Menu

February 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

On 2/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, KrissiK said:

i really hated that book. i thought it was cliche and poorly written. However, I have seen it on a lot of book lists, and I know people have really liked that book. and I really really didn’t like it. At all. But that’s not my point. I often wonder what it is about some books that some people love it and others don’t. I read a book that won the Pulitzer Prize and was like, “meh”. It was ok. But there had to be something about that book that a lot of people loved or found worthy enough to give it that prize. I wonder why I didn’t agree.  And it’s strange about some authors, too. Kristin Hannah….I devoured The Nightingale and ….what’s that other one, about Alaska. But The Four Winds and some of her other ones…. I hated. i don’t read her anymore. And Anthony Doerr was recently mentioned. I adored “All the Light You Cannot See.” But “Cloud Cuckoo-land”…. I just couldn’t stomach it. It made no sense at all and I hated it. And then there are some authors, for me it’s John Grisham, who i like pretty consistently. Some of his books I like better than others, none I really devour, but I definitely enjoy. I wonder why that is.

I keep adding to this post as I think about it, because for me, it kind of goes to the heart of “What makes a book good?”  Is it strictly personal taste? Is there something wrong with me because I didn’t like a book a lot of other people did? And why didn’t I like those books? There are some people i know that I absolutely don’t take book recs from. And some I know I will love whatever they recommend. 

I just finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (the Alaska one). I would have to give it 3.5 stars. I loved the descriptions of Alaska and even the never-ending chore list. Great writing there. The beginning of the story was wonderful if a little heavy on the foreshadowing. The love story was meh - overly saccharine, and the violence made my stomach kind of turn in the beginning. The ending felt really, really rushed. I think (?) it's the first book by Hannah that I've read though, so I can't compare it to others by her. I picked up the book because it was on the table with the "Librarians' picks for 2022", so one of the librarians loved it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Hard Times (Charles Dickens), going between the book and the audio (narrated by Simon Prebble). Very good, a Dickens I was not at all familiar with; honestly I picked it because it is short and I needed something I could finish! 

Currently reading The Franchise Affair, to be followed by Miss Pym Disposes, both by Josephine Tey.

On Chapter 40 of Moby Dick (out of 135, so a long way to go), savoring it. 

Re: books everyone else seems to love - I find this happens a lot. For example, I hated The Nightingale (Kristin Hannah) and did not finish. To me it was too sweetly sentimental, and seemed so obvious where it was all going. Maybe I was burned out on too much WWII fiction, I don't know. The Huntress was another that seemed to be nearly universally loved, but I disliked that one intensely too, though I finished it.  Hamnet (Maggie O'Farrell), tried twice! 

I do have some Goodreads friends who have such different tastes from mine, I know if they give a book 5 stars, I will hate it. 🤷‍♀️ I just put it down to taste and temperament. And I still love those friends. 💗

• Like 8

I finished Amari and the Night Brothers which was a wonderful middle grade story in which I kept forgetting Amari was only 12 years old. She was mature for her age, continually bullied and not believed because of the type of magic she had. But she was bound and determined to find her brother who’d disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

Also finished Writers and their Notebooks which has been sitting in my shelves for quite a while and would dip in from time to time. Finally read it from cover to cover, highlighting and annotating. Will be copying highlighted portions in my notebook at some point. So many writers, so many different ways to use a journal. I have discovered that one journal, a catchall for all my thoughts, ramblings, and stories works for me. Many thanks to Diana Raab and the many others for sharing their thoughts. Will be working on all the questions at the end of the book.

Plus   J.D. Robb’s Encore In Death, # 56 in the In death series. Don’t know why this series is comfort food for my soul but it is. Have read most of the series several times. Guess I enjoy diving into the lives of all the characters as well as the mystery of murder. Eve’s mind is fascinating. Her love for Roark is ever growing and it was interesting seeing how this particular murder made her appreciate their relationship even more.

Diving into James Rollins The Cradle of Ice, the 2nd book in his Moon Fall series.

“To stop the coming apocalypse, a fellowship was formed.

A soldier, a thief, a lost prince, and a young girl bonded by fate and looming disaster.

Each step along this path has changed the party, forging deep alliances and greater
enmities. All the while, hostile forces have hunted them, fearing what they might
unleash. Armies wage war around them.”

For each step has come with a cost—in blood, in loss, in heartbreak.

