Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

39 minutes ago, Eos said:

Girl I need to up my guidance counselor snack game obviously

I'm just kidding -- LOL.  That bowl went back downstairs -- I kept 2 pieces.  I didn't feel that great after the bowl I had on Monday 🤣!

Today I'm having coffee, apples, Greek yogurt, water, etc.

• Like 3

Twin Question

So, one college that ds applied to wants the CSS filled out. Oh-kay. I've been working my way through but now I am stuck. They want to know what college or university his twin sister is going to be attending and how much that will cost me. Well, I would love to know that too!!! There is no obvious way to handle this. Do I choose the most expensive college she has applied to and then come back to correct if needed (and I remember)? I sent them an email, but I'm thinking the Hive will come through first.

• Like 2

I have good news. The boy has all but one of early action school essays done. So basically this weekend he can submit at least 5 applications (not all required supplemental writing). We are hoping for one more. This has been exhausting.

Now I need to get my act together and figure out Fafsa and CSS. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Twin Question

So, one college that ds applied to wants the CSS filled out. Oh-kay. I've been working my way through but now I am stuck. They want to know what college or university his twin sister is going to be attending and how much that will cost me. Well, I would love to know that too!!! There is no obvious way to handle this. Do I choose the most expensive college she has applied to and then come back to correct if needed (and I remember)? I sent them an email, but I'm thinking the Hive will come through first.

Maybe ask an admissions officer? 

3 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Maybe ask an admissions officer? 

Good thought.

I haven't been a fan of College Board, but the CSS with it's glitchy website, inability to connect with the IRS (can't believe I'm making that statement as a positive), and additional fee for submittal is not winning them any points today! 😀

• Sad 1

My husband is doing FAFSA and CSS.  I need to get on him for that, I suspect he needs at least a little help/info from me.  

We realized this week that because my student had covid and had to push recording videos out several weeks for music admissions, it really only pays to get 2 EA applications in where music and academic admissions are completely separate.  One is a rolling admission and I'm hoping we see that quickly!  Fortunately, I added a note about kid getting covid in the counselor covid impact info.  Not that admissions may overly care but it makes me feel better because many of those apps will still likely be in relatively early.  

• Like 3

All the essays are now reasonable, but not amazing. The goal for tonight is getting them in a format that is easily shared and then getting feedback from some relatives.

DS17 wants me to finish the FAFSA tonight, as apparently all his friends have already submitted theirs. That means we need to nail down his self-employment taxes.

• Like 3

Well...the first 6 EA apps are in (3 for each).  FAFSA is done.  Now to get my stuff finished and uploaded.

We have a few more to go, but the Nov 1st ones are done.  Most of the rest will be super easy. They have one more with an optional essay, which they will do, but that is our only regular decision app and not due until Feb 1st. I'm going to want it submitted around the beginning of December though so these are all of the plate during the holidays.

WHEW - making progress!!!

Keeping going everyone.  We'll get it done!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

I'm so sorry that it is higher than what you expected and were planning for.

Well, it’s not unexpected. We will not borrow and are not expecting much in terms of FA grants. 

With our state lottery scholarship and automatic merit aid covering tuition and fees, Dd can go to either of the public regionals she has been accepted to. She may get some competitive merit aid there too.

Competitive merit aid is the only way she can go to a private school. She knows that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

So certain colleges on Common App require you to input each class by hand? Why???????

Dang it. I am glad I noticed. We have one such college on EA list. 😬

My friend. Oy. It's SO MUCH WORSE than that. A few colleges require students to input their colleges by hand on a totally separate portal that they don't necessarily have access to until they have filed their Common App. So bleeping evil.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

My friend. Oy. It's SO MUCH WORSE than that. A few colleges require students to input their colleges by hand on a totally separate portal that they don't necessarily have access to until they have filed their Common App. So bleeping evil.

Whaaaat? Please name the schools so we can run away from them. This was an accidental discovery. 😬

• Like 1

I submitted the FAFSA last night, which was hard because I also had to file DS17's taxes and pay his self-employment tax. 

On the positive side, while going through old bank statements, I found a check for $331 that he had won at Science Fair with a memo explaining the name of the prize, so now he has another award to list on one of his applications.

He got his essay questions into shareable form and hopefully will wrap them up Friday night!

• Like 6

We had a slight panic yesterday when DD's essay uploaded with question marks instead of "f"s.  Can you imagine?????  And since her passion is film, there were a lot of question marks dotting that essay!  🤣

I shouldn't laugh - it actually uploaded fine and then when we went on to the next section, the issue cropped up.  So it could have easily gone unnoticed.  Luckily we caught it when we reviewed the PDF of the application!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, threedogfarm said:

We had a slight panic yesterday when DD's essay uploaded with question marks instead of "f"s.  Can you imagine?????  And since her passion is film, there were a lot of question marks dotting that essay!  🤣

I shouldn't laugh - it actually uploaded fine and then when we went on to the next section, the issue cropped up.  So it could have easily gone unnoticed.  Luckily we caught it when we reviewed the PDF of the application!

Yikes! Was it a font issue?

