Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Oh goodness, I grew up in that area and my parents stayed and heard nothing but HORROR stories from people about the horrible "advising" they got from SJSU (circa 2000-2010), often leading to years of extra schooling.

My scrooge husband insists on applying since that is our cheapest option. At one time they had homeless students in tents on campus. 

1 hour ago, idnib said:

Thank you. DS only started community college DE this fall. (Both of his classes have labs and he didn't want to take classes without the lab component during COVID, when all classes were online.) He did some DE through CLRC for the last 2 years though. Are you saying I should go ahead and send the transcripts from the CLRC DE just in case, and the community college ones once the semester is over? He doesn't have an AA or anything.

I am not familiar with DE through CLRC. Did your son list those classes under the college coursework section? I would play safe and send his community college transcript once the fall semester results are out since Parchment doesn’t cost as much as CollegeBoard. He would also need to check on each portal on whether he needs to update his fall semester grades since the UCs/CSUs have different requirements depending on campus. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I am not familiar with DE through CLRC. Did your son list those classes under the college coursework section? I would play safe and send his community college transcript once the fall semester results are out since Parchment doesn’t cost as much as CollegeBoard. He would also need to check on each portal on whether he needs to update his fall semester grades since the UCs/CSUs have different requirements depending on campus. 

Yes he listed those under the college coursework section of the application. I guess he could send those transcripts through Parchment right now since those were out year before last and last year. He can send cc transcripts after fall semester is over.

• Like 1

OK, not panicking but possibly uploading everything today!  I finally went into the counselor section I was sent by dd's request and it's very different from how I remember.  Simpler, I suppose, but it looks like there is no official place to upload a college/DE transcript, am I reading that right?  Just get it sent via Parchment and assume the admissions people will place it in the right file?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:35 PM, rzberrymom said:

I have an opera VP kiddo. When she had trial lessons, many of the professors seemed relieved that it wasn’t another MT kid. Although, it gave my DD a big, disappointing reality check, that VP programs may be very MT dominated, rather than full of opera and choir kids.

My kiddo hasn’t even been sure where the heck to apply. She’s a STEM kid and has 5 years of dual-enrollment, so she needs a big school with a PhD program for when she runs out of undergrad classes in her STEM field. But she also wants that perfect opera teacher to keep up her skills in case she ever wants a MM in VP. And fantastic choirs that tour. 🙄 I’m guessing she’ll land at one of our big state schools.

Case Western Reserve and CIM are a powerhouse combo for STEM and music.  Unsure about their aid levels for undergrad but CWRU has plenty of grad options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

OK, not panicking but possibly uploading everything today!  I finally went into the counselor section I was sent by dd's request and it's very different from how I remember.  Simpler, I suppose, but it looks like there is no official place to upload a college/DE transcript, am I reading that right?  Just get it sent via Parchment and assume the admissions people will place it in the right file?

I've only gone through this once, but I didn't see a place for college/DE transcripts.  I think those need to be sent directly from the school(s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Is this Common App or a California thing?

CSS Profile thing. Apparently after filling out CSS profile, we are supposed to upload tax info into something called idocs or something like that. 
It’s all so confusing to me. Should I wait for something to prompt me or is this yet another form to deal with? 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, cintinative said:

How big is the original Word file?  That sounds huge, unless you are talking about a word file, printed, and then scanned, in which case, I would just print to pdf. 

My 28 page course descriptions Word document is only 53 KB in size. 😃 When I printed it as a pdf, it went up to 212 KB. (I still have a whole year to make cuts, unlike you all).  But you might be talking about your whole document, including transcript, counselor letter, etc.

ETA: IF you have the full Adobe Acrobat (not just reader) you can insert other pdf files into a file.  So then you can scan only the documents that need original signatures, etc. and print to pdf for the rest. The scanned documents will be larger. 

@Eos Here is a response to my question in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:19 AM, mlktwins said:

I've only gone through this once, but I didn't see a place for college/DE transcripts.  I think those need to be sent directly from the school(s).

Maybe it's too late for whoever asked, but I actually scanned DE transcripts (my kid is attending 2 colleges this semester, long story lol) and put them into my transcript doc.  (Page 1 - summary transcript, Page 2 - Scanned DE transcripts, Page 3 - Credit graduation work sheet Page 4+ - course descriptions.

