Menu

Ideas for Gymboree "like" clothes (more quotes)

sheryl

🙂  When dd was growing up I bought a lot of nwt and pre-owned Gymboree clothes.  That brand has pretty much been dissolved except "The Children's Place" apparently sells that brand or did the last time I looked but that was about 5 years ago.

The quality was very good at a reasonable price. 

I will buy my great niece and nephew an outfit for Christmas but need recommendations for a BRAND/LABEL that would be similar to Gymboree.  Is there one?

Thanks!

Oh man. They had the best stuff. The very few items I got from them with baby 1 waaaay back in 95 were the only items to make it through the wear and tear of all 11 kids.  I still have them set aside for possible grandkids.

Ive always said if I’d known I was going to have 11, Gymboree would have been the only items I’d have bought.

• Like 5

Okay, friend says:

"Gymboree is stupid-expensive now but they do still have lines. I know people get ridiculous prices reselling their Janie and Jack. They are now owned by GAP which is also probably a decent brand."

www.janieandjack.com

ETA: I have to say that it appears Gymboree has a good sale going right now.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

My kids wore nothing but Gymboree as kids because my mother was obsessed with it.  It still exists.  Not sure if it is the same quality.

Other high-end brands of kids clothes

Boden, Hanna Anderson, Janie and Jack

Of those 3 I'm only familiar with Janie and Jack but not that much.  Do they sell in stores or are they the store?

21 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh man. They had the best stuff. The very few items I got from them with baby 1 waaaay back in 95 were the only items to make it through the wear and tear of all 11 kids.  I still have them set aside for possible grandkids.

Ive always said if I’d known I was going to have 11, Gymboree would have been the only items I’d have bought.

Yes, I like the older Gymboree - colors, patterns, etc.

15 minutes ago, Katy said:

I think I’ve seen Gymboree at Walmart. It was a few years ago though. 

Hmm, I haven't looked.  The quality I'm guessing is not the same.

13 minutes ago, EKS said:

Gymboree still exists (online anyway). https://www.gymboree.com/us/home

I did not know that.  Thanks.   I looked a bit.  It's ok but not the same.  Maybe I'll look for another brand.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

My younger kids wear a lot of Mini Boden, Hannah Andersson, and Primary. I tend to buy a size ahead when they have sales. And I snag random brand name stuff from Nordstrom Rack  or similar stores when I feel like recreational shopping. 

Rack - good idea.   We have one here.   I'm not familiar with Mini Boden or Primary.  Hannah A - yes.  

9 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Okay, friend says:

"Gymboree is stupid-expensive now but they do still have lines. I know people get ridiculous prices reselling their Janie and Jack. They are now owned by GAP which is also probably a decent brand."

www.janieandjack.com

Yes, I just looked at website and the on-line prices are expensive.  

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

It's ok but not the same.

This is how I always felt about Gymboree.  They would go through stages of being good (because of some good collection) and then get mediocre again.  The clothes we had were always well made though.  Of course, the last Gymboree stuff I owned was manufactured in the 1990s, so what do I know?

I hope you find what you're looking for!

• Like 2

Primary, Hanna Andersson, Mini Boden, and some Gap stuff. Hanna took a quality dip around 2008(?), with some of their fabric and seam quality not being as premium as it was, but it has still been far above most other midline kid clothes makers. We started buying Hanna stuff over 20 years ago, and most of those clothes are still around, being worn by the 7th or 8th kid they have been passed down to.

Not a ton of people know about Primary, but it’s amazing.

• Like 2

Hanna Andersson stuff is so good! When mine were little, I would practically drool over the catalog, but couldn't afford to buy too much from them. When we did buy lasted forever and ever, and my kids were not easy on clothes. The other thing that I remember lasting a really long time was some overall skirt jumpers in printed denim that I picked up at the Lee outlet store.

I think you pay more for quality these days. When we started buying Hanna 20 years ago, each kid had four everyday outfits and two “church” ones. One of the reasons we bought quality was because it could handle frequent washings and keep its shape, and the fabric released stains well. I cared about oeko-tex/non toxic fabric dyes even back then.

• Like 1

Mini Boden is amazing. DS had a sweater he got handed down from there that he wore every day for two years. The boys who had owned it before had done the same.

We bought one from Cat and Jack the following year that looked the same and was described with the same text (they had larger sizes and he had outgrown Mini Boden at size 16) and it was lightweight and wore out very quickly, before the end of the season. 

(The following year we bought the Carhartt version of the Mini Boden sweater and that is amazing.)

Emily

• Like 2

We loved Hanna Anderson so much!  I would buy used clothes on eBay, and then my kids loved them so much that they would wear them twice a week for a couple years (because the sizing of dresses made that possible) and then we’d hand them down.  Thousands of washings later they would still look brand new.  I started sometimes even buying them new because the quality was so great.  There was a huge dip in quality around 2010 or so.   

I actually thought Children’s Place was great quality for very cheap when my kids were little too.  

• Like 2

Buying clothes for cheap comes with hidden consequences we don’t see. It means that the producers have been able to keep labor and materials costs low…follow the chain of where your clothing comes from. We’re putting the burden of low wages, environmental cleanup, and such onto others. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/style/article/dyeing-pollution-fashion-intl-hnk-dst-sept/index.html

https://amp.dw.com/en/bangladesh-garment-workers-say-current-wages-unsustainable/a-67334123

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

I had hand me down gymboree stuff that was still good and my fam was third or fourth in line with it. The last couple of years before closing the quality went to more like normal cheap manufactured stuff unfortunately.

