How do you view Christmas?  

1. 1. How do you view Christmas?

• Family Holiday
    • National Holiday
    • Religious Holiday - Actual
    • Religious Holiday - Symbolic
    • Other - Please Explain
    • Do Not Celebrate Christmas

After my husband's sermon last night, I started thinking. And I would love to know your views on Christmas. I don't want this to get into a heated debate, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I feel that Christmas is a wonderful family holiday, but I don't see it as a religious holiday. We are not told in the bible when Christ was born or that we need to celebrate his birth.

I would love to see how others feel about this topic.

Merry Christmas

God Bless

ETA: I didn't have enough room to explain the poll options... so here goes.

Family Holiday - Celebrated for Family only, loved ones, blessings that God has given us...

National Holiday - Celebrated because the government says it is a holiday

Religious Holiday (Actual) - December 25th celebrated as the actual birthday of Christ

Religious Holiday (Symbolic) - December 25th celebrated because it is the day that was set aside to remember Christ's

birth, but not his actual birthday

Other - Please Explain

Do Not Celebrate - Explain if you want

Sorry for the delay with the poll. Thanks.

Edited by Lacie
Poll

I voted other and I will try to explain why in a way that makes some kind of sense (it makes sense in my head, but sometimes when I try to explain things that make sense to me they sound a bit silly).

I celebrate Christmas because it is what we have always done. I guess for me it is more about tradition than anything. I don't view it as a religious (actual or symbolic) holiday and I don't celebrate because the gov. says it is a holiday. I thought about voting for the family holiday, but I don't celebrate the holiday to honor family and friends or gods blessings (because I don't believe in god). I do enjoy spending time with family during the holiday season and giving and receiving gifts, but I don't do Christmas with the intention of celebrating family.

So, for me it boils down to tradition more than anything for why we do Christmas. :)

Though we do sing songs about Jesus' birth during this time of year (we actually sing them at other times too, though), we really see Christmas as a family tradition -- all about fun, giving, and feasting.

Dec 25 was not chosen for it's Christian significance, and Jesus most likely was NOT born in December. We stopped trying to put the Christ back in Christmas and stopped calling Jesus the reason for the season -- choosing to have pure, simple fun this time of the year and making sure we walk in a manner worthy of His calling every day of the year.

I voted Religious Symbolic because for my family it is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ. However, there are many things we do during Christmas that are just plain 'ole tradition and have nothing to do with Christ's birth but are just fun things to do. All in all our hearts are full of joy over the gift God gave us and our joy spills over. :D

For our family, the holiday centers on celebrating Christ's first coming and on preparing our hearts for his second coming. Most of our family traditions are directly related to that: Advent wreath & readings, decorations on the tree are mostly religious, Scripture reading, singing carols, Christmas Eve service is very important to us, and gifts are downplayed. We are together as a family on Christmas Day because all of us have the day off. Sometimes we travel to visit extended family after Christmas.

I didn't ever realize that there were Christians that don't celebrate Christmas for the traditional reason of commemorating Christ's birth. I always thought Christians celebrated it, and secular people looked at it as more of a tradition or special family holiday. It makes sense the way some Christians described it here and I don't think it's unbiblical-I just never thought of that way of viewing it! (ETA: I'm specifically referring to the ones who stated they stick to just commemorating Christ's death-and I assume resurrection, but no other holidays.)

FWIW, we celebrate it as a symbolic religious holiday-a time to celebrate with family the joyous event of the birth of Christ and all He means to us. We spend every day of the entire Advent season meditating-in many different ways-on how amazing it is that God Himself loved us so much that He would humble Himself to live and die for us. Even though Scripture does not command us to (or not to) celebrate Christ's birth, we feel celebrating it is a wonderful way to focus even more on the miracle that it was and how much it means to humankind.

Edited by HappyGrace

I voted "other"----we celebrate it as a family holiday in a way, in large part because our extended family celebrate it as a religious holiday. Our big celebration for our immediate family was yesterday, the Solstice. We only do Santa stockings on Christmas, then go to visit family.

I do see it as a national secular holiday as well, but not because the government says it is---more because it has evolved into that over the generations. Note that this is not to say that it isn't also celebrated by many as a religious holiday, just that as an overall national holiday I think it is something else as well, like the 4th of July, Thanksgiving or Halloween.

