Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

I am now realizing that my DS only submitted common app to some schools and not writing supplements (which he uploaded but didn't finalize), so clicking submit buttons frantically now to get those supplements in. Double check guys to make sure same isn't happening in your portals. 

• Like 6

Just to ease my mind, I submitted all my counselor stuff last night for 3 EA deadlines of tonight.  I know it was received by one of the schools.  Another school doesn't say what docs were received or not, just that the applications are incomplete.  We should be good thought, correct? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Just to ease my mind, I submitted all my counselor stuff last night for 3 EA deadlines of tonight.  I know it was received by one of the schools.  Another school doesn't say what docs were received or not, just that the applications are incomplete.  We should be good thought, correct? 

I think so. The fact that one school received it means the system is working at the Common App level.

Earlier this week I got 4 emails on the same day from a single university (that I have erased from my working memory) and they all said, in essence, "THE APPLICATION IS INCOMPLETE! p.s. it might be us, we need at least 2 weeks to process all the documents so if you've submitted everything just ignore this." (X4) I imagine you are just in this position but without the adrenaline-spiking emails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Congrats everyone for getting those EA/ED apps in!  Kiddo got 3 EA apps in hooray!  And pushed go on a 4th that allows for a later writing supplement.  That needs to be RD due to music stuff (other 3 decouple academic/music admissions).  She is ready to roll on another RD admission too.  After paying big bucks for her first two apps, I was delighted these 2nd two didn't have app fees.  

She also got a rolling admission to our state flagship yesterday!   Which is a HUGE load off my mind.  That is really a match school for her and she applied test optional.  She is working with a music prof there so though music admissions isn't guaranteed, I was worried more on the academic side than the music side.  Music admissions are ridiculous everywhere for vocal though.  That also means we can drop her safest safety off the list.  It also means she may have time to add another school (or possibly two)!  HOORAY!  It also makes me feel a bit more confident of all materials being into the common app reasonably well. 

She can't do ED, we really need the ability to compare financial offers not to mention lots of music programs don't have an ED/EA option.  I actually think auditioning early for music can be a disadvantage for some students, we had some regrets about one EA with my older kid.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, catz said:

Congrats everyone for getting those EA/ED apps in!  Kiddo got 3 EA apps in hooray!  And pushed go on a 4th that allows for a later writing supplement.  That needs to be RD due to music stuff (other 3 decouple academic/music admissions).  She is ready to roll on another RD admission too.  After paying big bucks for her first two apps, I was delighted these 2nd two didn't have app fees.  

She also got a rolling admission to our state flagship yesterday!   Which is a HUGE load off my mind.  That is really a match school for her and she applied test optional.  She is working with a music prof there so though music admissions isn't guaranteed, I was worried more on the academic side than the music side.  Music admissions are ridiculous everywhere for vocal though.  That also means we can drop her safest safety off the list.  It also means she may have time to add another school (or possibly two)!  HOORAY!  It also makes me feel a bit more confident of all materials being into the common app reasonably well. 

She can't do ED, we really need the ability to compare financial offers not to mention lots of music programs don't have an ED/EA option.  I actually think auditioning early for music can be a disadvantage for some students, we had some regrets about one EA with my older kid.

I’m curious about the vocal admissions stuff. Classical voice or musical theater? We’ve had the sense that vocal programs are so flooded with applications from musical theater kids that they seemed almost relieved to have a classical voice kid come through. We’re really new to this though.

And can you tell me more about the disadvantage for some kids auditioning early?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

I’m curious about the vocal admissions stuff. Classical voice or musical theater? We’ve had the sense that vocal programs are so flooded with applications from musical theater kids that they seemed almost relieved to have a classical voice kid come through. We’re really new to this though.

And can you tell me more about the disadvantage for some kids auditioning early?

She is applying classical voice, though lots of VP undergrad applicants have more MT background just because some those programs are more common for teenagers.  I also think for opera oriented programs it might be hard to balance?  Like choir kids might have a different performance skill set than a vocally strong MT oriented student?  My kid has done a ton of MT but her voice is more naturally classically oriented.  I think there are so many applicants for vocal, teachers can really be picky about what their programs need, who they'd like to work with in their studios, etc.  I really feel lucky that this kid is already working with a prof in private lessons!  

