Menu

March 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

Hey Everyone! 

I'm so sorry I'm late with creating the new reading thread for the month! 😫 My oldest DD is going into 10th grade next year and several online classes opened up yesterday, so I was apparently so focused on getting that done that I forgot all other things! 🤦‍♀️

February seemed to go by so fast, it's hard to believe it's March already! I hope y'all are all doing well and having an enjoyable time with your reading. February was a pretty good month for me, so I'm excited to keep that trend going.

Happy reading!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I got upset yesterday that we had missed a diy film class that was on my schedule. My youngest DD piped up with "Mom, February doesn't generally have 29 days, this is just March 1 and we are still in track." Oops.

I'm reading a Department Q mystery, The Shadow Murders. Playing a minor side role is the COVID pandemic.

• Like 3

@Amelia - Family Matters was one of my first homeschool research books too. I found it quite helpful.

Finished Women in White Coats -- Made me tremendously grateful to be supporting myself in the late 1900s and early 2000s and so thankful for all the research that has happened since those early pioneers with all their determination and persistence against such strong opposition!!

Have been on a Marion Zimmer Bradlley re-read kick. I didn't realize that omnibus versions of some of her novels had been published and I am really enjoying the re-reads.

My next book club book is Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman -- I am hoping it's not too creepy!!

And thanks for the reminder about Piers Ploughman...not too expensive for my Kindle and I think I will plan to sip my way through that.

• Like 4

I’ve been working my way through the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French and enjoying them. The language and crime scene descriptions are bit intense at times, but I suppose that is expected for cop drama. Just finished #4 (listened to it and the narrator was fantastic) and might need a little fluff as a breather now 😄

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 3

I finished Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need- Grant Sabatier. This book was meh. First, get rich. Then "retire", but still work. Yeah, ok, sure.

I also finished Walking the Americas- Levison Wood. I really enjoyed his descriptions of walking through Central America. I wish I could watch the documentary series he did of the same trip, but I can't figure out how to stream in it my region. (US, it aired in the UK)

• Like 3

I'm choosing one author each month so just finished up a marvelous read through Jane Austen's books (again). Those get better every time.

March is Tony Hillerman. Given that I have lived in the very locations where many of the novels take place these last 40 years, I find them super enjoyable.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

My next book club book is Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman -- I am hoping it's not too creepy!!

I thought I read that last year for one of my book groups, but I see that I read it in January. I wouldn't describe it as creepy, but it did have a real sense of impending doom. (Given that the main character is burying a body when the book begins, that isn't too surprising!) I hope you'll enjoy it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Last night I read in its entirety Fee Simple Conditional (Arcadia Chronicles Book 1) by H.C. Helfand; it was a mellow enjoyable book that I'd describe as slice of life. I learned a lot about land title searches! (While it is mellow, issues such as infidelity, depression, and death do occur.) If the book description sounds appealing to you, you might wish to know that it currently costs 99¢ for US Kindle readers.  (FIC 22, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//)

"What lasts in this world? For Abigail Fischer, nothing lasts. Everyone and everything has left her. No family, no lover, no home. Until she found the magic key that lit the spark to make her whole. In the most unlikely place, just when she least expected. A dreary land record, that kept a secret for generations. An obscure phrase in a stolen document leads her to a destination she vows she will save, no matter the cost. It is something that can never be taken away, a paradise that will last forever. So far, everything she has relied on has fallen away or deserted her. Finally, she finds something that can endure. But she can't do it alone. Can she find the missing heir to fulfill the dream of a dying man? What must she sacrifice to keep that dream alive? How can she make it last?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I just finished LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness. I have quibbles (some of which she responded to in later essays), but it is definitely worth reading. I am working my way through the corpus of her work; it's my big reading project this year. I am a little over halfway through and can say with certainty that it is time well spent. I also recently finished Cutting for Stone, which I found in a reader feeder/little free library and liked quite well -- it was a very compelling story. I also read Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents, which was insightful and helpful in various ways, so I would recommend it if you need that sort of guidance, but I hope you don't.

I am also reading some Gaskell short stories (which are VERY hit and miss), and some of Donald Prothero's nonfiction -- one on fossils. I love his short, puzzle-like essays, though I think I liked his book on rocks more than this one.

