Menu

Whipped cream topping without corn syrup???

klmama

we always do real whipped cream.  It's easy.  I use a hand mixer since I'm usually doing small quantities. (we only mix what we're going to use.)  just pour some in a pyrex measuring cup, or a small bowl, sprinkle some sugar - and mix.

you can make your own spray whipped cream.    just an example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

actually that's how you make butter.

Well, yeah, it is. But...first it's whipped cream. If you continue whipping/shaking, it turns to butter.

Back in my waitressing days, I worked in a restaurant that made it's own whipped cream. We used a stand mixer. More than once, a waitress would start it, get distracted/busy, and come back to find butter. So we'd give that to the baker to use in desserts and start again, determined not to get distracted.

OP, I can't fathom why one wouldn't just whip their own if trying to avoid ingredients, especially if you have a hand mixer or stand mixer.

• Like 4

I never ate prebought whipped cream in my life until adulthood, and we had whipped cream about once a week with pancakes. Our parents just bought heavy cream and had us beat it with a rotary eggbeater - yes, by hand, no electricity! - with powdered sugar for several minutes, and then we got to lick the beaters.

Whipping your own cream is easy, and it does not take a very long time either.

• Like 2

If you need small quantities, let's say to top a pie that you will eat over the course of a week, Pampered Chef has a gadget that uses a plunger to whip cream right in the attached container,. You put a lid on that container and store it in the fridge as you use it. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever until I tried it. It keeps a day or two, and then I plunge/whip some more for that last slide of pie.

ETA: It takes under a minute to plunge whipped cream using the PC gadget.

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, barnwife said:

OP, I can't fathom why one wouldn't just whip their own if trying to avoid ingredients, especially if you have a hand mixer or stand mixer.

or even one of those "drink" blender things would probably work.   We almost always use a hand mixer.  dudeling will now make it himself.  and he doesn't want to do much of anything.    I have small mixing bowls (really small), or even just a 2C pyrex measuring cup. (only making a cup)

4 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Cabot Whipped Cream.  Best whipped cream that is not homemade.  No corn syrup 

Not available here.

30 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We add 1/4 cup of sour cream per cup of heavy whipping cream. It stabilizes it and helps it last a few days in the fridge. It’s nice to have it ready to go and not have to whip right before serving. 

I found if I mix it to the right consistency, it will last a few days in the fridge.  except, dh will grab leftovers and put them in his omelet. 

and I would put a dollop on hot chocolate . . .

We just whip as much as we need at a time. My husband can whip it with a whisk in a few minutes; I could too but I am lazy and weak so use a hand mixer if he's not around to whomp it up. If you are sweetening it, it's easier if you add the powdered sugar in gradually after it has started to thicken a little. Vanilla is a good addition. Cinnamon or other ground spices are good too, depending on the flavor if the item being topped. 

If we have a small amount of whipped cream left, I put it in the fridge to add to my coffee the next day. But there is really not enough for leftovers. But we are generally doing it for our small family so we know the approximate amount needed, would be different if we were doing for a crowd.

Re: pouring out half and shaking the container to whip the rest: this is intriguing to me, but I'm not picturing it. The volume once whipped would seem to be too great to fit in the container, wouldn't it?  

2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We add 1/4 cup of sour cream per cup of heavy whipping cream. It stabilizes it and helps it last a few days in the fridge. It’s nice to have it ready to go and not have to whip right before serving. 

Interesting. Ours is usually fine for a few days with no additions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Really? I don’t need a kitchenaid or something? I don’t even have a hand mixer anymore…

Well, that is how we do it. So I know it works. You have to pour out half so you have room to shake the liquid. Ours comes in a small plastic bottle with a lid, so unscrew the lid, pour out half, put the lid back on, shake it until it is done, and dump it out. You can put a small spatula in it to get the rest out. Then, you put the other half of the cream back in the container and in the frig for the next day when you need to shake it. Easy. No mess to clean up because it is all in the container. Here in NZ, people are regularly seen shaking cream at a party before dessert is served. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

actually that's how you make butter.

Yup, it is. You shake for 5 minutes for cream, and 10 minutes for butter. I have had kids shake the cream too long and bring me butter and say 'I don't know what happened but the cream is now a lump.' 

• Like 2

Professional Whipped-Cream Dispenser - Highly Durable Aluminum Cream Whipper, 3 Various Stainless Culinary Decorating Nozzles and 1 Brush - Whip-Cream Canister with Recipe Guide - Homemade Cream Maker https://a.co/d/6wX4PLp

This gadget will also give you instant whip cream. If you would like to use whip cream all the time. Added benefit is you can use it to make whipped other purees as well (you know if you want to be pretend to be a Michelin star restaurant).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

or even one of those "drink" blender things would probably work. 

They do work very well.  I usually use an electric mixer, but I’ve used the blender bottles (big cups with lids and a wire ball inside that you shake to blend) when traveling.  Two cups of heavy cream and a pack of instant pudding in a blender bottle also makes a quick “mousse” dessert.