Menu

House updates

DawnM

Ok, between now and the sale of our house, I will update here IF anyone wants to know. 

Our house is now listed with MLS as "Coming soon" and has photos of the front of the house and the backyard.  It also lists a description of the house.   I wanted to emphasize the MIL/multi gen  apartment we built and the fact that our property has a lot of privacy with tree lined areas, etc....She emphasized the MIL suite/apartment but not the privacy, but maybe that is because you can see the tree lines and privacy in the photos.  

Anyway,  we should go live for showings on Saturday (God willing and the creek don't rise as they say in the South)

Our neighborhood sells quickly (at least historically) and we will be the ONLY house in our neighborhood for sale, so we are hoping that means it will sell quickly.   Our realtor seems to think there may be a bidding war.   We are not counting on that and doubt it, but we will see.

It is only Tuesday and I am anxious about Saturday.....this isn't good.

Today is staging, tomorrow is photos, Thur photos go online and Friday midnight it goes live.   I think the number of showings booked for the weekend will give us a little idea of the interest levels.

Stay tuned.....it's going to be a bumpy ride!

• Like 39

I hope all goes well for you and yes, keep us updated!

Two weeks ago a For Sale sign went up for the house across the street saying there would be an open house on Sunday--we were thinking of going just to see the inside. On Saturday the sign came down. We still don't know what happened but I'm guessing it sold. Then we got a postcard from a realtor saying the same floor plan house at the top of our street sold for 40k over asking price with 4 offers. So my guess is that one of the parties that didn't win that somehow made an offer on the house across the street that was good enough for them to cancel their open house and pull it off the market. I think Zillow will let me know in a month or two.

• Like 1

We have FOUR showings booked as of today.   Whoo HOO!   Hopefully more tomorrow as photos will go up in the afternoon.

One guy said he has been looking in our neighborhood for a while and there are no houses available and he wants the FIRST showing on Saturday because he thinks our house may work well for him based on the description.

DH said he had several people in cars drive by slowly and some took pictures.   

So there is interest!

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 26

@DawnM, I pray yours goes as well as ours did! We had 22 showings in 48 hours. We had 10 offers at the time we cut off receiving them with people still calling wanting to see it. It was during the super low interest rate time a couple of years ago, but having 4 already is a good sign!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mom31257 said:

@DawnM, I pray yours goes as well as ours did! We had 22 showings in 48 hours. We had 10 offers at the time we cut off receiving them with people still calling wanting to see it. It was during the super low interest rate time a couple of years ago, but having 4 already is a good sign!! 

Dang!   Did the house go for over asking?

51 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Gets out the popcorn for the bidding war...  😄  My former boss just sold his house for $50K over what he thought it was worth. He was glad he listened to the realtor. 

I am trying not to get my hopes up.   I mean, I didn't even know our house could ever be listed for the price it is listed for.   I expected about 25% less!   So we are already ahead in my book.   

But to get even more?   I can't even imagine.

I am interested in your story because we are planning to do the same albeit at a somewhat slower pace. We have already talked to the real estate agent. The plan is to declutter, do some small upgrades/fixes and clean and have it ready for market in Feb. So I am taking notes.  

• Like 1

Wow that is extremely promising! 

We are listing our house next Friday after talking about it forever. Our market has cooled as we missed the window of doing it before kids go back to school but it still is a sellers market and we still are listing for more than I imagined possible. We will see what happens. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

The price was above what we knew it would appraise for, so we took a cash offer for our sale price. Most offers were above it, but they were conditional on the appraisal. 

Oh I would have taken that offer too.   I am still surprised that the house we are buying accepted a conditional sale.   I feel bad that I won't reciprocate that grace and mercy to buyers, but we can't afford to do it at this point.

26 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Wow that is extremely promising! 

We are listing our house next Friday after talking about it forever. Our market has cooled as we missed the window of doing it before kids go back to school but it still is a sellers market and we still are listing for more than I imagined possible. We will see what happens. 

You will prob be ok, and here, if you purchase a house and have the purchase agreement, you can start your kids in the new school (of course this doesn't work if you are moving far away)

If someone buys our house in the next week, they can still get closed by the start of kids going to school, or very close to it.   Staff (me) go back mid-August.

