Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

My first thought was if the Rose-Hulman guys date the women from another school? I think there's a nursing college nearby that I assume is mostly women. I know that the WPI guys sometimes date the Clark women because the school gender imbalances are almost exact mirrors of each other.

But then I was like, what am I saying, Rose-Hulman guys are too busy building robots to date.

St. Mary of the Woods is heavily female, but it's almost 1/2 hour away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I have another dumb question 🙋‍♀️ 

So I went to fill out FAFSA. It didn’t ask me to put in any financial info. We got to that part, then it said “do you want to link to IRS”, I said yes, it said then create FSA ID. I created ID. And now can’t back to the screen to link to IRS. Or will that do it automatically? Or did I actually already miraculously linked it? So basically I can’t figure out if I filed FAFSA or not. 🤷‍♀️
Dashboard says it will take three days to verify social security info.  What? I feel utterly dumb right now. 

I never got it to link to IRS despite several attempts. First week of October - could not get in. Too many eager beavers out there 😏. Second week was fine, and I no longer plan to link it as I filled out most things. CSS is way better, as you know by now, but I don’t think it lets you print out a pdf of your responses like FAFSA. I still need to input some more  colleges for CSS. I was planning to only input those that are required for EA but might as well just add the rest. I could turn in FAFSA, but I am not able to physically press send. Maybe it’s thought of what’s next. Doesn’t it tell us the EFC after we send it?

Oh right someone mentioned that SSA needs to verify. It had to verify mine and Dd, and it was not like they were speeding along with the verification. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I never got it to link to IRS despite several attempts. First week of October - could not get in. Too many eager beavers out there 😏. Second week was fine, and I no longer plan to link it as I filled out most things. CSS is way better, as you know by now, but I don’t think it lets you print out a pdf of your responses like FAFSA. I still need to input some more  colleges for CSS. I was planning to only input those that are required for EA but might as well just add the rest. I could turn in FAFSA, but I am not able to physically press send. Maybe it’s thought of what’s next. Doesn’t it tell us the EFC after we send it?

Oh right someone mentioned that SSA needs to verify. It had to verify mine and Dd, and it was not like they were speeding along with the verification. 

It does tell EFC after it is signed and submitted.

I never tried the IRS link.  I just input mine manually and it wasn't too bad to fill out - if you have the info handy.  I did mess up and didn't see the transfer to another student button so had to input everything twice.

Edited by mlktwins
Lack of caffeine issues -- LOL
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Miss Tick said:

Yikes! Was it a font issue?

Strangely enough, it wasn't a font issue. We tried switching fonts.  We ended up saving it as a new document, and that fixed the problem. Maybe a bit of corruption somewhere? Because none of the supplemental essays were coming out that way.  

The weird thing was that it looked fine when after copying and pasting. But when we went back to review it, the question marks appeared!  

• Like 3

On 10/28/2022 at 8:21 PM, mlktwins said:

I believe so (it may depend on the school), but I'm planning to be done by Sunday or Monday afternoon just in case the Common App gets glitchy on Tuesday.

ETA: If he has his them ready to go, he should go ahead and submit. Then get your stuff uploaded.

Last year, the College Board was so glitchy on December 1st that my kid's application couldn't be sent in. It was NOT a fun night, especially since we had to get up the next morning and drive three hours for a tour and interview.  Luckily, the schools were aware of the issues and accepted "late" applications.  But I do not want to go through that again. So now I am happy to report all of our EA schools have been submitted. Yippee!!! Including my stuff (phew!). Now I'm playing catchup with my own work.

We had to deal with something similar happen with CSS profile last week. It was impossible to upload information. Ugh.  At least we weren't tight up against the deadline.  But I fought with the site for over an hour before admitting defeat.  The next day, the site was working better, and I was able to submit everything.  

And now we're in the phase of dealing with all those "little" things that each individual college wants, such as the special homeschool "application," etc.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

It does tell EFC after it is signed and submitted.

I never tried the IRS link.  I just input my manually and it wasn't too bad to fill out - if you have the info handy.  I did mess up and didn't see the transfer to another student button so had to input every 2 times.

