Menu

~~~~~ Where are you traveling in 2024? ~~~~~~~

We started 2024 on a trip to Brazil - Rio (for New Year's), Iguazu falls, and Sao Paolo.  It was a pretty nice trip.

My kid requested a trip to Spain for her graduation celebration.  We plan to start with a road trip followed by a cruise.  We're bringing a couple of their friends along on this one.

I don't know whether we're doing anything over Christmas break or not.

This summer will be the last break where both of my kids are minors.  I assume we won't travel together as much after that.  But we'll see.

• Like 5

We celebrated NYE at Brandenburg Gate in Berlin and then went to Poland and Ireland (after having been in the Netherlands and Czechia). I'm hoping to get a long weekend soon in NYC, and we have a couple obligatory trips to visit family in California and Ohio this summer. We are starting to plan a fall trip to Scandinavia, and hopefully a short getaway to Montreal once it warms up a bit and has more lively street life. I'm going a bit stir crazy atm. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 6

I am heading to Italy in the morning.

Then a friend is invited me to drive with her to the east coast 4 times this spring to watch her Naval Academy senior on the crew team.  I those to do at least 2 of those trips as I have never been to the east coast.

Family trip to Mackinac Island in June.

Visiting friends in Atlanta in July (I did not pick the time of year).

Backpacking in August.

I hope to get in several smaller backpacking trips as well.   And Lots of hiking.

I live a very frugal life, but enjoy traveling and am blessed that none of these trips require me to pay for lodging or transportation once I get there.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Five day backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon with DH, DD, and her partner. 

South Kaibab to Tonto, camped in Cremation, Grapevine, Cottonwood canyons and  on Horseshoe Mesa. Out via Grandview.

20240329_061732.jpg

20240326_094528.jpg

20240327_135647.jpg

Stunning!!!  How amazing to hike and camp there!!!  Thank you for posting pictures.  

It must have been breathtaking every moment you were there.  I love the Grand Canyon.  I could never get tired of that view.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am heading to Italy in the morning.

Then a friend is invited me to drive with her to the east coast 4 times this spring to watch her Naval Academy senior on the crew team.  I those to do at least 2 of those trips as I have never been to the east coast.

Family trip to Mackinac Island in June.

Visiting friends in Atlanta in July (I did not pick the time of year).

Backpacking in August.

I hope to get in several smaller backpacking trips as well.   And Lots of hiking.

I live a very frugal life, but enjoy traveling and am blessed that none of these trips require me to pay for lodging or transportation once I get there.

Bon voyage!!  I can't wait to see your pictures.  I love Italy.

And how amazing to be able to get so much affordable travel in.  You are so blessed to be have that option. 

• Like 3

I’ve done a few research trips to neighboring states this year, which may or may not count as travel to some people, although it’s the kind of travel I like best. We have an overseas move this year so that will suck up all my traveling energy.  If we’re lucky, we’ll get to spend a couple of days in Amsterdam on our way to Africa, but there might not be time before school starts.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Amira said:

I’ve done a few research trips to neighboring states this year, which may or may not count as travel to some people, although it’s the kind of travel I like best. We have an overseas move this year so that will suck up all my traveling energy.  If we’re lucky, we’ll get to spend a couple of days in Amsterdam on our way to Africa, but there might not be time before school starts.

Are you moving to Africa?  How exciting and amazing to move overseas!!  

• Like 1

DH and I were going to do some traveling around New Years to celebrate a big anniversary, but DH was very ill, so we were in out of hospitals and doctors visits instead.  We did get to go on a cruise to Aurba and Curacao a couple of weeks ago, which was a nice, relaxing getaway. 

I will be working for about six weeks in Austria this summer (in the same town where DD is living).  DH and I are looking at various options for extending that trip for some vacation travel but haven't decided what we will do. 

• Like 6

North Carolina once a month

Israel (January, March, May, October)

Japan (July)

Australia (May or June)

Probably Mexico, Panama, or Bermuda and separately maybe Nevada or Texas

And anywhere fun my DH gets to travel to for work. 

Edited by YaelAldrich
Added some
  • Like 6

Brilliant three days in Malta in February.

London and nearby for a few days in April - British Museum, National Gallery, friends and family.

Probably North Wales in July - hiking and such, family.

Many trips to Scottish coast and Highlands. 

Photos from Malta, one including both a UK-style red telephone box and abundant bougainvillea. 

20240222_103659.jpg

20240224_112806.jpg

20240224_095721.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, TechWife said:

I might accompany my husband on a whirlwind business trip to Italy, Hungary and Bulgaria. I have to decide if I want to navigate alone for sightseeing. 

You do!

• Like 3

I will be living vicariously through so many of y'all's travels! 

We have very little planned this year: Florida for spring break, New York for ds's summer camp, and maybe a trip to New Hampshire for a weekend.  Nothing too exciting, and mostly a lot of driving.

• Like 3

We were in North Carolina Friday with a cousin, South Carolina yesterday for a wedding, made it to Alabama today to spend the week with the grandkids, and will leave Friday for our eclipse destination.

May, we will be assisting with American Rocketry Challenge in Virginia. Then apart from sailing and kayaking on the Great Lakes, we don't have anything else planned until my sister and brother in law from France come home in September. Then I might take a road trip with them.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

Not much planned this year as I have very little PTO (this job sucks in that regard.)  Also, having a senior dog and an adult child with an unstable mental illness makes travel difficult.  