I think it also might be in our favor to be this close to school starting.   Inventory is low, people are scrambling if they haven't purchased yet, and we are down to the wire with schools starting soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

You will prob be ok, and here, if you purchase a house and have the purchase agreement, you can start your kids in the new school (of course this doesn't work if you are moving far away)

If someone buys our house in the next week, they can still get closed by the start of kids going to school, or very close to it.   Staff (me) go back mid-August.

I think it also might be in our favor to be this close to school starting.   Inventory is low, people are scrambling if they haven't purchased yet, and we are down to the wire with schools starting soon.

We just had too much going on personally to work around school starting even though I knew it was an issue. Ours start Aug 7. But it isn’t as if no one buys a house any other time. It just is what it is and we definitely don’t want to wait until the spring. We aren’t under pressure as we don’t even know where we will go when it sells, unlike your situation. 

• Like 1

Just now, teachermom2834 said:

We just had too much going on personally to work around school starting even though I knew it was an issue. Ours start Aug 7. But it isn’t as if no one buys a house any other time. It just is what it is and we definitely don’t want to wait until the spring. We aren’t under pressure as we don’t even know where we will go when it sells, unlike your situation. 

Are you staying local?

Yes- about 25 miles from a smaller town on the outskirts of a medium sized city to the city. My dh works in the city (though mostly remote now). We had some reasons for living in this far flung town that just down apply anymore and we’d like to be closer to things. Plus we have launched 3/4 of our kids and our house doesn’t work for us anymore. So we have reasons to move but none pressing and we can easily go into a rental if needed. We are just kind of winging it. Going to see how selling shakes out first. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yes- about 25 miles from a smaller town on the outskirts of a medium sized city to the city. My dh works in the city (though mostly remote now). We had some reasons for living in this far flung town that just down apply anymore and we’d like to be closer to things. Plus we have launched 3/4 of our kids and our house doesn’t work for us anymore. So we have reasons to move but none pressing and we can easily go into a rental if needed. We are just kind of winging it. Going to see how selling shakes out first. 

Gotcha.

We thought we would need to move further out and we weren't sure what to do about that (or significantly downsize our house size) but we were very surprised to find that we were able to find 2.5 acres closer in to the city than we are now!

New house is 6 miles closer to the city, which may not seem like a lot but that 6 miles can take 20 min. sometimes!   My commute will be cut by at least 10 min, more during peak times.   Dh's will be cut too, although he works from home a lot.   

• Like 8

We still do NOT have photos up (hopefully some time today the professional photos will go up), but we already have 8 showings booked!

WhooHoo!

I still hope the guy from NJ who requested the first showing and said he only wants our neighborhood will put an offer in before noon on Saturday!

I don't need a bidding war, I just need one very good/firm/quality offer that won't back out due to finances or whatever.

• Like 13

On 7/19/2023 at 3:51 AM, KidsHappen said:

I am interested in your story because we are planning to do the same albeit at a somewhat slower pace. We have already talked to the real estate agent. The plan is to declutter, do some small upgrades/fixes and clean and have it ready for market in Feb. So I am taking notes.  

And that is the way to do it!   But, knowing me, I would wait until the end anyway.

We planned originally to buy land and build and that would have given us about 9-12 months to get ready slowly.

It just took a turn somewhere......😃

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DawnM said:

We still do NOT have photos up (hopefully some time today the professional photos will go up), but we already have 8 showings booked!

WhooHoo!

I still hope the guy from NJ who requested the first showing and said he only wants our neighborhood will put an offer in before noon on Saturday!

I don't need a bidding war, I just need one very good/firm/quality offer that won't back out due to finances or whatever.

This is how I have felt about all the homes we sold during moves. I really have zero desire to weasel ever last bit of cash I can get out of someone. The process is so stressful to me that all I wanted was just a solid offer from someone who financing was a lock.

We bid on a place we loved in Bama, $25,000 above asking and we had the cash and financing to back it up. We found out through the grapevine that the owners accepted a $50,000 above offer from someone with sketchy ability to make it happen. Tied up the house for nearly three months, and then fell through. By then we had found Shan Gri La, bid, and had already closed on it. Their realtor didn't know, and contacted our realtor to see if we wanted to offer again. Ha ha. Our realtor ended up watching the saga just to see how it went. They kept accepting the highest offer in every bid war though each time, those buyers were trying to stretch too far and their financing kept falling through. It tied up the house for months, and in the end, according to our realtor, other realtor got tired of dealing with the owners and discouraged buyers from looking at it. They ended up selling for $27,000 below asking according to the Zillow report on it.