Now, they must split, traveling into a vast region of ice and to a sprawling capital of the world they’ve only known in stories. Time is running out and only the truth will save us all."

• Like 3

6 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I just finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (the Alaska one). I would have to give it 3.5 stars. I loved the descriptions of Alaska and even the never-ending chore list. Great writing there. The beginning of the story was wonderful if a little heavy on the foreshadowing. The love story was meh - overly saccharine, and the violence made my stomach kind of turn in the beginning. The ending felt really, really rushed. I think (?) it's the first book by Hannah that I've read though, so I can't compare it to others by her. I picked up the book because it was on the table with the "Librarians' picks for 2022", so one of the librarians loved it. 

the Nightingale was my favorite by her. I really had a hard time putting that book down.

• Like 4

I finished several books yesterday and today  (FIC 13, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//) ~

Aetherbound by E.K. Johnston was an enjoyable young adult science fiction novel that did some interesting things.

"Set on a family-run interstellar freighter called the Harland and a mysterious remote space station, E. K. Johnston's latest is story of survival and self-determination.

Pendt Harland's family sees her as a waste of food on their long-haul space cruiser when her genes reveal an undesirable mutation. But if she plays her cards right she might have a chance to do much more than survive. During a space-station layover, Pendt escapes and forms a lucky bond with the Brannick twins, the teenage heirs of the powerful family that owns the station. Against all odds, the trio hatches a long-shot scheme to take over the station and thwart the destinies they never wished for."

Agnes Moor's Wild Knight by Alyssa Cole was a quick read, a historical romance novella featuring a black woman in medieval Scotland in the court of King James IV. (Some adult content)

"Agnes Moor knows her place in the court of King James IV—as one of the “exotics” in his employ. When the king makes a kiss from Agnes the prize of a tourney, a mysterious knight plows through his opponents to claim it. But it isn’t chance. The Wild Knight has come for her, and her champion is after after the most elusive prize of all: her heart."

And DOODLE ART HANDBOOK: The Non-Artist’s Guide in Creative Drawing by Lana Karr, a book about doodling which I enjoyed reading.

"The Doodle Art Handbook is a guide to inspire you and bring out your inner Doodle creativity. With the help of step by step lessons you will be able to create Doodle masterpieces with no experience necessary. The Handbook contains:
25 original tangle patterns with many variations divided into 5 sections from beginner to expert level.
Step by step lessons on how to draw, while having little or no experience.
Guidance on how to 
draw animals, flowers, trees and other objects in doodle art style.
Many original art works from Doodle Art collaborators.
Detailed instructions and advanced techniques for using 
shading, depth and drawing 3d objects.
Doodle art is an excellent source of stress relief and meditation, and can be used by artists of all levels."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict which my local book group will be discussing later this week. This is a fictionalized account of the life of Belle da Costa Greene who served as the personal librarian of J. P. Morgan. Part of what makes her life so interesting is that she lived most of her life passing as white.  (FIC 14, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//)

"In her twenties, Belle da Costa Greene is hired by J. P. Morgan to curate a collection of rare manuscripts, books, and artwork for his newly built Pierpont Morgan Library. Belle becomes a fixture in New York City society and one of the most powerful people in the art and book world, known for her impeccable taste and shrewd negotiating for critical works as she helps create a world-class collection.

But Belle has a secret, one she must protect at all costs. She was born not Belle da Costa Greene but Belle Marion Greener. She is the daughter of Richard Greener, the first Black graduate of Harvard and a well-known advocate for equality. Belle’s complexion isn’t dark because of her alleged Portuguese heritage that lets her pass as white—her complexion is dark because she is African American.

The Personal Librarian tells the story of an extraordinary woman, famous for her intellect, style, and wit, and shares the lengths she must go to—for the protection of her family and her legacy—to preserve her carefully crafted white identity in the racist world in which she lives."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished four more books.

The Storied Life of AJ Fikery by Gabrielle Zevin tells of a prickly bookseller in an island community, who is grieving the death of his young wife and generally unhappy with life. The novel shows his life changing in the years after meeting Amelia, a publisher's sales rep, and Maya, a toddler abandoned in his store. I didn't feel very connected to AJ as a character and wish more time had been spent on some of the other characters, but I do always enjoy a bookstore setting.

