Menu

🤣🤣

Not Google, but I turn 50 this year and got some junk mail from AARP. Several days later, my specialty pharmacy sent me some over the counter medicine for side effects from a company named Gericare. Apparently, the universe has a message for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

From taking care of my husband's elderly aunt who has issues with incontinence, my fb feed and google and email are all filled with care homes, incontinence products and all sorts of devices for the elderly.  My trash also sports extra large Depends boxes because its easier for me to deal with than her.  My dh was cracking up when "our" Depends box trash blew into our neighbors yard during a storm last week.  Of course, he left it there for me to go retrieve 😁

• Haha 8

Six years back, facebook was convinced I had some rare form of breast cancer that I’d never heard of, and kept serving up ads for the three forms of chemotherapy apparently used for it. Then I went through a series of ads about menopause. I was pregnant. I finally posted something about how crazy the ads were, and how I needed help getting past my baby’s sleep regression and getting my fetus to stop partying at 2 am, and hot flashes and chemotherapy ads were wasted on me. The ads stopped. I still have no idea what was up. My only theory is that I left my phone in the living room when Hallmark Christmas movies commercials were playing and one of their cancer treatment center commercials came on, and they crossed referenced that with something I googled about pregnancy breast tenderness (it was more in my armpits than previous pregnancies). 

• Like 2

Every now and then Youtube thinks I should need prenatal vitamins, so I tell it I have no one to have babies with and it gives me ads for meeting singles. Single Russian ladies, single Asian ladies, single Christian ladies, single specific Asian nationality ladies, none of whom are suitable for the job seeing how I'm not a bloke. I am offered prenatal vitamins for women and men just in case though.

1 hour ago, Eos said:

I go "incognito" when I look up my objectionables...

I wish I had thought of this earlier in this process though as I think about it, since I use my Amazon and Sam's accounts to order stuff for her, it probably wouldn't have worked.

I look up homeschool stuff (curriculum, how to schedule, organizing) and I get ads for linen dresses and how to be a "vintage" homemaker. And I wonder is wearing a linen dress going to turn DS7 into a child who will happily write out his history narrations?? 

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Every now and then Youtube thinks I should need prenatal vitamins, so I tell it I have no one to have babies with and it gives me ads for meeting singles. Single Russian ladies, single Asian ladies, single Christian ladies, single specific Asian nationality ladies, none of whom are suitable for the job seeing how I'm not a bloke. I am offered prenatal vitamins for women and men just in case though.

🤣🤣

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I look up homeschool stuff (curriculum, how to schedule, organizing) and I get ads for linen dresses and how to be a "vintage" homemaker. And I wonder is wearing a linen dress going to turn DS7 into a child who will happily write out his history narrations?? 

Now that is worth a try.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

Now that is worth a try.

🤣

The question is does it have to look good or can it be wrinkly... because based on my domestic skills that dress is going to be WRINKLY.

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

🤣 

My daughter informed me how Temu is stealing all my information and two days later I received a package with a container of face cream that I hadn't ordered.  Not sure if I should be offended or not.  :dry:

At one point FB sent me all sorts of divorce lawyer ads.  Not sure what I did to inspire that.  Hubby was not pleased.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not even going to type some of the stuff my computer decides I want to see, because if I type it, then I'll see more of it.  Let's just say it's stuff that my anatomy wouldn't even be able to figure out.

Facebook decides all sorts of things about me. One of my favorites was when it decided I was afraid to teach my children math. I have a master's in mathematics education. 😄

And it decided at one point that what I wanted my feed to be full of was AI-generated pictures of various types of bread shaped like cats. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

But y'all, this is why I'm so ignorant.  I'm afraid to google anything that might possibly have an off-color meaning, alternative meaning, connotation, origin, or a book or song written about it in an iffy light.  😛

I don't know why but for a while Facebook thought I wanted to get a programming certificate so I can do data entry work. This is all while knowing I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and was working in the industry...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Single Russian ladies, single Asian ladies, single Christian ladies, single specific Asian nationality ladies, none of whom are suitable for the job seeing how I'm not a bloke. I am offered prenatal vitamins for women and men just in case though.