I think you have right attitude Dawn. Take a solid offer. In the end, lowering your stress is very much worth it.

• Like 4

Kind of freaking out.   Photos went up around 2pm yesterday and after the photos wen up, no more showings have been booked.

I thought it would be the opposite.

Should I be worried?

DH told me last night, "Well, I guess we will have to stay in this house.  I am not moving for the sake of moving."

I was like, "WHAT?  Um, no, I didn't put this much effort, time, and money into bringing all our stuff back into this house!"

But it all remains to be seen.

Maybe you just already booked showings with the possible buyers. The group in the pool that would be looking already booked before the photos. ??? I’m sure your photos didn’t turn people off. I bet you get more today but it sounded like you already had a lot.

We are getting photos done today. I’m definitely freaking out. We have lots of good reasons to move and have been talking about it forever. We first made contact with our realtor and had her out March 2022. This has been the plan all along. Now that it is here kind of freaking out. 

Houses in our neighborhood have been going under contract within a couple days but two comparable ones to mine (one right down the street and one a street over) have been on the market 8 days already and still not under contract. So freak out engaged. Haha.

It’s just such a big decision and so unpredictable I guess there is no way not to freak out some.

Our first move was by the seat of the pants “hey maybe we should move” and I called a realtor and set it in motion. But I was in my 20s. Our next move was under duress as dh was laid off and we had to move for a job and it was an awful situation. This move has been planned and carefully considered and we are ready. I thought it would mitigate the freaking out. We are more organized but it is still very stressful! 

I don’t like my house or where I live. Yet here I am having doubts. Ack!

I bet you have your house sold by the end of the weekend and it will all be worth it!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

I would look at it as those who are interested have already scheduled a showing. I would be more concerned if showings were cancelled after seeing the pictures. Adding the pics doesn't make it a new listing, so it won't garner the attention the initial listing did. There will be more showings. Just give it time. With any luck, you won't need any additional showings! 

• Like 4

Today is the DAY!

The one guy who wanted the very first showing has asked for 7:30 since the earliest 8am, was already taken.

That is the guy who said he really wants our neighborhood but there has not been anything available.

Maybe he will look, make an offer, and we can wrap this up by noon! 🤣

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 27

14 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Well, it might take longer than 3 hrs for it to sell….

😉

What?   In the words of Veruca Salt....."I want it NOW!"

6 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

Offers can take a while to write. 

Well, true, I am sure they are writing it up as we speak.  🤣

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

What?   In the words of Veruca Salt....."I want it NOW!"

Well, true, I am sure they are writing it up as we speak.  🤣

Do you mention you would review offers as they came in or give a date/time when you would review all offers?

Either way, yes, I would expect it to take time to write offers.  DS has been hunting for over a year and put in many offers but the relator has more things to do than just write offers for DS so it's typically been at least 6-8 hours (but usually the next day since he tours towards the end of the day), before any of his offers were actually turned in. 

Hoping by the end of the day you have a nice selection to review!

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Do you mention you would review offers as they came in or give a date/time when you would review all offers?

Either way, yes, I would expect it to take time to write offers.  DS has been hunting for over a year and put in many offers but the relator has more things to do than just write offers for DS so it's typically been at least 6-8 hours (but usually the next day since he tours towards the end of the day), before any of his offers were actually turned in. 

Hoping by the end of the day you have a nice selection to review!

I was completely joking, just so you know.   I didn't expect to sell it by 10am.

We have 48 hours to respond to any offers.

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I was completely joking, just so you know.   I didn't expect to sell it by 10am.

We have 48 hours to respond to any offers.

I know you were joking but I’m not going to lie - Mr 7:30 showing man would have had be watching for an offer and tapping my foot!!! 

It’s not a completely rational experience. Buying or selling!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I know you were joking but I’m not going to lie - Mr 7:30 showing man would have had be watching for an offer and tapping my foot!!! 

