Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

DS's community college class scheduled for this morning was cancelled last night. I don't know if the school itself was closed, but I think his prof lives somewhere hilly and wasn't comfortable driving in even if it was open.

Waiting on UC Davis, hopefully in a few minutes. I've heard nothing about power outages there.

13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We haven’t yet. That’s so good to hear 

Maybe they will offer a free plane ticket to visit. They did to my son who also received a significant scholarship offer which was very nice because we didn’t qualify for FA and most LACs of similar caliber only give FA, not merit. The campus really is beautiful and their huge endowment allows for some special opportunities. Congratulations to your ds.

• Like 5

DD is in at UC Davis, Regents Scholarship and the Honors Program!

I should specify though that I put her in a homeschool charter her junior year because I was so nervous about UC admissions. So, she technically got in as a public school kid. The charter made us jump through very few hoops, so it wasn’t too onerous for us.

• Like 19

17 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I take it back!!!!! Grinnell with a massive scholarship!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

Yay!   Awesome!   🥳

kiddo got Lawrence U conservatory with a massive scholarship earlier this week.   Still waiting but we will take it.   

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, catz said:

Yay!   Awesome!   🥳

kiddo got Lawrence U conservatory with a massive scholarship earlier this week.   Still waiting but we will take it.   

Congratulations! 🎉🍾🎈🎊🎈🎈🎈🎉🎈

Does “we will take it” mean that’s where she will go? Wondering whether it should be in plain type or bold? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Congratulations! 🎉🍾🎈🎊🎈🎈🎈🎉🎈

Does “we will take it” mean that’s where she will go? Wondering whether it should be in plain type or bold? 

Oh no, not yet, still waiting on 3 schools but it is definitely a contender and looks great on the financial end!   We have heard from 4 schools so far.   

Eta are you doing the list?    I will share all of kid’s here at the end.  Music circles are small and admissions feels so competitive and touchy after going through this twice.   

Edited by catz
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, catz said:

Yay!   Awesome!   🥳

Oh wow! Conservatory! Congratulations!!!!! 🎉 🎊 

And with money!!!!! Which instrument? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently into dorm research and shopping mode -- 🤪. If anyone is thinking of getting LL Bean backpacks, they may be backordered to April/May already (both of mine are). It will only get worse as we get closer to back to school. I would order sooner than later if you want one of these.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I'm currently into dorm research and shopping mode -- 🤪. If anyone is thinking of getting LL Bean backpacks, they may be backordered to April/May already (both of mine are). It will only get worse as we get closer to back to school. I would order sooner than later if you want one of these.

These are our favorite school backpacks for sure. Just replaced ours a couple years ago, so we are set. They last a long time!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Sloth has claimed the tree 🙂

Just reading my first post. Boy am I glad I am not there. 🤣

Just couple of weeks away from a shopping spree. 

I thought of your “sloth” this afternoon. 😉 Darned high-achieving sloth!! Great job, mama! 

If he does it again in 4 years for grad school, at least you’ll be a bit removed from the process and it won’t be so torturous?! 😆😆

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

These are our favorite school backpacks for sure. Just replaced ours a couple years ago, so we are set. They last a long time!

DH has one that he used to commute to DC everyday for work. I have one that I have used for years and went to Disney World several times, all our fieldtrips, all baseball games and swim meets. Love our Bean backpacks! The boys have used small ones from Costco for years because they don't carry much in them at one time. These will last through college and beyond (hopefully).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I thought of your “sloth” this afternoon. 😉 Darned high-achieving sloth!! Great job, mama! 

If he does it again in 4 years for grad school, at least you’ll be a bit removed from the process and it won’t be so torturous?! 😆😆

I get a year off and then I have another one. Early indication is he is going to be easier, but that remains to be seen. Grad school? Nooooooo wayyyyyyyy! I am done! Done! Done! I will be long gone and hiding away somewhere in the warm waters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mlktwins said:

When your kids start declining acceptances, will they just hit the decline button in the portals or will they also send an email thanking the school for the opportunity. A don’t burn your bridges kind of thing?

Mine sent e-mails to schools where they'd had a lot of contact with their admissions officers or a particular professor (which was all of them for my music kid, but just a couple for my other kid), but otherwise just hit the decline button. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, mlktwins said:

When your kids start declining acceptances, will they just hit the decline button in the portals or will they also send an email thanking the school for the opportunity. A don’t burn your bridges kind of thing?

We did both. Schools DD had a lot of contact with got personal contact. Schools that didn’t were just declined  in the portals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mlktwins said:

We just plan to push the button. I am guessing they have thousands of those and don’t care for notes. But we haven’t done a single visit (we live too far) so there isn’t a single place that feels personal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DS18 got a scholarship to UIUC for comp sci, which raises it from I'm-glad-I-got-in-somewhere to WHOOHOO-AWESOME-NO-DEBT-THEY-WANT-ME!!!

Still waiting on two schools and the wait feels long. One he would still consider and the other he's basically crossed off the list. I think he would find the things he hates about high school at the second school. 

He knows what dorm he would live in at UIUC and crunched the numbers and thinks he could have a car at UIUC. The other school would mean no car and few frills.

Emily

• Like 17

5 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

DS18 got a scholarship to UIUC for comp sci, which raises it from I'm-glad-I-got-in-somewhere to WHOOHOO-AWESOME-NO-DEBT-THEY-WANT-ME!!!

Still waiting on two schools and the wait feels long. One he would still consider and the other he's basically crossed off the list. I think he would find the things he hates about high school at the second school. 

He knows what dorm he would live in at UIUC and crunched the numbers and thinks he could have a car at UIUC. The other school would mean no car and few frills.

Emily

Fantastic news!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

this thread was a lifeline through this process. So grateful to have had this community over the years. All of you are amazing. 

I sincerely echo this. 

I found my way here by way of the College board and have slowly moved over to the Chat board but I feel most at home here with Parents Who Get It.  Your presence in my life has made up for the loneliness I've felt without any IRL friends with kids who've homeschooled to college.

Thank you to all, and sending gratitude into the past for missed Boardies.

• Like 11

Me too; what they said. 
I will miss your conversation. Thanks for being a safe place to think out loud and to worry and to hope together. 

Wishing all of our seniors a college experience filled with friends, challenge, and fun that builds upon their strong homeschool foundation and equips them to be happy and successful in the big, wide world. 

• Like 11

You all are done!?  Congrats to those of you who are!

So kid here did music auditions with a list and eye toward merit money (or public pricing).  And she was admitted to 6 of 7 programs she auditioned at.  They all came with great scholarships.  4 are within spitting range financially of each other and still under consideration.  1 she absolutely loved and would be up there.  But the price differential seems beyond negotiation range.  The other is now a dud and out.

Sigh - sweeping back to look again at 2 schools in April that are vastly different from each other.  Kid asked if we could.  I think when you're on campus to audition you think about surviving that day and if you'll get in.  Not if you think it's the right fit for you and you can imagine yourself living and learning there.  Because they are both different from what she really envisioned when we started this process, I really want her to be sure.  And time is TIGHT.  Kid is doing a big performancy thing at the same time.  Last visit will be end of April.   One is a small LAC and the other is an urban midsize private.  Sigh.

Anyone else still in the lurch?

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, catz said:

Anyone else still in the lurch?

DS18 is waiting for 7 UCs because he is applying as a transfer and those remaining ones are supposed to start coming out in mid April. We are going to tour the acceptance that is 7hrs drive away and do some rest and relax during spring break next week. We haven’t been in that area before so it would be interesting.

• Like 8