As a family and with our local church we take advantage of this season to review the story of the birth of Christ by reading it from the Bible, and we share the story with others in our home and in our sphere of influence where and when appropriate. We have a family tradition of reading the story from the Bible next to our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. We also usually go to a Christmas Eve church service where we light candles and sing songs about Christ's birth.

The children know that Christmas isn't the actual day that Christ was born, and they know some of the actual history of Christmas, and that Santa Claus is a fictional character, with a few historical roots. For the last 2 years we've watched a history of Christmas program on Discovery or History Channel (I can't remember which one). We find them very interesting.

We exchange presents, but it's not a super big deal in our family. We usually use the presents as an opportunity to buy the children the clothing that they need and a favorite toy, game, Lego's, or doll they've been wanting.

We also have a tradition of eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and Prime Rib with my husband's famous twice baked stuffed potatoes for dinner. Yum, yum!

Edited by JenniferB

We are not Christians in any traditional sense and have always celebrated Christmas as a purely cultural, family holiday. And as far as I know, the rest of my family still sees it that way. I, however, have been moving over recent years into an uneasy appreciation of Jesus in a very abstract and symbolic way. So, for me, the holiday has taken on some additional significance.

I feel that Christmas is a wonderful family holiday, but I don't see it as a religious holiday. We are not told in the bible when Christ was born or that we need to celebrate his birth.

But if it wasn't for the "religious" aspect in the first place, there wouldn't be a holiday at all.

But if it wasn't for the "religious" aspect in the first place, there wouldn't be a holiday at all.

Many cultures have had winter holidays long before Christmas, and this holiday borrowed on earlier pagan traditions.

Saturnalia, Yule, Winter Solstice, etc.

Christmas is a late-comer.

I voted "religious holiday symbolic."

For me, it's not a "holy" day since we are not commanded anywhere in the Scriptures to remember Christ's birth. But, remembering Him as the baby Jesus really draws home that He condescended to our level and became a man. It reinforces, to me, His humanity which is just as significant as His Diety.

I voted other and I will try to explain why in a way that makes some kind of sense (it makes sense in my head, but sometimes when I try to explain things that make sense to me they sound a bit silly).

I celebrate Christmas because it is what we have always done. I guess for me it is more about tradition than anything. I don't view it as a religious (actual or symbolic) holiday and I don't celebrate because the gov. says it is a holiday. I thought about voting for the family holiday, but I don't celebrate the holiday to honor family and friends or gods blessings (because I don't believe in god). I do enjoy spending time with family during the holiday season and giving and receiving gifts, but I don't do Christmas with the intention of celebrating family.

So, for me it boils down to tradition more than anything for why we do Christmas. :)

I voted family but didn't realize the OP had tied God to family. I don't associate God with anything in my life so I should have voted other. I totally agree with the above post - that's how I see it also - traditional. Here in Mexico Santa is beginning to make a foray into the culture and the big day is being shifted from Jan 6th to Dec 25th. Christmas is also becoming more and more commercialized. I see the western influence as a large loss.

I don't believe for an instant that Christmas would have become as big an event as it is without its Christian roots. It is, after all, called *Christ*mas.

I don't have a problem with people enjoying the season without feeling the need to celebrate the birth of Christ, though; I do all the cultural things, too. :-)

There does seem to be some evidence that the Christians celebrated Dec. 25 first as a religious event, which was taken over by the pagans, which was taken back by the Christians.

What she said :) I voted "national holiday" but what Deece said is more accurate.

Rosie

We are not religious but we celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. To do otherwise I think is the equivalent of showing up for a Seder and not taking part in the rituals. Just saying, "Thanks but we're just here for the food." Or observing Bastille Day but wishing it were, "Just a little less French." I see it the same way I see other cultural events I might observe. I don't leave out the most important element.

I would have put "symbolic religious holiday" if I had read the posts before voting.

Edited by Zelda

I guess I have to say 'other'.

We do christmas because it's christmas. Trees and presents and stockings and gifts and food. When I was young I always thought it was just a funny coincidence that christmas ended up on the same day as jesus birthday. (My birthday ends up on easter ever so many years and I know other people with holiday birthdays.) I just couldn't see any connection between trees and stockings and jesus. I still don't. To me christmas and the 'the birth of christ' are two seperate events that happen on the same day.

But I think it is very cultural, and a large part because it is a national holiday, but also because of family. (and our definition of family is that it is what you make it, not who you are blood related to) It's like July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Easter, Halloween and Thanksgiving. You form traditions, eat certain foods, do certain things and spend time with certain people. So I can't really narrow down to one poll option, so my best would be "other".

