. It was a lonely experience and sometimes I would be in pain for days afterward. Then I joined WW (for the 5th time?) and found that although I made the time to go to the meetings, I didn't take it to heart and plan how to make it work in my life.

I really think people like me who have a personal history of obesity, not to mention a family who is/was morbidly obese, really have to dig deeper into the whys, and not just think only about burning more calories than we take in. But then, once you establish the whys, then what do you do?

This is a very good summary and very good insight. I'm struggling more than ever, myself. I'll be interested in reading the other responses.

Okay, I didn't see the show. I don't watch Oprah. But in your post you mentioned that Oprah said she wasn't loving herself enough? What did she mean by that?

My mom gets her magazine, and when I visit (once every summer) I'll sometimes flip through a copy. I'll occasionally hear from others when things happen on the show. It seems that so much of Oprah's show/magazine focuses on pleasing herself and the ways she loves herself. What was she supposedly missing that was causing the weight gain?

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer but the question. For me, it doesn't matter *why* I'm _________ (insert problem here), it only matters that I *am* _______ and so what am I gonna' do about it?

Maybe she loves herself TOO much! Who cares if she can afford to pay Bob? If she spent that time and money say...mentoring a young person, she could do a lot for society!

Carrie:-)

She's started whole schools that mentor a lot of young people.

But re. the weight thing. I am right with you on meaning to deal with my weight last year and still struggling at pretty much the same place. So this year I've decided to take mini steps that I stick with absolutely. My first mini step started a few months ago. I got a diet buddy (actually I have a couple of them now). We e-mail almost daily to encourage each other. My second mini-step started 4 weeks ago. I started to do strength training (only 10 min.) for 6 days a week. The 7th day is my rest day. I have had perfect "exercise attendance" for 4 weeks. I haven't lost any weight but I do feel a bit more definition in my muscles and I think I'm getting a bit stronger. My third mini step I started yesterday. At night I have the hardest time with the munchies. Last night and tonight I had an herbal flavored tea instead of the snack bag. I still had a small snack but having the tea to sip did help me with my cravings. This mini-step is so new that I can't honestly tell you if it will be one that I'll stick to.

Good for you, Jean! Those mini steps sound like the way to go to ease into a lifestyle change. Oprah said something similar about the strength or resistance training, that she has had slower weight loss but sees a difference in the reshaping of her body and the way her clothes fit. All I need is to plan the first step!

...really have to dig deeper into the whys, and not just think only about burning more calories than we take in. But then, once you establish the whys, then what do you do?

Digging into the whys seems like a counseling issue. Have you ever considered talking to someone? I've done it several times in my adult life and it's always so helpful. A counselor can also help figure out what to replace the eating with. For example, if you're eating because you're lonely, you try to get out more. Maybe church activities or a knitting circle, etc. I eat when I'm depressed and/or upset so my doctor (not counselor) put me on depression/anxiety medication because of my very long personal history and I'll be on this medicine indefinitely.

If you already know the whys and you don't want to go to counseling, we could probably help you brainstorm some ideas. If you can answer the following, it would be a good place to start: I eat the unhealthiest when ______. The idea is to try to head off the bad habits with better ones. But identifying the problems can be tricky sometimes.

Another consideration would be to try Dr. Phil's weight loss book. I personally think he just jumped on the bandwagon with that one, but when I tried to get through the first few parts of the book, I noticed the first time that I just wasn't ready. I WANTED to be ready, but I didn't WANT to be honest. I read back through those sections a couple months ago, started making changes (and BELIEVED in them!) and it helped me follow through. I started Curves a couple weeks ago and a diet. Weight comes off pretty quickly (for me) if I put my mind to it. Of course, I KNOW I have other issues to continue working on and that they will come into play big time when I get close to my first goal.

It has NEVER been enough for me to just notice the problem and decide what to do about it. It works VERY short term. I don't want short term. I don't want to lose that same 20 pounds again just to gain it back again. I have some additional obstacles and it is too easy for me to lose all ability to "just do it." I need to address the underlying issues so that after a fall, I can get right back up; and so I can push through some barriers I've set up for myself over the years.