A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham, on audio. This debut thriller drew me in from the beginning, though I felt that it fell apart a bit in the last 20%. I think the author shows a lot of potential, and I'm looking forward to her next book. Psychologist Chloe was twelve when her father was arrested as a serial killer. When young girls begin disappearing, the resemblance to her father's cases is uncanny. Could it be a copycat?

The Stories We Tell by Joanna Gaines, on audio. Gaines encourages the reader/listener to explore past experiences through memories and journaling, in order to create a more fulfilling future. For fans of Fixer Upper and those prone to introspection.

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, on audio. I really enjoyed this first book in the Folk of the Air fantasy series. When she was seven, human Jude and her two sisters were taken to live in the High Courts of Faerie. Now 17, Jude is eager to prove her standing among the fairy folk by developing her skills as a warrior and spy, and she gets pulled into dangerous court intrigue. The book does end with a resolution but also sets the stage for the sequel. Loved it!

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 4

On 2/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, Storygirl said:

The Storied Life of AJ Fikery by Gabrielle Zevin tells of a prickly bookseller in an island community, who is grieving the death of his young wife and generally unhappy with life. The novel shows his life changing in the years after meeting Amelia, a publisher's sales rep, and Maya, a toddler abandoned in his store. I didn't feel very connected to AJ as a character and wish more time had been spent on some of the other characters, but I do always enjoy a bookstore setting.

I really did not care for the ending of this book. 😖 It ruined the whole thing for me. 

• Like 3

I finished my reread of Pride & Prejudice. I'm waiting for DD to finish so we can discuss and watch the movie! I've seen the movie about two hundred times, but she's never seen it before. I'm so excited!! I'm not sure she'll actually like it because she's not really a fan of romance, but that's okay. 🤣

• Like 6

Last month I read the first in a science fiction series by a favorite author; I just finished the follow on book which I also enjoyed. I would happily read more. (FIC 15, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//) 

"Regi and Dante landed on one of the Empire's border planets while the exalteds try to understand the involvement of the gods. Regi's people are xenophobic, so he's determined that his crew will make a good impression. The alternative is unthinkable, especially with so many Kowri suggesting that the gods would rather see the outsiders dead rather than show them respect. 

Dante wants to avoid the brewing political fight. He has never enjoyed politics—not on Earth, much less around aliens he barely understands. Give him a stable and alien horses to learn to ride instead. But when a certain goddess of poisons is involved, he will be dragged into the conflict whether he wants to be there or not. With Dante's life in danger, Regi cannot remain neutral. He won't take a stand on the conflicts between the Coalition and the Empire, but for Dante he will challenge the universe itself."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Just finished two really good books:

Funny Farm: My Unexpected Life with 600 Rescue Animals byLaurie Zaleski

Madness: A Bipolar Life by Marya Hornbacher

Currently reading: A Heart That Works by Rob Delaney (this is heartbreaking)

Didn't finish because I didn't like it: This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay

• Like 4

My reading life goes like this:

Book club book, five million cozy mysteries, book club book, more cozy mysteries etc etc 

Just finished a mystery and now I'm starting Bittersweet by Susan Cain for book club in March.

(When book club isn't in session then I have a personal challenge book in between mysteries)

• Like 5

I'm spending a lot of time waiting for DD at the hospital, so I'm chewing through books. It's either that or be social with the other parents LOL. DD and I went to the local library and got a 3 week card; I love that they do that here in Rochester. So I have a stack of books now.

Finished Oath of Loyalty - good, a little formulaic which makes sense seeing as it's the 21st in the series (I don't think I've read any of the others).

Finished Killers of a Certain Age - super fun.

Finished The Midnight Library. This is actually next month's book club book, but I won't make it to book club, so I went ahead and read it. Interesting, I liked it a lot. I'm very curious how book club will go with it though.

Started The Take - fast paced action book. I actually picked up a few action/adventure books since they tend to be easier to follow when your head is going in 5 different directions.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I'm spending a lot of time waiting for DD at the hospital, so I'm chewing through books.

Sending good wishes for your daughter and you.

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

My reading life goes like this: ...

Sounds good to me!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just finished listening to How to Keep House While Drowning, which I mentioned upthread. I thought it was good and I think it would be a good wedding shower gift for new brides, because many in my circles may come from family traditions of the responsibilities of home and child care tasks resting solely on the female. I really liked her focus on the equal division of rest versus the equal division of labor. I’m going to get a copy for each of my dds. 

