Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

28 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Don’t UCs always extend precisely because their site crashes every year? 

It is not a given. Last year the extension was only one day. To be fair their application opens on August 1st so people did have plenty of time to key in personal information, transcripts, activities and awards, as well as tentatively pick their majors. Then, pasting the answers to the PIQs near to deadline won’t take that long. 

• Like 1

We had 2 more due tomorrow, but one is coming off the list. It’s a good school, but they really don’t want to go there even though they would probably get in with their major. They said they would choose to go to one of the 3 schools they’ve already been accepted to over this school so I’m done thinking about it.  

After tomorrow, one more (regular decision) due Feb 2nd.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, idnib said:

Thanks. DS is still waiting for SLO as well, and UCB too.

You can go to the UC app and see when it is forwarded to the respective UCs. Last year DS17 submitted on the 29th Nov and his application was forwarded to the UCs on 3rd December. After the application is forwarded to various UCs, it still takes awhile for the account emails to trickle in.  UCD for example needs fall grades to be updated in their portal.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

We had 2 more due tomorrow, but one is coming off the list. It’s a good school, but they really don’t want to go there even though they would probably get in with their major. They said they would choose to go to one of the 3 schools they’ve already been accepted to over this school so I’m done thinking about it. 

Dd is going to punt on the scholarship/honors application for one of her schools for similar reasons. She’s accepted to three schools that she likes better, two of which we can afford with automatic merit aid plus the lottery scholarship. So why do all the extra work. She has better things to do over Christmas break.

• Like 7

Now I am panicking...

DS submitted the UC app a couple of weeks ago and didn't send AP scores because he thought they were just for placement if you are accepted and decide to go. I thought they had to be submitted by Nov 30 if they are being used to cover a-g requirements. He sent them today but we're super stressed about it now. I can't find the answer anywhere either. Googling just brings up the placement info.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, idnib said:

Now I am panicking...

DS submitted the UC app a couple of weeks ago and didn't send AP scores because he thought they were just for placement if you are accepted and decide to go. I thought they had to be submitted by Nov 30 if they are being used to cover a-g requirements.

Not required until acceptance offer. All the UCs that DS17 applied to last year took the AP scores at face value.  He was considered as a homeschool applicant.

CSU is the one that required the AP score report to be submitted at application.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Not required until acceptance offer. All the UCs that DS17 applied to last year took the AP scores at face value.  He was considered as a homeschool applicant.

CSU is the one that required the AP score report to be submitted at application.

Whew, that's good to hear. Let's hope he gets in so the fees we just paid won't be for nothing!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, idnib said:

Whew, that's good to hear. Let's hope he gets in so the fees we just paid won't be for nothing!

He used SAT history subject test to fulfill one of the history requirements and the UCs he applied to last year were all okay with it. 
The UCs really take what is reported at face value. They could rescind an offer if the applicant stated their scores/grades wrongly so they aren’t worried. 
Good Luck to your son 🍀

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I read a depressing article this morning about how it is easier for out of state applicants to get scholarships than for in state applicants.

I'm struggling to stay interested in reading all of the follow-up emails for all of the colleges applied to by both of my seniors. Really hoping that anything important will be repeated once acceptances/rejections are out and we can pare down the lists.

• Like 3

DS got his first acceptance yesterday! The deadline is Jan 15, but notifications are rolling and the "accepted by" deadline for the honors invitation is Dec 1, so he at least made that. We'll see if an honors invite is forthcoming over the next few weeks. It's a safety for him, and it's on the other side of the country, but we're relieved. Very relieved.

His Common App essay continues to be the bane of my existence. He's a good academic writer, but writing about himself has been really hard. And when he does, it's an explanation of how things he does work, or how he found out about them, etc. Basically descriptive, but not with feelings or impact. He's trying again, right now, after we discussed a concept that's woven through a few areas of his life. He's going to try and write about the concept now.