I didn't use the IRS link last year because it said that it couldn't access my files. I though it was just a glitch in the system. So I manually entered my financial information.

Turns out, some schools want the "official info" directly from the IRS.  So I would get requests from some schools to either upload our 1040 or request a tax transcript directly from the IRS. 

Not all schools made me do this. In fact, the school my kid ultimately ended up at did not require IRS verification, but several did.  And it became just one more hoop to jump through.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, threedogfarm said:

I didn't use the IRS link last year because it said that it couldn't access my files. I though it was just a glitch in the system. So I manually entered my financial information.

Turns out, some schools want the "official info" directly from the IRS.  So I would get requests from some schools to either upload our 1040 or request a tax transcript directly from the IRS. 

Not all schools made me do this. In fact, the school my kid ultimately ended up at did not require IRS verification, but several did.  And it became just one more hoop to jump through.  

I tried the IRS link this year, thought the whole system must have gone down, went to bed, logged in the next day to find the transfer had completed successfully. We *want* to be a slick, all-digital society, but there are clearly still some bridges to cross.

• Like 2

Y'all, what is the difference between Very Demanding and Most Demanding for the Curriculum prompt in the Common App?

Our base high school is an AP Scholar school. My guys will have taken 10 Honors, 3 AP, and 1 DE by the time they graduate so do I put Very Demanding or Most Demanding?  Or....does it really matter what I put in this system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Y'all, what is the difference between Very Demanding and Most Demanding for the Curriculum prompt in the Common App?

Our base high school is an AP Scholar school. My guys will have taken 10 Honors, 3 AP, and 1 DE by the time they graduate so do I put Very Demanding or Most Demanding?  Or....does it really matter what I put in this system?

I think you just put most demanding. (I remember looking at this guide when I was doing the common app and thinking it was sort of funny that there's not even any discussion about it; she just says to put "most demanding" no matter what: https://fearlesshomeschoolers.com/blog/common-app-for-homeschoolers ). In practice, I doubt schools put much stock in how you, as the parent, rank the curriculum and are just going to look at what classes they've taken and attempt to put that in context. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dd wrote a new personal essay yesterday after a few attempts at the first one, which apparently did not tell the reader who she is, according to teachers/friends despite many attempts. I never read it. It’s very hard for her to dig deep and reveal her inner thoughts/feelings. So she pivoted and now has written about a sort of strong hobby/interest that has nothing to do with academics/sports/world peace, and I’m worried that AOs might misunderstand her goals post-high school and conclude this one hobby as reflection of a person who is not especially interested in academics. They might think she ought to pursue a different course after high school. But this “interest” truly shows her character and how she is with people. And this hobby is not what she wants to do full time for money. She’s going to polish it up by tying the characteristics reflected with this interest with who she is as a person.

Is it possible to do this with a hobby that older people might think as fluff/possibly shallow that brings joy to her and her friends (boys and girls) and possibly knocks down one gender barrier that still seems prevalent among teens? Though that might just be a 50 year old talking. Apparently she doesn’t see it this way.

And since she needs to submit by today or tomorrow for EA could she still polish it up for the next batch of EA (11/15) and then RD? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Is it possible to do this with a hobby that older people might think as fluff/possibly shallow that brings joy to her and her friends (boys and girls) and possibly knocks down one gender barrier that still seems prevalent among teens? Though that might just be a 50 year old talking. Apparently she doesn’t see it this way.