• Like 5

Last night I finished the book for my local book group. (Both groups will be meeting while my daughter is here, but I didn't want reading the books to take away from time with her.) I found The Last Story of Mina Lee by Nancy Jooyoun Kim to be a very quick read; I finished it in three sittings. The title character is an illegal immigrant from Korea to the US; the story begins with her adult daughter finding her dead. The book deals with the daughter trying to learn about her mother's death but also about her life. I enjoyed it. (FIC 22, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//)

"Margot Lee’s mother, Mina, isn’t returning her calls. It’s a mystery to twenty-six-year-old Margot, until she visits her childhood apartment in Koreatown, LA, and finds that her mother has suspiciously died. The discovery sends Margot digging through the past, unraveling the tenuous invisible strings that held together her single mother’s life as a Korean War orphan and an undocumented immigrant, only to realize how little she truly knew about her mother.

Interwoven with Margot’s present-day search is Mina’s story of her first year in Los Angeles as she navigates the promises and perils of the American myth of reinvention. While she’s barely earning a living by stocking shelves at a Korean grocery store, the last thing Mina ever expects is to fall in love. But that love story sets in motion a series of events that have consequences for years to come, leading up to the truth of what happened the night of her death.

Told through the intimate lens of a mother and daughter who have struggled all their lives to understand each other, 
The Last Story of Mina Lee is a powerful and exquisitely woven debut novel that explores identity, family, secrets, and what it truly means to belong."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished The Oceanography of the Moon ("After the untimely deaths of her aunt and mother, young Riley Mays moved from Chicago to her cousins’ Wisconsin farm. Here she found solace in caring for her extraordinary adoptive brother, exploring the surrounding wild nature, and gazing at the mystical moon—a private refuge in which she hides from her most painful memories. But ten years later, now twenty-one, Riley feels too confined by the protective walls she’s erected around herself. When a stranger enters her family’s remote world, Riley senses something he’s hiding, a desire to escape that she understands well.") -- It was enjoyable, although somewhat predictable.

I also finished The Book of Longings ("In her mesmerizing fourth work of fiction, Sue Monk Kidd takes an audacious approach to history and brings her acclaimed narrative gifts to imagine the story of a young woman named Ana. Raised in a wealthy family with ties to the ruler of Galilee, she is rebellious and ambitious, with a brilliant mind and a daring spirit. She engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes narratives about neglected and silenced women. Ana is expected to marry an older widower, a prospect that horrifies her. An encounter with eighteen-year-old Jesus changes everything.") -- I was a bit hesitant about reading this because I'm generally not fond of retellings, and was particularly leery of how this one would be handled. And although it was well told I had a little bit of an icky feeling while reading it. But the author's note at the end made me feel much better about it. Perhaps she was just spinning things well, but I got the feeling that she wrote it truly because the "what ifs" of it interested her, not just because she saw the potential to make money.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I also finished The Book of Longings ("In her mesmerizing fourth work of fiction, Sue Monk Kidd takes an audacious approach to history and brings her acclaimed narrative gifts to imagine the story of a young woman named Ana. Raised in a wealthy family with ties to the ruler of Galilee, she is rebellious and ambitious, with a brilliant mind and a daring spirit. She engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes narratives about neglected and silenced women. Ana is expected to marry an older widower, a prospect that horrifies her. An encounter with eighteen-year-old Jesus changes everything.") -- I was a bit hesitant about reading this because I'm generally not fond of retellings, and was particularly leery of how this one would be handled. And although it was well told I had a little bit of an icky feeling while reading it. But the author's note at the end made me feel much better about it. Perhaps she was just spinning things well, but I got the feeling that she wrote it truly because the "what ifs" of it interested her, not just because she saw the potential to make money.

I read this book a couple of years ago. The premise intrigued me, but I ended up finding the story just okay. My main issue was not really liking the main character, Ana. To me, she felt a little too modern. I had a hard time imagining she'd be the woman Jesus would marry. The author also said many times how much they loved each other, but I didn't think it was shown all that often. They each just seemed to be doing their own thing, on their own paths. In the end, while the idea of this story was interesting, this version from the author wasn't for me.