I taped it on my dvr and then watched as I rode my exercise bike for the first time in about 9 years. My dh bought me that bike (that I asked for) about 16-17 years ago. Way back, I would come home on my lunch hour and ride. All these years, I wouldn't get rid of the bike. Even though I was never using it. Anyway, I didn't really plan to watch Oprah talk about fitness/diet, etc. I just am trying to work it out that I will exercise. I love tv, so I thought if I planned to watch a show while I exercised - I may not notice that I hate exercise. My bil lives next door and has a really nice home gym, but there is no distraction. I just spend my whole time on his eliptical thinking how much I hate exercise. I used to walk a lot when I lived in Florida, but the weather doesn't work out as well here. So, that brought me to my bike. As an added incentive, we got a Wii for Christmas. I got Outdoor Challenge until we can get Wii Fit. Somehow I am rambling... I also wanted to say that I so connected with Oprah saying she forgot to put herself on her schedule. I spent a great deal of our Christmas break trying to pinpoint that exact thing. I am not one for New Year resolutions, but I did decide to try changing some things. Of course there was the exercise. I also am going to try to use Sparkpeople again. Then I want to put time aside to scrapbook. I really love doing that, but since we have moved - never do it. I am also going to go to a bible study with a friend. I have never done that before. I guess I am just putting me back on the schedule.

I liken losing weight with quitting smoking (I've done both in my life). It's not as simple as just putting down that cigarette/cookie/pick-you-toxin. But yet it is. There is a battle that happens when you crave. You need to have some good ammunition to fight that battle - positive thoughts, ideas of your new better self, how you will look, feel, behave, how your life will be improved, etc. Clear, distinct visions - not vague thoughts.

For smoking, I needed REALLY big motivators. The man I loved (and am now married to) DIDN'T smoke. How long would he really put up with a smoker? I didn't want to find out. I quit. I started again a few times later, but getting/becoming pregnant was my new motivator. But those are BIG. I don't know if I could have done it w/out something huge to push me into that very uncomfortable space. I will never smoke again, b/c I don't know how I would quit without having another baby! ha! And that's pretty much out of the question....

For eating, what has worked for me is simply losing weight! Catch 22, right? But when I aimed for 5 lbs, then 10lbs, I started to feel GREAT. I liked the way I looked. I had to buy NEW CLOTHES! (fun!) That was enough for me to feel more serious and continue on the path. Then I read a few books on eating healthy, discovering all of the evils of so many of the things I was eating. This helped solidify my thoughts and feelings, giving me more motivation. Then there is the medical side. I have become pre-diabetic. I don't want this to be permanent. If I didn't cut it out, I would seal my fate for LIFE. It's one thing to flirt with a bad mood or a desire to momentarily please my taste buds and eat 1/2 a cake, but it's an entire other thing to knowingly permanently, unrevokably destroy your body's magnificent functioning power. This motivated me.

Anyway, just some thoughts for you. I know it's hard. You can do it though!

Must run - kids needing me. Hang in there! Clear visions!

- Stacey in MA

I totally agree with what little I heard her say and what little people have said that she said (that's confusing, oh well.)

I joined WW and have been busting my hiney to follow my points, get in an hour of exercise (which takes carving out time for myself or "showing myself love").

I had a tough day yesterday and went on a binge. Not a true binge and the end results weren't horrible, but it went beyond ruining my points for the day and using up the extra points I get for the week. Obviously there are underlying issues that haven't been resolved.

I'm glad that Oprah is so honest about it(and I don't like Oprah.) If she still struggles with her weight and she has chefs and trainers and nutritionists at her beck and call, then I don't feel like such a failure when I'm trying to train myself and cook for myself.

I guess I am just putting me back on the schedule.

It sounds better within the context of what you were saying instead of quoted by itself, but I have decided this also.

I joined WW. That means I'll have to carve out 45 minutes a week for a meeting. I've got multiple options of meeting times, so it's flexible. BUT, I have to pull myself away and actually go.

I'm exercising an hour a day. Even when the laundry needs folding. Even when everyone is at home and I want to hang out with them. When it's warmer, we can go together...right now it's mostly treadmill.

I'm taking a photography class to learn how to use my new camers.

The thing is, my family isn't complaining. My dh even scheduled the photography class. He'll go pull the treadmill out and direct me to go. "I'M" the one that has this idea that they can't survive without me for an hour at a time.

I'm glad that Oprah is so honest about it(and I don't like Oprah.) If she still struggles with her weight and she has chefs and trainers and nutritionists at her beck and call, then I don't feel like such a failure when I'm trying to train myself and cook for myself.

This is what irks me about Oprah. She has all these resources and still fails. Doesn't that just give us little people more excuses to fail? Doesn't it make Oprah a bigger failure than the rest of us?

