Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

Also, I was surprised to see one of our schools with a Nov 15th EA deadline, which they met, extend it to Dec 1st. Is this because they didn't get the pool of applicants they were hoping for EA?

In addition, their interview for honors college preference were extended from 12/15 to 1/6. Same thing?  I'm glad of this one because they need to prep and we are super jammed up with mid-terms, etc. and one kid is at a swim meet in another state all weekend.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Question regarding interviews - dress code.

For virtual, my guys will wear a shirt and tie. Can we get away with sweat pants? 🤣

For in-person, they would do shirt and tie too, but with nice pants. Is a jacket required? Any interviews won't be with selective schools.

I hope we are not blowing it.  Mine wore khakis and a golf shirt to his only EA with highly selective school.  Interview went very well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gstharr said:

I hope we are not blowing it.  Mine wore khakis and a golf shirt to his only EA with highly selective school.  Interview went very well.

I’m going to say you are not blowing it!!! Mind would love a polo shirt! If that is ok, that would be great.

• Like 1

Just now, mlktwins said:

I’m going to say you are not blowing it!!! Mind would love a polo shirt! If that is ok, that would be great.

It was a golf polo.  But, I  must add that he listed  3 year varsity golf,  and captain on his app. He is not  trying to be recruited and will not be playing in college.  He said that still golf talk was 30 minutes of a 45 minute interview. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

We got a big fat envelope from UMich yesterday, which was just an ad for the college. I thought by now big fat envelopes might mean something!

Huh. DS was admitted to UMIch last year but never ever received a spot of mail from them. And anyway that’s not a school with rolling admissions 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Question regarding interviews - dress code.

For virtual, my guys will wear a shirt and tie. Can we get away with sweat pants? 🤣

For in-person, they would do shirt and tie too, but with nice pants. Is a jacket required? Any interviews won't be with selective schools.

For virtual, I'd suggest nicer pants than sweatpants. Khakis or dark pants would be fine (as would dark jeans if not ripped).

I say this because when I work with students virtually, they often get up to close a door, close shades, adjust lights, etc. It would make an impression to have a top to bottom discord.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sebastian (a lady) said:

For virtual, I'd suggest nicer pants than sweatpants. Khakis or dark pants would be fine (as would dark jeans if not ripped).

I say this because when I work with students virtually, they often get up to close a door, close shades, adjust lights, etc. It would make an impression to have a top to bottom discord.

I will have to get some! They’ve both outgrown theirs from last year and we haven’t needed any since.

• Like 1

There are many colleges that have extended deadlines nearly every year for several years. Sometimes it's a general extension and sometimes it's an email to students they can see started an app or visited but didn't apply. 

Also if there was a server issue or a natural disaster in an area (fires, storms, electrical outages)  they may do extensions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Do you recommend shirt and tie or is a nice polo ok? This is tor CNU.

I’ve never had a student wear a tie in any of the interviews I’ve done. Ties are so rare anymore that my law firm had to send reminder that they were required at our holiday party (and I think only because the venue has a dress code). Nice polo is fine. I don’t notice the clothing to be honest. One student wore ripped jeans to the interview (back in the day of non virtual). I didn’t ding her for that as we had a great chat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I’ve never had a student wear a tie in any of the interviews I’ve done. Ties are so rare anymore that my law firm had to send reminder that they were required at our holiday party (and I think only because the venue has a dress code). Nice polo is fine. I don’t notice the clothing to be honest. One student wore ripped jeans to the interview (back in the day of non virtual). I didn’t ding her for that as we had a great chat. 

Thank you!  Yes, DH’s law firm is business casual all the time with jeans on Friday (unless a meeting).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, catz said:

Jeez there is an acceptance thread?   I don’t think I can see it!?   

It's in the High School Board, but...would it be alright if I x-posted the Acceptance thread over here at the College Board?  @ScoutTNthank you thank you for stepping up to the plate and running it!!  I am super grateful, I just like to hide a bit here on the College Board 🙂 If it would be annoying to have it posted here too, I will happily look there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DD received an affirmative response from her top choice, cr**shoot admissions school yesterday. 🎉🎉🎉 (I like using  @Roadrunner's label of "highly rejective"!)

I have a question for you all, though. She applied early decision, so now does she have to actively withdraw herself from consideration at other schools or can we just let those applications come to their natural conclusion?

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Eos said:

It's in the High School Board, but...would it be alright if I x-posted the Acceptance thread over here at the College Board?  @ScoutTNthank you thank you for stepping up to the plate and running it!!  I am super grateful, I just like to hide a bit here on the College Board 🙂 If it would be annoying to have it posted here too, I will happily look there.

Yes, good plan to x-post! I debated where to start it and chose the high school board bc that was where most of the past ones were, at least ones I could find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

DD received an affirmative response from her top choice, cr**shoot admissions school yesterday. 🎉🎉🎉 (I like using  @Roadrunner's label of "highly rejective"!)

I have a question for you all, though. She applied early decision, so now does she have to actively withdraw herself from consideration at other schools or can we just let those applications come to their natural conclusion?

Major congrats!!!

Yes, you have to actively withdraw from all others. If there's no way to do it in a portal, send an email. Don't do it verbally over the phone; have a record.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Woohooo!!! Congratulations!!

If you post in the acceptances thread, I’ll add her in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Congratulations!!! 🎉🎊 

You are keeping us all in suspense here 😉

I wish I could take credit for the term, but I think authorship rights belong to @Farrar

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Ugh. Sorry. Do you need a specific class or just a credit or half credit? 

It was a half credit creative writing elective, so that is good, nothing critical. An outsourced class with group feedback was what we were going for. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm starting an "options" list!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

First acceptance! So happy! And relieved I didn’t do anything totally idiotic. 🙂  

YES! Congratulations and let the waves of relief wash over you. Just knowing your kid has a place to go they're happy with takes off so much pressure.

ETA: DS removed some of the schools whose essays he hadn't finished yet once his first acceptance was in. He took out the ones he was less interested in than the accepted one and kept the rest. It cut his workload down by about a quarter.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 5:15 PM, idnib said:

ETA: DS removed some of the schools whose essays he hadn't finished yet once his first acceptance was in. He took out the ones he was less interested in than the accepted one and kept the rest. It cut his workload down by about a quarter.

Yep. DD cut back too. She’s not interested in some locations anymore and she feels her major plus ROTC obligations would make having family nearby a priority. Her pick is likely to be within 4-6 hrs of us. She’s stress free. I’m panicking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rzberrymom said:

DD was deferred from REA to regular decision at Stanford, which I think is positive. They ask all these questions about what amazing things you’ve done since applying. 60 days ago. And she and I joked, “does avoiding the flu count??”

That’s a positive. They usually either reject or accept. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, gstharr said:

It was a golf polo.  But, I  must add that he listed  3 year varsity golf,  and captain on his app. He is not  trying to be recruited and will not be playing in college.  He said that still golf talk was 30 minutes of a 45 minute interview. 

I can now say khakis and polos are OK for M I T.

• Like 7