Menu

Prayer request

Katy

Idk if it’s food poisoning or norovirus, but I feel sicker than I have in over 15 years. I’ve only felt worse three times in my memory, and for two of them I was hospitalized. DH & DD5 have been complaining overnight too, but I don’t think they’ve had the GI symptoms I have. It’s the kids spring break and I really don’t want to have this sweep through the family. 

• Sad 26

Thanks everyone, I was able to get a little sleep and woke up feeling not so violently ill, even if I am still sick. DH & DD5 definitely have it though. Sigh. The three of us got takeout from one restaurant yesterday, the rest of the family got McDonalds. The only thing we can think is that an employee at the restaurant had it & didn’t properly wash hands. 

• Sad 13

I’m sorry, that is just the most miserable. Norovirus levels are really high right now. I hope it’s all done with very quickly and you can get back to enjoying spring break week with your family.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Thanks everyone, I was able to get a little sleep and woke up feeling not so violently ill, even if I am still sick. DH & DD5 definitely have it though. Sigh. The three of us got takeout from one restaurant yesterday, the rest of the family got McDonalds. The only thing we can think is that an employee at the restaurant had it & didn’t properly wash hands. 

Hard to tell: food poisoning or contagious illness. I think if you got it from takeout, it's more likely that it's food poisoning.

• Like 1

We all ordered different meals and didn’t eat the same things at all. But I definitely hope it’s food poisoning. 

45 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Hard to tell: food poisoning or contagious illness. I think if you got it from takeout, it's more likely that it's food poisoning.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s definitely Norovirus. Everyone has it now. 

OH man that is the worst.  I am so so sorry.  I still have such bad memories of when this happened to me and all the kids while dh was on business trip to China.   I hope it goes through you guys quickly.  That is just the worst. 

• Thanks 1

What we learned about norovirus is it's super contagious and will spare no one. And you're still contagious after you're feeling better, so stay away from others. But pretty short-lived (except for the hitting everyone serially part).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

What we learned about norovirus is it's super contagious and will spare no one. And you're still contagious after you're feeling better, so stay away from others. But pretty short-lived (except for the hitting everyone serially part).

I read that one copy of norovirus can infect someone. Even if that's not quite right, it definitely doesn't take much. Hope you and your family feel better soon, Katy. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Thanks 1

So sorry it’s all of you now!

I think we had norovirus when older DS was little. It can be isolated to one person if you’re nutty with hygiene, paper plates, etc., but I think this is impossible with younger kids. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kbutton said:

So sorry it’s all of you now!

I think we had norovirus when older DS was little. It can be isolated to one person if you’re nutty with hygiene, paper plates, etc., but I think this is impossible with younger kids. 

Yeah, I couldn't make anyone leave me alone in the bathroom, even the ones who aren't so little any more. I think it was inevitable, especially with both parents sick at once.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How are you guys doing?  I hope the worst has passed. 

Most of the kids are completely better today. The littles are annoyed we’re not out doing something fun.  DH thought he was better and went into work yesterday, but then I texted that I couldn’t keep up with cleaning up after kids between my own sickness less than 2 hours after he left so he came home. He took over & let me have an actual sick day. I slept most of the day yesterday. But then around 4 am I was having constant diarrhea and after a couple hours realized I couldn’t possibly drink as fast as I was losing fluid. So I took immodium. I’ve felt ok ever since, mostly a mild headache. DH came upstairs around the same time and it seemed like he immediately got sick all over again. Today he’s been sleeping all day in between rounds of illness. 

I thank everyone for their prayers. This is much easier to handle with only one adult incapacitated at a time. I’m thinking that the last time we had a round of this a few months ago, the kids had a similar strain, and aren’t so sick as a result. I’d bought a bunch of kefir on sale for under $2 that week, and DH & I were both on a post-antibiotic probiotic kick, so we were both drinking it. We didn’t get sick at all then, but the kids did.

I'm over completely plant based eating and am going to add back kefir as a regular food for me. It might be slightly high in histamine & inflammatory, but not nearly as much as constant rounds of stomach bugs every few months all school year. 

I really did not appreciate enough how rarely we got sick when we were homeschooling. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2