Years ago I watched Madonna's "Truth or Dare" movie. I remember the scene where she is actually eating. An assistant brings her a large tupperware container with some sore of "meal" in it (looked like lentils and mush) and she quickly devoured it and moved on with her work. Obviously, there are those who "eat to live" and the rest of us that "live to eat".

I've always thought that if I were rich enough, I'd just have my assistant bring me my meal and be done with it. All the shopping, planning and preparation of makes food too much of a focus in my life. Without the focus on it, I think I'd have no problem thinking of it as purely fuel and not have all the baggage and consternation over managing my intake of it.

Just my thoughts.

K (obviously not a "foodie")

I watched the show yesterday and was disappointed in her cop-out answer: Balance.

I guess her spiritual guru/New Earth mumbo jumbo doesn't work after all.

Oprah is searching for something she won't find in a self-help book, diet-of-the-month, or one of her New Earth spiritual advisors --

Jesus. Not the Jesus that Eckart Tolle writes about. The true Jesus in The Bible. In Him is the answer to ALL of life's worries and problems.

This is just mama talkin' on a Tuesday mornin'....

Beth, I am a Christian and do believe in the true Jesus in the Bible, so I do agree with you there. Since this thread is really about how to deal with a weight issue and not about Oprah and her personal beliefs, may I ask if you have a personal experience with a weight issue where Jesus has helped you. I attend a weight loss program through church called Weigh Down (I think) that had the spiritual element in it. Unfortunately it didn't help me.

Edited by Evergreen State Sue

Maybe she loves herself TOO much! Who cares if she can afford to pay Bob? If she spent that time and money say...mentoring a young person, she could do a lot for society!

Carrie:-)

:lol: This struck me funny too. I would never have thought that Oprah didn't love herself enough.

I think you raise a good point, that if she got involved with something positive outside herself, it could change her focus and help her self-esteem issues. I know she's done large charitable works and projects but that's much different than sitting down and teaching someone to read -- again, for the benefit that Oprah herself would receive.

This is what irks me about Oprah. She has all these resources and still fails. Doesn't that just give us little people more excuses to fail? Doesn't it make Oprah a bigger failure than the rest of us?

I think she addresses this. No one else can get on the treadmill for her. Her assistants can't stop her from going on a food binge when she is craving something. Her life is very public, which brings on additional stressors most of us do not face. So no, it does not make her a "bigger" failure, it makes her a real person.

I, for one, find it reassuring that even someone with her resources struggles deep down the same way I do. And when she talks about how she has to try on tons of outfits to find one that fits, I can relate. Only fortunately, when something is inevitably tight on me and I go out, I don't have to be seen by millions of people.

Beth, I am a Christian and do believe in the true Jesus in the Bible, so I do agree with you there. Since this thread is really about how to deal with a weight issue and not about Oprah and her personal beliefs, may I ask if you have a personal experience with a weight issue where Jesus has helped you. I attend a weight loss program through church called Weigh Down (I think) that had the spiritual element in it. Unfortunately it didn't help me.

Oh, I thought the thread was about Oprah.

Yes, Jesus has helped me through all of life's struggles -- many that I bring on myself. Noone has a gun to my head telling me to eat that 4th piece of pizza. Its my choice. Jesus gives me the self-control IF I choose to take hold of it.

Thanks for asking! Great thread!

I just feel bad for her, regardless of what her reasons are. It's bad enough when you have to struggle with your weight, but when you have to do it in such a public way, that can't have positive effects.

My personal 2 cents on the issue are this: Weight issues are different for so many people. My weight has yo yo'd ever since my first dc, 3 years skinny, 3 years heavy. It's very frustrating. Half of my family is morbidly obese, the other half not. It's just the luck of the draw I got the fat genes. Anyways... for what I see with my family and myself, part of this struggle is genetic; part of it is environmental. Yes I can lose the weight, I have before and hopefully will again. Here's the thing though, when I have to do this it takes ALL of my time. Seriously there is room for nothing else. My whole life becomes devoted to losing weight and getting healthy. That doesn't sound like balance to me, but that's the way it is.

And it irks me to no end when people say, "It's all about will power, just don't eat as much." Umm hello, it's not as easy as all that. There is a reason why obesity is genetically linked. I've researched this to death, I've worked for bariatric doctors and have in depth conversations with them. It's not that easy. I truly believe some people lack off switches. There is something missing in their synapsis that shut off when they are full. It's not as simple as "don't just eat as much" don't you think if it were, obesity wouldn't be the issue it is today.Arghh...Off my soapbox.