I think that's absolutely fine! The essay doesn't need to have anything to do with academics and doesn't need to be about something "serious." If you take a look at sample essays that selective colleges put up, they're very often about something that might, on the surface, seem fluffy. At Johns Hopkins, they have one essay "about" crochet and one "about" playing solitaire...which then go on to tie the opening anecdote to some sort of life lesson/important personal quality or whatever: https://apply.jhu.edu/application-process/essays-that-worked/  ...with the caveat that I have never been on an admissions committee, I think those guys read SO MANY essays about travel/sports/academic interests that it pays to stand out and be memorable in some way. You can write a very good and very sincere essay about a "fluffy" topic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Dd wrote a new personal essay yesterday after a few attempts at the first one, which apparently did not tell the reader who she is, according to teachers/friends despite many attempts. I never read it. It’s very hard for her to dig deep and reveal her inner thoughts/feelings. So she pivoted and now has written about a sort of strong hobby/interest that has nothing to do with academics/sports/world peace, and I’m worried that AOs might misunderstand her goals post-high school and conclude this one hobby as reflection of a person who is not especially interested in academics. They might think she ought to pursue a different course after high school. But this “interest” truly shows her character and how she is with people. And this hobby is not what she wants to do full time for money. She’s going to polish it up by tying the characteristics reflected with this interest with who she is as a person.

And since she needs to submit by today or tomorrow for EA could she still polish it up for the next batch of EA (11/15) and then RD? 

So...some of the notes I took re: personal essays:

Don't use the topic to stand out.

Write about something that matters to you.

Write about something they wouldn't know from your other docs/application.

Show how you think.

Give the reader the opportunity to see your personality - let it shine through.

Be yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

After struggling through essay topics with both of my boys (they very strongly dislike writing about themselves), I felt they got to a good enough place with their essays and then I had to let it go.  I did what I could and I made sure they took ownership of them. I did have buy in from others, but I was never 100% comfortable with their topics.

Does she seem excited about it? Confident in what she wrote? I think that might be better than a forced essay about a topic they aren't thrilled with.

I know this is hard place to be a homeschooling mama. Big hugs!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I think that's absolutely fine! The essay doesn't need to have anything to do with academics and doesn't need to be about something "serious." If you take a look at sample essays that selective colleges put up, they're very often about something that might, on the surface, seem fluffy. At Johns Hopkins, they have one essay "about" crochet and one "about" playing solitaire...which then go on to tie the opening anecdote to some sort of life lesson/important personal quality or whatever: https://apply.jhu.edu/application-process/essays-that-worked/  ...with the caveat that I have never been on an admissions committee, I think those guys read SO MANY essays about travel/sports/academic interests that it pays to stand out and be memorable in some way. You can write a very good and very sincere essay about a "fluffy" topic. 

Thanks so much! Dh was mentioning that the essay reads like she should go to vocational school due to such a strong interest. Our 11/1 EA schools have high acceptance rates so I’m not too worried about Dd getting accepted, though we do need merit from these schools. 

• Like 2

After struggling through essay topics with both of my boys (they very strongly dislike writing about themselves), I felt they got to a good enough place with their essays and then I had to let it go.  I did what I could and I made sure they took ownership of them. I did have buy in from others, but I was never 100% comfortable with their topics.

Does she seem excited about it? Confident in what she wrote? I think that might be better than a forced essay about a topic they aren't thrilled with.

Yes she was smiling all day when doing the outline and eventually in essay form. She’s so excited about this topic, and it doesn’t reveal anything that should be revealed to a therapist only.

• Like 5

Edited by crazyforlatin
Double post

18 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Yes she was smiling all day when doing the outline and eventually in essay form. She’s so excited about this topic, and it doesn’t reveal anything that should be revealed to a therapist only.

If any of the colleges she applied to does interviews, at least she could talk enthusiastically about her topic. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

it doesn’t reveal anything that should be revealed to a therapist only.

This is my internal struggle with dd's essay.  It's more of a therapy dump than I think is appropriate, but she loves the topic and is compelled to write about it.  I pointed to one sentence I thought was the one she should remove and she declared that was the most important one.  We are in a state of detente and she's going to let her brother read it tonight.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eos said:

This is my internal struggle with dd's essay.  It's more of a therapy dump than I think is appropriate, but she loves the topic and is compelled to write about it.  I pointed to one sentence I thought was the one she should remove and she declared that was the most important one.  We are in a state of detente and she's going to let her brother read it tonight.  