So the story with my 1st kid who also applied vocal is kind of interesting.  If you want the long version feel free to PM me.  But in general terms, he applied for a couple smaller liberal arts schools w/strong music conservatory type program.   They had more involved music admission days.  For both of them, it was SO clear that staff/faculty were working to woo more unusual applicants.  Like that were from further flung locales, brought some other diversity to campus, unusual instruments, etc.  Which is totally fine of course and not to be unexpected. And to be clear he did get into both of those schools.  The early action one in particular, the music end wasn't what he was hoping for and I absolutely think as a "boring" but very highly qualified applicant, he may have fared better if he had waited until RD auditions.  I really got the feel at those EA auditions they were hand picking high qualified but unusual candidates at this one school but needed to leave space for other audition dates. It's actually kind of put me off schools that do it that way because it's a bit of a game.   ETA - and to be clear, it turned out fine, a particular music teacher at a school gave him plenty of money and personal woo-ing! LOL. 

Anyway - I'm happy to PM more with college names etc or chat about music admissions.  I got freaked out during the process last time by being able to easily recognize someone from a college music board at auditions so I am trying not to put too much personal info on the interwebs, at least during the admissions/audition process.  🙂  Do you have a music applicant this year? 

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, catz said:

She is applying classical voice, though lots of VP undergrad applicants have more MT background just because some those programs are more common for teenagers.  I also think for opera oriented programs it might be hard to balance?  Like choir kids might have a different performance skill set than a vocally strong MT oriented student?  My kid has done a ton of MT but her voice is more naturally classically oriented.  I think there are so many applicants for vocal, teachers can really be picky about what their programs need, who they'd like to work with in their studios, etc.  I really feel lucky that this kid is already working with a prof in private lessons!  

So the story with my 1st kid who also applied vocal is kind of interesting.  If you want the long version feel free to PM me.  But in general terms, he applied for a couple smaller liberal arts schools w/strong music conservatory type program.   They had more involved music admission days.  For both of them, it was SO clear that staff/faculty were working to woo more unusual applicants.  Like that were from further flung locales, brought some other diversity to campus, unusual instruments, etc.  Which is totally fine of course and not to be unexpected. And to be clear he did get into both of those schools.  The early action one in particular, the music end wasn't what he was hoping for and I absolutely think as a "boring" but very highly qualified applicant, he may have fared better if he had waited until RD auditions.  I really got the feel at those EA auditions they were hand picking high qualified but unusual candidates at this one school but needed to leave space for other audition dates. It's actually kind of put me off schools that do it that way because it's a bit of a game.   ETA - and to be clear, it turned out fine, a particular music teacher at a school gave him plenty of money and personal woo-ing! LOL. 

Anyway - I'm happy to PM more with college names etc or chat about music admissions.  I got freaked out during the process last time by being able to easily recognize someone from a college music board at auditions so I am trying not to put too much personal info on the interwebs, at least during the admissions/audition process.  🙂  Do you have a music applicant this year? 

I have an opera VP kiddo. When she had trial lessons, many of the professors seemed relieved that it wasn’t another MT kid. Although, it gave my DD a big, disappointing reality check, that VP programs may be very MT dominated, rather than full of opera and choir kids.

My kiddo hasn’t even been sure where the heck to apply. She’s a STEM kid and has 5 years of dual-enrollment, so she needs a big school with a PhD program for when she runs out of undergrad classes in her STEM field. But she also wants that perfect opera teacher to keep up her skills in case she ever wants a MM in VP. And fantastic choirs that tour. 🙄 I’m guessing she’ll land at one of our big state schools.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I don't think my fafsa is right. I went to correct it and I think it's even wonkier. I tried to go in again, and I think I am shut out of the page. How many times are we allowed to correct it? 

No advice, but I’m so sorry you are having so much trouble with this part 😩.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

I have an opera VP kiddo. When she had trial lessons, many of the professors seemed relieved that it wasn’t another MT kid. Although, it gave my DD a big, disappointing reality check, that VP programs may be very MT dominated, rather than full of opera and choir kids.

My kiddo hasn’t even been sure where the heck to apply. She’s a STEM kid and has 5 years of dual-enrollment, so she needs a big school with a PhD program for when she runs out of undergrad classes in her STEM field. But she also wants that perfect opera teacher to keep up her skills in case she ever wants a MM in VP. And fantastic choirs that tour. 🙄 I’m guessing she’ll land at one of our big state schools.

Oh, she sounds a lot like my older kid.  He did get the most love from big mostly public universities with good schools of music.  AND he was able to transfer in a lot of DE credits.  He is going to graduate with a BS Comp Sci and a BS Music next spring (allegedly lol).  He would have happily done another major or 2.   I know some of the LACs we were looking at would only bring in like a semester and a half worth of credits.  It also seemed less like schools with grad programs were as fussy with their undergrads in terms of institutional needs.  Like my kid has had a lot of leeway with what he is going to spend time on musically.  He's actually in a performing touring college group, but it isn't a choir!  I suspect he will want to go to grad school but I have no idea in what.  Probably not VP though!

