Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

58 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

OMG scholarship essays. I have completely forgotten about those! 

Don't feel bad! My guys were going to apply to one more school RD (their only RD). They've been working on the essay, which I wanted finished during Christmas break by the way! I had Feb 2nd down for app deadline, but I double checked the other day and OOPS, it was Jan 9th 😬!  Too late now.  They didn't want to go there anyway, but still!!! I wanted the whole app submitted before school started back up so it was done, but they were dragging their feet with the essay. It was an optional essay too, but for us, they aren't optional. KWIM?!?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just want to say that it feels so incredibly weird not to be planning classes for next year! But...I will also add that I am glad it is done!

I plan to help the boys as much as they want with college stuff, but I am glad this part of the journey is over. Been a long 4.5 years for many, many reasons (not all school related) and I am ready to rest a little.

• Like 9

Yes, weird to not be course planning or signing up for our tutorial or online classes! 

But I have more than enough to do and am ready for the next stage. 

I miss homeschooling younger kids. These last few years have been good, but hard too.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Yes!  That is a long time!!!  Mine has not been that long, but I am 55 and homeschooled the twins since K.  Time to start some new projects 😁!

So long for you too.  I am casting about this year, hoping those new projects will come grab me by the shoulder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I just want to say that it feels so incredibly weird not to be planning classes for next year! But...I will also add that I am glad it is done!

I plan to help the boys as much as they want with college stuff, but I am glad this part of the journey is over. Been a long 4.5 years for many, many reasons (not all school related) and I am ready to rest a little.

I've been avoiding clicking on the "what are you planning for X grade" threads. I don't need to find out now that we've missed something!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I've been avoiding clicking on the "what are you planning for X grade" threads. I don't need to find out now that we've missed something!

Yeah, don't go there 🤣!  Besides, you did a fabulous job as evidenced by their acceptances!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am also delighted not to be homeschooling next year!  😍 I may get a real job, we will see.

My daughter got 2 scholarship apps in by the 15th.  She has one more to get in this week.  I swear her ability to coherently communicate in these essays is going down by the week.  School good, give me money.  🤣

I am panicking because kid got invited to audition everywhere she applied (music apps) except one school.  So starting this weekend 5 weekends in a row of auditions.  This weekend is local, which is a nice way to start.  2 flights involved.  We haven't really traveled since covid started.  I did get my booster last week (timed for this!).  She had covid and the flu in the fall, we will be masking, etc.  She is cool as a cucumber about it though.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, catz said:

I am panicking because kid got invited to audition everywhere she applied (music apps) except one school.  So starting this weekend 5 weekends in a row of auditions.  This weekend is local, which is a nice way to start.  2 flights involved.  We haven't really traveled since covid started.  I did get my booster last week (timed for this!).  She had covid and the flu in the fall, we will be masking, etc.  She is cool as a cucumber about it though.  

I hope you have fun and stay well.  I loved audition season, even the winter travel snafus.  Enjoy your time together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I did this a few days ago (11th grade) and my mind cheerfully glazed over, it was kind of neat.  Gotta say though, the 2nd grade planning thread is kind of blowing my mind...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DS continues to drag his feet on honors essays. He's perfectly capable of buckling down and busting out work, but if he has a lot of time to do it, he allows the work to fill all the time. He's always liked structure I guess. In some ways it reminds me of when I try to park in an empty lot. Too many choices and somehow I end up struggling to decide and having to adjust my parking job. With the structure of other cars around, it's easy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@catz Good luck to your Dd on the auditions! Does she have a favorite school in mind so far?

You know, she is actually dual enrolling this year at our state flagship and really likes it.  So in one sense, it's good.  She is already in academically.  Her music teacher is on faculty, so she has to audition but she adores this teacher so I'm sure she has a very good chance of acceptance.  But I'd like her to keep an open mind and not botch auditions either lol!  Time will tell, it will be an adventure.  It's definitely a hunt for merit money in our case.  

I did an audition tour with my oldest kid too and it was a lot of fun. I'm hoping this will be too.  The covid element is a mental battle for me.  🤪

• Like 4

23 hours ago, catz said:

My daughter got 2 scholarship apps in by the 15th.  She has one more to get in this week.  I swear her ability to coherently communicate in these essays is going down by the week.  School good, give me money.  🤣

😂 We called those "caveman essays." The kids really do get worn out with all the essays, lol!