The problem with DD’s first essay is that it didn’t reveal much of anything, like she couldn’t put it on paper. She used to have a therapist so I know she knows how to go through the thought process, but there’s no one around here asking her questions or discussing issues. Dd wouldn’t let us read it nor did we ask because it was clearly quite personal. But if your Dd can reveal herself that tells AOs something important about her, then I would say she has a great personal essay. Dd couldn’t get to that point according to her teachers and friends. Now her current essay is going to be light hearted, not going to be deep as her first essay if she had succeeded, but it will give some insight into her character. We’re last minute here so it’s better for Dd to feel good writing this essay than to struggle to dig deeper for the first essay. 

Edited by crazyforlatin
Missing words
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

If any of the colleges she applied to does interviews, at least she could talk enthusiastically about her topic. 

I found that not many offered interviews. Dd did a few on zoom and one in person, and unfortunately the one place I like for her to consider attending, she didn’t like the feeling she was getting during the interview. She is refusing to apply there though they offer generous merit scholarship. Plus there are like 3 supplemental essays. We can barely get the personal essay done at this point. 

Sometimes it’s better not to interview 😏

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I found that not many offered interviews. Dd did a few on zoom and one in person, and unfortunately the one place I like for her to consider attending, she didn’t like the feeling she was getting during the interview. She is refusing to apply there though they offer generous merit scholarship. Plus there are like 3 supplemental essays. We can barely get the personal essay done at this point. 

Sometimes it’s better not to interview 😏

I meant scholarships interviews but I do get what you mean about getting not so great vibes from the interviewers.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

After 11/1, can applicants continue to revise their personal essays for the 11/15  and subsequent deadlines? 

I’m not a 100%, but I think the kids can change anything in the Common App, but it won’t be changed for any schools for which applications have already been submitted.  Hopefully someone will chime in as to whether this is correct or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Three down, one to go before 11/1!!! (A safety, a reach, and two state schools, both reaches.) Told DS17 that he can ignore everything college-related until 12/1 once this is done.

I started the CSS tonight, but the website is super slow right now, so I'll be working on it again tomorrow during the afternoon.

Emily

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

Told DS17 that he can ignore everything college-related until 12/1 once this is done.

That’s when checking emails including junk folders starts for instructions on how to activate accounts on their student portals. Unless you are going to be the one checking the email he use for college applications, he would have to take care of college related stuff once he submit his applications. He would also need to monitor those accounts because some colleges may ask for more stuff and their email notifications may be wonky so it is better to log in every few days to the accounts.

• Like 3

I feel like I'm the last person here who is still working on documents. I've finished the transcript and have a next-to-final counselor letter. I'm still working up the school profile and while I've been writing course descriptions as each class was finished, I haven't gathered them in one document and edited them to have a coherent, smooth voice. Anyone else?

ETA: DS isn't doing EA or ED.

Edited by idnib

11 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

The problem with DD’s first essay is that it didn’t reveal much of anything, like she couldn’t put it on paper. She used to have a therapist so I know she knows how to go through the thought process, but there’s no one around here asking her questions or discussing issues. Dd wouldn’t let us read it nor did we ask because it was clearly quite personal. But if your Dd can reveal herself that tells AOs something important about her, then I would say she has a great personal essay. Dd couldn’t get to that point according to her teachers and friends. Now her current essay is going to be light hearted, not going to be deep as her first essay if she had succeeded, but it will give some insight into her character. We’re last minute here so it’s better for Dd to feel good writing this essay than to struggle to dig deeper for the first essay. 

Thank you for helping me see in a new way.  She let me read it again last night and I leaned into your advice.  It really does what you say and what the classic advice says which is to say something not said elsewhere.  I have some nuts and bolts editing suggestions now and that is all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, idnib said:

I feel like I'm the last person here who is still working on documents. I've finished the transcript and have a next-to-final counselor letter. I'm still working up the school profile and while I've been writing course descriptions as each class was finished, I haven't gathered them in one document and edited them to have a coherent, smooth voice. Anyone else?

I'm mostly done but still in progress!  Plus this weird need to migrate to a new transcript format.  That will either happen today or it won't.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, idnib said:

I'm still working on mine, but have completed the transcripts, course descriptions, and DH is doing a final read through of both counselor letters this morning. I am pretty much done with the school profile, but need to do a thorough read through and make some corrections. I'm hoping to get all of mine uploaded tonight to avoid any craziness that might occur tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I need today, and have tomorrow too if necessary, but I will be so glad when this part of the process is complete -- LOL!