• Like 2

I just finished a young adult science fiction novel, Fire Season (Star Kingdom Book 2) by David Weber. This is a follow on to a book I recently read; it was enjoyable but I don't think I'll continue on with the series at this time. (FIC 23, RR 9, NF 2, NS 3//)

"Fire in the forest—and a cry for help from a trapped and desperate alien mother! Unfortunately, this is one cry no human can hear. Stephanie Harrington, precocious fourteen-year-old Provisional Forest Ranger on the planet Sphinx, knows something is wrong from the uneasy emotion that is flooding into her from her treecat friend, Climbs Quickly. But though Stephanie's alien comrade shares a tight bond with his two legs, he cannot communicate directly to her the anguished call from one of his people.

Still, their strong and direct bond of feeling may be enough. Stephanie and fellow ranger Karl Zivonik respond to Climbs Quickly's rising waves of distress. Fire season on the pioneer world of Sphinx has begun. But there are those who want to use the natural cycle of the planet for personal gain—and to get rid of the one obstacle that stands in the way of acquiring even greater land and power on Sphinx: the native treecats.

Now it's up to Stephanie and Climbs Quickly, along with their friends, family, and allies to prevent disaster and injustice from befalling a treecat clan. But in the process Stephanie must be certain to preserve the greatest secret of all. It is the knowledge that the treecats of Sphinx are not merely pets or servants, but are highly intelligent in their own right—that they are a species fully deserving of rights, respect, and freedom. And keeping the secret that will allow the treecats time to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with humankind.

It all begins with the friendship of a girl and her treecat."

Regards,

Kareni 

• Like 2

I read a lot as we finished up the Mayo Clinic program - there was a lot of waiting around there. I am home and starting back to work today, so my reading will slow way down.

Just started a book that DH has given to me to read in the past and I never read more than 2 chapters. I'm enjoying it this time though - The Ark by Boyd Morrison. Also started Bloodless as an audio book on the drive home.

No real plan with what I was reading at Mayo - I just browsed the library and picked things at random.

End of February:

1. The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore

2. The Paris Librarian by Mark Pryor

3. Where’d You Go, Bernadette? By Maria Semple

March:

1. Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting by Clare Pooley

2. One Night on the Island by Josie Silver

3. Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson

4. On the Bright Side: The New Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 85 years old by Hendrik Groen

• Like 3

Yesterday, DDs and I finished reading The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani. This book takes place in 1947 during the partition of India. The story is told as a diary written by Nisha to her deceased mother. Nisha's mother was Muslim and her father Hindu, which makes things a bit complicated for them during this time. In the beginning of the book, the family lives in what eventually becomes Pakistan, but because they are Hindu (or are at least more Hindu than Muslim), they must make the difficult journey to the new India. We enjoyed this heartwarming book and got to learn about a time in history we've never read about. (4 stars) 

Funny enough a few months back, for one of my Book of the Month picks, I chose the book Independence by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, which is also set in India 1947. I may pick it up soon since I'll have the information from The Night Diary fresh in my mind! 

• Like 4

On 3/4/2023 at 4:10 PM, Amethyst said:

I’m reading Lessons In Chemistry and listening to Boston Girl. Both are pretty light reads right now but both also have themes of early feminism which I appreciate. 

I read Lessons in Chemistry last year and enjoyed it much more than I had thought I would. It develops a slightly off-kilter tone that I appreciated.

• Like 3

I finished listening to Dial A for Auntiesby Jessie Sutano, yesterday. My elder kiddo recommended it. I enjoyed it, and I'm counting it as fulfilling the "horror or mystery novel written by a woman or nonbinary author" on my StoryGraph genre challenge, but I anticipated almost every plot twist and always felt like it was working a little too hard to be charming. It looks like it might be intended as the first of a series, but I doubt I will search out more.

I also recently finished:

• Over Sea, Under Stone (Dark Is Rising #1), by Susan Cooper, fulfilling my "children's book you never read as a kid" category. I set myself the challenge of selecting a book I knew of that had been published in time for me to have read it at the right age but that I had somehow missed. This one was . . . fine. There were some casual references to cultural differences that wouldn't fly today, but mostly I just felt like it was too long for too little plot. 
  • Rosalind Palmer Takes the Cake, by Alexis Hall. This one was another kiddo-recommended selection. It was very light and had some of those romantic comedy tropes that irk me if I think about it too hard, but the dialogue was quick and witty and the characters were fun. I'm unlikely to work too hard to seek out the next book in the series, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit. 