My kid this year is more like on a dedicated music path.  Even though she has an MT background she sings a lot of classical and is super interested in opera.  I mean they have to come in with classical for audition so if that's really not something you've worked on and prepped, maybe you get eliminated from the process pretty fast?  She may double major but it would be incidental based on how many DE credits she would bring in and it would not be in STEM.  She is interested in history, theater, lit, etc.  She is interested right now in an MM actually - she can totally see herself teaching, performing, running non profits.  She totally has the personality for it,  she's pretty confident.

We are struggling with list too!  I want to allow her some reaches but they feel like a waste of time (financially if nothing else).  We have our flagship and another flagship that has reciprocity.  A couple LACs.  DePaul in Chicago (she had a fantastic and very encouraging sample lesson there, WAY exceeded expectations).  And we're waffling on 2-3 more.  Maybe somewhere fun to visit in the winter if nothing else!  😂

Definitely feel free to PM me to lament this dumb process if you want!  🙂  

Edited by catz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rzberrymom said:

Have you looked at Carnegie Mellon? 
We keep being told it’s huge in music and science. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rzberrymom said:

You may need to "shop" a bit for a school if you want to bring in as many credits as possible. One of the reasons my dd graduated early was that as an engineering student she was pretty much out of transferrable DE she could do. She had one class left that she could take that would transfer directly. ETA- I think engineering programs are pickier in general because of ABET accreditation. 

I think she only had one class that went in undistributed, and we know that when she took it. (Business applications).

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I don't think my fafsa is right. I went to correct it and I think it's even wonkier. I tried to go in again, and I think I am shut out of the page. How many times are we allowed to correct it? 

Every time you change it, it has to be “processed”. Only when that is complete, can you go back in to edit. I learned this the hard way.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Have you looked at Carnegie Mellon? 
We keep being told it’s huge in music and science. 

My oldest kid did a sample lesson at CM and looked carefully at it.  And of course it is a great school and program!

But there was one thing we noticed.  Not specifically at CM, but at some programs that broadly advertised the ability to double major/degree with music.  And I'm especially aware of it now that I have a 2nd music applicant that is a more traditional music centered student.  What we noticed is that the students that come in dedicated to double major are looked at a little differently by some music profs.  And I am sure this is mostly true in popular instruments/vocal tracks - I think CMs acceptance rate is like 5%.  We definitely got the feeling some music profs would definitely prefer their music undergrads did not have their hands in 2 worlds.  And this just may vary by prof, like we didn't always even get a consistent vibe for this talking to 3 different people in the same department.  But music admissions rolls by clicking with a prof/music department generally.

Anyway, for students that are just the deeply academic type that REALLY want the ability to study something else with music, definitely ask the hard questions in your sample lessons.  I think we wasted some time on some apps where it was maybe clear from a sample lesson that my kid had a super positive lesson until he mentioned he was interested in double degree.  🙄

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

You may need to "shop" a bit for a school if you want to bring in as many credits as possible. One of the reasons my dd graduated early was that as an engineering student she was pretty much out of transferrable DE she could do. She had one class left that she could take that would transfer directly. ETA- I think engineering programs are pickier in general because of ABET accreditation. 

I think she only had one class that went in undistributed, and we know that when she took it. (Business applications).

She’s ok with not being able to bring in her credits—she mainly wants to be able to place out of a lot of the lower division STEM stuff. For example, she took the American Chemical Society exam, which I believe is a pre-req for medical school, so she’s hoping that will make the case for placing out of the lower division chemistry stuff. We’ll see. I keep telling her she has to get in before we worry too much about this stuff. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, catz said:

My oldest kid did a sample lesson at CM and looked carefully at it.  And of course it is a great school and program!

But there was one thing we noticed.  Not specifically at CM, but at some programs that broadly advertised the ability to double major/degree with music.  And I'm especially aware of it now that I have a 2nd music applicant that is a more traditional music centered student.  What we noticed is that the students that come in dedicated to double major are looked at a little differently by some music profs.  And I am sure this is mostly true in popular instruments/vocal tracks - I think CMs acceptance rate is like 5%.  We definitely got the feeling some music profs would definitely prefer their music undergrads did not have their hands in 2 worlds.  And this just may vary by prof, like we didn't always even get a consistent vibe for this talking to 3 different people in the same department.  But music admissions rolls by clicking with a prof/music department generally.

