Menu

Sorry stupid idea

Drama Llama

7 hours ago, Starr said:

Sorting a whole house is mentally exhausting unless one loves to do it. We do bedrooms whatever color each person likes that week. I would do one space in a color you like. That would be enough for me. I’m sorry you have so many layers of life to work through. 

What would you do with the other spaces?

I'm the only adult in the household.  So, I'm unclear when you say "that would be enough for me" what you imagine me putting on the other walls.  Wouldn't you paint all the walls colors you like?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the kitchen can I suggest picking yellow. So I know there is blue cabinets there... I would want to repaint those red. (https://www.thespruce.com/yellow-kitchens-4159543)

mustard yellow kitchenI think blue cabinets can have such a strong presence in the room that it'd be hard to make it different. Plus when I looked at blue cabinet kitchen ideas all the wall color is a version of white. Unless that person really has a strong vision and it's a statement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

What would you do with the other spaces?

I'm the only adult in the household.  So, I'm unclear when you say "that would be enough for me" what you imagine me putting on the other walls.  Wouldn't you paint all the walls colors you like?

Sorry. I just meant for me I would just do my bedroom and then if I was up to doing more I would go from there. We did hallways neutral and other rooms as we liked. But I couldn’t picture it all at once . It was too overwhelming.

4 minutes ago, Starr said:

Sorry. I just meant for me I would just do my bedroom and then if I was up to doing more I would go from there. We did hallways neutral and other rooms as we liked. But I couldn’t picture it all at once . It was too overwhelming.

There are many holes in my walls from the traumatic events, plus there was work done in the kitchen.  I need it to not look like that before I move in.  

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Here's navy and yellow

cf868d7e5a24e0fa78e2b19f259b5feb.jpg

I like this picture.  

Painting the cabinets would be a lot of work.  Painting walls is easier.  And the cabinets aren't damaged.

I like yellow and blue, although I think the right yellow is key.  I wonder if that Cream Yellow would work? 

I don't really understand how this fits with the idea that warm and cool colors don't go together, and how to make the kitchen color mesh with hallway and upstairs color.  I don't think I want all that to be yellow.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

I don't really understand how this fits with the idea that warm and cool colors don't go together, and how to make the kitchen color mesh with hallway and upstairs color.  I don't think I want all that to be yellow.  

I don't believe in thinking about things like that. I go one room at a time and it'll all go together because I like it. So I wouldn't paint the hallway and up stairs yellow.

In my kitchen "painting it yellow" in reality is only half the room because of cabinets and open space.

And fwiw I hear you on the difficulty of this process. I had a very similar situation and had to return to the home briefly (thankfully not to live), and it was really really hard. Having family there helped, although I was kind of annoyed by it at the time. It was grounding, sort of. If you have someone like that who can do this with you, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them.  This period will pass and your life will calm down, but right now is when you lean on anyone you can.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I like this picture.  

Painting the cabinets would be a lot of work.  Painting walls is easier.  And the cabinets aren't damaged.

I like yellow and blue, although I think the right yellow is key.  I wonder if that Cream Yellow would work? 

Warm and cool colors can absolutely go together.  

Here's an easy article from Benjamin Moore on that.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-insights/warm-and-cool-colors#:~:text=Warm %26 Cool 101,cooler depending on their undertones.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thatfirstsip said:

And fwiw I hear you on the difficulty of this process. I had a very similar situation and had to return to the home briefly (thankfully not to live), and it was really really hard. Having family there helped, although I was kind of annoyed by it at the time. It was grounding, sort of. If you have someone like that who can do this with you, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them.  This period will pass and your life will calm down, but right now is when you lean on anyone you can.

Agreeing.  Do you have any friends that could help you paint and repair walls?   After my no ex was arrested several friends came at different times and helped me tackle big things .

• Like 1

Would you consider hiring an interior designer for a one hour color consultation? I did that once, and it was very helpful. 

My thoughts on yellow—It is a difficult color. I have had 3 rooms in the past painted different shades of yellow. I like yellow, but some shades are harsh and irritating—to me at least. You can buy cheap foam boards and a sample pot of any colors you are considering. Paint the board and move it around the room in different light and at different times of day. I haven’t read all the comments, so I apologize if this has already been suggested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

Would you consider hiring an interior designer for a one hour color consultation? I did that once, and it was very helpful. 

My thoughts on yellow—It is a difficult color. I have had 3 rooms in the past painted different shades of yellow. I like yellow, but some shades are harsh and irritating—to me at least. You can buy cheap foam boards and a sample pot of any colors you are considering. Paint the board and move it around the room in different light and at different times of day. I haven’t read all the comments, so I apologize if this has already been suggested. 

I can't be in the house.  It's too triggering in the state it's in. I plan to wait until it's repaired and painted to try again.  So, I can't move something around the room and look at it.  I need to pick based on little squares of paint.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I can't be in the house.  It's too triggering in the state it's in. I plan to wait until it's repaired and painted to try again.  So, I can't move something around the room and look at it.  I need to pick based on little squares of paint.

Is there a reason BIL or someone can't just go in and tape up larger swatches for you next to the cabinet or whatever and take photos for you?   Like, get the $3 samples from Home Depot, swatch a piece of poster board, photograph it for you, and then let you pick between three colors?