• Like 6

Oh, before the day ends I will start in on Where’d You Go Bernadette.

I’ve been reading at a slow pace so far this year; the days have been full and honestly I spent the last week nursing a Doerr book hangover. The Shell Collectors is waiting for me at the library. It’s a short story collection so I’ll try to pace myself. 😂

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 7

I finished and loved Better Than the Movies by Lynn Palmer, on audio, which is a YA teen romance. Nothing more than kissing in here, which is the way I like it; as the mom of teens, reading about teens acting hot and heavy is unappealing to me. When 12th-grade Liz's childhood crush returns to town, she enlists the help of her annoying neighbor, Wes, to try to get Michael to see her in a new, romantic light. Liz loves music, romantic comedies, and retro clothes and struggles with missing her deceased mom during her senior year. But most of all, she is a delightful heroine, and co-conspirator Wes is adorable (I'm firmly on Team Wes!). Really fun, but also full of heart.

I also finished the literary novel The Book of Goose by Yiyun Li. When 27 year old Agnes learns of the death of her best friend from childhood, Fabienne, she recalls their experience as young teens in rural France in the 50's, when the two of them wrote a book together. What happened next linked them forever but also changed their friendship forever. A beautifully told, unique friendship story. I thought that the audio narrator's voice sounded too mature for a 20 something character, but otherwise enjoyed the narration, done with a French accent.

• Like 3

I did not finish The Bandit Queen by Parini Shroff, which is getting a ton of attention. Set in India, the novel features a main character who is thought (erroneously) to have killed her husband, and who is recruited by other abused women in her local village to help them permanently solve their husband problems. The novel had a fun voice, but I couldn't approve of the murderous premise, even though I suspected that the plot would unfold in ways more comic than tragic. Gave it a try, but it wasn't for me.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I finished and loved Better Than the Movies by Lynn Palmer, on audio, which is a YA teen romance. Nothing more than kissing in here, which is the way I like it; as the mom of teens, reading about teens acting hot and heavy is unappealing to me. When 12th-grade Liz's childhood crush returns to town, she enlists the help of her annoying neighbor, Wes, to try to get Michael to see her in a new, romantic light. Liz loves music, romantic comedies, and retro clothes and struggles with missing her deceased mom during her senior year. But most of all, she is a delightful heroine, and co-conspirator Wes is adorable (I'm firmly on Team Wes!). Really fun, but also full of heart.

I puffy heart ❤️ love this book! Definitely Team Wes! As a big fan of rom-coms, I also loved all of the references to them throughout the book. ☺️

• Like 3

@Storygirl @Vintage81Better Than the Movies sounds like something my daughters and I would enjoy, thanks for the recommendation! I just put in a library request for it. 

Not only did I start, but I finished Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. It was so good! I did not realize it was an epistolary sort of novel (a great portion of the text made up of correspondence and other sorts of communication). I enjoy this story style so it was okay with me, wanted to mention it because I know some don’t care for it. Anyway, I remember there was a movie starting Cate Blanchett that I’m going to have to find and watch. Very clever story, I could almost believe the main characters are real people. Exaggerated a bit, but I found myself wanting to google a bit to see if Bernadette was based on an actual person. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 5

On 2/15/2023 at 4:13 PM, historically accurate said:

Finished The Midnight Library. This is actually next month's book club book, but I won't make it to book club, so I went ahead and read it. Interesting, I liked it a lot. I'm very curious how book club will go with it though.

I read that book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it.

• Like 4

I guess I am on a biography kick. I finished “Becoming Elisabeth Elliot” by Ellen Vaughn. the first volume. Good book. i have to say i never liked the woman. i always thought her as cold, demanding and too perfect. This book was an authorized biography, and I really have a different opinion of her now. While i don’t think i would ever be friends with her, I am understanding that she is just a very complex person and i have a new appreciation for her.

I am also reading the autobiography of a man (now passed away) who was a big name in my denomination. It is very interesting. I’m learning a lot of history, which is fascinating, and also just…stuff about the denomination (Mennonite Brethren). He seems very even handed, neither gushing, nor bashing, but very objective about the strengths and problems the mid-twentieth century MB’s had. I am enjoying this book.