All the schools have marked that as covered so far, I think fewer places are requiring official transcripts right away in the process.  I know we have pay like $15 for an official transcript to be mailed out.  Anyway - you may want to check policies at individual schools but we're getting away with this thus far though there are 3 more apps to send through on the common app here.

• Like 2

Dd submitted her last regular application tonight!

Next up:

Scholarship/honors applications for her top 2 choices. Hope to have these in before TG. 

She and Dh go for a second visit to her first choice school later this week. (Dh has not been there before.)

P.S. Reading all your questions as you have worked through the Common App, I am glad Dd chose to just use the schools’ applications. All were short and easy, but she is not applying to selective schools. We had her scores sent directly from the CB and our umbrella school sent her transcript. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

@idnib for those of us with kids applying to CSUs, the AP score report seems to be slower this time. Ordered on the 27th and still not in yet in the CSU state apply system for DS17. He had last year’s score report still in their system since he applied last year as freshman. His ACT scores are still there too though they put the received date as last month 🤦‍♀️

Ordered on the 29th for DS16 for his community college to give him his AP credits and they haven’t received either, and I think I pick expedited/rush delivery for his.

• Sad 2

DS17 said he messed up the two factor authentication app (Duo Mobile) on his phone so now he can’t login to the student portal to read the email that was sent to him. He basically received a notification email to say he has an email in his student portal.

ETA:

Going there later after his morning class. Easier to resolve in person.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS17 said he messed up the two factor authentication app (Duo Mobile) on his phone so now he can’t login to the student portal to read the email that was sent to him. He basically received a notification email to say he has an email in his student portal. He did open a problem ticket with IT so waiting for the IT service desk to reply. He doesn’t want to call their helpline number.

Agggggg

We have yet to even receive emails to set up portals from some schools. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@idnib for those of us with kids applying to CSUs, the AP score report seems to be slower this time. Ordered on the 27th and still not in yet in the CSU state apply system for DS17. He had last year’s score report still in their system since he applied last year as freshman. His ACT scores are still there too though they put the received date as last month 🤦‍♀️

Ordered on the 29th for DS16 for his community college to give him his AP credits and they haven’t received either, and I think I pick expedited/rush delivery for his.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have DS check tonight or tomorrow since he'll be out this evening. He told me he ordered another AP score report this morning for a non-CSU school. That school has a Dec 1 deadline for acceptance to apply for the honors college,so I sure hope it gets there in time.

3 minutes ago, idnib said:

He told me he ordered another AP score report this morning for a non-CSU school. That school has a Dec 1 deadline for acceptance to apply for the honors college,so I sure hope it gets there in time.

14 business days so it should be in time for Dec 1st.

ETA: I didn’t pay rush delivery for DS17 since his AP scores are in his community college transcript which we already sent via Parchment.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Arcadia said:

14 business days so it should be in time for Dec 1st.

ETA: I didn’t pay rush delivery for DS17 since his AP scores are in his community college transcript which we already sent via Parchment.

Fingers crossed. It doesn't have to arrive by the 1st, he has to be accepted by the 1st. I'm not thrilled with the way they've worded it; just give a submission deadline! An acceptance deadline is odd to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

This thread makes me so thankful dd wanted a not selective school lol. She filled out the application, I sent everything in and she received her acceptance this week. Super easy. I'm sure my next one won't be so, lol. Now to attack the FAFSA....ugh. 

The FAFSA was less of a bear than I expected in terms of time!

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, catz said:

My oldest kid did a sample lesson at CM and looked carefully at it.  And of course it is a great school and program!

But there was one thing we noticed.  Not specifically at CM, but at some programs that broadly advertised the ability to double major/degree with music.  And I'm especially aware of it now that I have a 2nd music applicant that is a more traditional music centered student.  What we noticed is that the students that come in dedicated to double major are looked at a little differently by some music profs.  And I am sure this is mostly true in popular instruments/vocal tracks - I think CMs acceptance rate is like 5%.  We definitely got the feeling some music profs would definitely prefer their music undergrads did not have their hands in 2 worlds.  And this just may vary by prof, like we didn't always even get a consistent vibe for this talking to 3 different people in the same department.  But music admissions rolls by clicking with a prof/music department generally.