Anyway, for students that are just the deeply academic type that REALLY want the ability to study something else with music, definitely ask the hard questions in your sample lessons.  I think we wasted some time on some apps where it was maybe clear from a sample lesson that my kid had a super positive lesson until he mentioned he was interested in double degree.  🙄

I’ve had this sense with a few schools too. She’s had luck with schools that either have a vocal performance certificate or minor, rather than a double-degree. Those schools have seemed totally fine with a focus on STEM while also working to keep up your VP skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

She’s a STEM kid and has 5 years of dual-enrollment, so she needs a big school with a PhD program for when she runs out of undergrad classes in her STEM field. But she also wants that perfect opera teacher to keep up her skills in case she ever wants a MM in VP. And fantastic choirs that tour.

Love all this!

• Like 1

Another little thing we discovered in the morning. Some schools suppress self reported common app scores and want you to self report them in the portal. And apparently there is a lot more to SAT scores than just reading and math. Took a while here to find where all the little sub parts of that exam were located and report them. So just saying it here in case it’s useful for anybody. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Another little thing we discovered in the morning. Some schools suppress self reported common app scores and want you to self report them in the portal. And apparently there is a lot more to SAT scores than just reading and math. Took a while here to find where all the little sub parts of that exam were located and report them. So just saying it here in case it’s useful for anybody. 

How did you find this out?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

DS opened the portal today and it said they were still waiting on the self reporting scores and had a place where to fill out info. So now that he submitted it, it gives him green check. 

I guess the lesson here is to set up all the portals and carefully go through them.

Rose has his scores listed from Common App for example. This school, didn’t. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

And I just went to look at the PDF of completed applications and sure enough, two of them suppressed SAT scores and those are the two that asked them in the portal. The rest show SAT scores on PDF of the application. So I guess the easiest way is to review those PDFs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I think RIT’s own application asked the subparts so I gave up since we’re going to apply during the next deadline.

Dd submitted an application at 11:58 57 seconds pm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

DS opened the portal today and it said they were still waiting on the self reporting scores and had a place where to fill out info. So now that he submitted it, it gives him green check. 

I guess the lesson here is to set up all the portals and carefully go through them.

Rose has his scores listed from Common App for example. This school, didn’t. 

Did all your schools send an email with portals? I think we received 2 maybe. Rose and somewhere else. I completely forgot that we only get 20 colleges. Not that we need all the spots, but some of the supplemental essays are easily interchangeable with no application fees and DD’s friends are either there or applying, so she’s submitted or will. Like Purdue, RIT and Rose. Eventually Lawrence, and only because we hit the 11:59pm deadline and couldn’t finish up Lawrence supps.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Did all your schools send an email with portals? I think we received 2 maybe. Rose and somewhere else. I completely forgot that we only get 20 colleges. Not that we need all the spots, but some of the supplemental essays are easily interchangeable with no application fees and DD’s friends are either there or applying, so she’s submitted or will. Like Purdue, RIT and Rose. Eventually Lawrence, and only because we hit the 11:59pm deadline and couldn’t finish up Lawrence supps.

I think he got for some but not all. I think every school will eventually have a portal. I don’t know. 

• Like 1

Well we had a wild night. Yesterday DS got an email for a school he was planning to apply to anyway, waiving the fee, simplifying the application, and putting him into automatic consideration for scholarships without having to apply separately if he applied by midnight. Huge scramble (unnecessary in my mind, but it's not my process) missed the submission deadline when he couldn't find his ss number, but managed to submit it two minutes late. Super stressful for me. After that I had a hard time sleeping because it sort of awakened my latent fears about this whole process. Wake up this morning after a night of terrible sleep, and he tells me they extended it another day. No wonder it went through last night. But we could have finished it today. Yeah.

For those of you doing Cal State, one of them sent an email today asking about our homeschool and wanting a web site. Hmmm. Anyway, DS told them we will send everything in a few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

Did all your schools send an email with portals?

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I think he got for some but not all. I think every school will eventually have a portal. I don’t know. 

They all do and they list all the stuff they  require there with checkmarks on those they already received. Each UC and each CSU has their own portals. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, catz said:

from a college music board 

If this is an online forum, could I please know what forum it is? (or I could be misunderstanding what "board" means here altogether). I have a son wanting to double major (in music and a STEM subject) in a couple of years and I might need to start researching on it soon. Thanks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mathnerd said:

If this is an online forum, could I please know what forum it is? (or I could be misunderstanding what "board" means here altogether). I have a son wanting to double major (in music and a STEM subject) in a couple of years and I might need to start researching on it soon. Thanks!