• Like 12

We do have one rolling acceptance (yay!).  She has one other EA out that should be released some time this month.   She is doing music auditions so our process is complex.  Waiting to hear on some auditions now.  She has paperwork in for 6 schools both on the academic and music side, 2 schools left with just a few niggling short essays.  I am baby stepping her through them at this point.  I might drag her through one tonight.  It's like she's written so much, she can pull stuff and get it to fit other prompts for the most part.  She is also a really good writer but these short admissions essays are ridiculous.  Did I mention many music apps have one or two as well besides the ones you need to do on the academic side.  So dumb.  Blah blah amazing faculty, superb campus community and facilities, blah blah blah

BUT today we just threw another school on the list.  She has been relentessly emailed unprompted by a fancy program we weren't considering but what the heck.  We really want to travel SOMEWHERE besides the midwest in February!  I'd rather she end up with too many auditions and we drop some.  Vocal music is crazy town.

The big excitement in the last week is she got a personal email from a teacher in a competitive program she had a sample lesson with a few months ago saying he hoped to see her application soon!  That one has a prescreen but I'm guessing she'll be invited to audition.  😂  ❤️ 

She has 2 apps out - one on the west coast and one on the east and those are the big question marks for travel right now.  Actually if she heard on those soon, we may just drop an option.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 10

I keep trying not to panic...for awhile dd had it narrowed down to 2 schools -- one home and one away. After visiting the away school she decided she definitely wanted to go there so she applied. She was accepted. Done. But now I can't help but panic because she didn't apply to the one close to home there is no back up...no fall back (why hello...she doesn't need as she has been accepted to the school of choice) but I can't help but lose my mind anyway...and now to think through what I want to do for a part time job to finance this choice of hers....

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, mlktwins said:

Just checking in!  How’s everyone doing?

Now is the lull period for us. I reminded DS18 (birthday recently) to register for the government selective service so at least that’s done.

23 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm struggling to stay interested in reading all of the follow-up emails for all of the colleges applied to by both of my seniors. Really hoping that anything important will be repeated once acceptances/rejections are out and we can pare down the lists.

I have to remind DS18 to check his emails including spam/junk folders every few days. Sometimes there are supplementary documents to be uploaded or supplementary essays to be written. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Now is the lull period for us. I reminded DS18 (birthday recently) to register for the government selective service so at least that’s done.

I have to remind DS18 to check his emails including spam/junk folders every few days. Sometimes there are supplementary documents to be uploaded or supplementary essays to be written. 

Happy Birthday to your DS! 🎉

We have only gotten portal set up from two UCs so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Happy Birthday to your DS! 🎉

We have only gotten portal set up from two UCs so far. 

Thank you for both DS18 and DS17 😀

DS18 has received portal setup emails from three UCs so far. Should be UCI, UCSD and UCSC if I didn’t hear him wrongly. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

Dumb question—if something shows up in the portal, do they also receive an email? Or they need to be checking the portals regularly?

It should but it may not. Outlook is cranky for example for the community college DS18 is in.

ETA: I meant the colleges’ email systems do get wonky.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DD got an email yesterday saying that her #1, pie-in-the-sky, reach choice will be sending out their first round of decisions on Monday. I thought that was an unnecessary way to add tension to the weekend! She said she plans on working on her last two essays over the weekend anyway.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

We scheduled a zoom meeting with our enrollment counselor at Dd’s first choice for next week to discuss financial stuff. She has been awarded two merit scholarships, but not enough to make this school affordable. Just need to clarify with the school that our EFC is 2x what we can actually do and that we cannot/will not borrow. 

Dd needs to follow up with recommendations for the big deal scholarship that would enable her to attend this school. The scholarship competition weekend is in February.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Eos said:

How are you guys doing?

We are doing ok!  No new acceptances. They need to have an interview for Honors College next week at DS1's 2nd choice. DS2 had a swim meet near one of the colleges we haven't heard from yet. We walked around campus while we were there (we had done a tour previously). It is small, quiet, not a lot of action on the weekends.  DS1 would perish there, but it might be good for DS2.

This is a roller coaster though. They applied to one pretty selective school (UVA). Decisions for EA aren't supposed to be out until 2/15. We got letters in the mail yesterday and at first I was super excited, then I was deflated (as it wasn't a fat package -- LOL). Then DH and I took a minute and it said to the Family of DS1 and DS2. It was to legacy applicant's parents saying they've received the applications and blah, blah, blah. It gave an insert that spelled about what legacy means to admissions. So...we are still waiting. At least it wasn't a rejection letter 🤣. Legacy does give a little bit of a leg up so we will see. DS2 would like this school. DS1 doesn't love the campus, but would probably go for the prestige of the degree. Can't make a decision until we know if there is an acceptance.

