Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

33 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I meant the buildings. 

I meant the buildings too 🙂 My friend’s daughter’s UCSD dorm was unimpressive. She rented an apartment with another high school ex-classmate after freshman year.

UCLA’s Luskin Hotel is lovely but rooms are small. We stayed there when on business trip to UCLA. If proximity to healthcare is a consideration, UCLA’s hospital is on campus. UCDavis hospital is not near campus. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I meant the buildings too 🙂 My friend’s daughter’s UCSD dorm was unimpressive. She rented an apartment with another high school ex-classmate after freshman year.

UCLA’s Luskin Hotel is lovely but rooms are small. We stayed there when on business trip to UCLA. If proximity to healthcare is a consideration, UCLA’s hospital is on campus. UCDavis hospital is not near campus. 

I think the worse I have seen is Harvey Mudd. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@crazyforlatin@Roadrunner We did went to the Claremont Colleges out of curiosity while in SoCal for work trip. The skateboard racks look like this. If I know how to skateboard, I would be tempted to imitate Michael J Fox (Back to the Future). 

Screen-Shot-2017-10-12-at-4.38.17-PM.png
https://www.hmc.edu/admission/2017/10/12/wheels-on-campus/

That’s so cool! Dd does skateboard. And no need for locks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@crazyforlatin@Roadrunner We did went to the Claremont Colleges out of curiosity while in SoCal for work trip. The skateboard racks look like this. If I know how to skateboard, I would be tempted to imitate Michael J Fox (Back to the Future). 

Screen-Shot-2017-10-12-at-4.38.17-PM.png
https://www.hmc.edu/admission/2017/10/12/wheels-on-campus/

This is so not my kid. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

This is so not my kid. 🤣

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Mine either!  

My kids were intimidated since they can’t even ride a bicycle well. They were drawn to the table tennis table in Caltech’s dining hall.

My husband was so bored with the unpredictability of college applications that he is looking at future MBAs for our kids. The campuses that feel like home to my kids would definitely be what my kids prefer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Meanwhile I have a friend whose kid manage to submit 20 apps. 
At a rate my boy is going, I don’t know he will manage more than 3-4 in addition. 

We’re in the same boat. One REA submitted, nothing else. My kiddo is really dragging her feet on finishing the UC app. It’s so painful to watch. 😞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

We’re in the same boat. One REA submitted, nothing else. My kiddo is really dragging her feet on finishing the UC app. It’s so painful to watch. 😞

Is she writing other private app essays or waiting on REA results? Gosh, mine is not motivated to do anything. 

We just click submit on the UC app. Essays are mediocre, everything is mediocre, but he has had it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Meanwhile I have a friend whose kid manage to submit 20 apps. 
At a rate my boy is going, I don’t know he will manage more than 3-4 in addition. 

My husband and I went Black Friday shopping and bought lots of different kinds of cookies as bribes back 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Is she writing other private app essays or waiting on REA results? Gosh, mine is not motivated to do anything. 

We just click submit on the UC app. Essays are mediocre, everything is mediocre, but he has had it. 

We’re about as far away as you can get from a decent size airport in CA, so she’s not too keen on far-off private schools. The UCs are probably the best fit for her. She made some progress tonight, thank goodness!!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Mine gets tummy aches from all the college application stress, as well as a few pimples. 

Honestly, I think they are all stressed out and handle it in different ways 😞. Mine are super snarly writing the essays (the actual applications don't bother them) and are like a whole new kid once they are submitted. Our tempers have been flaring (all 3 of us) during this process. I should back away, but then it wouldn't get done so 🤷‍♀️!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Honestly, I think they are all stressed out and handle it in different ways 😞. Mine are super snarly writing the essays (the actual applications don't bother them) and are like a whole new kid once they are submitted. Our tempers have been flaring (all 3 of us) during this process. I should back away, but then it wouldn't get done so 🤷‍♀️!  

Mine is an ostrich sloth hybrid - slow like the latter and loves to ignore the unpleasant reality like the former. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

That is the most helpful comparison I’ve seen—thank you!!

”Compare UC San Diego Colleges

Select up to three Colleges to compare side by side.” http://compare.ucsd.edu

Based on dining choices, DS17’s first choice is clear

“Seventh College’s neighborhood restaurant is a modern eatery featuring an open kitchen, sushi bar, and a delicious Pacific Rim-inspired menu. Our chefs serve  the freshest seafood, crisp greens, local produce inspired vegetarian fare, and noodle dishes.

UC San Diego’s largest campus market offers espresso beverages, fresh pastries, groceries, to-go meals, and household essentials, all of which can be purchased with Triton Cash and Dining Dollars“

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

Those are good priorities!! My DD’s first choice is UCLA mainly because she read it has the best food. 😄

My kids had Panda Express at the Terrace Food Court (Ackerman, Level 1) next to their bookstore while my husband was doing internship interviews there a few years ago. My kids liked that Trader Joe’s and Target were a short walk away. I like that UCLA’s hospital is reputable.

ETA: My husband and I were saying that Davis would be a nice retirement choice for us. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

ETA: My husband and I were saying that Davis would be a nice retirement choice for us. 

I love Davis!  Except it’s hotter than heck in the summer, and the university hospital isn’t actually in Davis… (I’ve been spoiled by having a university hospital practically next door!)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I love Davis!  Except it’s hotter than heck in the summer, and the university hospital isn’t actually in Davis… (I’ve been spoiled by having a university hospital practically next door!)

I know that. It is a short bus ride away though so not as scary as being far from a reasonably large hospital. I live 16 miles away from Stanford hospital after all.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I know that. It is a short bus ride away though so not as scary as being far from a reasonably large hospital. I live 16 miles away from Stanford hospital after all.

There are some neighborhoods around Stanford with access to a free shuttle that drops off directly at the hospital. That must be nice as parking is kind of expensive at the hospital.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

There are some neighborhoods around Stanford with access to a free shuttle that drops off directly at the hospital. That must be nice as parking is kind of expensive at the hospital.

We park at Stanford Shopping Center since my husband shops while I go for my medical appointments. I take the free Marguerite shuttle if my husband isn’t dropping me off.

• Like 2

DS17 applied to college in the UK and has an online interview for Cambridge this Friday morning. He's reading various books on issues in Comp Sci and doing two mock technical Comp Sci interviews to prepare, so he asked for a reprieve on writing new application essays until after the interview. 🙂

Emily

• Like 13

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

DS17 applied to college in the UK and has an online interview for Cambridge this Friday morning. He's reading various books on issues in Comp Sci and doing two mock technical Comp Sci interviews to prepare, so he asked for a reprieve on writing new application essays until after the interview. 🙂

Emily

Congrats on getting the interview! That’s a huge deal! 

• Like 4

Dd got invited to compete for a “last dollar” (all tuition paid) scholarship today!

Eta: She’s already done the essay - that’s what got her selected. She just needs recommendations. The competition weekend is not til Feb and they don’t notify until April, so still a long process. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 14

On 11/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, EmilyGF said:

Emily

Wow!  That's fantastic!!!  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, Roadrunner said:

And after all the work on UC apps, no confetti. Not even that. 

After paying, he gets a large smiley face with “Good job!” in large font under the smiley face.  Our CSU and UC application fees combined ($700) is more than the California Middle Class Tax Refund we got 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Sad 4