• Like 5

I finished my second cozy mystery, The Fatal Yarn, from my library prize box. It was a book by the same author as the first one and I am underwhelmed. The book was so similar to the first it was disappointing. There are paragraphs in both books describing a grilled cheese sandwich that were almost word for word. There was a bit of tension in the second book as the protagonist was almost hit by a cast iron pan but the murderer (who had killed two people with cyanide laced jam) had a change of heart. I guess passive murder is easier than active murder.

The author spends so much time describing outfits, hair, and food rituals there is no character growth or development. The greatest source of tension/character development is between the main character and her best friend and revolves around an unrequited crush from the next door neighbor but even then (after reading two books) I am not interested or intrigued enough to know how it plays out. 

I tried to begin a third cozy but didn't make it more than a few pages. It's the second book in a series and there were so many references to the first book, I was lost. I'm going to set it aside for now and pick up my Terry Pratchett novel, Lords and Ladies.

• Like 4

I’m currently in the midst of:

James Rollin’s Fantasy novel The Cradle of Ice in which the characters have crash landed in a place where it’s virtually impossible to escape from. What will happen next?

Vicki Myron’s memoir about Dewey: The Library Cat which is so much more than just about the cat, but the town of Spencer and the people who live there.

Devon Monk’s book of 22 fantasy/sci fi short stories A Cup of Normal which are far from normal and very entertaining.

Haruki Murakami’s Novelist as a Vocation and the man seriously doesn’t think he is a good writer, but shares his stories, his process, and so much more.

• Like 5

On 2/6/2023 at 2:24 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I have just finished the 8th book in the wheel of time series.  The books keep adding in more and more characters, with very similar names. I am having trouble keeping them all straight. 

On 2/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Seriously -- someone should publish a character chart. Not just names, but group of origin and associations! It all got too much for me by the end; I finished the series with my teeth gritted.

Does this helpB03dmqEzAbK--ivUKv0j2x-leanrUDmleQeww0k-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today I enjoyed reading the young adult science fiction novel A Beautiful Friendship (Honor Harrington - Star Kingdom Book 1) by David Weber. This novel tells the story of humans' first interactions with treecats; it's a standalone story in the Honor Harrington world and features her ancestor. (FIC 16, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//) 

"Stephanie Harrington absolutely hates being confined inside her family's compound on the pioneer planet of Sphinx, a frontier wilderness world populated by dangerous native animals that could easily tear a human to bits and pieces. Yet Stephanie is a young woman determined to make discoveries—and the biggest discovery of all awaits her: an intelligent alien species.

Treecats are creatures that resemble a cross between a bobcat and a lemur (but with six legs and much more deadly claws). Not only are they fully sentient, they are also telepathic, and able to bond with certain gifted humans such as the genetically-enhanced Stephanie. But Stephanie's find, and her first-of-its-kind bond with a treecat, brings on a new torrent of danger. An assortment of highly placed enemies with galactic-sized wealth at stake is determined to make sure that the planet of Sphinx remains entirely in human hands—even if this means the extermination of another thinking species."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I also read Our Missing Hearts this month. I think it would be a good read for a book group, and I liked it.  The impact of telling stories was the most interesting part to me, especially since I’ve done a lot of work with oral histories and I believe that letting people tell their stories is healing and world-changing.

And I listened to Vicious by VE Schwab.  Interesting premise, good characters, but it was too violent for my taste.  I’ve listened to a lot of books by VE Schwab over the last year and I like her ideas for stories.  

Next I’ll listen to An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I also read Our Missing Hearts this month. I think it would be a good read for a book group, and I liked it

This is our book club book for March. I won't make the meeting because I'll be on vacation but I was wondering if I'd like to read it anyway. I'm thinking of making it one of my airplane reads. 

• Like 5

I recently finished two books...

• For this month's book club we read The Songbook of Benny Lament by Amy Harmon. This is my third book by this author (I've also read What the Wind Knows and Where the Lost Wander). Her books are all very different, tackling very different themes. This one is set in the 1960's and we follow Benny Lament who is a musician. His father is also part of the mob in New York, and Benny has tried to distance himself from that life as much as possible. One night his father brings him to a club to see Esther Mine sing and after they meet, she wants him to be her manager. The two of them definitely have chemistry, which is a problem because during the '60s Benny being white and Esther being black was controversial. I enjoyed the story and the topics covered, but at some point it just felt too long. (4 stars)

