Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

15 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

meanwhile one of the schools is telling me they don't have the transcript which they most definitely received and downloaded. 🙄

There is probably a disclaimer at the bottom that it also might just not be updated in their system yet so give them 2 weeks??? After the second email I replied in confusion that Common App seemed to think they had downloaded that along with the rest of the package, could they please check? No response, but no further hollow requests.

• Like 2

For all of those who have hit the submission button over the past few weeks, here's a blog from a college admissions counselor who is telling you to CELEBRATE the submission!  It's a fun read, and even though the author is writing directly to high school students, it definitely applies to homeschool parents.  It's A BIG DEAL! 🙂 

And I'm so happy to hear about the submissions from other posters today. Another hurdle!  My kid, who has already submitted a bunch of early actions, needs to do the final proofread of an honors program essay that is due today. Thank goodness it doesn't need to go through the Common App, just the school's portal.  But really, it's down to the wire...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

There is probably a disclaimer at the bottom that it also might just not be updated in their system yet so give them 2 weeks??? After the second email I replied in confusion that Common App seemed to think they had downloaded that along with the rest of the package, could they please check? No response, but no further hollow requests.

We had the disclaimer on one of ours for our Nov 1st EA deadline.  I waited and watched and was going to contact them this week, but their apps finally say completed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

It’s a portal that finally got set up. It’s really strange. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, threedogfarm said:

For all of those who have hit the submission button over the past few weeks, here's a blog from a college admissions counselor who is telling you to CELEBRATE the submission!  It's a fun read, and even though the author is writing directly to high school students, it definitely applies to homeschool parents.  It's A BIG DEAL! 🙂 

And I'm so happy to hear about the submissions from other posters today. Another hurdle!  My kid, who has already submitted a bunch of early actions, needs to do the final proofread of an honors program essay that is due today. Thank goodness it doesn't need to go through the Common App, just the school's portal.  But really, it's down to the wire...

Dd and I loved that you could hit the Celebrate button over and over again at the end of the Common App for more confetti.  That is a new feature since 6 years ago!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Considering where you live,

I think you and RR may be dealing with the same school…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

These college apps are going to be the death of me 😵!!!

Number 7 submitted for both boys.  3 more to go (two Dec 1st and one Feb 1st). I am determined that all essays will be finalized by the end of Thanksgiving break!!! 

Dd has three scholarship apps to do over TG break, then two more before Christmas. And her final documents for her big scouting community service project. Ugh! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

These college apps are going to be the death of me 😵!!!

Number 7 submitted for both boys.  3 more to go (two Dec 1st and one Feb 1st). I am determined that all essays will be finalized by the end of Thanksgiving break!!! 

You are ambitious! 

Mine has UC app to do, so he is "on break" from regular programming that will resume December 1st, and which will require probably another 10 essays to be written. His last app is due January 15, and I bet big that will the day his last essay will be finalized. 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

You are ambitious! 

Mine has UC app to do, so he is "on break" from regular programming that will resume December 1st, and which will require probably another 10 essays to be written. His last app is due January 15, and I bet big that will the day his last essay will be finalized. 

10 essays! 😱😱😱😱😱

My Dd has only written 1 so far, for 5 apps. She will have 5 more, I think, one for each scholarship or honors program. Plus some short answer questions. Then interviews, if she makes the cut. 

• Like 3

BalletBoy got them all done day before yesterday. So that's finished. I think he ran out of steam because a couple of months ago, he was all in on college but now he's more entrenched at ballet and there have been some positive developments for him there and I think he's leaning more toward not going after all. Weirdly, it may be helped that his twin is off at college, which - Mushroom is having a great time and just got most of the spring classes he wanted - but I think it's demystified the whole thing for him as being good, but not necessarily special in some secret way.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Farrar said:

BalletBoy got them all done day before yesterday. So that's finished. I think he ran out of steam because a couple of months ago, he was all in on college but now he's more entrenched at ballet and there have been some positive developments for him there and I think he's leaning more toward not going after all. Weirdly, it may be helped that his twin is off at college, which - Mushroom is having a great time and just got most of the spring classes he wanted - but I think it's demystified the whole thing for him as being good, but not necessarily special in some secret way.

What an interesting insight.  Hoping to see him dance one day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

10 essays! 😱😱😱😱😱

My Dd has only written 1 so far, for 5 apps. She will have 5 more, I think, one for each scholarship or honors program. Plus some short answer questions. Then interviews, if she makes the cut. 