I don’t think there’s a modern equivalent. Even straight cotton clothes just don’t wear like old-fashioned cotton: I don’t know what’s different about the weave other than being thinner but stuff wears out after a couple of years 

• Like 1

Hanna Andersson for sure. Some Gap is comparable. There are also some brands at Belk for kids under 6 that are reminiscent of Gymboree. I can't recall what they are at the moment, as mine are past that stage.

Gymboree is my forever love. We bought one outfit from the new TCP Gymbo site about 3 years ago. It was similarly sized and priced and the embroidery was good, but the shirt was not as thick as they once were. My younger one is still wearing Gymbo undies we got when they were closing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I have bins and bins of nothing but Gymboree clothes and I refuse to get rid of them. Most of them look as great as when my first few kids wore them (we don't use the dryer).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sheryl said:

How is the quality with Janie/Jack?  Compared to Gymboree which was thick yet soft.

I really like Janie and Jack (especially when I find pieces in thrift stores for $1!). The quality is really good, imo, and I've found I like the fabric better than some of the Gymboree items (especially the newer/more recent lines from Gymboree).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I had hand me down gymboree stuff that was still good and my fam was third or fourth in line with it. The last couple of years before closing the quality went to more like normal cheap manufactured stuff unfortunately.

I don’t think there’s a modern equivalent. Even straight cotton clothes just don’t wear like old-fashioned cotton: I don’t know what’s different about the weave other than being thinner but stuff wears out after a couple of years 

Yes, vintage cotton is different than current day cotton.   I asked a docent at the historical museum once about that and she said it was in the processing.  But, I can't help but think the actual cotton grown is maybe being tarnished with chemicals.  Even organic - I wonder if there is a compromise somewhere.

10 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Hanna Andersson for sure. Some Gap is comparable. There are also some brands at Belk for kids under 6 that are reminiscent of Gymboree. I can't recall what they are at the moment, as mine are past that stage.

Gymboree is my forever love. We bought one outfit from the new TCP Gymbo site about 3 years ago. It was similarly sized and priced and the embroidery was good, but the shirt was not as thick as they once were. My younger one is still wearing Gymbo undies we got when they were closing. 

Belk is expensive.  I'm talking nursery.   It's inflated.  But, we shop Belk.  I just think there are other options out there for cute and well-structured clothes.  We have a Dillard's outlet that is pretty decent.  It's in a small bedroom community to our west about 25 minutes but it might be worth the drive.  

8 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I have bins and bins of nothing but Gymboree clothes and I refuse to get rid of them. Most of them look as great as when my first few kids wore them (we don't use the dryer).

Yes, I've kept a few of the older Gymboree clothes 1999 to 2005 or so.  Patterns are just too cute and whimsical as well as excellent quality.  I use the lowest of low setting for delicates.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Belk is expensive.  I'm talking nursery.   It's inflated.  But, we shop Belk.  I just think there are other options out there for cute and well-structured clothes.  We have a Dillard's outlet that is pretty decent.  It's in a small bedroom community to our west about 25 minutes but it might be worth the drive.  

Belk does great clearance, though. They often have an extra 10% off clearance, too. My boys are in sizes 8-18 and I am almost exclusively shopping Belk and Hollister clearance now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brittany1116 said:

Belk does great clearance, though. They often have an extra 10% off clearance, too. My boys are in sizes 8-18 and I am almost exclusively shopping Belk and Hollister clearance now. 

IDK.   Maybe I don't get to the children's dept at Belk often enough.   Will go back.   Thanks!

Just now, sheryl said:

OK y'all question.  I've looked at Janie and Jack.  We have 2 outlet stores locally.  I will go in to browse at one of these stores.  How is the sizing?  Or, compare to Gymboree.  Do their clothes right tight, loose or right on?

Janie and Jack WAS owned by Gymboree.  I think Gap has them now. IME prior to Gymbo dissolving, the sizing was very similar to Gymbo. 

My kids are slim side of average. Carters typically fit them perfectly in age-to-size and Gymbo ran a bit loose. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mercy and others who suggested JJ.  I went yesterday and it's great clothing.  Structure, well-made, style and patterns as well as colors.  I'll be checking them out now and then.  They are a bit pricey and found their sale rack also comes at a good price.  There were some clothes on sale rack that were marked lower.  I found a cute boy sweater but $65 to me is ridiculously high.   Still, I'll be looking for sales.  I can't buy pre-owned unless there is that with nwt because these clothes will be gifts.  

Also, I'm keeping Hanna Andersson on my list.  

Will check out the other suggestions above soon.

Thanks.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:10 AM, Brittany1116 said:

Janie and Jack WAS owned by Gymboree.  I think Gap has them now. IME prior to Gymbo dissolving, the sizing was very similar to Gymbo. 

My kids are slim side of average. Carters typically fit them perfectly in age-to-size and Gymbo ran a bit loose. 

I always thought Gymboree must be made for short wide kids. My kids were slim but average height. Anything that fit them lengthwise was way too wide. We had the same problem with a few Esprit items. 

I tended to lean on Carter’s and my daughter had a few of the Hanna dress/leggings combos each year until she put her foot down at age 11 and asked me not to order them anymore. 🤣 Until then she wore them 2-3 times a week for years. 

I’m not sure how to dress this grandson. He seems to have a long torso. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I always thought Gymboree must be made for short wide kids. My kids were slim but average height. Anything that fit them lengthwise was way too wide. We had the same problem with a few Esprit items. 

I tended to lean on Carter’s and my daughter had a few of the Hanna dress/leggings combos each year until she put her foot down at age 11 and asked me not to order them anymore. 🤣 Until then she wore them 2-3 times a week for years. 

I’m not sure how to dress this grandson. He seems to have a long torso. 

I agree with the short and wide comment. We made it work by sizing down, tucking in shirts, layering etc. But they were rarely a perfect fit.