Anyway, for students that are just the deeply academic type that REALLY want the ability to study something else with music, definitely ask the hard questions in your sample lessons.  I think we wasted some time on some apps where it was maybe clear from a sample lesson that my kid had a super positive lesson until he mentioned he was interested in double degree.  🙄

For Carnegie Mellon, unless it's changed, your best bet is to do their  summer program if at all possible. Students in that program do an audition as their jury at the end of the summer, and if it goes well, can be offered admission to the school of music directly. You still have to apply to the college and get in, but you essentially have 6 weeks to prove yourself to the faculty, and I've never known of any student who got into the SOM this way who got turned down by admissions to the U. And I suspect for double majoring, it might be even more important-because they definitely do think of themselves as a different world from the STEM folks. :). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

This thread makes me so thankful dd wanted a not selective school lol. She filled out the application, I sent everything in and she received her acceptance this week. Super easy. I'm sure my next one won't be so, lol. Now to attack the FAFSA....ugh. 

Well I am not sure it’s because of the selectivity. The paranoia here is over filling things out correctly and not forgetting anything. I am terrified I totally messed up my part. I redid Fafsa countless times until finally managed to sink in with irs. I am terrified my kid did something idiotic. I mean we just need one acceptance into anything really to calm the nerves here and give us a signal that we aren’t total idiots in this house. I will celebrate anything, really. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

For Carnegie Mellon, unless it's changed, your best bet is to do their  summer program if at all possible. Students in that program do an audition as their jury at the end of the summer, and if it goes well, can be offered admission to the school of music directly. You still have to apply to the college and get in, but you essentially have 6 weeks to prove yourself to the faculty, and I've never known of any student who got into the SOM this way who got turned down by admissions to the U. And I suspect for double majoring, it might be even more important-because they definitely do think of themselves as a different world from the STEM folks. :). 

Oh this is definitely true and we've seen it be true of other schools that have summer programs as well.  It is very interesting they have that option to audition at CM, I hadn't seen that before.

I don't want to drone on and on about it fromt he double degree angle, but some teachers straight up discouraged my kid from considering double degree, after sitting in an music info session for an hour raving about how amazing and flexible their double degree programs were.  He had one kind of cranky music prof say he won't take double degree students in his studio straight up (wonder if their admin is aware lol - he used the words "you can't do that").  At a school that has double degree in ALL their music related marketing material.  I hate to put too many details online because I've learned these music worlds are small and I have a kid auditioning (she is not remotely interested in CM though) but it seemed pretty clear from our end at several of these schools based on a series of interactions and communications that was making a difference with some teachers.  We did talk to some double degree students on these campuses but it seemed like many of them added the double degree after they were on campus - going both ways.  Auditioning into music AFTER arriving on campus.  Or starting music and figuring out a way to cobble together the 2nd degree.  

I think from a budgetary/logistical point of view if you're a school that have a prescribed 5 year double degree path and have 200 students auditioning for 20 spots in a popular area/instrument and you have X dollars to spread around, your desire to spread that money to someone who is going to tie up some funding for 5 years vs.  might be lower when you have similar straight music students in the mix.   I wouldn't be surprised if statisically those double degree students may be more likely to change path.  I do think that if you're a harpist or some other more exotic instrument, that you may get an entirely different perspective on it at the same school.  Music admit is a fickle beast on the best day especially for popular tracks and it's been a real education.  My senior is working with a prof for music right now too, she even thinks my double degree kid is kind of weird.

I just think for kids that are really excited about double degree opportunities, ask the hard questions.  Getting a teacher to fall in love with you at  a summer program may help grease the wheels on some flexiblity there too, who knows.   I also think the summer programs may be a way to pick out some students who are generally going to need less funding because most of them are super expensive.  For a lot of families spending $$$ already on regional music and prepping for college tuition, it isn't easy to drop that much for a multi week summer program.  That CM program is over 10K for the summer (and I understand they have some FA available for that program, but it would definitely skew toward high income students).  