It’s not a completely rational experience. Buying or selling!

It can be really emotional, especially if someone thinks their house is worth more than it is.   We just listened to a realtor tell us our furniture choices were way too casual and we needed to rent furniture that was on par with nicer furniture.......it was a bit of a punch in the gut to be told your taste isn't good enough.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

It can be really emotional, especially if someone thinks their house is worth more than it is.   We just listened to a realtor tell us our furniture choices were way too casual and we needed to rent furniture that was on par with nicer furniture.......it was a bit of a punch in the gut to be told your taste isn't good enough.

Agreed. I have a very realistic idea of what my house is worth and my previous houses were in pretty bad shape and I knew it. I still didn’t like people telling me. When we sold 8 years ago we got emails with the buyers reactions and I did not enjoy. That could have just gone to my realtor and she could have brought me the big picture takeaways not the blow by blow. 

I’m not really into houses or decorating and it still is personal when someone tells you your stuff isn’t good enough. Rationally you know it isn’t personal but it’s your home! 

This house we are selling now is much nicer than our previous homes but I know that just means the people looking are going to be pickier. Ugh. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Agreed. I have a very realistic idea of what my house is worth and my previous houses were in pretty bad shape and I knew it. I still didn’t like people telling me. When we sold 8 years ago we got emails with the buyers reactions and I did not enjoy. That could have just gone to my realtor and she could have brought me the big picture takeaways not the blow by blow. 

YES!   My friend finally told her realtor to not tell her any of it unless it would be helpful.   Hearing people say, "The bathrooms are too small" isn't helpful, you can't change that!   We had one tell us last time, "Tear down that ugly eye sore of an above ground pool and maybe we will talk!"   Um, WHY did I need to see that?   And just an FYI, that "eye sore" is what interested the couple who eventually purchased our house.

I’m not really into houses or decorating and it still is personal when someone tells you your stuff isn’t good enough. Rationally you know it isn’t personal but it’s your home! 

This house we are selling now is much nicer than our previous homes but I know that just means the people looking are going to be pickier. Ugh. 

YES!   That is true too.   Our house is nicer this time around and people want picture perfect.

Damn HGTV!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I hope that wasn't your realtor. Although your realtor should have kept you from comments like that or you shouldn't be at the house for the showing.

The buyers and the buyer's agent (though less so the agent) are going to negatively comment on a home they are looking at. They want a lower price no matter how perfect the home is. It's always a gut punch to the sellers no matter how much they know this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

I hope that wasn't your realtor. Although your realtor should have kept you from comments like that or you shouldn't be at the house for the showing.

The buyers and the buyer's agent (though less so the agent) are going to negatively comment on a home they are looking at. They want a lower price no matter how perfect the home is. It's always a gut punch to the sellers no matter how much they know this.

Our realtor.   She didn't use those words but insisted we stage with staging furniture.   AKA:   Huge bucks!   But it does look nice, nothing I could ever live with and keep clean, but looks nice.

• Like 1

We have two feedbacks from our showings.   Only two out of nine.   Our realtor said sometimes realtors put it in later.

Anyway, one said they have put it on their short list but want to see more houses and don't like our garage.

The other one said no.   They don't like that it isn't an open enough floor plan for them.   They also said it needs too many updates.   That kind of threw me since our house is quite updated.   I think that just means it isn't their particular style.   

Neither mentioned price.   Neither mentioned anything we have a ability to change.

No feedback from NJ man who wanted our neighborhood.

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

We have two feedbacks from our showings.   Only two out of nine.   Our realtor said sometimes realtors put it in later.

Anyway, one said they have put it on their short list but want to see more houses and don't like our garage.

The other one said no.   They don't like that it isn't an open enough floor plan for them.   They also said it needs too many updates.   That kind of threw me since our house is quite updated.   I think that just means it isn't their particular style.   

Neither mentioned price.   Neither mentioned anything we have a ability to change.

No feedback from NJ man who wanted our neighborhood.

That’s got to be frustrating, after all your efforts. I hope you get some encouraging comments, or better yet some good offers, soon. It does sound like you have a desirable property; the right buyers may just take a little time to come along. 