• For school, I read aloud to DDs The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. While the book never comes out and says it, I believe the protagonist of this story is autistic, or is meant to be portrayed as on the spectrum. After I started reading this book, I read a few reviews and some people weren't happy with the portrayal. I talked about it a little with DDs...they wanted to continue, which in the end led to some good discussions. This book was definitely not what I thought it was going to be. It was a lot heavier...there's quite a bit of abuse throughout the story, but again, this led to some good discussion. I definitely wouldn't recommend this as a typical read aloud because of the heavy topics and bad language, but it worked out okay for us. In the end, we enjoyed the story and the discussions. (4 stars)
  • Like 4

Second Annual Self-Published Science Fiction Competition Semi-finalist Kindle Sale!

"Through February 24th, pick up 20 semi-finalist novels from the second annual SELF-PUBLISHED SCIENCE FICTION COMPETITION for 99 cents or less!"

escapistbookcompany.com/2023/02/20/second-annual-self-published-science-fiction-competition-semi-finalist-kindle-sale/

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

Finished The Take - fun heist book. Not the best of the genre, but pretty good overall.

Finished Rewire Your Anxious Brain on audio - similar to what I am learning in parent group here at Mayo (neuroplasticity and retraining your nervous system), so fit in to the current theme. Overall, very few new things learned, but good reminders

Finished The Kindred Spirits Supper Club - cute little romance.

Started Scarecrow - action/adventure genre by my personal favorite a/a author, Matthew Reilly.

• Like 4

I'm on the last ten pages of The Martian Chronicles. As part of the library reading challenge I'm participating in, I needed to read a librarian recommended book and this is the one I chose and probably never would have read this book otherwise. Boy, does that man have a way with words. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the sentences just for the art of it and not the story.

I also read Half of a Yellow Sun for the challenge. Not the writing of Ray Bradbury but still a good and thoughtful book. I wanted more when it was over.

• Like 4

Last night I finished Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting by Clare Pooley. I think @Storygirl previously read this book and it sounded like something I'd like, so I put a hold on it at the library. I did really like it!! I enjoyed all of the eclectic characters in the book, especially Iona and her dog Lulu. I also liked the whole setting of them getting to know each other during their train rides. I was able to guess the big plot twist from the get-go, but it didn't really matter, because this was still a fun book. (4.5 stars)

• Like 2

I’m back to trying and read Life and Fate, will fail again. It’s a hard book to read for various reasons.

we listened to Frankenstein on audio while in the French alps, which was appropriate and most excellent narration. 
dd and I are reading The Book Thief (dislike) and a book about a woman code breaker (ok). 

• Like 5

I quite enjoyed the contemporary romance Ship Wrecked: A Novel by Olivia Dade; the author's wit appeals to me and had me laughing aloud several times. The book is about two actors and spans some six years. (Adult content) (FIC 17, RR 7, NF 2, NS 3//) 

"Maria’s one-night-stand—the thick-thighed, sexy Viking of a man she left without a word or a note—just reappeared. Apparently, Peter’s her surly Gods of the Gates co-star, and they’re about to spend the next six years filming on a desolate Irish island together. She still wants him…but he now wants nothing to do with her.

Peter knows this role could finally transform him from a forgettable character actor into a leading man. He also knows a failed relationship with Maria could poison the set, and he won’t sabotage his career for a woman who’s already walked away from him once. Given time, maybe they can be cooperative colleagues or friends—possibly even best friends—but not lovers again. No matter how much he aches for her.

For years, they don’t touch off-camera. But on their last night of filming, their mutual restraint finally shatters, and all their pent-up desire explodes into renewed passion. Too bad they still don’t have a future together, since Peter’s going back to Hollywood, while Maria’s returning to her native Sweden. She thinks she needs more than he can give her, but he’s determined to change her mind, and he’s spent the last six years waiting. Watching. Wanting.

His shipwrecked Swede doesn’t stand a chance."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

This year is dedicated to increasing my health and figuring out how to lose weight in menopause (the wellness of my three words of the year). I have decided to read or listen to books dedicated to nutrition and wellbeing. I'm curious as to what I will find and if anything will be helpful.

I am currently reading The Brain Fog Fix by Mike Dow.

Next up is The Hormone Fix by Anna Cabecca.

It's interesting that my first two book claim to have 'fixes'.

--

I don't have time to read through everyone's posts (my you all have been busy) but keep reading!!

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 3