FWIW - my nerd kid IS graduating with a BS CS degree at a well regarded top 20 CS program and a music degree in 4 years after being told repeatedly how that isn't possble or a good idea lol.  Some students really do favor academics to a social life.  😂    The big universities that had well developed grad programs where they could be more flexible with undergrad music obligations were definitely the most friendly to him (like Michigan).  And were more likely to say here's a music and/or academic scholarship for 4 years, do what you will with it.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, catz said:

Oh this is definitely true and we've seen it be true of other schools that have summer programs as well.  It is very interesting they have that option to audition at CM, I hadn't seen that before.

I don't want to drone on and on about it fromt he double degree angle, but some teachers straight up discouraged my kid from considering double degree, after sitting in an music info session for an hour raving about how amazing and flexible their double degree programs were.  He had one kind of cranky music prof say he won't take double degree students in his studio straight up (wonder if their admin is aware lol - he used the words "you can't do that").  At a school that has double degree in ALL their music related marketing material.  I hate to put too many details online because I've learned these music worlds are small and I have a kid auditioning (she is not remotely interested in CM though) but it seemed pretty clear from our end at several of these schools based on a series of interactions and communications that was making a difference with some teachers.  We did talk to some double degree students on these campuses but it seemed like many of them added the double degree after they were on campus - going both ways.  Auditioning into music AFTER arriving on campus.  Or starting music and figuring out a way to cobble together the 2nd degree.  

I think from a budgetary/logistical point of view if you're a school that have a prescribed 5 year double degree path and have 200 students auditioning for 20 spots in a popular area/instrument and you have X dollars to spread around, your desire to spread that money to someone who is going to tie up some funding for 5 years vs.  might be lower when you have similar straight music students in the mix.   I wouldn't be surprised if statisically those double degree students may be more likely to change path.  I do think that if you're a harpist or some other more exotic instrument, that you may get an entirely different perspective on it at the same school.  Music admit is a fickle beast on the best day especially for popular tracks and it's been a real education.  My senior is working with a prof for music right now too, she even thinks my double degree kid is kind of weird.

I just think for kids that are really excited about double degree opportunities, ask the hard questions.  Getting a teacher to fall in love with you at  a summer program may help grease the wheels on some flexiblity there too, who knows.   I also think the summer programs may be a way to pick out some students who are generally going to need less funding because most of them are super expensive.  For a lot of families spending $$$ already on regional music and prepping for college tuition, it isn't easy to drop that much for a multi week summer program.  That CM program is over 10K for the summer (and I understand they have some FA available for that program, but it would definitely skew toward high income students).  

FWIW - my nerd kid IS graduating with a BS CS degree at a well regarded top 20 CS program and a music degree in 4 years after being told repeatedly how that isn't possble or a good idea lol.  Some students really do favor academics to a social life.  😂    The big universities that had well developed grad programs where they could be more flexible with undergrad music obligations were definitely the most friendly to him (like Michigan).  And were more likely to say here's a music and/or academic scholarship for 4 years, do what you will with it.  

I have heard this from other schools as well. I heard people taking classes in secrete so a music teacher wouldn’t find out or something crazy like that. 

I wonder how they view kids who minor in music then. 😢

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I have heard this from other schools as well. I heard people taking classes in secrete so a music teacher wouldn’t find out or something crazy like that. 

I wonder how they view kids who minor in music then. 😢

Depends on if they need them for ensembles. Minors (and to some extent "music X" majors) are seen as less serious, as dilletantes. I bought into the propaganda that you needed to be a performance, theory/Comp, or other "real" music major to be serious and then ended up going to grad school to get the teaching credentials. Guess what I've done for 30 years?  Guess what almost every student I graduated with has done? 

I advise every prospective music major to have a plan B and prep for it. Get the double major, or get the music X degree. Because being a performance major is awesome, but it's hard to make a career out of, and at this point, even with a PhD, academia is not much better.  And if you're going to end up teaching, you're going to need a thorough knowledge of child development  (and if you're going to teach privately, business and marketing) far more than top level repertoire, because only a handful of teachers teach the kids going to music schools next year. Most of us pay the bills by teaching beginners and intermediates, who have no aspirations beyond high school and maybe playing so their friends can sing along.

