Menu

Dollhouse progression thread (was Merry Christmas to me!)

Dmmetler

Look what I found on the curb near my house! This is going to be a fun Upcycling project

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0baKfMlAqvK047co3yiNa8DnQ

I added the icloud photos link to my directory of pictures, since I've had to delete old ones twice now, and will probably run out of upload space here before I finish this project

1/19-I removed some of the progression pics from here due to space-they're all in the iCloud album. 

IMG_1375.thumb.jpeg.3dd0d988cd3ec47c12703114c6fbd5d3.jpeg

Edited by Dmmetler
Figured the title wouldn't make much sense.
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 3

I wanted to do this for my niece, but unfortunately she is not into toys.  🙇🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️ I had hoped that she would be into calico critters and Barbie, and nope, neither.   Sigh.   I don’t have grandchildren in my near or probably far future and don’t know where I’d donate it to.    Please update as you go along.   I’m excited to see the progress!

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

What are you going to do with it???

I'm still trying to figure that out, but I'm thinking maybe that I'll make my community center (or at least part of it)-my music studio, maybe the pottery room, the art room, a dance studio, etc. It should be about the right scale for my Calico critters-the ceilings would be hogh, but that's correct for the center, which is an old building, 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm still trying to figure that out, but I'm thinking maybe that I'll make my community center (or at least part of it)-my music studio, maybe the pottery room, the art room, a dance studio, etc. It should be about the right scale for my Calico critters-the ceilings would be hogh, but that's correct for the center, which is an old building, 

I love your ideas!

I've started priming it, so I'll have to figure out paint/wallpaper next. I plan to do wood floors with a coffee stain and am considering sandpaper for shingles (can I cut sandpaper on a silhouette?). 

I got two sets of Honey Bee Acres figures (the Walmart version of Calico Critters-they make good "big kids" since they're in between the adult and child Calico Critters size) and a Dremel. 

• Like 2

• Dmmetler changed the title to Dollhouse progression thread (was Merry Christmas to me!)
7 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm thinking I want to make it into the center I teach at (the original, 1918 part of the building), at least as far as the treatment goes (far different floor plan).IMG_1396.thumb.jpeg.58427b99020a5d58dc575a16514d296b.jpegIMG_1397.thumb.png.a55c4919eb147c6c5bf60656f2b950dc.png

Watching lots of tutorials on how to make brick and stucco facades...

I think you might be able to create the stucco by adding corn starch or flour to paint & dabbing instead of stroking it on.

Are there any particular videos you would recommend? I’m thinking about making a book nook scene for my dh for his birthday. I’ve never done anything like this so I’ve a lot of research to do. 

• Like 2

I like Little Froggy stuff for being easy to follow, but she mostly works in Playscale (1/6-Barbie), so I need to scale down (Calico Critters are somewhere between 1/12 and 1/24-by height, they're closer to 1/24, but they're wider and usually 1/12 items look better with them except for height. Queen City Minis is nice for smaller scales, but tends to use more specific tools and things like polymer clay. 

The American Girl miniatures books are good as are the Klutz ones-and since they're designed for kids, tend to be really easy to follow. They tend to be really cheap used. 

• Thanks 1

My mom did her own dollhouse just for her during the time she had two young daughters. We took an interest in it, but it was very much hers with furniture she put together from kits, wall paper, tile floors. She repainted it to match her new house when she moved (I was in college) and my brother added some electric light capabilities.

• Like 4

Congratulations! You have entered into the world of miniatures. There is no turning back.

I spent months on Facebook market place looking for one to make into a Halloween house, I finally found the perfect one at a thrift store for a few bucks that was mostly complete. Then while looking for people/skeletons to match the size I found a second one on Amazon for under $20. Now I have 2. I cannot wait until Halloween! I am debating 3D printing a hearse car body and putting it over a slotcar chassis and having it driving around, but the closest scale isn't cheap so I will likely just buy a cheap Christmas train set on clearance that looks like it will fit in and paint it for a Halloween train.

I watch YouTubers who model railroad and who build stuff for Dungeons and Dragons and other miniature war games for painting tips and to learn how to make different things I want to add to my houses that I guess is more like a village now. Unless you are rich, don't buy the model paint, buy the small cans of house paint used for testing, way cheaper. 

• Like 3

On 12/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dmmetler said:

I'm thinking I want to make it into the center I teach at (the original, 1918 part of the building), at least as far as the treatment goes (far different floor plan).IMG_1396.thumb.jpeg.58427b99020a5d58dc575a16514d296b.jpegIMG_1397.thumb.png.a55c4919eb147c6c5bf60656f2b950dc.png

Watching lots of tutorials on how to make brick and stucco facades...

For stucco I painted the basecoat and while it was still wet I sprinkled cheap sand over it. I let it dry and painted over it to get the tones I wanted. 

For brick. I am too lazy to cut individual bricks like I see so many doing. I bought polymer clay and 3D printed a brick texture rolling pin. Air-dry clay should work as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

My mom did her own dollhouse just for her during the time she had two young daughters. We took an interest in it, but it was very much hers with furniture she put together from kits, wall paper, tile floors. She repainted it to match her new house when she moved (I was in college) and my brother added some electric light capabilities.

The minatures from household items group I'm in is almost all adults doing it for fun, mixed between the folks who do one really elaborate one that they work on for years, usually with lighting, sound, and often it's own dedicated table, and the ones who refurbish old ones and then donate them to children's charities or for auctions. Plus a few folks who make miniatures for TTRPG, the guy who makes elaborate scenes for the field mice in his garden (and gets absolutely adorable pictures), the ones who have fairy gardens, etc. 

