Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I’m not sure I take your meaning. So many people here are excited when their kids go. I do *want* to understand its appeal. I know I don’t *need* to.

It felt like you were making a statement - not that you were wanting understanding. That's all.

I think it will vary by applicant. For us, my boys didn't want to apply anywhere out of state, much as I tried. We can afford it and DH would have been willing to pay full cost at UVA. He went to JMU undergrad and UVA law.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Just when you start patting yourself on the back about them being practically launched already, one tries to pour 12 oz of hot chocolate into a 6 oz cup, over the middle of the counter. And the panic starts up again. 😂

-snort-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Anybody getting alumni interview requests this late? 

I don't know if this answers your questions, but DS keeps getting reminders from one of his colleges, but every time he checks the link, none are open in our area. And this is for a school that considers demonstrated interest. At any rate, they keep nudging him.

1 hour ago, idnib said:

I don't know if this answers your questions, but DS keeps getting reminders from one of his colleges, but every time he checks the link, none are open in our area. And this is for a school that considers demonstrated interest. At any rate, they keep nudging him.

mine got an actual person contacting him. I thought this was surprising so late in the process. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

mine got an actual person contacting him. I thought this was surprising so late in the process. 

My Dd has a scholarship interview this weekend, but it’s not for admission.

I guess they use all the time, down to the wire, at selective schools. Lots to sift!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Anybody getting alumni interview requests this late? 

Mine had a couple who contacted him at this time last year. It didn't even really dawn on us that it felt "late" since their notifications weren't til late March.

(it was alllllll good news for him from those schools, fwiw!) ☺️

One school that said "if you didn't get an interview, you wouldn't be penalized in any way" (and he did not get an interview, despite filling in all the appropriate information) was one of the sort of surprising outright rejections he received.

We figured that he must really impress in interviews because he was 100% for those more competitive schools. 😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Back from our next-to-last scholarship weekend. One accepted students’ day with a piano audition left (just a small scholarship for music minors, nothing intense) at a public u. 

No panicking. Just waiting. I hate waiting… We will hear from Dd’s top choice over SB. Did I say that I hate waiting? 

• Like 14

After the chaos of the year of getting everything filled out and submitted, decisions made...there is always a tiny niggling in the back of my head wondering if this is all going to work out and if dd being sooooo many hours away is going to be ok with both of us....and then last night dd came and excitedly told me that the coach at the college had shared her state weightlifting video (she won states yesterday) from IG on their story celebrating her win and the college team facetimed her from a competition to congratulate her. ugh my mama's heart felt a bit of peace last night. Deep breath . . . it is going to be ok! 

• Like 19

16 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

After the chaos of the year of getting everything filled out and submitted, decisions made...there is always a tiny niggling in the back of my head wondering if this is all going to work out and if dd being sooooo many hours away is going to be ok with both of us....and then last night dd came and excitedly told me that the coach at the college had shared her state weightlifting video (she won states yesterday) from IG on their story celebrating her win and the college team facetimed her from a competition to congratulate her. ugh my mama's heart felt a bit of peace last night. Deep breath . . . it is going to be ok! 

This is amazing. Congrats on winning states!!!

It is hard to let go - especially when it's a long way from home.

She will do great and you will be ok! Big hugs!!!

• Like 8

I am pleased to report that DD has accepted the offer to attend Agnes Scott College. I am relieved that the process is over and thrilled to begin dorm shopping (I AM A SOUTHERN MOM AT HEART). DD declared it "Christmas" in February. She and DH enjoyed a lovely 1 on 1 trip and campus tour after which DD excitedly declared, "I thought you guys were gonna be broke and I was so worried but then Dad explained and I was like, okuurrrr...save a room for me in Hawaii!!" So all good here!! Don't anybody even hint to any black mil-officers about the expense of this spree!! We're in a good place!! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

On 2/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, ScoutTN said:

@Sneezyone  Got her updated on the acceptances thread. Congrats!!🎈🎊🎈😎🎉

If anyone has girls who want an intimate and personal collegiate experience and are focused on English/creative writing/humanities, I highly recommend HollinsU. It was DDs runner up. In my mind it was an also-ran/safety but it was perfect for DD until she decided, independently, to push for and embrace the opportunities available in a larger metro. It's an older, rural campus that's SUPER DUPER SAFE. DD's Hollins rep poured into her, shared virtual/local events, knows her/her family by name and sight, and worked her butt off to personalize the experience. Everyone should feel that desired/valued at least once in their lives.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

If anyone has girls who want an intimate and personal collegiate experience and are focused on English/creative writing/humanities, I highly recommend HollinsU. It was DDs runner up. In my mind it was an also-ran/safety but it was perfect for DD until she decided, independently, to push embrace the opportunities available in a larger metro. It's an older, rural campus that's SUPER DUPER SAFE. DD's Hollins rep poured into her, shared virtual/local events, knows her/her family by name and sight, and worked her but off to personalize the experience. Everyone should feel that desired/valued at least once in their lives.

