Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

45 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So here is another dumb question of the day - is self reporting SAT scores enough until after acceptance? or should I be requesting official score to be sent to individual schools? 

That depends on the school!

One of the schools my guys are applying to, they want official scores by the EA deadline (Nov 1st). This school is test optional, but they need the scores by then to be considered in the application package and any merit aid. I called and verified they received them last week. 

One other school has begun requiring them for homeschoolers again (after a break for Covid). They want official scores sent from CB. Their EA deadline is Nov 15th.

The rest of our schools allow self-reporting and will want official scores before they start school there.

Hope this helps!

Edited by mlktwins
ETA: typos

34 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Hopefully the last dumb question of the day - Is it possible to submit student portion prior to submitting counselor and school profile portion? 

Not dumb at all.  Yes, because we did it on Wednesday. He should type in your "counselor" email address and your name. You will receive an email to establish a CB counselor/recommender account and that is where you upload your documents.  

14 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

That depends on the school!

Of the schools my guys are applying to, they want official scores by the EA deadline (Nov 1st). This school is test optional, but they need the scores by then to be considered in the application package and any merit aid. I called and verified they received them last week. 

One other school has begun requiring them for homeschoolers again (after a break for Covid). They want official scores sent from CB. Their EA deadline is Nov 15th.

The rest of our schools allow self-reporting and will want official scores before they start school there.

Hope this helps!

Oh gosh. Let me go check now. 

Edited by Roadrunner

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

So here is another dumb question of the day - is self reporting SAT scores enough until after acceptance? or should I be requesting official score to be sent to individual schools? 

I disagree with the advice and I went and sent scores to every single school (ETA: to avoid the scenarios Sebastian mentions below). In for a penny, in for a pound. If I had your scores I’d even send them to schools my kid was NOT applying to🤣🤣 I would beat some sort of drum In the street frankly and almost did when we got his last score.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Please check with each individual college.

To my great frustration I found that about half the colleges my students are applying to still required official scores from College Board or ACT. Sometimes this was very tough to figure out and required calling admissions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for being here and posting. It is nice to go through this process together and be there to help, answer questions, and provide support! It is a huge help to me as I've no one in real life to discuss this with as my boys' friends are all in public school and their parents are super sweet, but don't understand the whole homeschooling thing.

That friend speaks my mind.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Oh gosh. Let me go check now. 

What did you find out? Your post prompted me to go check all our schools again.  One with a Dec 1st deadline requires them sent from CB and one other "I think" needs them by Nov 15th.  I have an email into that school.

11 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

What did you find out? Your post prompted me to go check all our schools again.  One with a Dec 1st deadline requires them sent from CB and one other "I think" needs them by Nov 15th.  I have an email into that school.

None of them are requiring official scores. All are asking for self reporting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

And the prize for the dumbest question of the day goes to me for this last one - when they say it’s due on Nov. 1st, does it mean at the end of the day? So we have Monday and Tuesday? 

I believe so (it may depend on the school), but I'm planning to be done by Sunday or Monday afternoon just in case the Common App gets glitchy on Tuesday.

ETA: If he has his them ready to go, he should go ahead and submit. Then get your stuff uploaded.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

And the prize for the dumbest question of the day goes to me for this last one - when they say it’s due on Nov. 1st, does it mean at the end of the day? So we have Monday and Tuesday? 

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/When-is-the-deadline-for-my-application-submission

“When is the deadline for my application submission?

To meet an application deadline, you must submit your application materials by 11:59 pm on the deadline date posted on your Dashboard. The end of the deadline date is in your local time zone, not the college's time zone. Keep in mind, all timestamps are recorded in EST (US Eastern Standard Time).
….

Example 2:
You are in California and have an application with a deadline of January 1. You have until 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time January 1 to submit your application.

Example 3:
You are in Shanghai and have an application with a deadline of January 2. You have until 11:59 pm China Standard Time January 2 to submit your application.

