Menu

Adult Halloween Costumes (for adult party)

QueenCat

We are attending an adult Halloween party. Apparently, these people go "all out" in their parties (which I love). I don't think the super simple costumes we've done will be enough for this party. I'm excited about doing more enhanced costumes. It can be a couples thing or dh & I can have unrelated costumes. I'd like to stay under $100 unless it includes clothing that I can wear other times. 

IMPORTANT FACTOID: I Do Not Sew! 

Suggestions, please 😀

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do you have special interests?  It’s easier to think of ideas that fit a theme 

Hmmm... I'm not sure how they'd play into a costume. I volunteer a lot, read, and am into history. 

I know I prefer costumes that don't have masks. Headbands or hats are fine. Nothing to baggy (don't want to look bigger than I am)... I have a hard time clothes shopping... and I'm tired of ending up as a cat when we go to parties. 

If it helps:

My husband and I are going to a Halloween party hosted by one of his gaming buddies and his partner. They do this every year, and it's quite the to-do. Every year, they choose a theme. This year, the theme is "mythology, real and made-up."

We pulled a bunch of our mythology books off the shelves -- and had a lively discussion about how one defines "mythology" -- but have now more or less decided to dress as Edith Hamilton and Joseph Campbell attending an academic conference.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Alice said:

We once dressed as each other which was easy and cheap. But only really works as something funny if the other people know you well. We wore things that were unique to each other's personalities/professions so it was more than just switching clothes. 

Fun! We won't know very many people there, so that won't work for us. But I like it 😉

I once took two playing cards to the office supply store and had them blow them up to make giant copies. DH and I went to the party as the King and Queen of Hearts. We glued the copies onto poster boards, used yarn to make a loop, and wore them sign-board style, with black clothes underneath. We also wore crowns.

It was fun and inexpensive, though wearing a cardboard square all evening can make it hard to move around.

• Like 2

Scrubs and go as a surgeon or a nurse. Get a lab coat and goggles and you can be a scientist.

My husband's go to Halloween costume is a chef. He bought a chef hat and coat. 

We are not fun at Halloween parties, but those costumes are comfortable and you can put them together for a reasonable price (you are just buying someone's work clothes).

• Like 1

One year my dd and her then-boyfriend (now her dh, my sil) dressed up as a koala and tree. He was the tree in a green tee shirt and faux vine draped around his shoulders and torso. Dd wore a generic brown-gray outfit with muted sweater with a headband with koala ears and a painted face. My sil is tall and dd is petite, and they took pictures of him carrying her. Adorable!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alice said:

We once dressed as each other which was easy and cheap. But only really works as something funny if the other people know you well. We wore things that were unique to each other's personalities/professions so it was more than just switching clothes. 

A friend did something similar they dressed as the host couple it definitely won the night.

Some easy ones we've done Cereal Killers, Dr. Pepper, Fat Amy and Bumper.

14 hours ago, Clarita said:

Scrubs and go as a surgeon or a nurse. Get a lab coat and goggles and you can be a scientist.

My husband's go to Halloween costume is a chef. He bought a chef hat and coat. 

We are not fun at Halloween parties, but those costumes are comfortable and you can put them together for a reasonable price (you are just buying someone's work clothes).

LOL... the host and hostess are a doctor and a nurse... so we'd be dressed as our hosts... funny!

• Haha 1

My dh and I once dressed as Bonnie and Clyde for a Halloween party.  We were able to get everything at a second-hand shop.  

It seems kind of strange now to have dressed up as actual criminals who murdered people!  I think mostly we just liked that style of clothing.

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

My dh and I once dressed as Bonnie and Clyde for a Halloween party.  

It seems kind of strange now to have dressed up as actual criminals who murdered people! 

DH and I talk about this frequently.  Kind of like dressing up as pirates, too.  My good friend named her dogs Bonnie and Clyde.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

My dh and I once dressed as Bonnie and Clyde for a Halloween party.  We were able to get everything at a second-hand shop.  

It seems kind of strange now to have dressed up as actual criminals who murdered people!  I think mostly we just liked that style of clothing.

Strange but not uncommon or unusual 😉

• Like 1