Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

• 2 weeks later...

DS17 submitted three more college apps a few days ago. My brother, who has a PhD in Comp Lit, was in town and was willing to give him a lot of feedback on his essays. So, he made my brother's final day visiting his "deadline" for applying.

When my brother read DS's "biggest world problem" essay, he pointed out that a certain phrase DS was using had a second meaning DS and I didn't realize, so that was pretty helpful.

DS17 got deferred from both his early action schools, so he added another safety school (60%) and wrote the "Why us?" essay for it. While writing it, he realized he really liked that school, a lot more than some of the other schools her applied for! Also, we learned that a well-written "Why us?" essay can be helpful for life, and I think I'm going to have him research such an essay for wherever he ends up going. He's got another safety-safety (80%) he can add that isn't due until March 1, if needed.

Emily

• Like 8

@EmilyGF My Dd has found the process of writing college/scholarship application essays worthwhile. Clarified her thinking in several important areas. Several have been fun to think out the answers to and write. 

She has done the schools’ applications and none of the essays are the same. (Only one school had an essay for the regular app, the rest have been for scholarships/honors college.

• Like 3

DS now has all the applications in and is turning toward writing honors college applications after the holiday tomorrow. He's pretty burned out at this point. Online applications make it so easy for schools to add more and more compared to ye olde paper applications. Every time it seems one is getting close to the end, there's another box, another signature, another residential college sorting, another PDF....

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

My daughter does have ONE more app with scholarship app stuff to get in by January 15.  She does not start DE back up for a couple weeks, but the nagging starts tomorrow! 😂 She is so burnt out on essays, everything she starts now sounds like a ten year old wrote them.  They are always fixable, but it's pretty funny!

My daughter is applying to 8.  All are auditioned music programs within colleges/universities.  So we were waiting on pre-screens.  She got invited to possibly her reachiest music option on Christmas Eve which was exciting, in Boston.  Out of the 8, we are still waiting for final scheduling from a couple but will likely audition live at 6, one school is doing online audition only (that is fairly local, we are going to try again to schedule a sample lesson).  And was not invited to one that required a prescreen.  Which is totally fine.  

Music apps especially for vocal programs are never "safe".  But 1 is "safer" (and she got a rolling EA fast academic acceptance), 4 are match/may be good for merit, 3 are reachy.  One program I considered reachier (music program is reachy/acadmically not, some are both) she did a sample lesson at earlier this fall and that teacher has emailed her multiple times and talked to her directly about merit money.  So now she is excited about that program.  Plus, it's in Chicago which is exciting.

Anyway - one scheduling we're waiting on will require a flight, so I hope that one comes through soon!  I already booked travel to Chicago and Boston and some within closer driving distance.  We're actually going to Chicago and Wisconsin the same weekend.  Crossing all digits on decent driving weather.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 6

My boys have applied to 8 (all EA) and will apply to one more (RD). One selective school and the rest targets and safeties. Mine do not want to leave the state so all in-state schools. I had them apply to a few schools they aren't interested in, but hadn't really researched so they would have additional options.

They've been accepted at 5, and waiting to hear from 3 for EA. They both have their first interview on Tuesday (on-line) that they are preparing for an Honors College and merit money. We won't have a decision from that school until mid-January.

I am starting additional research for all the colleges tomorrow and getting my spreadsheet in order with costs, merit, etc. I'm also now looking more closely at deposits and how they may affect housing. I know one of the schools DS1 is most interested in gives housing pick advantage to earlier housing deposits. He is likely to get into that school, we will know in a couple of weeks, but I may not want to wait on a deposit until the reach decision comes back in mid-Feb. Lots of additional work to do to be able to make the final decisions.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, catz said:

She is so burnt out on essays, everything she starts now sounds like a ten year old wrote them.  They are always fixable, but it's pretty funny!

Oh my gosh, same thing here!! Everything is coming out as fragments and trite little comments. It’s so painful to watch!

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

DD has two more RD applications due tonight, and then I think she’s finished. Thanks goodness!!!!