That brings me to eight books finished this year. I'm a little behind pace, but life has thrown me some curve balls over the last three weeks or so that have rather cut into my reading/listening time. So, we'll see how it goes from here. I'm reminding myself that the point is to read, not to stress out about logging a specific number of titles. 

Libby just served me two audiobooks I've had on hold for a while, so next up will be one of these two:

• Reluctant Immortals, by Gwendolyn Kiste. I originally selected this one to meet the horror/mystery challenge prompt but then decided it just sounds like fun.
  • Great Circle, by Maggie Shipstead. In addition to the StoryGraph challenge, I'm trying to read at least one book each month from the recent Royal Reading Room selections. 
Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

I finished two books today. 

The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant on audio. Read by Linda Lavin. I’m glad I listened to it rather than read it. Lavin did a very good job with the inflections. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed it much if I read it. Just a woman’s life story. Not particularly great writing, nothing particularly interesting happens. Some historical mentions, but it seems like there should have been more than there was. 

Also finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. I had heard a lot of chatter about this book. I received it as a bday present. I enjoyed it more than Boston Girl, but I do have some complaints about it. Light reading. 

Up next…The Count of Monte Cristo. And for my listening pleasure…I just discovered Libby has People’s History of United States. We’ve had the book for years, but I never got far. Maybe I’ll have better luck on audio. 

• Like 3

Yesterday I finished Misfit Mage: Fledgling God: book 1 by Michael Taggart which was an enjoyable urban fantasy. The main character has a good sense of humor and a big love of kittens.  I will caution though that the book begins with a violent scene that almost had me putting it aside. (FIC 24, RR 9, NF 2, NS 3//)

"Jason thought that it was the end of his life after being hunted and attacked by a band of ruthless thugs. Instead, he tapped into the source of creation and emerged from his Death Experience with magical powers.

As a new mage, Jason finds himself part of a wonderful - and dangerous - new supernatural world. He also finds himself in the middle of a mage war as he becomes part of an unlikely group of protectors who are defending a mystical mansion from those who want to destroy it.

Jason has little power, and the band of misfits are on the losing side, until he discovers he can see and manipulate magic at a remarkable level. What he detects begins his journey into discovering how his new powers really work, and just might be the edge that they need to survive.

If you like witty dialogue, diverse characters, magic that feels real, and intense action, then you will love this LGBTQ urban fantasy. Buy Misfit Mage today and step into a new enchanted world."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Just finished the award winning YA novel All My Rage.   It's the first book I've read with trigger warnings listed on the flyleaf.  It turns out the warnings were justified, but despite the difficult subject matter and the huge volume of trauma the main characters suffer, it is a beautiful and tightly written story. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Just finished the award winning YA novel All My Rage.   It's the first book I've read with trigger warnings listed on the flyleaf.  It turns out the warnings were justified, but despite the difficult subject matter and the huge volume of trauma the main characters suffer, it is a beautiful and tightly written story. 

I have this on my shelf of library books and am looking forward to reading it.  Going to move it to the top of the pile - thanks!  

• Like 4

Rereading one of Anne McCaffrey’s Pern books. Maybe I will reread them all? 

Have several things on my nightstand that I am struggling to keep reading. Not motivated for challenging reading right now. Just light, easy stuff. I usually cruise through lots on my challenge list early in the year, but not this year.

Maybe when it stays warm and I get more sun, I’ll have more energy for reading?

• Like 4

I just finished an enjoyable post-world war II mystery/romance, Hither Page (Page & Sommers Book 1) by Cat Sebastian. I look forward to reading on in the series. ***  (FIC 25, RR 9, NF 2, NS 3//)

"A jaded spy and a shell shocked country doctor team up to solve a murder in postwar England.