Some of them want multiple! Macalester wants four essays I believe. It’s crazy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ds is planning to submit UC apps Friday. The essays are almost done but one of them is in a very different style from the others, so I don't know. Also on Friday, his Nov SAT scores should be in, which will be good data to have. He also took it in Oct but wanted another go just in case and for super scoring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, idnib said:

Ds is planning to submit UC apps Friday. The essays are almost done but one of them is in a very different style from the others, so I don't know. Also on Friday, his Nov SAT scores should be in, which will be good data to have. He also took it in Oct but wanted another go just in case and for super scoring.

Do you know which part mine is stuck on in UC app? Questions about what he learned while earning an award. His answer? Nothing. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Do you know which part mine is stuck on in UC app? Questions about what he learned while earning an award. His answer? Nothing. 

So it gets better. I signed in to to app to see the question. They aren’t asking what he learned. They are asking what he did. 🤦🏻‍♀️ That he says he can tell them. He is awesome. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, idnib said:

Ds is planning to submit UC apps Friday. The essays are almost done but one of them is in a very different style from the others, so I don't know.

The person reading the PIQs is supposed to pick 2 out of 4 to read for each applicant so I won’t worry about having consistent style.

25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So it gets better. I signed in to to app to see the question. They aren’t asking what he learned. They are asking what he did. 🤦🏻‍♀️ That he says he can tell them. He is awesome. 

The awards section was easier to answer. The volunteer section was the mentally painful one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The person reading the PIQs is supposed to pick 2 out of 4 to read for each applicant so I won’t worry about having consistent style.

The awards section was easier to answer. The volunteer section was the mentally painful one. 

Wait a minute, they choose 2 of the 4 after all the work? Why is there never positive uplifting news about the UC.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

Wait a minute, they choose 2 of the 4 after all the work? Why is there never positive uplifting news about the UC.

Crazy, isn’t it? Why have kids do all this work and not even have a decency to read and consider it? It’s a terrible way to approach students. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Crazy, isn’t it? Why have kids do all this work and not even have a decency to read and consider it? It’s a terrible way to approach students. 

I wonder if it is a way to get fewer applicants. Another way would be to charge a higher fee to apply, but I would expect that the state legislature won't allow that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I wonder if it is a way to get fewer applicants. Another way would be to charge a higher fee to apply, but I would expect that the state legislature won't allow that.

I thought getting more applicants and therefore lower acceptance rate was the way colleges improved their rankings. 
I think ranking business has done so much harm that I applaud anybody who doesn’t play their game. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I read it last academic year on one of the UC’s application reader job posting 

6 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Agree. Felt so bad for my kid who have trouble writing essays. 

3 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

They don’t want to pay application readers more (just kidding). $70 application fee is not low. They definitely want more applications to have a lower acceptance rate. 

https://admission.ucla.edu/contact/application-readers

Compensation Rates for Application Readers
Number of Applications Read Amount Paid
500 $1,350
600 $1,595
700 $1,840
800 $2,085
900 $2,330

$2,575

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

@Arcadia @Roadrunner It just seems like there must be some reason behind that which made sense to someone at some point... I know the CA legislature often puts requirements on the UCs without funding them. Any guess at a reason?

I would guess they used to read them all, but for cost savings they now only read 2, and figure their random reading sample will give them a feel for the student's skill level (or dedication or interest or whatever). The compensation table @Arcadia  posted works out to $2.70 per application (at the 500 rate, less for 1000, clearly)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I would guess they used to read them all, but for cost savings they now only read 2, and figure their random reading sample will give them a feel for the student's skill level (or dedication or interest or whatever). The compensation table @Arcadia  posted works out to $2.70 per application (at the 500 rate, less for 1000, clearly)

So a sensible thing would be to realize that these kids are also filling out Common App and worrying gazillion other essays.
So if you aren’t going to read all of those essays, don’t require them. It’s just disrespectful if you ask me to have that sort of attitude towards kids applying to your institution. I am happy my kid doesn’t want to go to a UC. Sometimes I wonder why I bother making him apply. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So a sensible thing would be to realize that these kids are also filling out Common App and worrying gazillion other essays.
So if you aren’t going to read all of those essays, don’t require them. It’s just disrespectful if you ask me to have that sort of attitude towards kids applying to your institution. I am happy my kid doesn’t want to go to a UC. Sometimes I wonder why I bother making him apply. 

I totally agree with you. Just guessing how CA ended up there legislaturally.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I would guess they used to read them all, but for cost savings they now only read 2, and figure their random reading sample will give them a feel for the student's skill level (or dedication or interest or whatever)

I think it is not only for cost savings but also for time saving. Besides the essay portion, the application reader would probably have to read through the awards portion (which has short essays on what the award is and what the applicant have to accomplish to receive that award), the ECAs section and the volunteer section (which also has essays on what the organization/club does and what is the applicant’s contribution).