Congrats on the music school auditions!! Traveling for auditions was sooo much fun. Some of the best memories I have are from our college/audition trips.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, idnib said:

DS continues to drag his feet on honors essays. He's perfectly capable of buckling down and busting out work, but if he has a lot of time to do it, he allows the work to fill all the time. He's always liked structure I guess. In some ways it reminds me of when I try to park in an empty lot. Too many choices and somehow I end up struggling to decide and having to adjust my parking job. With the structure of other cars around, it's easy.

Mine hasn’t done a single one.
He is supposed to have one done this weekend. Nothing. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I am seeing a lot of FB posts about USC EA. Less than 6% acceptance rate? That is crazy 😱. Like 2,400 out of 40,400 or something like that.

I think a lot of people like EA because of earlier non binding answer. It’s apparently a super popular school in CA (we must be the only CA family who isn’t applying there) and EA is new to them this year so there is no historical comparison. I refuse to generalize. 🙉🙉🙉
Keep calm and carry on. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It’s apparently a super popular school in CA (we must be the only CA family who isn’t applying there) and EA is new to them this year so there is no historical comparison. I refuse to generalize. 🙉🙉🙉
Keep calm and carry on. 

We live less than 30 miles away from USC and didn't apply.  No UC apps either.  Only new england schools with just one west coaster. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I am seeing a lot of FB posts about USC EA. Less than 6% acceptance rate? That is crazy 😱. Like 2,400 out of 40,400 or something like that.

I thought this happened because they made it a requirement this year that in order to get merit aid, you had to apply early action. Still nuts though.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 4:39 PM, mlktwins said:

I attended a seminar by a local college consultant yesterday. He said that with USC, there are 2 things affecting their EA this year: one is that they intentionally shifted their focus on to getting more east coast as well as international students and most who apply are from the west coast. Second reason is that during the pandemic, they (and many other west coast universities) gave out more acceptances than normal and hence they want to control the number of students on their campuses by reducing acceptances this year. He mentioned that they are seeing some of this in other popular schools here as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just as one kid wrapped up the application process, another started summer music camp app process, which apparently is now! I mean there are things due today that require essays. Not a word written! So I am in a same hole now just with a different kid. I am starting to realize why certain substances have become legal lately. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just as one kid wrapped up the application process, another started summer music camp app process, which apparently is now! I mean there are things due today that require essays. Not a word written! So I am in a same hole now just with a different kid. I am starting to realize why certain substances have become legal lately. 

Oy! Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, idnib said:

Some people (not DS) are already getting SDSU acceptances in their portals but not via email. It seems they started an early release of good news (no rejections) yesterday and it's continued today.

There has always been a January early release for CSU/UC for in state, then out of state, then international students. People guess it has to do with athletes/sports but no one knows for sure. 

• Like 2

Dd and I are headed to Birmingham tomorrow for a Samford visit and Honors College interview/competition. They only take 40 students each year. Expecting about 80 there this weekend. Whether she gets it or not, it will be a nice girls trip. Looking forward to a change of pace and scenery. 

• Like 13

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd and I are headed to Birmingham tomorrow for a Samford visit and Honors College interview/competition. They only take 40 students each year. Expecting about 80 there this weekend. Whether she gets it or not, it will be a nice girls trip. Looking forward to a change of pace and scenery. 

Fingers crossed and enjoy the special time with DD.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are still waiting for our last notification here. Will be no later than the 15th. My boys have made their decisions in the event the last decision is not an acceptance (which is the likely outcome to be honest), but we will see. We are pretty realistic in my house -- LOL. I will be glad when we can move on to focus on just one school for each kid :-).

• Like 8

We're starting to get pressure-y emails about "<institution of higher learning>'s Decision Day!" Am I correct that they have to hold a spot until something like May 1?

I imagine we will decide before then, but not by, in one case, Friday! Am I steering ds wrong but telling him to ignore the pressure tactic? 😬

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

We're starting to get pressure-y emails about "<institution of higher learning>'s Decision Day!" Am I correct that they have to hold a spot until something like May 1?

I imagine we will decide before then, but not by, in one case, Friday! Am I steering ds wrong but telling him to ignore the pressure tactic? 😬

Most schools are May 1, but not all. Reread the acceptance letter to find their deadline. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

That is super stressful! I think we've decided, but I'm going to go back and look at all our dates 😬!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

That is super stressful! I think we've decided, but I'm going to go back and look at all our dates 😬!