James Sommers returned from the war with his nerves in tatters. All he wants is to retreat to the quiet village of his childhood and enjoy the boring, predictable life of a country doctor. The last thing in the world he needs is a handsome stranger who seems to be mixed up with the first violent death the village has seen in years. It certainly doesn't help that this stranger is the first person James has wanted to touch since before the war.

The war may be over for the rest of the world, but Leo Page is still busy doing the dirty work for one of the more disreputable branches of the intelligence service. When his boss orders him to cover up a murder, Leo isn't expecting to be sent to a sleepy village. After a week of helping old ladies wind balls of yarn and flirting with a handsome doctor, Leo is in danger of forgetting what he really is and why he's there. He's in danger of feeling things he has no business feeling. A person who burns his identity after every job can't set down roots.

As he starts to untangle the mess of secrets and lies that lurk behind the lace curtains of even the most peaceful-seeming of villages, Leo realizes that the truths he's about to uncover will affect his future and those of the man he's growing to care about. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I recently finished two books…

• The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah - This had an Aladdin-ish theme to it, except the roles were reversed…Loulie al-Nazari is the thief who steals and sells magical items and she runs into Prince Mazen who is the son of the powerful sultan. Loulie catches the attention of the sultan and she’s forced to go on an excursion to find a missing relic in the middle of the desert. I’ll let you guess what the item is. 😉 I enjoyed the magic in the book and some of the characters, but it was too long. There were some things that happened that didn’t seem necessary. The last 50-75 pages were the best, but of course this ended on a cliffhanger and it’s only book 1 of a series. 😒 I’m not sure if I’ll continue, but the next book isn’t even out yet, so I have time to decide. (3.5 stars)
  • Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn - This was a fun contemporary romance. Small town girl Georgie moved away to LA, but has lost her job and is headed back home. She’s not sure what she’s going to do with her life, but in the meantime her best friend is about to have a baby and she’s going home to help her out. She ends up meeting the town troublemaker, who just so happens to be her high school crush’s older brother. There was a weird “friend fic” diary story line, but all-in-all this was a cute story. (4 stars) 
  • Like 2

I have finished two spacefaring science fiction novels recently; one was a reread while the other was new to me. I enjoyed them both (and the second actually had me cry at one point).  (FIC 26, RR 10, NF 2, NS 3//)

Midshipman's Hope (The Seafort Saga Book 1) and Challenger's Hope (The Seafort Saga Book 2) both by David Feintuch.

Here is the description for the first book ~

"In the year 2194, seventeen-year-old Nicholas Seafort is assigned to the Hibernia as a lowly midshipman. Destination: the thriving colony of Hope Nation. But when a rescue attempt goes devastatingly wrong, Seafort is thrust into a leadership role he never anticipated. The other officers resent him, but Seafort must handle more dangerous problems, from a corrupted navigation computer to a deadly epidemic. Even Hope Nation has a nasty surprise in store. Seafort might be the crew’s only hope . . . This page-turning science fiction in the vein of Robert Heinlein and Orson Scott Card—with a dash of Horatio Hornblower—marks the captivating debut adventure in Feintuch’s hugely popular Seafort Saga."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I haven’t had a lot of time to read lately. I am still making my way through The Pilgrim’s Progress with a study guide. I’m still also thoroughly enjoying A Gentleman in Moscow. Towles’ use of language is just intoxicating. I got another Cork O’Conner book (by William Kent Krueger) in the mail and will take that on my trip.

• Like 5

I just finished Free Lunch which is excellent.  It would be good for middle schoolers on up.

true story of a young man raised in poverty and his experiences at school including being on the free lunch program.

i found it heartbreaking in a way as I know this story is similar to that of my foster kiddos, students, etc.   not all of the kids have a great stable home.    I also wish policy makers would read this as simple policy changes could make things better for so many kids and families.

7459BE9F-1D52-4CC3-8093-2902632A1E7F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Does anyone read manga? I’ve been wanting to try it out, but I’ve got no clue where to start. 

I don't read it myself, but there is a section in my public library with it, in the YA area. Maybe yours has a section you could browse?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, marbel said:

I don't read it myself, but there is a section in my public library with it, in the YA area. Maybe yours has a section you could browse?