Back to Oprah. I too find it, for lack of a better word, reassuring, that someone with her resources has to struggle. It makes it easier for me to cross that off of my cop out list. You know that converstation you have with yourself, "Well if I had all that money, I'd be skinny too: all the personal chef's and trainers and such.." It's apparent that's not the case for everyone.

And we really can't make the assumption that just because to the public eye she appears to love herself by way of what the magazines and her handlers want us to see, that she does. She was abused as a child and I think that's major baggage for her and that's what she refers to as needing to love herself.

I mostly struggle with the question of how much money have her fans spent over the years chasing her latest weight loss strategy? I feel sorry for her, to a certain degree, because she seems to have some much major issues than pounds going on. Her constant yo-yoing is no secret.

I just struggle with the fact that she has led so many down a weight-loss road only to say, in effect, sorry but that doesn't work long term. She makes money when she gains weight because others tune in to hear her sob story but then she makes money promoting her latest weight loss technique when she loses. I just think it comes across very insincere to me.

I struggle with keeping my weight off but feel for me it is a state of mind sort of thing. When I get my mind in gear, I exercise regularly and eat right. When I don't care - well, it shows in my weight and attitude. I just feel sorry for the women out there who tried her "ways" and failed, leaving them even more depressed than before.

I just feel bad for her, regardless of what her reasons are. It's bad enough when you have to struggle with your weight, but when you have to do it in such a public way, that can't have positive effects.

She's chosen the struggle and to make such a public issue of it. Frankly, I'd love it if she finally decided that she was simply meant to be chubby, focused on being healthy rather than thin (and despite all her talk it's the thin that she's after) and dropped all the talk about weight.

She's chosen the struggle and to make such a public issue of it. Frankly, I'd love it if she finally decided that she was simply meant to be chubby, focused on being healthy rather than thin (and despite all her talk it's the thin that she's after) and dropped all the talk about weight.

Yes, she has chosen to make it a focus in her career, but A) I truly think that by making it such a focus as she has, that she really felt she was helping people and B) for many years her weight, as that of many celebrities, is constantly fodder for the media, so I think that by her focusing on it, it was her way owning up to it making less a big deal for scrutiny, kwim? Unfortunately, it's backfired.

Now, don't get it twisted...I do agree that if she wanted to "own" her weight, your right, she should have just admitted that "Yes I am chubby, but I am healthy. Love me or leave me alone"

As the original poster, I appreciate all the comments from posters relating to your personal weight loss journey and tips or suggestions you have given me. I did not mean this to be a place to bash Oprah. Though I don't agree with her on many things, I do connect with her on the feelings of embarrassment of having to deal with the weight issue when at one point you thought you "got it" only to have to battle the bulge again. I can't imagine anyone, especially a very public figure like Oprah, would choose to gain weight as a means draw more viewers of her show or readers of her magazine. I think because she is a public figure and can't hide her figure, she is just trying to share as she understands it in the moment what she is going through. I believe she mentioned her goal was to be healthy, not skinny.

(I'm new to posting on this board and didn't have time to figure out how I quote posters properly. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts with me and others.)

Sue

I do agree that if she wanted to "own" her weight, your right, she should have just admitted that "Yes I am chubby, but I am healthy. Love me or leave me alone"

I only caught a couple partial segments last night but part of what she said was that she is NOT healthy. She is having health issues directly related to her weight.

Years ago I watched Madonna's "Truth or Dare" movie. I remember the scene where she is actually eating. An assistant brings her a large tupperware container with some sore of "meal" in it (looked like lentils and mush) and she quickly devoured it and moved on with her work. Obviously' date=' there are those who "eat to live" and the rest of us that "live to eat".

I've always thought that if I were rich enough, I'd just have my assistant bring me my meal and be done with it. All the shopping, planning and preparation of makes food too much of a focus in my life. Without the focus on it, I think I'd have no problem thinking of it as purely fuel and not have all the baggage and consternation over managing my intake of it.

Just my thoughts.

K (obviously not a "foodie")[/quote']

No. It just shows me that no matter what you have or don't have it all comes down to if you are ready or not. Its like all of the sudden your switch in your brain gets turned on and nothing can stop you from accomplishing your goal. Until you are ready that switch stays in the off position.

I'll be interested in reading the other responses.

You know, I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking about the phrase "fat and happy". Honestly, the happier I am, the fatter I am. Not that I'm happy being fat, but that when I'm busy doing all sorts of things other than doing something repetitive to lose weight (like swimming), and I just eat until I'm full, and do have a bowl of ice cream 3 times a week and cocoa if I'm cold (I really do eat well....I just eat A LOT) and get on with all the other wonderful things in life, I'm HAPPY.

