Menu

What should I cook at the beach?

Here is a news story about me:

https://www.theonion.com/mom-spends-beach-vacation-assuming-all-household-duties-1819575406

OK, that's not exactly true.  I don't cook the same things and serve them on paper plates.  Because these days I am running around so much at home, that all I cook are fast things.  If it's not 20 minutes or less, I probably won't make it.

But now that my kids are teenagers, I can send them off and spend the whole afternoon cooking!  

Anyway, we're going to the beach.  16 people, half kids half adults.  One peanut/nut allergy, two low carb, one pescatarian, one vegetarian, one very picky eater who likes standard kid things, and one 14 month old.  Oh, and no crazy SIL.  So sad she decided not to come. 

Anyway, I'd like some new recipes to try, particularly for breakfast or lunch because we'll take turns for dinner.  Give me your yummiest suggestions please!

• Haha 7

Fish tacos would go nice with birria—breaded fish topped with shredded cabbage, cilantro & finely chopped pineapple

You could do agua fresca and horchata for drinks along with margaritas

ETA: veggie tacos =
mushrooms + potatoes with a cashew crema

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Thanks 1

I'd be tempted to do a breakfast taco bar (assuming everyone is going to be eating at the same time). Scrambled eggs, bacon, salsa, cheese, flour tortilla, roasted or fried diced potatoes, etc. 

For lunch, I'd do a taco bar (am I boring? This is my go-to for meals with a bunch of folks with different dietary restrictions!) - taco meat of whatever you like, lentil tacos, lettuce, cabbage, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, sliced olives, chopped pecans, mix it up! 

Would a mac-n-cheese lunch where everyone added their own toppings work? Bacon, brisket, extra cheeses (feta maybe?), fried chicken pieces, jalapenos, green onions, etc. Or make it a baked potato bar. 

I'd probably cook Chicken Shawarma one day - and let folks make Mediterranean bowls or wraps. Pita or naan, hummus, rice, olives, feta, tzakziki sauce, diced tomatoes and cucumbers, maybe a tabouli salad?  I'd probably roast some chickpeas to toss on top as well (using an air fryer if you have one)
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma

Enjoy your time on the beach! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

I'd be tempted to do a breakfast taco bar (assuming everyone is going to be eating at the same time). Scrambled eggs, bacon, salsa, cheese, flour tortilla, roasted or fried diced potatoes, etc. 

For lunch, I'd do a taco bar (am I boring? This is my go-to for meals with a bunch of folks with different dietary restrictions!) - taco meat of whatever you like, lentil tacos, lettuce, cabbage, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, sliced olives, chopped pecans, mix it up! 

Would a mac-n-cheese lunch where everyone added their own toppings work? Bacon, brisket, extra cheeses (feta maybe?), fried chicken pieces, jalapenos, green onions, etc. Or make it a baked potato bar. 

I'd probably cook Chicken Shawarma one day - and let folks make Mediterranean bowls or wraps. Pita or naan, hummus, rice, olives, feta, tzakziki sauce, diced tomatoes and cucumbers, maybe a tabouli salad?  I'd probably roast some chickpeas to toss on top as well (using an air fryer if you have one)

The linked shawarma recipe is fantastic. Leftovers are fabulous so you can make it ahead or even freeze it. I've also frozen the raw marinated chicken with great results. 

When we have a vegetarian over, we add toasted chickpeas. There's a big salad too. Sometimes falafel. Lots of accompaniments like feta, yogurt sauce, tahini sauce, pita, romaine cucumber, tomatoes.

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 2

I’d keep breakfast simple. Eating a big breakfast then going out into the hot sun tends to make me nauseous. Plus the kids will probably want to get outside quickly.
So maybe overnight oats, baked (ahead) oatmeal, continental breakfast type stuff. I’d save a big cooked breakfast for just one or two days maybe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Oh no, I saw it was an oven shawarma but it’s behind a paywall. 😕

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, saraha said:

Oh no, I saw it was an oven shawarma but it’s behind a paywall. 😕

Here is a gift link, let me know if it does not work. This is one of my family's most favorite recipes; a frequent main at our celebration meals, super simple and would be so easy to make or reheat at a cabin with an oven (or a big skillet) 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.JxMI.3LYPek-cZcfF&smid=share-url

ETA: We serve it with a yogurt sauce (yogurt, mayo, garlic, lemon juice) and/or tahini sauce. So so good. 