I will PM you when I'm sitting down at a real keyboard with some links.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, idnib said:

For those of you doing Cal State, one of them sent an email today asking about our homeschool and wanting a web site. Hmmm. Anyway, DS told them we will send everything in a few days.

SJSU rejected DS17’s freshman application last year in January 2022 stating he didn’t submit his community college transcript. The official reason on MySJSU was “withdrawn - lower division transfer”. Also his to-do list for his last year’s application had community college final transcript listed with a due date of 7/15/2022. 

His current application shows incomplete and did not show transcripts are required. However somewhere else on their website says to send in any community college transcripts that shows that an associate degree has been awarded. At $7 a transcript via Parchment, we just sent his transcript to SJSU and SLO. We can afford to send an updated one in December after his Fall finals results are out.

We won’t ask for a website last year but we did upload the PSA and his CHSPE to their portal.

20 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Imagine how I would wake on the 31st of November to discover it doesn’t exist and deadline has come and gone. 🤣

To be fair DS17’s birthday is on Dec 1st so it is easy for me to remember.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

@Arcadiayour boy’s experience is the main reason I won’t touch CSU system for my kids, homeschool or not. It’s absolutely ridiculous what they did, and gives me no confidence in anything else they have to offer. I am still angry for you. 

SJSU apparently doesn’t take lower division transfer but I don’t think that’s obvious unless someone reads the page explaining the meaning of all the application statuses. 

https://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/admission-status/undergraduate-application-status.php

”Withdrawn - Lower Div Status

The application has been withdrawn because the freshman applicant has earned college credit beyond the summer immediately following high school graduation, which means the student is a lower-division transfer applicant. SJSU does not accept applications from domestic lower-division transfer applicants. [WLDT]”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

SJSU apparently doesn’t take lower division transfer but I don’t think that’s obvious unless someone reads the page explaining the meaning of all the application statuses. 

https://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/admission-status/undergraduate-application-status.php

”Withdrawn - Lower Div Status

The application has been withdrawn because the freshman applicant has earned college credit beyond the summer immediately following high school graduation, which means the student is a lower-division transfer applicant. SJSU does not accept applications from domestic lower-division transfer applicants. [WLDT]”

What about all those public high schoolers that are taking a ton of DE courses? I still fail to understand what their issues was. Are they basically saying no DE unless it's over the summer? I have a hard time believing they are rejecting PS kids with DE credits. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

@Arcadiayour boy’s experience is the main reason I won’t touch CSU system for my kids, homeschool or not. It’s absolutely ridiculous what they did, and gives me no confidence in anything else they have to offer. I am still angry for you. 

Oh goodness, I grew up in that area and my parents stayed and heard nothing but HORROR stories from people about the horrible "advising" they got from SJSU (circa 2000-2010), often leading to years of extra schooling.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

What about all those public high schoolers that are taking a ton of DE courses? I still fail to understand what their issues was. Are they basically saying no DE unless it's over the summer? I have a hard time believing they are rejecting PS kids with DE credits. 

I think they took his high school graduation date or CHSPE exam date, whichever is earlier.  Public and private school kids won’t have this issue. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think they took his high school graduation date or CHSPE exam date, whichever is earlier.  Public and private school kids won’t have this issue. 

But they should be competent enough to know that a student can pass a CHSPE exam and still not graduate. I mean these people are gatekeepers to institutions of higher learning and can’t figure this little out? I have heard more horror stories from CSU system. It’s really inexcusable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

SJSU rejected DS17’s freshman application last year in January 2022 stating he didn’t submit his community college transcript. The official reason on MySJSU was “withdrawn - lower division transfer”. Also his to-do list for his last year’s application had community college final transcript listed with a due date of 7/15/2022. 

His current application shows incomplete and did not show transcripts are required. However somewhere else on their website says to send in any community college transcripts that shows that an associate degree has been awarded. At $7 a transcript via Parchment, we just sent his transcript to SJSU and SLO. We can afford to send an updated one in December after his Fall finals results are out.

We won’t ask for a website last year but we did upload the PSA and his CHSPE to their portal.

Thank you. DS only started community college DE this fall. (Both of his classes have labs and he didn't want to take classes without the lab component during COVID, when all classes were online.) He did some DE through CLRC for the last 2 years though. Are you saying I should go ahead and send the transcripts from the CLRC DE just in case, and the community college ones once the semester is over? He doesn't have an AA or anything.