alysee

How many board Games do you own?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many board Games do you own?

• 0-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 15+

I'm literally laughing because it really is all or nothing when it comes to board Games.

We have 

- Sneaky snacky Squirrel

- Candyland

- Scattergories

- Monopoly Jr.

- Clue Jr. 

- bananagrams

- Boggle 

- Ticket to Ride Jr.

- Catan Jr.

- Sum Swamp

Edited by alysee

Zillions. But a lot of them we got/gave as gifts, tried 3-5 times, and they just sit there. When the kids were here, we actually *played* the same ~10 or so over and over; and my husband and I only play ~3-5 or so when it's just us.

We do Spelling Bee (online wordgame game designed for 1 person) collaboratively just about every day, a habit we started during lockdown. Before we discovered that one, we never played anything online together.  (He plays a Very Great Deal of online backgammon and regularly played online poker with an extended family group during the worst of COVID.)

21 minutes ago, alysee said:

I'm literally laughing because it really is all or nothing when it comes to board Games.

We have 

- Sneaky snacky Squirrel

- Candyland

- Scattergories

- Monopoly Jr.

- Clue Jr. 

- bananagrams

- Boggle 

- Ticket to Ride Jr.

- Catan Jr.

- Sum Swamp

How old are you kids? From the games listed it seems pretty young. Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is a great cooperative game for the younger age group. Another good game that is a press your luck while helping with math skills is Can't Stop.

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

How old are you kids? From the games listed it seems pretty young. Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is a great cooperative game for the younger age group. Another good game that is a press your luck while helping with math skills is Can't Stop.

I have 6 kids ages are from 1-13. I would love more board games for ages 5-13! 

My personal favorite game is Wingspan, which probably can easily be learned by kids 10+,  maybe younger if they are good at games. 

We also like 7 Wonders, Isle of Cats, Bargain Quest, Azul, Calico, Dominion (well, my boys like that one!), Above and Below, and the Fluxx games.  And of course classics like Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride. 

• Like 3

We have about 60-70. We tend to play the same 5ish over and over.

• Various forms of Uno
  • Various forms of Chess
  • Quixx
  • Various forms of Fluxx
  • Ticket to Ride

DH doesn't ever want to play any of the longer, more involved games, so even though I would love them, he's a no go. Oldest DD doesn't like any board/card games, so then we're down to 3. 

• Like 1

We have at least 40.  We don't play them as much as we used to.  The last time we played any was when our middle was home on leave in Sept.  His favorite is playing Trivial Pursuit mixing sets.  We roll a die to decide each turn which set to use (Dr. Who, Harry Potter, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, "normal", young player, Star Wars, etc.)

• Like 1

We have a fair few (not as many as those above!) and the kids will go through a stage of playing regularly and then nothing. They're getting more for Christmas though. My daughter and husband are competitive (or struggle with losing really) so I find it a bit exhausting playing with them. I think they are good as education - socially as much as anything - so I do try to embed them into homeschool. 

• Like 1

We have way more than 15 but most are confined to a single bookcase. I got small plastic bins with drawers. I put the game pieces in there and label them (as pictured). I put the empty boxes in the basement and shelved all the boards together with a label on the outside. You can get three times as many games onto a single bookcase this way. 

8F97153F-D0CA-47F1-B868-C8E6B73AA210.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

I've never counted. My kids say over 100, but I don't think so. My older kids have definite preferences for games, so we I have games for Dd20 (party games, word games, light strategy) and Ds19 games (complex, deep strategy), and for Ds17, who has no taste we have several Monopolies. lol The little girls, especially Dd13, are more willing to play all the games. Maybe because they liked playing with older siblings. I will play most games - no MTG, no Monopoly. I just like spending time with my kids.

• Like 1

So, I did a rough count. Some are boxed up and being stored at a friends house, but including expansions (that came in other boxes, not big boxes) which can be a debated topic in board game circles I am probably over 200. I would guess that around 40 of them get regular play and another 40 get pulled out often enough to justify the space they take up. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the rest though.

• Like 1