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, marbel said:

Here is a gift link, let me know if it does not work. This is one of my family's most favorite recipes; a frequent main at our celebration meals, super simple and would be so easy to make or reheat at a cabin with an oven (or a big skillet) 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.JxMI.3LYPek-cZcfF&smid=share-url

ETA: We serve it with a yogurt sauce (yogurt, mayo, garlic, lemon juice) and/or tahini sauce. So so good. 

This is a staple in my house.  I keep some marinated chicken in the freezer so I can get it on the table fast.  

• Like 2

When we go to the beach, we have plenty of easy stuff to make breakfast, then we always go out for lunch. Then most nights we have sandwiches. I usually only cook dinner once and it’s usually fresh fish, shrimp, hush puppies and a salad. Key lime pie from my favorite bakery for dessert. 

kids rotate doing dishes just like at home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

When we go to the beach, we have plenty of easy stuff to make breakfast, then we always go out for lunch. Then most nights we have sandwiches. I usually only cook dinner once and it’s usually fresh fish, shrimp, hush puppies and a salad. Key lime pie from my favorite bakery for dessert. 

kids rotate doing dishes just like at home. 

Except I really love to cook, and I don't get to, so I want to go on vacation and cook.  We will eat out some for sure though.

3 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Except I really love to cook, and I don't get to, so I want to go on vacation and cook.  We will eat out some for sure though.

You don't get to cook? Umm, so I have a large kitchen and furnished guest space

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, SHP said:

You don't get to cook? Umm, so I have a large kitchen and furnished guest space

I don’t have any of that, but I do have a lot of hungry people that expect food Every Single Day! I hate cooking. lol

• Like 2

I have a kid who doesn't really eat bread (or cereal), so this is what we end up with on vacation:

Breakfasts:

• Yogurt & fruit
  • egg dishes - fritatas, omelettes, breakfast burritos (w/corn tortillas for him, flour for everyone else)
  • oatmeal
  • chia pudding made with coconut milk

Taking this kid to Disney was fun because they didn't have any of his usuals there or it was wrong (flavored yogurt, wrong brand of oatmeal, flavored syrup..) so he ate just fruit until we found potatoes for him.

Lunches:

• kabobs: build your own with marinated meat, veggies, or a combination
  • chickpea salad
  • wraps - we do a lot of chicken with various blends: mango salsa & jicama slaw(from Trader Joes) , avocado & spinach, seasoned cabbage slaw with either apples or a sesame dressing.
  • build your own pizza
  • totchos/nachos
  • stir fry/pad thai. You can use rice or spaghetti squash noodles.

12 hours ago, Bambam said:

We do breakfast tacos at the beach.

Corn Tortillas, warmed

Sliced avacado

cilantro

egg

cheese

tomato

lime

They are SO GOOD!

Then we have fruit on the side

• Like 2

My typical vacation week evening meals are below.  I usually add a bagged salad with dressing.

1. steak, potato 

2. Spaghetti or pasta dish with meat and garlic bread

3. pizza

4. low country boil (I do the pan version, I don't like soggy)

5. One pot curry with rice (but any one pot stew type dish would work)

6. lasagna (usually store bought)

7. rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese (all store bought in the deli section!

8. Appetizer night........chopped veggies, Naan bread, pita chips, lots of dips like hummus, pimento cheese, brie, whatever you like.   Sometimes we do stuffed mushrooms or make your own pizza with Naan, etc....

9.  And we typically do a leftover night or two at the end.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I don’t have any of that, but I do have a lot of hungry people that expect food Every Single Day! I hate cooking. lol

Yeah I put food on plates everyday.  It’s healthy and tastes ok.  There is just a difference between the kind of mom cooking I do when I am going 25 directions and making something delicious with care and plenty of time.  I like the latter.  

• Like 5

We are minimalists at the beach.