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So if you aren’t going to read all of those essays, don’t require them. 

I agree. It would be nice if they just say pick 2 out of 8. Their transfer app also requires 4 essays, 1 is compulsory and then 7 choose 3.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I think it is not only for cost savings but also for time saving. Besides the essay portion, the application reader would probably have to read through the awards portion (which has short essays on what the award is and what the applicant have to accomplish to receive that award), the ECAs section and the volunteer section (which also has essays on what the organization/club does and what is the applicant’s contribution).

I agree. It would be nice if they just say pick 2 out of 8. Their transfer app also requires 4 essays, 1 is compulsory and then 7 choose 3.

Do we know for sure they only read two?

• Like 1

I agree. If they're only going to read two of four written, just have them write 2 and read both. This is weird. The only reason it would make sense is if there are two readers and the other two get passed to the other reader.

ETA: Not that I'm saying it has to make sense, lol.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Acceptances by email should follow with an official letter in the mail?  If it says to read the entire package, but only the letter is posted in the applicant portal, then one would assume all the details will be in the mailed package?

Ooh, exciting!  I hope it is all the best!  I can't answer your question but it would seem logical.

• Like 2

DS got the UC apps submitted, very late a couple of nights ago. Somehow we didn't realize that UCSD would require him to rank their 8 undergraduate colleges at the time he applied. (Eighth college isn't on that list, but it was on the application for ranking.) Heads up for anyone else, in case you're thinking, as he was, that it wouldn't take that long to get everything submitted. Don't start late, or wait until the last minute. DS and I were talking about how a lot of those rankings are probably somewhat randomly chosen by students at 11:50pm on Nov 30 and that it might be better to have people rank preferred colleges later in the process, like UCSC does.

43 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS got the UC apps submitted, very late a couple of nights ago. Somehow we didn't realize that UCSD would require him to rank their 8 undergraduate colleges at the time he applied. (Eighth college isn't on that list, but it was on the application for ranking.) Heads up for anyone else, in case you're thinking, as he was, that it wouldn't take that long to get everything submitted. Don't start late, or wait until the last minute. DS and I were talking about how a lot of those rankings are probably somewhat randomly chosen by students at 11:50pm on Nov 30 and that it might be better to have people rank preferred colleges later in the process, like UCSC does.

This threw us off too—I had no idea! And the descriptions they link to are pretty vague and unhelpful. My DD also got a kick out of the fact that they forgot one of their residential colleges in the descriptions!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

This threw us off too—I had no idea! And the descriptions they link to are pretty vague and unhelpful. My DD also got a kick out of the fact that they forgot one of their residential colleges in the descriptions!

Mine looked at them and shrugged his shoulders. He says he doesn't really think it matters. Have you found anything helpful to differentiate between them? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine looked at them and shrugged his shoulders. He says he doesn't really think it matters. Have you found anything helpful to differentiate between them? 

DS looked a bit into what each college requires, for example John Muir requires 2 areas out of 3 in fine arts, foreign languages, and humanities. While he loves the humanities, he doesn't really want to take classes in fine arts and foreign languages are his Achilles heel. (I'm the same, so I feel his pain.) OTOH, he ranked Warren higher because of it's link to internship programs. I guess another aspect, which I don't think he looked into, is the location and dorm buildings of each.

Edited by idnib
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, idnib said:

DS got the UC apps submitted, very late a couple of nights ago. Somehow we didn't realize that UCSD would require him to rank their 8 undergraduate colleges at the time he applied.

DS17 picked the majors and alternative majors in between working on the PIQs so we were aware of having to rank UCSD’s colleges. Still doesn’t make sense to rank before getting accepted.

3 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

Think they left out the 8th college which is probably the newest. Whoever the webmaster is didn’t bother updating.

36 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

They make the transfer applicants rank too though my friends’ kids all start renting outside campus after freshmen year. We just rank from newest to oldest, with anything that is heavy on humanities at the bottom. 
They don’t rank by air quality for us 🤣

• Like 1

DS17 picked the majors and alternative majors in between working on the PIQs so we were aware of having to rank UCSD’s colleges. Still doesn’t make sense to rank before getting accepted.

Think they left out the 8th college which is probably the newest. Whoever the webmaster is didn’t bother updating.

They make the transfer applicants rank too though my friends’ kids all start renting outside campus after freshmen year. We just rank from newest to oldest, with anything that is heavy on humanities at the bottom. 
They don’t rank by air quality for us 🤣

I want to see your ranking 🤕

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Does newest assume least amount of Gen Ed and farthest from campus? 