Laughing out loud across the Pacific.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

See the fundie baby voice thread, we've moved on to discussing the linen-festooned tradwives and their sad beige children.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Katy said:

Six years back, facebook was convinced I had some rare form of breast cancer that I’d never heard of, and kept serving up ads for the three forms of chemotherapy apparently used for it. Then I went through a series of ads about menopause. I was pregnant. I finally posted something about how crazy the ads were, and how I needed help getting past my baby’s sleep regression and getting my fetus to stop partying at 2 am, and hot flashes and chemotherapy ads were wasted on me. The ads stopped. I still have no idea what was up. My only theory is that I left my phone in the living room when Hallmark Christmas movies commercials were playing and one of their cancer treatment center commercials came on, and they crossed referenced that with something I googled about pregnancy breast tenderness (it was more in my armpits than previous pregnancies). 

I got cancer ones after I looked up some cancer r other that someone had/  Google has learned since then that I look up lots and lots of medical stuff so sends me a lot of stuff for physicians.  This is actually sometimes helpful for me.  I have joined various -free physicianmail groups and it is helpful to  keeping me more up to date.

One of the funniest ai idiotic things that happened to me was with my Amazon account. We gave our son I n law am advanced tool set for one Christmas that he needed at his work at that time. We had previously, about four years earlier, sent a Christmas gift to his parents after they sent one to us.  This is the only way I think this mess could have happened.   I started getting buying suggestions for very, very expensive manufacturing gear- or at least that is what I thought it was.  Dh's father and uncle are partners in a welding type company and I guess this may have been the kind of stuff they use in manufacturing whatever they need for their work??????  But how does buying a less than $500 tool kit for s-i-l mean that I am now in charge of buying super expensive company materials for a company that my only contact with was visiting when my dd1and dsil1 were living and working down there.

• Like 1

Not Google, but once I ordered a specialty piece from Etsy to use as a costume accessory for a high school theater production. Apparently this same shop makes costumes for dancers a la Rio Carnival. For months I got bona fide Etsy emails asking me if I want to order feathery stuff for otherwise near nekkid ladies. 😳 I could not open my email in a coffee shop for months!

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I did some googling for some of the strange things my heart is doing

Now I am receiving a LOT of junk emails for aged care homes 🤣🤣

What funny suggestions does google send you after looking something up?

A really cool thing popped up today- not sure where/ A Western Australia ad telling me I could visit, study, work, or invest there.  I decide to clock in on it because I was curious as to what to invest in over there.  That led to investment firms, so I didn't go further.  We have enough investment firms already- a 401K firm, a mutual fund firm, and a separate firm for stock trading.  (We don't do day trading- just invest ins some stocks as we feel like it)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Starr said:

Facebook offered me a Dull Men group today. Seriously I have not been looking for anyone much less someone dull. 🤣

7 hours ago, saraha said:

Me too!

Same! I think it's hilarious that we all got a recommendation for the same obscure group at around the same time — do they think we're dull because we're on a homeschool board? Did we all google something last week that triggered it?

(ETA: The group, both men and women, post about things that are generally more esoteric/nerdy than dull. It's mostly tongue in cheek, and some of the folks (especially the Brits) are very funny. It's not actually a group for dull men looking for dates, lol)

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I gave up wine for Lent, and I am now getting ads for weed. Ad after ad after ad for "Mood", "buzz drops" etc... I had no idea! I do not know what I did to trigger it. 

I can say...they are wearing me down! 🤣

• Haha 8

On 3/14/2024 at 10:10 AM, Starr said:

Facebook offered me a Dull Men group today. Seriously I have not been looking for anyone much less someone dull. 🤣

That seems to be a pretty entertaining in group in the line to Very British Humor

It seems to be being pushed to a lot of people though through the algorithm which makes me wonder 

Facebook keeps feeding me ads for maternity wear.  I'm closing in on 50 and my kids are teens.  It's a lot cuter than what was available when I needed maternity wear, but not enticing enough for me to have another kid just to be able to wear it.  I also get ads for baby toys.  Maybe I watch reels with babies in them?  Other than helping in the nursery at church sometimes, I don't have any babies in my orbit right now so it's weird.  

The ads for lands end or ll bean clothes seem much more appropriately targeted.  

Thought of this thread this morning as I mindlessly scrolled for a bit.  

Dull Men's Group shows up constantly in my feed. Did you know it became too popular and there is now a spin-off group somewhere where they consider themselves the "real" Dull Men's Group?  There is also a newer Dull Women's Group. Started after too many men complained of non-dull women ruining their vibe. Oh the drama! I don't follow them, but they are in my feed every day, multiple times, and for some reason I find them entertaining.

I also get "White People Making White People's Foods" where they are usually making fun of the cuisine of the state of Iowa.

I must linger just a little too long on some weird things in my feed because it's pretty much 90% of stuff I don't follow, and I hardly ever see actual friends posting.