Breakfast is eggs, meat, starch, fruit, and coffee. Occasionally a fun coffeecake or a french toast casserole.

Lunch is usually sandwiches and fruit. Could be quesadillas or grilled cheese. Could be burgers or sausages. Add soup if it’s rainy. 

Dinner is fresh seafood all but the first and last nights. First is mexican/tacos and the last is leftovers or eat out. If we have a horde or the seafood prices are exorbitant, I may default to grilled chx or a casserole.

I love to get the fresh catch at the seafood market each day and figure out how to cook it as we go. Usually two nights are shrimp bc we go to the Gulf coast. (FL or AL). Fish cooks quickly and my people are not picky eaters. Local seasonal veggies plus a starch for sides.  

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

My typical vacation week evening meals are below.  I usually add a bagged salad with dressing.

1. steak, potato 

2. Spaghetti or pasta dish with meat and garlic bread

3. pizza

4. low country boil (I do the pan version, I don't like soggy)

5. One pot curry with rice (but any one pot stew type dish would work)

6. lasagna (usually store bought)

7. rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese (all store bought in the deli section!

8. Appetizer night........chopped veggies, Naan bread, pita chips, lots of dips like hummus, pimento cheese, brie, whatever you like.   Sometimes we do stuffed mushrooms or make your own pizza with Naan, etc....

9.  And we typically do a leftover night or two at the end.

This is awesome! I need to save this. Please don’t tell my dh mom’s cook EVERY night of vacation! I’ll

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I hate cooking too.  Hate hate hate.  Now that we're empty nesters I almost never cook, but I get completely overwhelmed when my kids and their spouse/SOs come home because of all the cooking and meal planning and shopping involved.  

• Like 1

I'm another one who doesn't feel great in the sun if I've had a heavy meal beforehand. For breakfast at the beach, we do simple things like bagels or English muffin sandwiches. Just make scrambled eggs & meats, and have sliced cheese available. Fruit on the side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

I hate cooking too.  Hate hate hate.  Now that we're empty nesters I almost never cook, but I get completely overwhelmed when my kids and their spouse/SOs come home because of all the cooking and meal planning and shopping involved.  

Oh I bet!! I hate when dh’s family comes from out of town. It stresses me out to cook for them. They seem to be food snobs a bit and I’m just a plain old country girl. 

• Like 1

Now, I think I should make a career of this.  I could go to people's houses, make their meals, involve their kids if they want.  

How much do you think people would pay?  This sounds much more enjoyable than my current job.  

• Like 4

Just now, Drama Llama said:

Now, I think I should make a career of this.  I could go to people's houses, make their meals, involve their kids if they want.  

How much do you think people would pay?  This sounds much more enjoyable than my current job.  

I think you absolutely could do this. I have no idea about how much people would pay it because I don’t have the money for something like that. However, I have known people who do would probably love it. I think you should investigate the option.

I particularly love how you see different food issues as a challenge. I tend to be defeated by all the food issues, allergies, and intolerances, in my circle. I think people would also be willing to pay to have someone help them navigate making menus for parties or family weeks that take all of their food needs into account.

• Like 3

I think it's cool you are excited about cooking while on vacation. Do you know if the kitchen will have all the tools you enjoy while cooking? Can you source all the ingredients you'll need? Will cross-contamination be an issue due to allergies? Do you plan on packing all the special things you'll need (i.e., tools, food, spices, etc.)? 

I've been excited to try to make butter chicken. It's supposed to be challenging to get it just right, not to mention some of the ingredients are expensive (i.e., saffron). Are there any special dishes you are excited to try out?

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I think it's cool you are excited about cooking while on vacation. Do you know if the kitchen will have all the tools you enjoy while cooking? Can you source all the ingredients you'll need? Will cross-contamination be an issue due to allergies? Do you plan on packing all the special things you'll need (i.e., tools, food, spices, etc.)? 

I've been excited to try to make butter chicken. It's supposed to be challenging to get it just right, not to mention some of the ingredients are expensive (i.e., saffron). Are there any special dishes you are excited to try out?