I’ve been following your house threads with interest and some trepidation because we’ll be putting our house on the market in about eighteen months. Trying to learn what we will need to do…

Fingers crossed that an eager buyer appears for your house, pronto.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

That’s got to be frustrating, after all your efforts. I hope you get some encouraging comments, or better yet some good offers, soon. It does sound like you have a desirable property; the right buyers may just take a little time to come along. 

I’ve been following your house threads with interest and some trepidation because we’ll be putting our house on the market in about eighteen months. Trying to learn what we will need to do…

Fingers crossed that an eager buyer appears for your house, pronto.

We definitely didn't do this the "right" way and we did it way too fast.

I was thinking about how I would do it next time and thought that what would probably be the most efficient would be to go room by room and make a list of everything that needs to be done:

1. Does it need new flooring?   Refinish flooring?  Carpet cleaning?

2. Are the walls nicely painted, neutral colors, clean?   What about the trim and baseboards?

3. Is there any way to consolidate the STUFF in this room?   Pile to give away, pile to sell, clean up and organize what is staying.

4. Can I get rid of some furniture?   Is there something I haven't really liked but has been functional?   Get rid of it!

5. And then start with what needs to be done outside the house and in the yard and make that list.

Start saving or buying things you might need to stage the house.   

If we had spent 18 months getting ready I think it would have been an easier pill to swallow financially.   15k to get the house in order all at once was too much.   AND, DH could have done a lot of the work himself and I could have purchased quality furniture off FB marketplace for staging for the price we paid to have the rental furniture.   OH, and I could have cleaned the house myself or shopped around for cleaners.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I was thinking about how I would do it next time and thought that what would probably be the most efficient would be to go room by room and make a list of everything that needs to be done:

2. Are the walls nicely painted, neutral colors, clean?   What about the trim and baseboards?

3. Is there any way to consolidate the STUFF in this room?   Pile to give away, pile to sell, clean up and organize what is staying.

4. Can I get rid of some furniture?   Is there something I haven't really liked but has been functional?   Get rid of it!

5. And then start with what needs to be done outside the house and in the yard and make that list.

If we had spent 18 months getting ready I think it would have been an easier pill to swallow financially.   15k to get the house in order all at once was too much.   AND, DH could have done a lot of the work himself and I could have purchased quality furniture off FB marketplace for staging for the price we paid to have the rental furniture.   OH, and I could have cleaned the house myself or shopped around for cleaners.

Thank you for the list; that’s very helpful. I need to make one for us, and start planning a timeframe for it all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Don’t beat yourself up. You were ready to move, and you went with it. Who knows what the housing market will be like in 18 months…you might have been no further ahead financially than you are now.

We sold our house quickly when  My husband decided to retire. We sold it in a text…no getting ready , no staging, just showed them the house and we communicated thru  text. We could have made more money had we not hurried into the decision and had an appraisal done or put it on the market and encouraged  a bidding war. Those kids got a deal and they would have paid more.   It just is what it is. We are happy with the less stress and just moved forward. 

Hang  in there. The process of Selling a house is not fun..

• Like 2

When my parents sold their house, the first offer had some special financing that can be difficult to work with (wanting changes to hand-holds on porches etc) but they were about to accept the offer because they were moving when they got an all-cash offer for a family with the only stipulation of being able to move in quickly. So they accepted the all cash offer and signed documents my mom's last day of work, spent the night in the hotel and moved out of state the next morning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I have a spreadsheet where I keep all this. I made it when we bought the house and update as we see things/do things.

I hope you get a nice full price offer from NJ man. That is so strange that he pushed so hard and now nothing.

• Like 1

Still nothing and now no one is even signing up to view the house.

Realtor said she is gong to follow up with the realtors who showed the house for any feedback.

We are wiling to lower the price but we obviously can't change the layout of the house or the way the garage faces!

Just not sure price is the issue.   The house is priced similarly to others in the neighborhood that sold within 0-5 days, most of them 0-1 days.   

We feel that even if we lose the new house, we need to move forward with selling.   We have put too much into this sale to stay.   We have carpet we would NEVER have chosen for ourselves as it is light colored and solid.   We like the flecks to hide our multitude of sins! 😅   We paid for stupid staging furniture that we can't even use or enjoy or keep.   And 80% of our stuff is already in storage and I am not moving it back!

• Sad 11