I have no clue, but I may have to go check it out. It’s a smaller library so if they do, I bet it’s small. Never hurts to look! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Does anyone read manga? I’ve been wanting to try it out, but I’ve got no clue where to start. 

Well, I do know that my (larger county) library system has *tons* of graphic novels, including Japanese-style. I really wish there was a way to filter them OUT when I'm reviewing the new books on overdrive. Graphic novels on a tablet are pretty frustrating, at least for me.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

I was curious so I tried looking it up in the Libby app - of course I don't know if you use that/have access to it. I couldn't find any specific search for it.

If you have Hoopla, you can search on manga and you'll get a list of titles. 

8 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Well, I do know that my (larger county) library system has *tons* of graphic novels, including Japanese-style. I really wish there was a way to filter them OUT when I'm reviewing the new books on overdrive. Graphic novels on a tablet are pretty frustrating, at least for me.

I do use Libby…I found an article online that had some suggestions for which manga series to read for beginners, so I looked a few of those up. I was only able to find one, and out of the three I was looking for it was the least appealing. ☹️ Oh well…maybe I should still give it a try to even see if I like it. 

I have never tried Hoopla…do you have to pay for that?

I haven’t tried any graphic novels on my iPad…just books and I didn’t care for it. I was thinking the manga might be better (than books). I’ll have to see. I have a kindle, but I definitely think that would be too small. Lots of trial and error! 😂 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I do use Libby…I found an article online that had some suggestions for which manga series to read for beginners, so I looked a few of those up. I was only able to find one, and out of the three I was looking for it was the least appealing. ☹️ Oh well…maybe I should still give it a try to even see if I like it. 

I have never tried Hoopla…do you have to pay for that?

I haven’t tried any graphic novels on my iPad…just books and I didn’t care for it. I was thinking the manga might be better (than books). I’ll have to see. I have a kindle, but I definitely think that would be too small. Lots of trial and error! 😂 

I get Hoopla through the public library. It is free but the library has to offer it/be a partner/I don't know the terminology. I mostly use it for audiobooks but have also read books on it. I didn't think about reading manga electronically and that it might be challenging! Here it is, anyway, in case you want to check it out. 

https://www.hoopladigital.com/

• Like 3

I just picked up The Count of Monte Cristo from the library today. Color me intimidated. I’ve read plenty of 1,000+ page books before, but this one doesn’t seem user friendly. It’s paperback and small (top to bottom), so it’s unwieldy. With tiny print. Tell me it’s worth it. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I just picked up The Count of Monte Cristo from the library today. Color me intimidated. I’ve read plenty of 1,000+ page books before, but this one doesn’t seem user friendly. It’s paperback and small (top to bottom), so it’s unwieldy. With tiny print. Tell me it’s worth it. 

I ended up getting it for Kindle. I think I had to borrow it 3 times because I couldn't finish it in time!  Much more user-friendly! I thought it was a great story.

• Like 4

I continued with the series I mentioned above and read Prisoner's Hope (The Seafort Saga Book 3) by David Feintuch. I enjoyed it, but I think I will not continue on currently as the books are long and other books call! (FIC 27, RR 10, NF 2, NS 3//)

Some thoughts about the series: it's described as Hornblower in space, and I can see why. There is a lot of death and violence (hazing and caning, for example). It's male centric, and the few women who do feature fare poorly. The lead character feels strongly about honor, and there is a lot of self-loathing when he cannot uphold his ideals.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I have been following along to these thread this year and, since I’m reading a bit more these days, I’d like to start posting. 

I just read All the Broken Places by John Boyne, which is kind of a sequel to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I really enjoyed reading All the Broken Pieces, although it was a very difficult read at times. After reading it, I learned that the book is quite controversial, as some people feel that in this book and in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Boyne is trying to to make the reader feel sympathy for Nazis. I certainly didn’t see either book that way, but that sentiment gave me something to think about after my reading. 

I also read The Face on the Milk Carton by Janie Johnson, which I believe was mentioned on a different thread on TWTM forum. This is a YA book that I could see myself reading as an 11 or 12 year old, and I imagine I probably would have enjoyed reading it back then. Whole 47 year old me found it to be very simple, 11 year old me would have been fascinated. It was a fun read. 

• Like 5