I like the idea of making houses to pass onto kids who want them. For this first one, I'm hoping I can set it up at the center (there's one hallway near the office where parents and siblings wait for a lot of the classes), where I could add different furniture, etc so kids can play with it. We also have a community closet where people can come and get food, clothes, and household items, and I'm thinking that it might be nice to make one for them

• Like 6

The roof is on (and the whole thing is primed). The front is still drying-i had to cut more tiles, so it didn't get finished until this morning. 

The sticks in the back are planned to be the floor-i made a strong coffee stain from used grounds, and put the first coat on them this morning. I'm guessing it will take another couple to get the color I want, but we'll see once they completely dry. Of course, today that is likely to be via freeze-drying....

IMG_1408.thumb.jpeg.612a17329d2f2c253796033f47f5af1f.jpegIMG_1409.thumb.jpeg.d66c8380e7118093d806edc9d63efd71.jpeg

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, SHP said:

Congratulations! You have entered into the world of miniatures. There is no turning back.

I spent months on Facebook market place looking for one to make into a Halloween house, I finally found the perfect one at a thrift store for a few bucks that was mostly complete. Then while looking for people/skeletons to match the size I found a second one on Amazon for under $20. Now I have 2. I cannot wait until Halloween! I am debating 3D printing a hearse car body and putting it over a slotcar chassis and having it driving around, but the closest scale isn't cheap so I will likely just buy a cheap Christmas train set on clearance that looks like it will fit in and paint it for a Halloween train.

I watch YouTubers who model railroad and who build stuff for Dungeons and Dragons and other miniature war games for painting tips and to learn how to make different things I want to add to my houses that I guess is more like a village now. Unless you are rich, don't buy the model paint, buy the small cans of house paint used for testing, way cheaper. 

Depending on what scale you work in, Spirit Halloween had bags of 3" skeletons around Halloween.  

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

That's a really nice dollhouse! All wood?

MDF, so closer to particle board or plywood than hardwood, but it's what's usually sold as a "wood dollhouse". I think it's either KidKraft or a close imitation.  

I've been looking for a dollhouse to refurbish, and this is honestly about perfect. I would have bought it had it appeared at a thrift store or on FB Marketplace in the $20-$30 range.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

The roof is on (and the whole thing is primed). The front is still drying-i had to cut more tiles, so it didn't get finished until this morning. 

The sticks in the back are planned to be the floor-i made a strong coffee stain from used grounds, and put the first coat on them this morning. I'm guessing it will take another couple to get the color I want, but we'll see once they completely dry. Of course, today that is likely to be via freeze-drying....

IMG_1408.thumb.jpeg.612a17329d2f2c253796033f47f5af1f.jpegIMG_1409.thumb.jpeg.d66c8380e7118093d806edc9d63efd71.jpeg

This is great!

I'm really proud of this. I picked up a bunch of foam board (probably a kit to make something that lacked instructions and maybe some pieces) at one of those pallet stores on the "everything $.50" days. I decided to try to make bricks, so I cut them to fit my exterior walls, drew the pattern with a ruler, used my Dremel to carve the bricks, and removed the outer paper. 

I haven't painted them yet (and they probably go on last), but I'm really pleased with how they came out. 

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

• Like 20

Cut and laid sticks during the rose parade (they're on cardstock, so I'll pull them out to seal them a few times, and put them back once I get the walls done. It got colder here, so I'm working on things that are easier to do indoors).  I'm pleased with the color-it's just regular popsicle sticks stained with strong coffee. 

I found some little moulding designed for cabinet trim that will make good baseboards. IMG_1415.thumb.jpeg.8d5b2f62e66ff43a008c96d3365469d8.jpeg

• Like 18

It's too cold to do the big painting stuff, so I brought it in to play a bit. The floors have buckled a bit from when I set them up inside vs out on the deck, so if they don't relax I'll be dismantling them and regluing them. Some of my shingles have peeled up out on the porch, top. 

I'm pleased with the scale. Calico critters are kind of in between 1/12 and 1/24, but since this is supposed to be a school-type building vs a house, the higher ceilings work. 

IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.a96e9a753f68def7553187f9ea41a677.jpegIMG_1425.thumb.jpeg.6c872d016c20b50e02140addcc6520b8.jpegIMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.b77815c2224246509b9beb74225cd250.jpegIMG_1423.thumb.jpeg.61221588fb9397632c31e77e0e910648.jpeg

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did you make all the stuff in the music room?  

Most of it-it was one of the first rooms I did last fall. One of the pianos is a Christmas ornament, and the other, snare drum, and xylophone are a Calico critters music room set (the teacher is from the set), as are some of the other small  instruments-there was a blind packed music run a couple of years ago that my family thought I needed. The flute and violin are from the Barbie music teacher set (they're the ones for Kelly), and some of the others are  Lego.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It's too cold to do the big painting stuff, so I brought it in to play a bit. The floors have buckled a bit from when I set them up inside vs out on the deck, so if they don't relax I'll be dismantling them and regluing them. Some of my shingles have peeled up out on the porch, top. 

I'm pleased with the scale. Calico critters are kind of in between 1/12 and 1/24, but since this is supposed to be a school-type building vs a house, the higher ceilings work. 

IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.a96e9a753f68def7553187f9ea41a677.jpegIMG_1425.thumb.jpeg.6c872d016c20b50e02140addcc6520b8.jpegIMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.b77815c2224246509b9beb74225cd250.jpegIMG_1423.thumb.jpeg.61221588fb9397632c31e77e0e910648.jpeg

Wow!  Thanks for sharing!