I don't think that you have no preferences about color. If you truly had no preferences, you wouldn't care if someone just gave you a random neutral color to paint. It's good that you have some preferences, but "navy" could mean any number of shades, and creamy yellow is a very hard color to nail down, especially in reference to another color.

I learned this lesson painfully with the Yellow Highlighter Nursery incident. Never pick a yellow in daylight because the nighttime/lowlight color can be very, very different.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
typed bulletin board instead of poster board; correction
  • Like 1

What if your BIL and others just go in and make all the repairs and paint EVERYTHING a very pale neutral like Agreeable Gray or Gray Owl. Make it a calming blank slate. Then later—-you can add some color here and there. And the pale neutral won’t be hard to paint over. Eta—not cabinets, trim, or doors—I’m taking about walls. Doors trim etc can be repaired and painted white.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, elegantlion said:

Yeah, I missed some too. When My ex and I divorced, I switched the office and bedroom and totally repainted. I used white and a burnt umber (either that or burnt sienna) and make a cathartic mix--No photo description available.

My ex's favorite color was blue. He had to have everything blue in the bedroom, ugh.  It's been almost a decade since we divorced and I still have a visceral reaction to some shades of blue, particularly royal blue. I even limit how much blue I wear. 

Excuse the bed, I had it covered for the dog. 

Are you an artist? That’s beautiful. I could never pull that off. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, popmom said:

Are you an artist? That’s beautiful. I could never pull that off. 

Thank you. No, not really. I have some experience just dabbling with different paint colors. This room was completed from mostly angst and anger. 

Llama - I agree that I would do everything one color if it would make it easier. What color represents calm and peace to you? that would be my biggest criterion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, popmom said:

What if your BIL and others just go in and make all the repairs and paint EVERYTHING a very pale neutral like Agreeable Gray or Gray Owl. Make it a calming blank slate. Then later—-you can add some color here and there. And the pale neutral won’t be hard to paint over. Eta—not cabinets, trim, or doors—I’m taking about walls. Doors trim etc can be repaired and painted white.

This. Go with something simple and change it later if you want.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Now I totally want to paint my kitchen yellow. OP, I’d definitely go with a yellow for your kitchen. I think it would be cheerful. You love to cook and a cheerful work space will build good associations. 

I really wouldn’t worry about coordinating colors. It does seem to be important to some people. But as much as I like my new house and it does look good, the coordination is bugging me bc I feel like it lacks creativity. Even with accent walls there’s too much sameness. And like I said—brown!  So, people are different. Honestly go with what you like. If you have a kitchen/family room that flow into one another or something, pay more attention to coordination. All the paint websites give suggestions for coordinating colors. Otherwise, try to chose things that make you happy. 

Edited by freesia

6 minutes ago, freesia said:

OP, I’d definitely go with a yellow for your kitchen. I think it would be cheerful. You love to cook and a cheerful work space will build good associations. 

Yes, this. 

In the interest of completely changing the way the rooms look, could you get some inexpensive posters or other artwork to hang on walls? You could choose things online, and either skip framing them or use college dorm type frames to keep costs down. Or go to some thrift shops or antique shops (not $$$ ones, but the sort that are packed with stuff at reasonable prices) and find some artwork you like. You wouldn’t have to set foot in the house to do that. Then someone could get things hung for you. Or, a similar idea… quilts/wall hangings? Anything that would direct your attention to *things on the wall* rather than to the wall itself.

Would it be possible to divide some spaces differently, with bookcases or screens? Or use wall to wall bookcases somewhere? Just looking around here and thinking, we have a big bookcase that came from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and was very inexpensive.

Maybe change out some furniture for inexpensive stuff with no associations attached. Put in new rugs. That sort of thing…?

I wish we could all go spend a weekend transforming the house for you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I just had another thought, since cooking is something you enjoy. Julia Child’s kitchens featured pegboard, from which she could hang her batterie de cuisine. It’s a classic look with built-in distraction.

https://www.colorado.edu/coloradan/2019/03/01/Julia-Child-Kitchen-Chef-Cookbook-Rental

That is awesome.

1 hour ago, freesia said:

Now I totally want to paint my kitchen yellow. OP, I’d definitely go with a yellow for your kitchen. I think it would be cheerful. You love to cook and a cheerful work space will build good associations. 

I really wouldn’t worry about coordinating colors. It does seem to be important to some people. But as much as I like my new house and it does look good, the coordination is bugging me bc I feel like it lacks creativity. Even with accent walls there’s too much sameness. And like I said—brown!  So, people are different. Honestly go with what you like. If you have a kitchen/family room that flow into one another or something, pay more attention to coordination. All the paint websites give suggestions for coordinating colors. Otherwise, try to chose things that make you happy. 

My kitchen is yellow and it makes me so very happy, especially during the long grey winter days. iT's so cheery. I have medium brown oak cabinets (I know they're not in style, but I don't care, I love the oak) and touches of red here and there. It's a happy place.

• Like 3

I pick a color I like and then look at what colors are suggested to go with it. There are always suggestions on the card or website but you can also Google and find suggestions on blogs.

I honestly could never tell. I can’t tell what is warm or cold or what color undertones anything has. No way. Even if you tell me I can’t see it. So I just let someone else tell me what coordinates. I trust the professionals whoever they are and if they are wrong I will never know the difference myself anyway.

Pick what you like. I used to go with bold colors but now I go with neutrals and decorate with bold pillows and accessories. It’s less pressure and easier to change up. But you can go either way.

• Like 2