When I am sad or pressured or hurt, I lose my desire for food, and recall the lowest point in my life when everyone was telling me "how great" I looked and I could barely put one foot in front of another I was so heart broken. Okay, I was 5-5 and 119 pounds. Men smiled at me. I looked great in jeans, but I was miserable.

I'm really happy now. I have few worries, love my job, my child is thriving, and I have a hubby who doesn't hate me. My very frail old folks are gone and I no longer worry about a miserable death for them. I'm the happiest and heaviest I've ever been (180). Last time I was under 150 I had to swim three times a week and watch EVERY bite. I went to bed hungry every night. I finally got tired of it after 18 months or so.

I can't be alone.....

I didn't see it. But given that I know enough miserable skinny people, I would say it's her metabolism and her body type. She is going to kill herself trying to be skinny.

If I were her, I would be considering lipo for the trouble areas and be done with it.

And yk, I like her, desptie her Pop Culture Diva-ness. I think she is very generous (emotionally and otherwise) , and with a good sense of humour. She would be a very different Oprah if she had a fast metabolism. And if she had never come up with Book Club, fewer people would hate her. ;)

Of course, I would like to know why big thighs and big boobs mean you hate yourself?

Ive never been good at using willpower to stop doing anything- because if I deprive myself, I will flip to the other extreme at some stage. I think thats just the way the mind works.

But if something deep in me changes, and all the stars aline with that change :), what was difficult suddenly becomes easy. I haven't eaten cane sugar or honey since September but it hasn't been hard because it was just time. I find that things like going on diets, cleanses, or anything that involves restrictions, always happens in its own time and if I try and do it with willpower, I just hurt myself. It doesn't take willpower for me not to eat sugar, I just dont want to more than I want to.

Taking the "shoulds" out of it all helps me too. If I think I "should", another part of me goes "I dont care" or "make me"- you know, the inner brat. But if I just want to, in my own way, in my own time- my inner brat doesn't sabotage me anywhere near as much. I dont think guilt is a good motivator.

When I am sad or pressured or hurt, I lose my desire for food, and recall the lowest point in my life when everyone was telling me "how great" I looked and I could barely put one foot in front of another I was so heart broken. Okay, I was 5-5 and 119 pounds. Men smiled at me. I looked great in jeans, but I was miserable.

This reminds me of my mother, who has always been a large woman as much as I remember. She is tall and big. (I am not, but I took after dad's side of the family). She has a good dress sense and as a child I always thought she was beautiful, even though I was aware she was technically overweight. She doesnt overeat, and she doesnt eat sweets, so i dont know why she is big other than it is just the way she is and she has chronic fatigue and glandular issues after an early hysterectomy and long term hormonal replacement. She confided in me once though that the time in her life when she was slim- I think her early twenties when I was a baby- she was terribly unhappy. She feels better in her body when she carries some weight. She also stresses about her weight because it is just do hard to exercise when she has chronic fatigue and fibro.

So no, I dont think you are alone in being fat and happy- happy being when you are just getting on with your life in a good way. And I think that things like heart attacks are acutlaly related a lot more to emotional states than doctors give credit for.

With me, it's not an issue of losing and re-gaining that 20 lbs., but losing and re-gaining that 120 lbs. Yes, you read that right: 120lbs.

Five years ago, I lost that 120 lbs. once again. I looked SO good, considering that my tummy hangs down with no muscles after 3 major surgeries.

BUT......to get there, I had this to eat daily for over 4 months:

1/2 cup of yogurt

two small bites of Canadian bacon

1 small piece of meat (fish or chicken only)

a plate of veggies (preferably raw)

For me, it's not a matter of smaller portions or just a bit less, but more like next-to-nothing.

And my final 'skinny' weight was 185 lbs. If I didn't eat anything at all for two days, I could drop one more pound, but that was as far down as the scale would go.

I walked 2 miles a day in 30-40 minutes.

You know what? I was MISERABLE. My skin would bruise if someone just touched me. I was always hungry and shopping for new clothes was the only thing that would take my mind off food.

But, I *looked* good. And people treated me like a real person instead of a fat blob. So that was nice.

Honestly, I do believe it is genetic as my mother's side of the family is 'mostly' morbidly obese. My mother wasn't. My sister isn't. My dad isn't. It's just me. sigh.

I keep trying to lose that 120 lbs. again. Maybe this is the year to starve again so others can see that I am a person and worthy to be treated as such. Something to hold on to during the 'fat' year, kwim?