Although then summer program applications start up…🙄

Summer program? Mine plans on doing nothing but sleeping this summer. To gain strength for college he tells me. 🤣

Mine is now copy/pasting his essays. Not a good approach but 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Summer program? Mine plans on doing nothing but sleeping this summer. To gain strength for college he tells me. 🤣

Oh gosh, my kiddo would go completely insane with nothing to do! Crazy social kid. I seriously think she’s going to have to find a way to live in a dorm for at least the next decade. I hear there are adult dorms in L.A. because housing is so expensive…

The cutting and pasting is in full force here too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rzberrymom said:

Oh gosh, my kiddo would go completely insane with nothing to do! Crazy social kid. I seriously think she’s going to have to find a way to live in a dorm for at least the next decade. I hear there are adult dorms in L.A. because housing is so expensive…

The cutting and pasting is in full force here too!

Mine will gladly crawl up in a corner and read all day. He buys a book a day. We have nowhere to house them anymore. He just wants to be left alone to read. 

Considering I am like your DD, I do not understand how i birthed this alien. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine will gladly crawl up in a corner and read all day. He buys a book a day. We have nowhere to house them anymore. He just wants to be left alone to read. 

Oh man, they would be good friends!! She made a goal last year to read 200 books and was mad at herself that she only got to 123. She wrote a short essay about how hard it is to find friends to talk about books with. Maybe they should be penpals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, rzberrymom said:

Oh man, they would be good friends!! She made a goal last year to read 200 books and was mad at herself that she only got to 123. She wrote a short essay about how hard it is to find friends to talk about books with. Maybe they should be penpals!

And free me from pretending I am listening to why somebody was going to some godforsaken lighthouse! Which apparently never finally reach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I can empathize but my boys probably take after my husband’s hermit tendencies. I told my husband no more buying of books. He can hibernate at any of the Palo Alto city libraries since they have long opening hours. 

• Like 5

For those who have had their kids interview, would the below sound like it isn't something to stress over? Neither of mine have done an interview yet and this is required for Honors College and merit. They are prepared regarding school information - they've looked at all the business majors/minors, classes required for each, and the information provided on the Honors Program. They know all their high school course info, but I'm having them review my course descriptions again just in case. They will have questions to ask the interviewer as well (about the school, why they chose it, what did they like most about it, etc). Anything else I should know? Assuming they don't get into their reach school, this is a 2nd choice school for DS1 (JMU is first choice) and not so much for DS2. They won't be attending without merit so more important for DS1.

An interview is the best way for us to get to know each other – it enhances your application and will help you decide if Christopher Newport is the right fit for you.

There’s no pressure. It's not a scary Q&A with right or wrong answers. It's a conversation between you and one friendly admission staff member, many of whom are recent graduates themselves. You can share more about yourself and your interests and goals, and you'll learn more about who we are and what we're all about.

An interview is required for merit scholarship consideration through the President's Leadership Program or Honors Program.

• Like 1

Done!  The last application was sent in this morning. Dd sent in quite a few early action applications but had a couple of reaches that were regular decision. 

And just like that, it is all over.  I know. There are decisions to make. And we have to hear from a few more schools. But this is a cause for celebration, right?

Then, my husband said to me, like it was a good thing, "Well, now you never have to read another college application essay."  Why did that make me feel like crying???  Of course, it didn't help that my other teen left to go back to college on Sunday. Sigh.

Edited by threedogfarm
  • Like 10

DD has her top two admits and just has to decide between them. Both are OK in my mind but one is preferred (by DH and I). She's received one more admission today but it's an also ran in her mind, not worth mentioning. I am pleased that one of her finalists is my pick.

Is it bad that I have moved on to DS's preliminary list (Class of 2026)? The top 20 is ID'd and my top 10 for Spring 2024 tours are set. ROAD TRIP!! 

Grumble, grumble...he will probably upset my perfectly packed applecart.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Dd received an invitation today to the Honors College interview weekend for Samford. One of only about 80 kids. They choose about 40 for the program. Nice! It's a massive financial reach for us. She's already gotten some merit aid, but will need essentially full tuition to go. If God wants her there, the money will work. She applied on the basis of general recommendations from others and we have not visited yet. It is an unknown on her priority list because we don't really have a sense of the school vibe yet. I don't think it will displace Union as her #1, but it may well slide into the #2 spot. We go to a reception here for Samford admitted students in two weeks.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 10

And…. adding another accepted students event, this one at her top choice public university for early March. With a piano audition for the music minor program. 