As always, it is best to be familiar with college-specific deadline dates, which can be found in several places:

- On the College Search Tab, click on "Application Requirements"

- On the Requirements Grid

- On your Dashboard and My Colleges tabs, after you have added a college and selected a term and admission plan”
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, idnib said:

Anyone else's kid filling out too many applications? DS has the Common App, Cal State, UC, and 2 schools that each have their own app.

UCs and Common App here. I refuse to deal with Cal State system. And I think mine is too overworked to deal with schools with their own apps. After this weekend attention moves to UC app and then back to common app.

39 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

UCs and Common App here. I refuse to deal with Cal State system. And I think mine is too overworked to deal with schools with their own apps. After this weekend attention moves to UC app and then back to common app.

DS submitted Cal State yesterday, He applied to multiple schools since he had already done the work, but really think if Cal Poly SLO wasn't on there he probably would have skipped the entire app.

• Like 3

Does Rose-Hulman allow self reporting? All the colleges we are considering are test optional but it seems USC requires an applicant to submit scores from CB if SAT is part of the application, but Santa Clara University only requires self reporting. If a college doesn’t say either way what to do, do we just self report?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Does Rose-Hulman allow self reporting? All the colleges we are considering are test optional but it seems USC requires an applicant to submit scores from CB if SAT is part of the application, but Santa Clara University only requires self reporting. If a college doesn’t say either way what to do, do we just self report?

We self reported last year. ETA Dd applied with the Common App, though. She only applied to 4 and only cared about 3 for EA. We probably should have just used the school's applications. ETA2. It looks like Rose is technically still test optional, but I suspect it works into their merit aid calculations if you submit. Also, join the Facebook Parent's page if it's a school your dc is interested in attending. It's an awesome, helpful group.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes and sometimes you need to check if end of date means 11:59pm their time or your time. My advice is not to wait that late lol 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

We think it does. 🤣It’s on our “to send” list. After long deliberations we decided the school is too good and we would risk not finding a soulmate to attend it. Anybody wondering what on earth I am mumbling about? Their male to female ratio is 75/25, definitely not favoring the odds for my DS. 🤣

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We think it does. 🤣It’s on our “to send” list. After long deliberations we decided the school is too good and we would risk not finding a soulmate to attend it. Anybody wondering what on earth I am mumbling about? Their male to female ratio is 75/25, definitely not favoring the odds for my DS. 🤣

This is an important statistic for one of my boys as well 🤣! Hilarious!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

My first thought was if the Rose-Hulman guys date the women from another school? I think there's a nursing college nearby that I assume is mostly women. I know that the WPI guys sometimes date the Clark women because the school gender imbalances are almost exact mirrors of each other.

But then I was like, what am I saying, Rose-Hulman guys are too busy building robots to date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, idnib said:

DS submitted Cal State yesterday, He applied to multiple schools since he had already done the work, but really think if Cal Poly SLO wasn't on there he probably would have skipped the entire app.

Remember to send the official score report to Cal State Apply

https://help.liaisonedu.com/Cal_State_Apply_Applicant_Help_Center/Sending_Your_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Sending_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Official_AP_Scores

“Official AP scores are submitted electronically to Cal State Apply directly from College Board using the CSU system-wide code #3594. Scores sent to this code are available to all campuses you apply to. Paper copies are not accepted.

Official AP scores from College Board can be received by Cal State Apply at any point during the application cycle, even after your application is submitted; however, some campuses may have a deadline by which they want your scores posted. Once your official AP scores are attached to your application, they cannot be removed.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://help.liaisonedu.com/Cal_State_Apply_Applicant_Help_Center/Sending_Your_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Sending_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Official_AP_Scores

“Official AP scores are submitted electronically to Cal State Apply directly from College Board using the CSU system-wide code #3594. Scores sent to this code are available to all campuses you apply to. Paper copies are not accepted.

Official AP scores from College Board can be received by Cal State Apply at any point during the application cycle, even after your application is submitted; however, some campuses may have a deadline by which they want your scores posted. Once your official AP scores are attached to your application, they cannot be removed.”