OP: good luck in your search for the 'why'. I think it is different for each person, and I think that people that don't have weight problems simply do NOT understand. They can't.

I'm really happy now. I have few worries, love my job, my child is thriving, and I have a hubby who doesn't hate me. My very frail old folks are gone and I no longer worry about a miserable death for them. I'm the happiest and heaviest I've ever been (180). Last time I was under 150 I had to swim three times a week and watch EVERY bite. I went to bed hungry every night. I finally got tired of it after 18 months or so.

I can't be alone.....

That is so interesting. I do see you as a person who is very content with who you are, but I've never thought of you as heavy.

You're just right, Kay.

One thing to note. When I was thin, I still wasn't fit. Now with all this extra weight, I'm not fit either. But my first goal now is not the scale. I want to become fit. Now as I do some strength training and cardio work I anticipate that at some point the scale needle will move lower (though it hasn't yet). But I am seeing some more definition in my legs and arms after working out for a month now. And I think I'm getting stronger.

With me, it's not an issue of losing and re-gaining that 20 lbs., but losing and re-gaining that 120 lbs. Yes, you read that right: 120lbs.

Five years ago, I lost that 120 lbs. once again. I looked SO good, considering that my tummy hangs down with no muscles after 3 major surgeries.

BUT......to get there, I had this to eat daily for over 4 months:

1/2 cup of yogurt

two small bites of Canadian bacon

1 small piece of meat (fish or chicken only)

a plate of veggies (preferably raw)

For me, it's not a matter of smaller portions or just a bit less, but more like next-to-nothing.

And my final 'skinny' weight was 185 lbs. If I didn't eat anything at all for two days, I could drop one more pound, but that was as far down as the scale would go.

I walked 2 miles a day in 30-40 minutes.

You know what? I was MISERABLE. My skin would bruise if someone just touched me. I was always hungry and shopping for new clothes was the only thing that would take my mind off food.

But, I *looked* good. And people treated me like a real person instead of a fat blob. So that was nice.

Honestly, I do believe it is genetic as my mother's side of the family is 'mostly' morbidly obese. My mother wasn't. My sister isn't. My dad isn't. It's just me. sigh.

I keep trying to lose that 120 lbs. again. Maybe this is the year to starve again so others can see that I am a person and worthy to be treated as such. Something to hold on to during the 'fat' year, kwim?

OP: good luck in your search for the 'why'. I think it is different for each person, and I think that people that don't have weight problems simply do NOT understand. They can't.

I am right there with you. Probably about the same weight too. I understand. :grouphug:

I'm not Beth but I think I might be able to answer this. Oprah talked about not loving herself enough and having that as a problem in her weighloss (I didn't see the episode, this is what I've gathered from this thread).

The times that I am the farthest from Jesus are the moments in my life that I tend to not like myself, eat a lot, don't exercise and gain weight. It's not that I'm directly using God in my weightloss like weigh down. I find when my spiritual life is in order (I'm in the Word, dealing with my sins, praying, etc...) then my entire life in in better order.

Kelly

Edited by kwiech

I'm not Beth but I think I might be able to answer this. Oprah talked about not loving herself enough and having that as a problem in her weighloss (I didn't see the episode, this is what I've gathered from this thread).

The times that I am the farthest from Jesus are the moments in my life that I tend to not like myself, eat a lot, don't exercise and gain weight. It's not that I'm directly using God in my weightloss like weigh down. I find when my spiritual life is in order (I'm in the Word, dealing with my sins, praying, etc...) then my entire life in in better order.

Kelly

Amen! I could not have said it better myself :)

Did anyone see Larry King Live last night? Bob Green, Dr. Oz, and Michael Beckwith (O's latest spiritual adviser) were guests.

I better keep my mouth shut. :)

I think this is exactly why I've lost 12 lbs. in the last 1.5 months. I'm back on the schedule! I don't have it figured out yet but I do know I want strength and stamina as well as being healthy. I don't care how much I lose, although it is VERY nice to tuck in a shirt and feel confident. I am making sure I eat more fruits/veggies than any other food group daily and I exercise each day for at least 20 minutes if not 30. I do not count working as exercise but the physical activity has been helpful. My arms are already stronger from lifting, I'm less tired than I was when I first started working.

Dd8 and I went on a bike ride today and my legs screamed, "WHAT are YOU DOING to us?!? Stop IT, RIGHT NOW!!!" Lol. Burn, baby, burn.