This is how my kid felt about Swarthmore. Ultimately, he didn't attend there (3 Ivy acceptances came in with considerably better financial aid - although the Swarthmore aid was also excellent!), but the reps and advisors sure put time into a truly personal experience!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, easypeasy said:

This is how my kid felt about Swarthmore. Ultimately, he didn't attend there (3 Ivy acceptances came in with considerably better financial aid - although the Swarthmore aid was also excellent!), but the reps and advisors sure put time into a truly personal experience!!!

I expect both schools would have been comparable financially (DD decided before the Hollins FA offer came in). For her it was strictly about her own growth. It wasn’t enough of a stretch. For others tho? YES. They even have horses ON CAMPUS that you can care for and ride.

• Like 5

On 2/21/2023 at 5:43 PM, Sneezyone said:

I am pleased to report that DD has accepted the offer to attend Agnes Scott College. I am relieved that the process is over and thrilled to begin dorm shopping (I AM A SOUTHERN MOM AT HEART). DD declared it "Christmas" in February. She and DH enjoyed a lovely 1 on 1 trip and campus tour after which DD excitedly declared, "I thought you guys were gonna be broke and I was so worried but then Dad explained and I was like, okuurrrr...save a room for me in Hawaii!!" So all good here!! Don't anybody even hint to any black mil-officers about the expense of this spree!! We're in a good place!! 

Enjoy! 

She'll be in either Walters or Winship first year if you want to look at dorm layouts. They're both very old school dorms. 

Decatur is kind of the best of both worlds-you have access to Atlanta with an easy MARTA trip, but the campus and area around it don't feel overwhelming. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 8:44 AM, ScoutTN said:

Y’all, I am tired.

This college thing is a marathon. I am so ready to be done. Dd still has a scholarship competition (for big money at her first choice school) and an audition (for a small non-majors’ scholarship at her safety school) to go. April seems a long way away.

Not wishing my days with my girl away by any means, but  I didn’t know about all this winter part of the process before we started.

Thanks for giving us junior parents a heads up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We are still waiting to hear about scholarship at Dd’s #1. Week after next.

Meanwhile, her #2 just added a couple thousand in merit aid for foreign language majors, so her total scholarships are more than the cost of tuition and books. 😎

It good to have options!

• Like 17

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We are still waiting to hear about scholarship at Dd’s #1. Week after next.

Meanwhile, her #2 just added a couple thousand in merit aid for foreign language majors, so her total scholarships are more than the cost of tuition and books. 😎

It good to have options!

Fantastic!  Hoping you hear all good things at the #1, but #2 sounds pretty good...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Fantastic!  Hoping you hear all good things at the #1, but #2 sounds pretty good...

Yes. She would be fine either place, though they are very different. One small and Christian, the other a mid-sized in state public. 

• Like 4

I am trying to understand this very late interview request from my son's 1st or 3rd choice school:  The U asked me to reach out to you and conduct an interview to add color to your application.  The interviewer said he just got the request from the U, and the U told him they needed it done in the next two days.  He interviewed with all the other schools, but this seemed  so odd.???

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, gstharr said:

U told him they needed it done in the next two days.  He interviewed with all the other schools, but this seemed  so odd.???

2 days!?  That is really weird with that fast turnaround! But maybe encouraging!

We are just WAITING.  Kiddo did in person auditions at 6 schools (and had 1 video audition), she finished last week.  We had a BLAST playing tourist, we haven't been anywhere in 3 years.  I did get a gross cold in the middle of it for the first time in years.  Tested covid negative, but who knows.  Pretty sure I got it in the Boston Public Library.  

She does have one firm offer but that is her last choice right now though the finances look ok on it.  2 other music/academic acceptances no merit info yet. And one other academic acceptance.  Her auditions went REALLY well,like she got really positive feedback most places, it made me questioning our list a little or maybe should have allowed more reach.  We will see, we both feel great about all the options, nothing popped out as being a poor choice.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, gstharr said:

I am trying to understand this very late interview request from my son's 1st or 3rd choice school:  The U asked me to reach out to you and conduct an interview to add color to your application.  The interviewer said he just got the request from the U, and the U told him they needed it done in the next two days.  He interviewed with all the other schools, but this seemed  so odd.???