I will be so glad when it is all settled. NOT wishing the days with Dd away, but May busyness will be so different. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 8

On 1/9/2023 at 8:34 PM, ScoutTN said:

Dd received an invitation today to the Honors College interview weekend for Samford. One of only about 80 kids. They choose about 40 for the program. Nice! It's a massive financial reach for us. She's already gotten some merit aid, but will need essentially full tuition to go. If God wants her there, the money will work. She applied on the basis of general recommendations from others and we have not visited yet. It is an unknown on her priority list because we don't really have a sense of the school vibe yet. I don't think it will displace Union as her #1, but it may well slide into the #2 spot. We go to a reception here for Samford admitted students in two weeks.

My dd narrowed it down to Union and Blue Mountain. I went to Union so was silently hoping for that direction . . . The campus is beautiful and so many years later it would still be my pick if I were choosing again! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ByGrace3 said:

My dd narrowed it down to Union and Blue Mountain. I went to Union so was silently hoping for that direction . . . The campus is beautiful and so many years later it would still be my pick if I were choosing again! 

I hope Union works out for my Dd; she has other good choices, but I think it is the best fit for her. 

If your Dd goes too, maybe we can help them connect before school begins? 

• Like 1

My DD was one and done- small state school.  She was in before August, automatic Honors college acceptance 😉 We paid the housing deposit in December,  and she's finishing up the institutional scholarship application this week.  I want her to try to do a few other scholarship applications I found online, but so far she just says no.  I want it all done by the time 2nd semester of college classes start!  I still have to fill out the FAFSA.  UGH!   Thats on my list for next weekend.   

Good luck to all the Seniors (and their parents) who will be trying to make big life decisions over the next few months!  

• Like 10

8 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

My DD was one and done- small state school.  She was in before August, automatic Honors college acceptance 😉 We paid the housing deposit in December,  and she's finishing up the institutional scholarship application this week.  I want her to try to do a few other scholarship applications I found online, but so far she just says no.  I want it all done by the time 2nd semester of college classes start!  I still have to fill out the FAFSA.  UGH!   Thats on my list for next weekend.   

Good luck to all the Seniors (and their parents) who will be trying to make big life decisions over the next few months!  

I will happily add her to the Acceptances and Decisions thread if you post there.  

Congratulations! 🎉🎈 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone’s kiddo been deferred from EA to RD and need to send a letter of continued interest? Any idea when would be the best time to send that letter?

At first I thought sometime in February, but now I’m thinking schools that had a January 1st deadline must start looking at applications soon. So maybe the next week or two would be best?

Anyone have experience with this?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Need to enter Dd’s 1st semester grades with our umbrella school! Do I need to re-send transcripts to schools she is in process with? 

Some colleges require mid year reports for freshman applications. It is in Common App and/or the colleges’ application portal.

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/recommendersupport/s/article/What-information-should-I-include-in-the-Mid-Year-Report
“Mid-year reports should be submitted as soon as possible after first semester or trimester grades are available.

You will be asked to provide information such as the student's class rank, some details about GPA, and the student's updated transcript.

The Common App recommendation system doesn't send you a reminder to complete this form. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of this requirement and ensure that the form is completed.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Some colleges require mid year reports for freshman applications. It is in Common App and/or the colleges’ application portal.

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/recommendersupport/s/article/What-information-should-I-include-in-the-Mid-Year-Report
“Mid-year reports should be submitted as soon as possible after first semester or trimester grades are available.

You will be asked to provide information such as the student's class rank, some details about GPA, and the student's updated transcript.

The Common App recommendation system doesn't send you a reminder to complete this form. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of this requirement and ensure that the form is completed.”

Dd has no Common App applications. I will check with Admissions reps. 

• Like 1

Just now, ScoutTN said:

Dd has no Common App applications. I will check with Admissions reps. 

In that case, check the schools’ application portal. DS18 had a mixed bag last year with some wanting updates on fall semester grades and some don’t. None wanted an updated transcript.

• Thanks 1

I'm in the middle of updating DS's transcript now that his dual enrollment grades are available. It's easy enough for me to send or upload to his colleges. What I don't know if whether I also need to send his cc transcripts for fall via Parchment, or if putting those grades on my transcript is enough. It's not hard to do, it just adds up.

• Like 2