@idnib@rzberrymom This link has the description for all 8 colleges https://admissions.ucsd.edu/why/colleges/index.html

Quoted portion is for Eighth College

"Scholastic Opportunity

An Eighth education focuses on interdisciplinary approaches to solving issues within the local community and beyond. Eighth students will focus on writing-intensive courses and interdisciplinary research that emphasizes community, wellness, anti-racism and social justice.

Community and Tradition

Eighth College will welcome its inaugural first-year class in fall 2023; the transfer class will enroll beginning in fall 2025. This is a historic opportunity for students to make their mark for generations to come by shaping the college’s community and traditions.

General Education Requirements

The general education framework for Eighth College will include courses curated from departmental offerings, provide breadth and introduction to diverse intellectual traditions. Four college-specific engagement courses will examine communities, critical engagement, and structural racism."

gen ed requirements:

Revelle College https://revelle.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education/index.html

John Muir College https://muir.ucsd.edu/academics/degree_reqs.html

Thurgood Marshall College https://marshall.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education-requirements.html

Earl Warren College https://warren.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education/index.html

Eleanor Roosevelt College https://roosevelt.ucsd.edu/academics/gen-ed/index.html

Sixth College https://sixth.ucsd.edu/academics/requirements/index.html

Seventh College https://seventh.ucsd.edu/academics/degree-requirements/degree-requirements-first.html

Eighth College https://evc.ucsd.edu/_files/Eighth-College-Proposal-Final.pdf

ETA:

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/22/2022 at 8:07 PM, Arcadia said:

@idnib@rzberrymom This link has the description for all 8 colleges https://admissions.ucsd.edu/why/colleges/index.html

Quoted portion is for Eighth College

"Scholastic Opportunity

An Eighth education focuses on interdisciplinary approaches to solving issues within the local community and beyond. Eighth students will focus on writing-intensive courses and interdisciplinary research that emphasizes community, wellness, anti-racism and social justice.

Community and Tradition

Eighth College will welcome its inaugural first-year class in fall 2023; the transfer class will enroll beginning in fall 2025. This is a historic opportunity for students to make their mark for generations to come by shaping the college’s community and traditions.

General Education Requirements

The general education framework for Eighth College will include courses curated from departmental offerings, provide breadth and introduction to diverse intellectual traditions. Four college-specific engagement courses will examine communities, critical engagement, and structural racism."

gen ed requirements:

Revelle College https://revelle.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education/index.html

John Muir College https://muir.ucsd.edu/academics/degree_reqs.html

Thurgood Marshall College https://marshall.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education-requirements.html

Earl Warren College https://warren.ucsd.edu/academics/general-education/index.html

Eleanor Roosevelt College https://roosevelt.ucsd.edu/academics/gen-ed/index.html

Sixth College https://sixth.ucsd.edu/academics/requirements/index.html

Seventh College https://seventh.ucsd.edu/academics/degree-requirements/degree-requirements-first.html

Eighth College https://evc.ucsd.edu/_files/Eighth-College-Proposal-Final.pdf

ETA:

Thank you for the links!!

This seems truly overwhelming. My kiddo has something like 22 UC-transferable courses (but is applying as a freshman because she hasn’t quite completed the IGETC). I can’t believe we have to sort through all those requirements to make sure she wouldn’t have to repeat courses there. What a pain!?!

Edited by rzberrymom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

Thank you for the links!!

This seems truly overwhelming. My kiddo has something like 22 UC-transferable courses (but is applying as a freshman because she hasn’t quite completed the IGETC). I can’t believe we have to sort through all those requirements to make sure she wouldn’t have to repeat courses there. What a pain!?!

It’s confusing. We tried to pick based on campus and realized how ugly all the buildings are down there. Strange. I was always told ucsd was beautiful. Yet DS thinks it’s the ugliest campus he has seen so far. 😞 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

It’s confusing. We tried to pick based on campus and realized how ugly all the buildings are down there. Strange. I was always told ucsd was beautiful. Yet DS thinks it’s the ugliest campus he has seen so far. 😞 

In terms of looks, UCLA feels familiar urban, UCSB feels suburban homely, UCDavis, UCB feels like typical college campus. We didn’t tour the entire UCSD but my friend’s college senior picked there because of the proximity to the beach.  

• Like 3

In terms of looks, UCLA feels familiar urban, UCSB feels suburban homely, UCDavis, UCB feels like typical college campus. We didn’t tour the entire UCSD but my friend’s college senior picked there because of the proximity to the beach.  

I meant the buildings. 

• Like 1