I thought they didn’t take into account AP scores when reviewing applications. Why do they care to have them during the application process? So weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

My first thought was if the Rose-Hulman guys date the women from another school? I think there's a nursing college nearby that I assume is mostly women. I know that the WPI guys sometimes date the Clark women because the school gender imbalances are almost exact mirrors of each other.

But then I was like, what am I saying, Rose-Hulman guys are too busy building robots to date.

My ds and daughter in law met at WPI when the ratio was 70-30 male-female. She said that when she first started at WPI and wondered about dating, the phrase was "the odds are good but the goods are odd" though I like to think my engineer ds is fairly normal!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I thought they didn’t take into account AP scores when reviewing applications. Why do they care to have them during the application process? So weird. 

The AP scores are already self reported in the CSU app. However they are the only ones that I know of so far that wants the official AP score report at time of application. So it is kind of silly keying in manually all the AP scores and then it also shows up automatically once  they receive the score report from college board. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Their male to female ratio is 75/25, definitely not favoring the odds for my DS. 🤣

When I was in engineering school, the guys were going after the ladies in arts & social sciences as well as those in business. There were engineering ladies whom nobody would court because of the ladies’ personality. I have engineering school mates that married doctors and lawyers. I won’t worry about the male to female ratio. Besides there is still the dorms which would likely have a more even ratio. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Thanks, he sent them yesterday. He hadn't expected unless he decided to attend because they said the scores (along with AP) can be used for placement only. But the application reminded him to send them right before he submitted. It made me briefly wonder how much they silo those scores from admissions...

1 minute ago, idnib said:

He hadn't expected unless he decided to attend because they said the scores (along with AP) can be used for placement only. 

The AP scores are not only used for placement (if applicable) but also used for the A-G requirements (DS17 took ap eng lit exam without taking a class).

They are also used to satisfy general education requirements for transfer students. For example, AP eng lang and AP eng lit can be used to satisfy two out of three CSU core requirements for English. 

The UC app also allows AP scores without classes to be used for satisfying the A-G requirements. 

• Like 2

If the EA deadline is Nov 1st, does the below mean I'm good as long as my stuff is loaded into the Common App on Tuesday?

The following are postmark deadlines for your undergraduate application and all corresponding materials (transcripts, essay, etc.). 

Our LOR will be uploaded tomorrow so we are good on that. I think I will have my transcript and course descriptions (x 2) uploaded tomorrow. That will leave a final review of the counselor letters and to finish my school profile 😬. I don't plan to wait until Tuesday, but am curious how this works!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The AP scores are not only used for placement (if applicable) but also used for the A-G requirements (DS17 took ap eng lit exam without taking a class).

They are also used to satisfy general education requirements for transfer students. For example, AP eng lang and AP eng lit can be used to satisfy two out of three CSU core requirements for English. 

The UC app also allows AP scores without classes to be used for satisfying the A-G requirements. 

Yes, sorry I misspoke. We did use the AP scores to cover some of the requirements. I'm not sure why they wanted the SAT scores sent though.

• Like 1

So my stupid question for the day 🤣! Compressing course descriptions to meet the 2000 KB limit.  Does it sound right that my 8.88 MB Word document compressed into PDF format at 159 KB when I did a print, save as PDF?

I had printed and scanned it and used a compression app and only one of my attempts got me below 2 MBs. 

Please speak in idiot because my mind is shot to heck -- LOL!

DH is doing a final read on the transcripts and course descriptions and I will make any necessary corrections.  Then I am not looking at them again until after they are all in.  I can't change them once uploaded anyway.

• Like 2

I have another dumb question 🙋‍♀️ 

So I went to fill out FAFSA. It didn’t ask me to put in any financial info. We got to that part, then it said “do you want to link to IRS”, I said yes, it said then create FSA ID. I created ID. And now can’t back to the screen to link to IRS. Or will that do it automatically? Or did I actually already miraculously linked it? So basically I can’t figure out if I filed FAFSA or not. 🤷‍♀️
Dashboard says it will take three days to verify social security info.  What? I feel utterly dumb right now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have another dumb question 🙋‍♀️ 

So I went to fill out FAFSA. It didn’t ask me to put in any financial info. We got to that part, then it said “do you want to link to IRS”, I said yes, it said then create FSA ID. I created ID. And now can’t back to the screen to link to IRS. Or will that do it automatically? Or did I actually already miraculously linked it? So basically I can’t figure out if I filed FAFSA or not. 🤷‍♀️
Dashboard says it will take three days to verify social security info.  What? I feel utterly dumb right now. 

