Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

19 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I may be opening a hard apple cider and spending this exciting Saturday night on the essays. 🤣

I’ve been at it all day today and I can’t do anymore. I will get a fresh start tomorrow morning.  

Good luck with the essays!  That hard apple cider should help for sure!!!

I’ve been doubting myself looking at my documents. Then I remember how many times I’ve heard how little time AOs actually spend looking at each kid’s application package.  

• Like 4

You would think that the child of a college consultant would know better, but... Sigh. Mushroom literally texted me yesterday that he had a thing that reminded him that he finished all his applications a year ago and was his brother done with all of his? Lol, he hasn't filed a SINGLE ONE. 

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Farrar said:

You would think that the child of a college consultant would know better, but... Sigh. Mushroom literally texted me yesterday that he had a thing that reminded him that he finished all his applications a year ago and was his brother done with all of his? Lol, he hasn't filed a SINGLE ONE. 

I went from ordering him to begging to screaming to begging. The result? He has a draft he says. 
Tomorrow morning we do the same dance. I am mentally preparing for all the drama. Hard apple cider sounds just amazing about now. 
This kid has most definitely attention issues with strong avoidance behavior. He is now studying for AP bio test that isn’t happening for another 3 weeks! All while the application time bomb is ticking. 😤

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Farrar said:

BalletBoy’s essays are like amazing. Genuinely, y’all. I often underestimate this kid and he surprises me. Now, if only he wasn’t a wait till the last second kind of person.

Rub it in! 🤣🤣🤣

Just joking. I am happy for the BalletBoy

I can’t bring myself to read what my sloth has done. Maybe tomorrow morning. I need to be able to fall asleep. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Rub it in! 🤣🤣🤣

Just joking. I am happy for the BalletBoy

I can’t bring myself to read what my sloth has done. Maybe tomorrow morning. I need to be able to fall asleep. 

I mean, everything else is meh. Decent but not great transcript, weirdly unbalanced activity list (how do you say "ballet" for 7 activity slots?), bleh template single teacher letter of rec, very mediocre test score that can't even be sent everywhere. So at least he has something that will blow someone's socks off if they read it. Your kid's going to have a lot more not meh things. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I mean, everything else is meh. Decent but not great transcript, weirdly unbalanced activity list (how do you say "ballet" for 7 activity slots?), bleh template single teacher letter of rec, very mediocre test score that can't even be sent everywhere. So at least he has something that will blow someone's socks off if they read it. Your kid's going to have a lot more not meh things. 😉

I hear you on ballet for 7 slots. 🤣 I have musicians. My younger kid will have music for all ten. 😉

• Like 2

Expert at workforce productivity gains - proven results with unique multi level approach to compel workers to finish a month long task over a single weekend. Particularly skilled at staying on task and seeing work to its finish even when goals seem unattainable. 

This will be my lead on my resume after this weekend is over. I have 28 minutes to enjoy my morning coffee and then my first round of attack commences! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Good luck today!  

Are any of you working on a resume?  I'm trying to figure that out.  

I think the vast majority of students don't need a resume. But it depends on your kid and the schools. Usually the activity list is absolutely enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Today ds discovered the confetti at the end of submission. Yay!

DD, on the other hand, seems to be front loading the fun in her day. 🫤

I just spent 3 hours with 1 kid going through his 1st three applications in Common App. He is very appreciative of me at the moment and is very impressed with my course descriptions 😁!

The other kid has been playing video games since he woke up 🤐!  His turn is next!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I hear you on ballet for 7 slots. 🤣 I have musicians. My younger kid will have music for all ten. 😉

Ahhh, you all are making me feel better. I kind of panicked when I realized my kiddo had voice for 7 of the activity slots. And she’s not applying to a single conservatory. 😳

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Expert at workforce productivity gains - proven results with unique multi level approach to compel workers to finish a month long task over a single weekend. Particularly skilled at staying on task and seeing work to its finish even when goals seem unattainable. 

Ha!  It sounds like you will make an excellent freelancer if you can apply that method to yourself!  I have felt like that all weekend. Last week I juggled my freelance work with my kid's app and the stuff I had to write.  And now I have to play catch up. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I'm thinking how boring my life is going to be this time next year when both of my kids are off to their freshman year at college.  I think I'll be ok with it 😁!