I'll be cooking mostly at the house my oldest SIL and BIL are renting.  They've rented the same house twice before, so we know what is there and what we need to bring.  We're driving so we'll bring most of the ingredients, and a few tools that they don't have.   The house is professionally cleaned between families, and I'll probably wipe the kitchen down again, and we won't bring anything with the allergens. The kid with the allergies is now 12 so there is less worry about them doing something dumb like finding a peanut in the couch cushions and eating it.  

I am just not inspired this year.  I know I want to take advantage of the grill a much as possible.  NYT has a recipe for Memphis dry rubbed mushrooms, and sweet potato pikliz which is calling my name.  I had to look up pikliz.

I don't know how to gift links, or I would!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I can never do it from the app, but from the website there is an icon next to "save" which says "give."  Anyway, I was there looking at some other recipes, so here are the two you mentioned:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021140-memphis-dry-rub-mushrooms?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.8oql.HzRorK0b9Fr0&smid=share-url

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017277-pikliz?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.mdL5.UX9_LtgARo8S&smid=share-url

I'd never heard of pikliz either! But that looks great. 

ETA: The correct pikliz:  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021138-greg-colliers-sweet-potato-pikliz?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.YcFB.JYvv0dKMSrCf&smid=share-url

You could be a personal chef, easy!  I mean I don't know how well it pays, but it seems like a natural career for you.

ETA:

image.png.a3b5f60c4c7d40e45fb1e0eb1bd8455c.png

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I'll be cooking mostly at the house my oldest SIL and BIL are renting.  They've rented the same house twice before, so we know what is there and what we need to bring.  We're driving so we'll bring most of the ingredients, and a few tools that they don't have.   The house is professionally cleaned between families, and I'll probably wipe the kitchen down again, and we won't bring anything with the allergens. The kid with the allergies is now 12 so there is less worry about them doing something dumb like finding a peanut in the couch cushions and eating it.  

I am just not inspired this year.  I know I want to take advantage of the grill a much as possible.  NYT has a recipe for Memphis dry rubbed mushrooms, and sweet potato pikliz which is calling my name.  I had to look up pikliz.

For gifting articles, usually at the top of the article, there is a gift box icon that you can click and it gives you the option of copying the link. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marbel said:

I can never do it from the app, but from the website there is an icon next to "save" which says "gift."  Anyway, I was there looking at some other recipes, so here are the two you mentioned:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021140-memphis-dry-rub-mushrooms?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.8oql.HzRorK0b9Fr0&smid=share-url

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017277-pikliz?unlocked_article_code=1.-E0.mdL5.UX9_LtgARo8S&smid=share-url

I'd never heard of pikliz either! But that looks great. 

You could be a personal chef, easy!  I mean I don't know how well it pays, but it seems like a natural career for you.

Don't those look great?  And someone says the rub is good on salmon too, so I could do salmon with or without the rub ('cause picky eaters) and some fancy mushrooms, and the pickliz, and something green.  

I like to explore a new cuisine, and I have never cooked Haitian before, or even eaten it.  Maybe I could go all in on Haitian and serve it with this:

https://www.savorythoughts.com/haitian-legume-eggplant-stew/

and this

https://www.savorythoughts.com/mais-moulin-creamy-polenta-haitian-cornmeal/

Although I am unclear on why "Memphis" rub goes with Haitian food, but maybe I shouldn't care if the NYT says it does.  

I'd just need to figure out protein for the vegetarian.  I could just throw a veggie burger on or something for her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freesia said:

I particularly love how you see different food issues as a challenge. I tend to be defeated by all the food issues, allergies, and intolerances, in my circle. I think people would also be willing to pay to have someone help them navigate making menus for parties or family weeks that take all of their food needs into account.

Yes to all of this!  I tell DH that the food issues ruin my kids' visits for me because I get so stressed about the food!  It's ridiculous.  I want to relax and enjoy my family, but when everyone is here it's impossible for me to figure out meals that everyone is happy with, will eat, and I can actually make without spending all day in the kitchen.  I'm not a good cook, don't like cooking anyway, and have a very limited list of foods I know how to make.  I'd definitely pay a lot for someone to take care of all of this and remove this stress.  

• Like 1