No way they will let the date pass by without trying hard to get you(r ds) to commit, though. They want your 💰 But, yeah, we'll be checking the dates for his top two at least!

• Like 5

We are getting the high pressure emails too. Or Dd is. We will not hear from Dd’s #1 until late March or early April, so we cannot do anything til then.  

Still have the scholarship competition at #1 to do later this month! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

We are getting the high pressure emails too. Or Dd is. We will not hear from Dd’s #1 until late March or early April, so we cannot do anything til then.  

Still have the scholarship competition at #1 to do later this month! 

How was the weekend event?

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, Miss Tick said:

Read the admitted students info carefully. 

The system of guidelines that maintained the May 1 decision day is no longer binding. In most cases, an offer will be good until May 1, but there might be deadlines for housing, parking, and other benefits. For example, it's growing more common for dorm selection to be based on when the student deposited. 

Read the details and ask questions of colleges if you aren't sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Read the admitted students info carefully. 

The system of guidelines that maintained the May 1 decision day is no longer binding. In most cases, an offer will be good until May 1, but there might be deadlines for housing, parking, and other benefits. For example, it's growing more common for dorm selection to be based on when the student deposited. 

Read the details and ask questions of colleges if you aren't sure.

JMU is one that bases dorm selection on when admission deposit is paid. They have some OLD, OLD, OLD dorms. Dorms my DH stayed in undergrad and he is 61 🤣🤣🤣. Hoping DS1 gets one of the newer dorms 🤞!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

JMU is one that bases dorm selection on when admission deposit is paid. They have some OLD, OLD, OLD dorms. Dorms my DH stayed in undergrad and he is 61 🤣🤣🤣. Hoping DS1 gets one of the newer dorms 🤞!

Is JMU your Ds1’s first choice school? 

• Like 1

Y’all, I am tired.

This college thing is a marathon. I am so ready to be done. Dd still has a scholarship competition (for big money at her first choice school) and an audition (for a small non-majors’ scholarship at her safety school) to go. April seems a long way away.

Not wishing my days with my girl away by any means, but  I didn’t know about all this winter part of the process before we started.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Is JMU your Ds1’s first choice school? 

We are waiting for one more (the big reach). Decision coming tomorrow night 😬. But yes, his 1st choice. If the reach pans out 🤣, we will have another visit to that school and big discussions. If not, he is very happy with his choice! He loves everything about JMU - old dorms and all. Business college building is modern/brand new and has a good reputation.

• Like 5

Just now, mlktwins said:

We are waiting for one more (the big reach). Decision coming tomorrow night 😬. But yes, his 1st choice. If the reach pans out 🤣, we will have another visit to that school and big discussions. If not, he is very happy with his choice! He loves everything about JMU - old dorms and all. Business college building is modern/brand new and has a good reputation.

Everyone I know who went to JMU loved it. But same is true for his reach school. Nice to have multiple good choices!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just an interesting little tidbit about UVA.

Dean J, on her live Q&A last week, talked about multiples applying. Someone asked her how they handle twins who apply. Dean J seems to enjoy when multiples apply. They generate a report of applicants who are multiples -- LOL. She said, generally speaking, multiples receive the same decision because there are a lot of similarities in their applications. She added, however, that a stellar student won't carry a non-stellar twin into admission -- LOL.

I guess we'll see if this holds true. At this point, I just want to know so we can start finalizing things.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Y’all, I am tired.

This college thing is a marathon. I am so ready to be done. Dd still has a scholarship competition (for big money at her first choice school) and an audition (for a small non-majors’ scholarship at her safety school) to go. April seems a long way away.

Not wishing my days with my girl away by any means, but  I didn’t know about all this winter part of the process before we started.

I totally agree! I am actually ready for the school year to be done if I'm being honest. I am ready to retire from this part -- LOL. I also know time is short with them. I do plan to enjoy every second of the summer, their swim meets, shopping for their dorms, etc.

I have a feeling my dad will have a crisis though, as he is declining rather quickly now, so that is a little cloud hanging over. We'll get through though.  

• Like 5

I've alway told my elderly mother to please wait until youngest was done high school to go critical, and she has so far obliged.  She's kind of revving up, though...

10 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I am actually ready for the school year to be done if I'm being honest.

Senioritis is a thing.  For kids and moms 🙂 

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4