Have you tried logging in to FAFSA fresh? That gave me a quick scroll through what was done, or still need to be completed. I thought the system was functional but klunky. When I had to do the CSS, however, I gained a new appreciation for FAFSA. Anyway, I feel like I had to add some things after linking to the IRS. Things like whether my dc had any dependents or a description of the other members of the family .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

So my stupid question for the day 🤣! Compressing course descriptions to meet the 2000 KB limit.  Does it sound right that my 8.88 MB Word document compressed into PDF format at 159 KB when I did a print, save as PDF?

I had printed and scanned it and used a compression app and only one of my attempts got me below 2 MBs. 

Please speak in idiot because my mind is shot to heck -- LOL!

DH is doing a final read on the transcripts and course descriptions and I will make any necessary corrections.  Then I am not looking at them again until after they are all in.  I can't change them once uploaded anyway.

How big is the original Word file?  That sounds huge, unless you are talking about a word file, printed, and then scanned, in which case, I would just print to pdf. 

My 28 page course descriptions Word document is only 53 KB in size. 😃 When I printed it as a pdf, it went up to 212 KB. (I still have a whole year to make cuts, unlike you all).  But you might be talking about your whole document, including transcript, counselor letter, etc.

ETA: IF you have the full Adobe Acrobat (not just reader) you can insert other pdf files into a file.  So then you can scan only the documents that need original signatures, etc. and print to pdf for the rest. The scanned documents will be larger. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Have you tried logging in to FAFSA fresh? That gave me a quick scroll through what was done, or still need to be completed. I thought the system was functional but klunky. When I had to do the CSS, however, I gained a new appreciation for FAFSA. Anyway, I feel like I had to add some things after linking to the IRS. Things like whether my dc had any dependents or a description of the other members of the family .....

I knew it was too good to be true.

System is down right now.

I added parent info and sibling info. IRS was after that, but I didn’t see any financial info at all. I am going to wait until the site functions and then try again.

I need to do CSS now. You are scaring me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

System is down right now.

Ai-yi. C'mon people!

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I need to do CSS now. You are scaring me. 

Sorry. The website was a little stiff, there were disconcerting subject/verb errors, and no link to the IRS so that stuff has to be entered by hand. 😝 You got this, though. I made it through. You can too!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Ai-yi. C'mon people!

Sorry. The website was a little stiff, there were disconcerting subject/verb errors, and no link to the IRS so that stuff has to be entered by hand. 😝 You got this, though. I made it through. You can too!

A little stiff? I can’t even open anything. It’s a nightmare!

11 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

A little stiff? I can’t even open anything. It’s a nightmare!

Sometimes I stormed off, stamping my feet, and when I came back it had finally loaded the next page. It did seem to do a good job of saving as I went, so I didn't have to reenter anything even at is worst.

The second time I was asked to fill it out I sent a letter to the AO asking if it was actually required, and the response was only if I was expecting to receive institutional need-based aid, which I am not. Any chance it isn't required?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Sometimes I stormed off, stamping my feet, and when I came back it had finally loaded the next page. It did seem to do a good job of saving as I went, so I didn't have to reenter anything even at is worst.

The second time I was asked to fill it out I sent a letter to the AO asking if it was actually required, and the response was only if I was expecting to receive institutional need-based aid, which I am not. Any chance it isn't required?

I fill out one little thing, then log in again, then fill out another, then log in again. It’s hell. 

At this rate I will be done by sunrise. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Eos said:

My ds and daughter in law met at WPI when the ratio was 70-30 male-female. She said that when she first started at WPI and wondered about dating, the phrase was "the odds are good but the goods are odd" though I like to think my engineer ds is fairly normal!

Yep. They say that at Rose, too, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1