We do go to church sometimes on christmas eve. But I've always either looked at it as a seperate religious thing, or because we are going with friends/family so it becomes part of the 'to be with them' type of thing.

We are not religious but we celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. To do otherwise I think is the equivalent of showing up for a Seder and not taking part in the rituals. Just saying, "Thanks but we're just here for the food." Or observing Bastille Day but wishing it were, "Just a little less French." I see it the same way I see other cultural events I might observe. I don't leave out the most important element.

I hear what you're saying, and I think however someone celebrates a holiday (or doesn't) is perfectly fine. But I just wanted to give an example of how I treat what I consider a Christian holiday. Resurrection Day, for example is simply that in our family. We only remember his death/burial and resurrection. We don't buy special clothes, we don't buy candy, we don't decorate eggs, we don't hunt for anything. We just focus on Christ.

If I were to follow that with Christmas, we wouldn't buy gifts, we wouldn't decorate, we wouldn't play Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, etc. -- we would only think on His birth on that day. We do speak of Jesus' birth and sing songs about it during this season because it is such a cultural thing, but we really don't "do" Christmas because of Jesus' birth -- we "do" Christmas because it's a blast -- same reason we "do" birthdays.

It was actually freeing for me to not have to remind myself or the children that we were supposed to remember the reason for the season and not get so excited over the "stuff."

I hear what you're saying, and I think however someone celebrates a holiday (or doesn't) is perfectly fine.

It was actually freeing for me to not have to remind myself or the children that we were supposed to remember the reason for the season and not get so excited over the "stuff."

Well, I'm talking about people who routinely go out of their way to mock or take offense with Christianity and then piggy-back onto the holiday and pretend it has nothing to do with Jesus. Its not like my atheist family decides to become worshipful that day but we do acknowledge that the holiday has evolved from a number of different traditions into an important Christian holiday and we take part in various observations out of respect along with the Rudolph and Frosty and Grinch stuff. I'll admit that my take on it isn't popular among other secularists but I part ways with them on almost everything.

ETA: I'm specifically referring to the ones who stated they stick to just commemorating Christ's death-and I assume resurrection, but no other holidays.

Hi Happy Grace. I thought I'd answer this in case you were interested. It sounds like you, like I, are interested in what others believe though possibly surprised :)

No, we do not celebrate Christ's resurrection. His resurrection is the basis of my belief system and I believe a very basic doctrinal belief (1 Cor 15:14, 17). However, at no time were we told to commemorate Jesus' resurrection. There is no reason to believe first century Christians did. History shows that it, the Christian version, came about in the second century and became more widespread in the fourth. And then there are the pagan influences we are wary of as God has made it clear not to mix true worship with other acts. Lastly, Christ commands us to commemorate his death which tends to get overshadowed by Easter celebrations.

This is the super short version and I'm sure left out some important information. I just wanted to answer your ETA so you weren't just guessing :)

Best to you and yours,

Edited by 2J5M9K

National holiday - because of society, not government. I can't imagine not participating in Christmas when everyone else around us does. Now, if I had to skip it because of religious beliefs, that would be different. Christmas has never had a religious meaning to it in my family. Oh I've participated in church things and even burned a candle one year in honor of Jesus, but it all felt really strange. Christmas is Santa Claus, reindeer, shopping, gifts, family, food, and a much needed winter break from school/work.

I would have put "symbolic religious holiday" if I had read the posts before voting.

I love having you on these boards!

Our family recognizes that Christmas has built upon the traditions of previous winter festivals, including the winter solstice, Saturnalia, etc. I would say, though, that even though Christmas is a late-comer to some, its celebration seems to have dominated most of the other winter festivals, and has for some time now.

I think there's some elbow room for the celebration of the holiday by Christians to be done from a variety of motives. Although Scriptural authority means little to nothing to some folks, nevertheless there is some wisdom that can be gleaned from admonitions to Christians like this one: "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord . . . " (Romans 14:5-6; also Rom. 14:7-12). Even though Paul was obviously addressing festivals other than Christmas (which, as noted, wasn't considered a Christian holiday until some time later), the principles of tolerance towards a variety of ways in which Christians do or don't celebrate the holiday nevertheless are applicable, I think.