That sounds encouraging to me too. Last of the decisions are being made, your kiddo is likely being very seriously considered.

• Like 4

Dd made the cut for the University Fellows (Honors) program at Samford. One of only 40 kids.  

She turned it down though, because there is NO money attached to the program. She has some merit aid, but not enough and we will not borrow. She was pleased to have been chosen, but after the competition, we knew the school as a whole is just not that good a fit for her, so not a big deal to not get enough money. The UF program used to come with a full tuition scholarship.

We really liked the UF profs and the French professor we met there, but the administration is making/has made some problematic choices. Like defunding the University Fellows program and updating athletic facilities instead of improving the food and the very outdated, not-nice dorms.

So a confidence-builder to have been chosen, but no sadness at saying, “No, thank you.”

Edited by ScoutTN
Revised for clarity.
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

DS just got accepted to CU Boulder but it's not looking good for attending. He received some merit aid, but not a lot. We could still send him, but it's probably not worth it due to the other factor, which is he was put into Exploratory Studies and would have to take classes then attempt to transfer into the major he wants.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS just got accepted to CU Boulder but it's not looking good for attending. He received some merit aid, but not a lot. We could still send him, but it's probably not worth it due to the other factor, which is he was put into Exploratory Studies and would have to take classes then attempt to transfer into the major he wants.

That was the reason why we didn’t dare to put computer science under letters of arts and sciences as the alternative major last academic year. DS18 didn’t want to get into any UC as a freshman and then not be able to major in computer science. He is okay with computer science in engineering school as he has a few majors in engineering school that he would be contented with like software engineering, electrical engineering so less of a risk. 

Edited by Arcadia
clarification
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, idnib said:

I'm anxiously waiting for DS's most coveted schools, but he doesn't want to know after all this time. He's calling it Schrodinger's Results.

March 30, 2023, 5:00 pm e.s.t.

Edited by gstharr
typo
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

You know this college thing is really getting to you when they upgrade the atmospheric river heading your way, and the first thing you think is, “as long as the power stays on so that we can check UC results on Friday…”

Not only power but also the internet towers and cell towers. Luckily we haven’t had AT&T outage but it does happen. Comcast/Xfinity outage is more common. DS17’s community college teachers give out smaller assignments per week with different deadlines so an internet outage would make him panic.

A funny is that every time we have an internet outage, people just go to the office for internet access. The parking lots would be very full. 

• Like 2

@rzberrymom@idnib

My kids community college has a power outage around 5pm and has to close for the day. DS17 has a 6pm class where the lecturer would zoom from the classroom (for students who can’t/won’t come to campus) so we don’t know if there will be class. We are now charging phones, laptops, hotspot just in case.

What’s the probability UCD would have a power outage tomorrow afternoon? Hopefully they are using a cloud service and not just school servers.

ETA: DS17’s class is on via Zoom

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Is it today? What time? 

I was kidding but my kids’ community college went online today due to severe weather. Campus is closed.

Estimated time is 3pm and someone on college confidential (https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-davis-class-of-2027-official-thread/3617611/249) said the admission status is in the email header. 

A friend’s son doesn’t want to go to his first UC acceptance (the one that released in Feb) so she is anxious about today’s UCD release.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I was kidding but my kids’ community college went online today due to severe weather. Campus is closed.

Estimated time is 3pm and someone on college confidential (https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-davis-class-of-2027-official-thread/3617611/249) said the admission status is in the email header. 

A friend’s son doesn’t want to go to his first UC acceptance (the one that released in Feb) so she is anxious about today’s UCD release.

Schools were closed here as well and SAT cancelled for DS tomorrow. My neighbors are being evacuated for the third time this winter. 

• Sad 5

13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Schools were closed here as well and SAT cancelled for DS tomorrow. My neighbors are being evacuated for the third time this winter. 

Ducks are swimming on I-580 near Oakland/Emeryville. A stretch is closed in both directions. 

ETA: https://www.ktvu.com/news/ducks-swim-on-flooded-i-580-freeway-in-oakland.amp

37C211D3-9698-41F8-9F6C-9BBE26FFD7D5.jpeg.7eb009b74324d72cd7e95a917f9913d1.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 6

21 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I take it back!!!!! Grinnell with a massive scholarship!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈👏🏻👏🏻❤️🎈🎉🥂 

Congratulations!!!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1