What a ride...

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

We are doing ok!  No new acceptances. They need to have an interview for Honors College next week at DS1's 2nd choice. DS2 had a swim meet near one of the colleges we haven't heard from yet. We walked around campus while we were there (we had done a tour previously). It is small, quiet, not a lot of action on the weekends.  DS1 would perish there, but it might be good for DS2.

This is a roller coaster though. They applied to one pretty selective school (UVA). Decisions for EA aren't supposed to be out until 2/15. We got letters in the mail yesterday and at first I was super excited, then I was deflated (as it wasn't a fat package -- LOL). Then DH and I took a minute and it said to the Family of DS1 and DS2. It was to legacy applicant's parents saying they've received the applications and blah, blah, blah. It gave an insert that spelled about what legacy means to admissions. So...we are still waiting. At least it wasn't a rejection letter 🤣. Legacy does give a little bit of a leg up so we will see. DS2 would like this school. DS1 doesn't love the campus, but would probably go for the prestige of the degree. Can't make a decision until we know if there is an acceptance.

What a ride...

I have a dear friend who is the mother of twins who are Ds23's besties. They applied to some of the same schools and it was a bit fraught when one got into several of them and one did not.  But also the second one was accepted where the other was waitlisted so that was a bit of a cushion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

What a ride...

I was a legacy admit there, way back in the dark ages…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We scheduled a zoom meeting with our enrollment counselor at Dd’s first choice for next week to discuss financial stuff. She has been awarded two merit scholarships, but not enough to make this school affordable. Just need to clarify with the school that our EFC is 2x what we can actually do and that we cannot/will not borrow. 

Dd needs to follow up with recommendations for the big deal scholarship that would enable her to attend this school. The scholarship competition weekend is in February.

Let us know how this goes. Good for you being proactive. We never did this sort of thing and just figured no one would actually care if we explained we couldn’t pay but people do tell stories of appeals working and you might as well try and it seems this is a clear favorite for your dd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Let us know how this goes. Good for you being proactive. We never did this sort of thing and just figured no one would actually care if we explained we couldn’t pay but people do tell stories of appeals working and you might as well try and it seems this is a clear favorite for your dd. 

We won’t hear back on the competitive scholarship until April, but I just want them to know what the reality is. I know merit aid is supposedly need-blind, but at a small school where the process may be more organic and less formulaic, it can’t hurt for them to have all the relevant information. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Even the pretty college mail stopped coming. What happened to all the love? Just like that? Done? All sorts of promises were made, you know. 

We got a big fat envelope from UMich yesterday, which was just an ad for the college. I thought by now big fat envelopes might mean something!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Can you clarify @mlktwins what is meant by legacy? Are you or your dh an alum of the college? What happens if it is a grandparent? Would they get a mailing? I am possibly going to be in this situation next year.

DH went to UVA. I believe siblings and grandparents are also considered for legacy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

We got a big fat envelope from UMich yesterday, which was just an ad for the college. I thought by now big fat envelopes might mean something!

That is disappointing, but we are still getting fat mail (ads) from colleges my guys have been accepted to. I’m learning not to get my hopes up when I see the mail 🤣.

ETA: I am bad at typing on my phone. 

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3

DS has all portals except UCSD.

Speaking of UCSD, I have a tab open that I wanted to share here. Please forgive me if this is the thread I originally got it from; I've been doing a lot of reading! So it turns out you can change your UCSD college rankings until 1/31 and there's this chart if anyone is interested in requirements and which colleges take AP credit to clear them

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS has all portals except UCSD.

Speaking of UCSD, I have a tab open that I wanted to share here. Please forgive me if this is the thread I originally got it from; I've been doing a lot of reading! So it turns out you can change your UCSD college rankings until 1/31 and there's this chart if anyone is interested in requirements and which colleges take AP credit to clear them

We have a UCSD portal, but still waiting on some others. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 2:42 PM, Miss Tick said:

I read a depressing article this morning about how it is easier for out of state applicants to get scholarships than for in state applicants.

Often these "scholarships" are discounts on the surcharges that out of state students pay. They might get $5-10k discounted but still pay $10-15k more than a resident student. 

• Like 3