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 5

Just throwing it out there in case it's helpful to anyone: my kid is at Blair/Vanderbilt, and Vandy appears to be super friendly to dual degree students. I don't know actual percentages, but DS's perception at least is that he's one of the few kids not doing a dual degree. Arts and sciences caps AP/DE credit, but Blair doesn't...so he came in with credit for something like 10 classes, which will, in his case, make it much easier to do an art history minor and a conducting concentration in addition to his performance major, but, of course, it also makes it way easier to do 2 majors. And if your primary major is at Blair there are other requirements that are waived for you that students with majors in other schools have to do. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Just throwing it out there in case it's helpful to anyone: my kid is at Blair/Vanderbilt, and Vandy appears to be super friendly to dual degree students. I don't know actual percentages, but DS's perception at least is that he's one of the few kids not doing a dual degree. Arts and sciences caps AP/DE credit, but Blair doesn't...so he came in with credit for something like 10 classes, which will, in his case, make it much easier to do an art history minor and a conducting concentration in addition to his performance major, but, of course, it also makes it way easier to do 2 majors. And if your primary major is at Blair there are other requirements that are waived for you that students with majors in other schools have to do. 

Yes, I believe this is true. We live in Nashville and have many friends whose kids are/were at Blair. Dd’s piano teacher is a Blair grad and teaches there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

I think Bard *requires* dual degree for music majors. Maybe all performing art majors I’m not sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

This is really great!  It really can help if they will take more credits incoming, that definitely helped my college senior get the double degree in 4.    I would still encourage people to ask hard questions in individual studios during sample lessons what that will look like and take notes on responses and vibe you get.  Vocal teachers were quirky this way to us and may have more holes they desire to fill for their undergrads depending on institutional needs than some other instruments?  Just speculating there.  We talked to double degree students on all the campuses we got this vibe at, it was very unexpected.  And many of them were in less popular music tracks or added the 2nd after the fact.  But neither of my kids considered Blair.  

I do think many music programs would do well to modernize their programs and teach a broader skills set.  We happen to know a lot of working arts/music majors.  They aren't all teaching young kids.  But they are running non profits, arranging, music directing, grant writing, composing, sound work/editing,  establishing/running community based programs, collabortating and possibly performing on the side, etc etc etc.  It seems like it takes a certain personality, some business skills and a lot of hustle those early years to build your commuinty and your connections.  You may need to be near metros to have more opportunities.  And of course many/most do grad school as well.  So doing an undergrad on the cheap is a good idea too.  

My daughter is interested in a 2nd degree, but it would likely be some non-descript humanities degree in her case and I don't think it would necessarily make her more employable.   She is definitely her own person and is going to what she is going to do and marginally tolerates my opinions.  😂  FWIW, we also know music majors who graduated from solid colleges/Universities with a variety of corporate based jobs too.  The last financial planner we worked with had a degree in music, he does do some side music work.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, catz said:

I do think many music programs would do well to modernize their programs and teach a broader skills set.  We happen to know a lot of working arts/music majors.  They aren't all teaching young kids.  But they are running non profits, arranging, music directing, grant writing, composing, sound work/editing,  establishing/running community based programs, collabortating and possibly performing on the side, etc etc etc.  It seems like it takes a certain personality, some business skills and a lot of hustle those early years to build your commuinty and your connections.  You may need to be near metros to have more opportunities.  And of course many/most do grad school as well.  So doing an undergrad on the cheap is a good idea too.  

Yes! It's so weird to me how focused most conservatories still are on training orchestral musicians when so very few of their graduates will actually BE orchestral musicians. DS is dead set on a performance major and not a dual degree, but I am glad he's doing the art history minor at least, as I can see that being helpful (and him being happy) in some sort of general fine arts non-profit type of job. And he's taking and enjoying music technology classes, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Yes! It's so weird to me how focused most conservatories still are on training orchestral musicians when so very few of their graduates will actually BE orchestral musicians. DS is dead set on a performance major and not a dual degree, but I am glad he's doing the art history minor at least, as I can see that being helpful (and him being happy) in some sort of general fine arts non-profit type of job. And he's taking and enjoying music technology classes, too. 

YES!  Get it together music programs.  These modern musicians have to be jack of all trades. Like the music tech stuff seems like an awesome skill set to me!  It's super he has access to that.  I know Lawrence has a entrepreneurship add on which looks awesome and that is a program my daughter is considering and she had a great sample lesson there.  Get these free lancers how to market themselves and broaden their skill sets!  