We had our own moment of realization yesterday. I've explained to DS the difference between self-reported scores and the official College Board score report. He has been keeping track of which schools wanted an official report. I thought we would look at the list and send them all at once. Well, reading the fine print yesterday in preparation for sending out those reports, apparently College Board only agrees to email score reports on Wednesdays. Since this was Wednesday evening it seemed likely we had missed that ship. For $31 they agree to perhaps send the reports on Friday or Monday. It's just an email, right? There is probably no human being involved in the process at all. The IRS managed to port all my sensitive financial information to FAFSA by request on a Sunday (for no additional charge). If the government can handle that request, surely College Board could send out reports also on demand. Sheesh.

I also realize I did not allocate enough funds in my budget for the cost of applying to colleges. I knew each school would have a fee, but I underestimated the average cost slightly (times twins), and I completely missed some of the other fees that have popped up. Ready to be done with this phase!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, threedogfarm said:

That could have been an interesting phone call to the schools 😆!!!

1 hour ago, threedogfarm said:

Years ago my ds uploaded the same essay in two consecutive paragraphs but still somehow managed to get accepted to an engineering program!

• Like 4

And now I ran into a problem. So when you list high school courses one at a time, there is another category there that says if you have taken courses during middle school that appear on your transcript, please list them under “other.” Simple, right? So when you go to list some of those courses, if wants you to select a year. Only those courses weren’t all taken in the same year, but I have no way of indicating which was taken when because there is only one spot to select a year.

anybody has a clue what to do? 

14 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Boy is it hard to cut down counselor letters 😩! I'm taking stuff out that I'm hoping is in their LOR from their favorite teacher. This is definitely the hardest part of the counselor package!

How long is yours?  Mine is 2 pages, 11 pt type.

I've decided that I only get to use the word "passion" once.  I'm having fun with the synonym list and trying to imagine using the words "ardor" or "zeal" in my guidance letter as I need to get rid of one extra use.

Edited by Eos

57 minutes ago, Eos said:

How long is yours?  Mine is 2 pages, 11 pt type.

I've decided that I only get to use the word "passion" once.  I'm having fun with the synonym list and trying to imagine using the words "ardor" or "zeal" in my guidance letter as I need to get rid of one extra use.

Mine is now under 2 pages 11 pt type.

• Like 3

I'm herding snails!!

Get out of the shower! This is no time to suddenly become focused on personal cleanliness, you still have two essays to write!

Bless their hearts. If they can't get their act together to finish this task, which we have been discussing for at least 3 months, it is probably a neon sign from the universe about maturity and preparedness and maybe anxiety.

I'm trying to use this as a growth opportunity for myself. It would be nice to shake my stress-eating instincts and maybe pick up something in the obsessive exercise or cleaning areas. #goals

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

And now I ran into a problem. So when you list high school courses one at a time, there is another category there that says if you have taken courses during middle school that appear on your transcript, please list them under “other.” Simple, right? So when you go to list some of those courses, if wants you to select a year. Only those courses weren’t all taken in the same year, but I have no way of indicating which was taken when because there is only one spot to select a year.

anybody has a clue what to do? 

List them as 8th grade. That's what I've seen suggested many times.

Glad you got someone else to hit submit, lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

List them as 8th grade. That's what I've seen suggested many times.

Glad you got someone else to hit submit, lol.

My DS figured out if he clicks on “create new transcript,” he can recreate that screen so we managed to list them under correct year. 

Now if we could only figure out how to account for his current CTY class that he is taking out of his legal school, we might just hit that submit today. 😋

I am going to get some real confetti and start throwing it around the house. Halloween is near anyway. Nobody will think I have gone mad. 🤣

Today the day we submit at least two of them. 🤞

• Like 6

So our middle school courses appear on DS’s homeschool high school transcript. When you enter high school courses by hand, it asks to list all courses that appear on your transcript that you haven’t listed. I don’t see how one would list courses that didn’t already appear on transcript. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

@Farrar Speaking of middle school transcripts, DS17 took Number Theory, Counting and Probability, and Precalculus from AoPS in 8th grade. I hadn't thought of adding a middle school transcript. Guess we probably should, since he's looking at Math/CS majors...

@Farrar will know better about this, but in my state VA, we can include high school level classes in science/lab, foreign language, and/or math taken in 8th grade only. 

My county includes them on the public school transcripts so I included them on mine.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

@Farrar will know better about this, but in my state VA, we can include high school level classes in science/lab, foreign language, and/or math taken in 8th grade only. 

My county includes them on the public school transcripts so I included them on mine.

In CA only math and foreign language, so that’s what we included as well. We left out science because CA doesn’t allow high school science credit in middle. 

• Like 1

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for being here and posting. It is nice to go through this process together and be there to help, answer questions, and provide support! It is a huge help to me as I've no one in real life to discuss this with as my boys' friends are all in public school and their parents are super sweet, but don't understand the whole homeschooling thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

But that rule is only for public schools. Privates and you can actually do what you like. Colleges can consider it however they want.

I agree that it's good to generally follow the schools on this one though. Having a ton of middle school classes undermines a transcript. I would include AoPS classes above Algebra taken in middle school though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for being here and posting. It is nice to go through this process together and be there to help, answer questions, and provide support! It is a huge help to me as I've no one in real life to discuss this with as my boys' friends are all in public school and their parents are super sweet, but don't understand the whole homeschooling thing.

I feel exactly the same. This thread is helping me stay sane. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So here is another dumb question of the day - is self reporting SAT scores enough until after acceptance? or should I be requesting official score to be sent to individual schools? 

If the school allows self-reported scores I can’t imagine there is any advantage to sending them in before acceptance. Save your money.

• Thanks 1