And, Zelda's point displays good sense: despite its mixed origins, Christmas is still considered by many/most to be a Christian holiday. SWB makes a similar point in her Preface to The History of the Ancient World: "I have chosen to use the traditional designations BC and AD for dates. I understand why many historians choose to use BCE and CE in an attempt to avoid seeing history entirely from a Judeo-Christian point of view, but using CE while still reckoning from Christ's birth seems, to me, fairly pointless." I think this goes back to Zelda's point: somehow the essence is still there.

ETA: I'm going on some numbers here, but the population of Catholics alone around the world is over one billion, according to this source, and there are approximately 2 billion Christians around the world, according to this website, so by numbers alone I'm guessing that most Christians think of Christmas as a Christian holiday, and I believe many of those Christians also understand that it wasn't originally considered to be a Christian holiday. Nevertheless, I think it's a matter of one's heart before God.

Edited by Michelle in MO
additional thoughts

voted other:

For us we do Santa Claus, presents, and family time but I also talk to the children about how we are giving to one another in honor of how God gave us Jesus and that we are celebrating baby Jesus' birth.

So it is a tangle of religious and family and a very special time for us. We try to remember others at this time.:001_smile:

FWIW, we celebrate it as a symbolic religious holiday-a time to celebrate with family the joyous event of the birth of Christ and all He means to us. We spend every day of the entire Advent season meditating-in many different ways-on how amazing it is that God Himself loved us so much that He would humble Himself to live and die for us. Even though Scripture does not command us to (or not to) celebrate Christ's birth, we feel celebrating it is a wonderful way to focus even more on the miracle that it was and how much it means to humankind.

:iagree:Since I can't say it better than HappyGrace, I'll quote her!

I love having you on these boards!

Our family recognizes that Christmas has built upon the traditions of previous winter festivals, .......

I think there's some elbow room for the celebration of the holiday by Christians to be done from a variety of motives. Although Scriptural authority means little to nothing to some folks, nevertheless there is some wisdom that can be gleaned from admonitions to Christians like this one: "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord . . . " (Romans 14:5-6; also Rom. 14:7-12). Even though Paul was obviously addressing festivals other than Christmas (which, as noted, wasn't considered a Christian holiday until some time later), the principles of tolerance towards a variety of ways in which Christians do or don't celebrate the holiday nevertheless are applicable, I think.

And, Zelda's point displays good sense: despite its mixed origins, Christmas is still considered by many/most to be a Christian holiday. SWB makes a similar point in her Preface to The History of the Ancient World: "I have chosen to use the traditional designations BC and AD for dates. I understand why many historians choose to use BCE and CE in an attempt to avoid seeing history entirely from a Judeo-Christian point of view, but using CE while still reckoning from Christ's birth seems, to me, fairly pointless." I think this goes back to Zelda's point: somehow the essence is still there.

The OP asked for no debates, and I really wouldn't want to anyway, :001_smile:

But I'll just say I agree with your post(editing mine), and the scripture you referenced.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Although Scriptural authority means little to nothing to some folks, nevertheless there is some wisdom that can be gleaned from admonitions to Christians like this one: "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord . . . " (Romans 14:5-6; also Rom. 14:7-12).

This was a very timely reference. Thanks!

Oh, and I just want to reiterate that I have never entered this discussion in an effort to debate or change another's views -- only to clarify mine b/c I am finding our stance is a little less common than others who are also conservative Christians.

Edited by nestof3

I'm another one that should have read the poll. I voted "Family" but should have voted "Other" as we celebrate it because it's a family tradition. My dh's family is more religious about it, but mostly because "that's what you're supposed to do"

My kids will bring up the more christian aspects of the holiday but that's mostly because of the Veggietales movies they watch. My dh and I have been trying to decide what to call this instead of Christmas, because we're not "Jesus is the reason for the season" people, but we don't know much about other winter holidays and don't know that we'd fit any of those either. We do have a tree, decorations, Santa, presents for the kids, celebrate St. Nickolas with stockings, etc, but we're not typical to our family when it comes to Christmas since we don't go to church or any of the other religious things.

Ok I'll stop rambling now, although it was nice to see we're not alone in how we celebrate.

I wish I could have checked more than one. Ultimately we celebrate Christ's birth on that day and that is what I want my kids to know. But, I could have also checked family because we love to be with family. And, I don't know what National Holiday means, but I could have checked that because we like to celebrate the non-religious themes of Christmas too.