My older kid is doing a touring performance group with his college (covid kind of killed that his first year with that group).  He is vocal captain this year and has gotten oh so much tech, organizational, communications and leadership experience with this.  He bought software to divide up all the band and vocal parts and gives notes every week.  And it is an add on performance group for him, not a degree requirement.  He is having SO much fun and learning a ton with that this year.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Finally finished the CSS and uploaded IDOCs. Whew, that was rough.

I tried doing it at the end of October and the website was super laggy. Yesterday, it was quick.

Emily

This is the sort of stuff that is keeping me up at night. I have gone in and looked and looked and I see nowhere any request for an upload of my tax forms. A normal personal would just say, oh good, nobody needs it,  but I am terrified I am not looking in the right place. I really just need to pour me some cold tea and move on. I know. But my mind is playing tricks on me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

This is the sort of stuff that is keeping me up at night. I have gone in and looked and looked and I see nowhere any request for an upload of my tax forms. A normal personal would just say, oh good, nobody needs it,  but I am terrified I am not looking in the right place. I really just need to pour me some cold tea and move on. I know. But my mind is playing tricks on me. 

Only one of the four schools requested documents, if that makes you feel better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well I am not sure it’s because of the selectivity. The paranoia here is over filling things out correctly and not forgetting anything. I am terrified I totally messed up my part. I redid Fafsa countless times until finally managed to sink in with irs. I am terrified my kid did something idiotic. I mean we just need one acceptance into anything really to calm the nerves here and give us a signal that we aren’t total idiots in this house. I will celebrate anything, really. 

I totally get this. When I printed everything and handed off the documents to dh to mail, he was like, "Why are you so nervous?" Because as a homeschool mom, if anything is wrong it is all on me. Typo on the transcript? no one can say oh office error...no, they think "oohhhh so I wonder what kind of education this person actually provided." That may be a bit dramatic but the stress is so real! 

• Like 4

This is the wrong thread to ask this, but is there somewhere on the internet a place where I can research summer music programs? I know which ones we are considering, but I have a hard time understanding nuance of which and by nuance I mean the culture. 
We were all thinking Interlocken, but some of what I read in the internet makes me think it’s not the right place for DS. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I do have to say that it feels weird not to be planning for next year. Normally I start researching around this time of year, but no more. Makes me a little sad to be honest.

Me today.  I hit submit on my piece of the common app and had a few tears.  30 years. 

Also feels weird to not be planning.  Last night I watched dd's end of semester dance composition performance and near the end of it she says "Things draw to a close."  She looked right at me as she said it and my heart froze.

When I hit submit I wanted my husband to cheer or come hug me or say "job well done!" or anything really.  He just sat there.  Unspeakably sad, that part.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

This is the wrong thread to ask this, but is there somewhere on the internet a place where I can research summer music programs? I know which ones we are considering, but I have a hard time understanding nuance of which and by nuance I mean the culture. 
We were all thinking Interlocken, but some of what I read in the internet makes me think it’s not the right place for DS. 

My kiddo was at Tanglewood this summer—PM me for info if that’s one he would be interested in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, rzberrymom said:

My kiddo was at Tanglewood this summer—PM me for info if that’s one he would be interested in.

I have a DS interested in summer music as well -- DS1 was at Interlochen and was generally meh about his experience (which is not to say that Interlochen is meh, just that DS's specific experience was meh). DS2 is a different kid and plays a different instrument.

Would love to hear reviews/suggestions for camps. 

@rzberrymom is it okay if I PM you re Tanglewood?

• Like 1

Guys.  I am not panicking.

Dd is at the kitchen table tinkering with 12 words over the essay limit for today's submission deadline.  See me sitting here quietly on the couch?  I am calm.  I am supportive.  I am making no suggestions that I am not asked to make.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Eos said:

Guys.  I am not panicking.

Dd is at the kitchen table tinkering with 12 words over the essay limit for today's submission deadline.  See me sitting here quietly on the couch?  I am calm.  I am supportive.  I am making no suggestions that I am not asked to make.

Big hugs!  We have a deadline today too and both of mine are still working on their essays.  I am not as quiet as you are as they’ve been aware of this deadline for months now 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6