Storrs CT in September for DS30's PhD defense and maybe a side trip to Plymouth MA to visit dh's elderly but spunky aunt who has always been so sweet to us. He may stay out East to visit a cousin in Vermont.  

Several trips to St. Louis to visit DD, for a bridal shower and wedding for Dh's niece.

Springfield IL for my nephew's wedding.  

I hope to swing a trip to Nashville to visit my sister who was widowed last fall and is not doing well.  

• Like 1

I went to Traverse City, Michigan over Spring Break.

New Jersey in a couple of weeks - with friends

San Francisco & Mendocino Woodlands mid-June - with my 6 year old granddaughter for a conference/adult summer camp

Traverse City, Michigan - last week of June and over July 4th - road trip with my dog

Traverse City, Michigan - end of July and first part of August - flying with my granddaughter

Aruba mid September - with friends

I think that is it for now. I should note that I have close friends who are basically family in Traverse City so don't have to pay for lodging or much food there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

San Francisco & Mendocino Woodlands mid-June - with my 6 year old granddaughter for a conference/adult summer camp

Traverse City, Michigan - last week of June and over July 4th - road trip with my dog

Traverse City, Michigan - end of July and first part of August - flying with my granddaughter

I think that is it for now. I should note that I have close friends who are basically family in Traverse City so don't have to pay for lodging or much food there.

I love Traverse City área.  Ds is from the tribe just north of there so we visit often.

18 hours ago, Rebel said:

This Traverse is such a lovely area! Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

We started the year by going on a 7 day group cruise with neighborhood friends. The Eastern Caribbean cruise went to the Dominican Republic, St. Thomas USVI, and Tortola, BVI. Photos below are from the British Virgin Islands at the Virgin Baths and Gorda, which was our favorite part of the cruise. 

Next Friday (May3rd) we're leaving for the longest, most expensive vacation either of us has ever taken. We're flying to NYC and taking the Queen Mary 2 to Southampton. From there we head to London for a few days of being tourists. Then we fly to Edinburgh where we'll join a group for a 15 day tour around England. The tour is called Journey Through Scotland and England but Edinburgh is actually the only place in Scotland on the tour. The tour ends back in London where we'll stay another few days and do various touristy things (including a day trip here and there). Next, a train to Cardiff where we'll spend several days in which we haven't booked anything. If anyone familiar with the area has ideas I'm open, otherwise we just plan to explore. We might do a Doctor Who tour if one is reasonably priced. Finally, we head back to Southampton for 2 days then board the Queen Mary 2 for the westbound trip home. We would have liked to spend a few extra days "doing" NYC but our budget won't allow it so we'll save it for another time. Instead we'll head from the ship to the airport and will finally arrive home on June 15th. Am I excited? Absolutely. Am I also a bit nervous? Of course.

Ds26 and his girlfriend (24) will be here while we're gone so we're not worried about anything at home. Fingers crossed that no early season hurricanes come while we're gone but if they do ds is a native Floridian and knows what to do to protect the house.

bvi.jpg

bvi rocks and trees.jpg

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

We live in Alaska and  just flew to KS. We recently returned from a 1500 mile road trip from KS to Idaho. Youngest DS and I drove his SUV/ belongings as he’s transferring colleges to Univ of Idaho. 

Early June- 3 day weekend trip to Denali for camping/ hiking 

Late June- 4 day trip to Palmer AK and Hatchers Pass

15 days in July- hiking the Tour Du Mont Blanc (DH and I) 

August- returning to ID to help DS get settled into school 

Sept- 15 days to Japan ( DH and I) 

A couple road-trip pics included. 

8E386E74-A9B1-41E4-9CEF-4F475BDF9C21.jpeg

954D4D22-9876-455A-A886-C96DF162A366.jpeg

3B536295-35FA-4F04-BB7F-DC26356DDAEE.jpeg

F9607937-D09F-416E-89E3-95C6BA2D8E72.jpeg

Edited by Corbster98
  • Like 7

I took just my oldest two boys to Spain and had the best time. We did a via ferreta which is basically a natural ropes course. That was fun and scary. We also went water canyoning and jet skiing. My next travel is taking my oldest back to the US for college. 

• Like 2

My husband shut me off for any big trips this year. We are going to Martha’s Vineyard in late July and will be camping in Acadia in early Sept. We will be hiking in the NH Whites for a long weekend. For my bday he gave me a weekend anywhere. I’m having a really hard time deciding. I want something that’s a direct flight from Hartford (or Providence) that’s not too far from wherever we fly to since it’s only a weekend (probs Thurs to Sun). Any ideas? Charleston is doable and I love it, but I’d rather go somewhere new. I checked out Newfoundland/Nova Scotia/PEI, Sonoma/Napa, San Antonio, Mackinac Island, and Lake Tahoe but none of them worked. If you have any suggestions let me know. We love hiking and nature, culture, quaint towns and moseying around. Ideally we’d travel in May. Second choice would be November. And I’d want warm in that case. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

I took just my oldest two boys to Spain and had the best time. We did a via ferreta which is basically a natural ropes course. That was fun and scary. We also went water canyoning and jet skiing. My next travel is taking my oldest back to the US for college. 

Where did you go? I’m looking at Spain as a possibility for next year. Would love to hear more!

6 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

We are going to the Sarasota, FL area for vacation and to visit family. Baby’s first vacation and the first we have taken since 2021. The kids are so excited. We are also taking a camping trip in summer.

I love Sarasota!!!  Enjoy.