Mine are needed for EA deadlines of tomorrow night.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eos said:

I'm mostly done but still in progress!  Plus this weird need to migrate to a new transcript format.  That will either happen today or it won't.

As long as you have the original one complete and ready to go, it takes the pressure off if a new one doesn't work out! However, if your current format has worked for you twice before, why reinvent the wheel?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

As long as you have the original one complete and ready to go, it takes the pressure off if a new one doesn't work out! However, if your current format has worked for you twice before, why reinvent the wheel?

I know, right?  It's not rational, so I'm treating it like a bargaining-phase-of-grief chit.  It's reminding me a little of the time right before we drove away to oldest ds' wedding that I suddenly needed to prune the whole raspberry patch.  Something small to focus on so the enormity of an impending life change fades a little in comparison.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Boy, we're kinda of quiet on this thread today.  Wonder why 🤣?

It's just another manic Monday (Woah, woah)
I wish it was Sunday (Woah, woah)
'Cause that's my fun day (Woah, woah, woah, woah)
My I don't have to run day (Woah, woah)
It's just another manic Monday”

🤣🥂

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

@idnib DS17 is applying as an upper division transfer so high school transcript, school profile and all that aren’t required. DS16 isn’t applying as he wants to wait until next year to apply as an upper division transfer. So I am left with panicking for the essays for common app and UCs.  Calpoly SLO already sent an acknowledgment email that they are swarmed with applications and applicants might have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get the activation email for their SLO application portal accounts. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Boy, we're kinda of quiet on this thread today.  Wonder why 🤣?

I'm trying to resist derailing @ScoutTN's college acceptance thread by pun-quoting Lady Macbeth: "Out, out damned Bot"

Halloween plus college apps breaking point plus beautiful fall weather = heading outside to hike!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@idnib DS17 is applying as an upper division transfer so high school transcript, school profile and all that aren’t required. DS16 isn’t applying as he wants to wait until next year to apply as an upper division transfer. So I am left with panicking for the essays for common app and UCs.  Calpoly SLO already sent an acknowledgment email that they are swarmed with applications and applicants might have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get the activation email for their SLO application portal accounts. 

Well I'll join you in stressing about CA and UCs. I haven't gotten the SLO email.

12 minutes ago, idnib said:

Well I'll join you in stressing about CA and UCs. I haven't gotten the SLO email.

DS17 submitted on 10/27 evening and received the Calstate apply email that his application to SLO and SJSU were submitted successfully. The SLO email was the next day and he hasn't gotten any acknowledgement email from SJSU (our nearest CSU).

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 5

No EA here, so no 11/1 deadline. 

Dd needs to write an essay for her last application and contact one instructor about a recommendation.

Then she starts on the 5 scholarship/honors college applications. Deadlines are Dec 1, 15, Jan 4, Jan 10, and Feb 1. Dd’s goal is two by TG and the others before school begins in January. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Should essays be double spaced? 1.5 spaced? 
Or single?

And you guys thought my questions couldn’t get dumber.  

I just looked and my boys did theirs in Word, using Normal "styles." It cut and pasted in there just fine.  I probably wouldn't do doubled space.  But...have him cut and paste what he currently has into the essay prompt and do a preview.  That will tell you what he should do.  

Mine had spaces between their paragraphs, but when cut and pasted into the designated space, those spaces were gone.  But...when they did the preview, they were there.  Crazy system -- LOL.

• Like 4

Just now, mlktwins said:

I just looked and my boys did theirs in Word, using Normal "styles." It cut and pasted in there just fine.  I probably wouldn't do doubled space.  But...have him cut and paste what he currently has into the essay prompt and do a preview.  That will tell you what he should do.  

Mine had spaces between their paragraphs, but when cut and pasted into the designated space, those spaces were gone.  But...when they did the preview, they were there.  Crazy system -- LOL.

Some supplementals are being asked to be uploaded. 

• Like 2