We can have a party! Class of ‘23 boardie moms having fun! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I'm thinking how boring my life is going to be this time next year when both of my kids are off to their freshman year at college.  I think I'll be ok with it 😁!

Boring? I am going to the beach next year right this time and spending a week with my girlfriends sipping margaritas and dancing by the warm waters of the Caribbean! Oh, the girl can dream! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

With every passing day, my expectation of quality is going down. I started out hoping for good work. Now all I care is “get it done.” 

Just remember they will spend 10-20 minutes on each application.  And we are spending hours, days, and months 😋!

• Like 3

On 10/20/2022 at 5:13 PM, Roadrunner said:

Apparently I have a sloth at home. 

Oh my gosh, living parallel lives!  My first born applied for twice as many schools and now it it is clear why.  She.Is.Driving.Me.Bananas.  

This kid is a talented writer.   Heck, she writes fan fic and shares it widely for fun.  He common app essay is beautiful.  Writing college supplements?  Suddenly writing like a 10 year old again.  LOL.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

My procrastinator, who still has HALF of their planned applications waiting in the "to-do" pile, just got an acceptance at a safety school. Not sure if this will inspire action or justify further delays. I'm still waiting for the wave of relief to wash over me?

🎉🎉🎉🎉

Start the acceptance thread for this year! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We just got jolted by an earthquake. For a minute there I sat wondering if it was a real earthquake or I was imagining things from stress.

I saw the news but didn’t feel it, guess it was closer to you than us.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

With every passing day, my expectation of quality is going down. I started out hoping for good work. Now all I care is “get it done.” 

You just expressed what I’ve been thinking. May even have to drop a couple of schools and push it to RD. And these schools are not even selective, but there’s barely enough time to whittle down the personal essay which is at 2500 words. I told Dd this is not therapy writing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

I saw the news but didn’t feel it, guess it was closer to you than us.

You just expressed what I’ve been thinking. May even have to drop a couple of schools and push it to RD. And these schools are not even selective, but there’s barely enough time to whittle down the personal essay which is at 2500 words. I told Dd this is not therapy writing. 

Did you mean 250 words? because if she has produced 2500 words , you have got yourself 5 essays! 🤣

• Haha 2

Okay. Most applications in. BalletBoy is out at the 9:30 tonight and has a show Thurs/Fri and a 12 hour work day on Saturday so let's hope he gets those last two in on Sunday so we can go enjoy Halloween. I told every one of my clients "I don't read essays on Halloween" and if my own kid makes a liar of me, I'll lose it.

Also, with the shakeup at his ballet last week, I don't even know that he's going to go to college. So. Whatever.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Okay. Most applications in. BalletBoy is out at the 9:30 tonight and has a show Thurs/Fri and a 12 hour work day on Saturday so let's hope he gets those last two in on Sunday so we can go enjoy Halloween. I told every one of my clients "I don't read essays on Halloween" and if my own kid makes a liar of me, I'll lose it.

Also, with the shakeup at his ballet last week, I don't even know that he's going to go to college. So. Whatever.

I hope it’s a positive shakeup and he gets to dance professionally!!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I mean, who knows. He thinks it could weirdly be good for him, but it was big drama.

🤞🤞🤞 I know how tiny dance world is and how hard to get professional jobs and how short the career, so keeping him in my thoughts. All of those years of hard work!!!! There is always time for college and boring jobs. 

• Like 3

OK, today is the day.  Dd has no classes til 6 pm and it's going to pour rain.  All I did yesterday was deep clean the house and gather the FAFSA/CSS info. We both agreed that today would be all college app, plus a little tea and chocolate.

Dd is going to edit her essay to the point of sending it to her brother to read, and I'm going to finish and upload my school profile, guidance letter, and do the FAFSA and CSS.

Still to do: attach various bits to the portfolio then upload, upload an arts/dance supplement, and get her DE transcript requested.  Hit submit.  Watch the confetti.

"I'm not panicking, I'm freaking out" -- Julia Roberts in one of the Ocean's movies.

• Like 3