Menu

Concern for Queen Elizabeth II’s health

Innisfree

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I assume if they’ve actually released a statement then it is dire and she is not expected to survive. The BRF’s statements are usually pretty understated. 

The most recent piece I saw mention Harry and Meghan were on their way.  I figured that meant it was pretty serious too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Odds are, as circumspect as the Royal press is, she has actually already passed and they are just waiting for the family to entirely arrive.

Also, the Prime Minister plus leaders of all the countries in the Commonwealth will be notified before news agencies get the official word. 

• Like 2

I am watching Harry and Megan’s plane land in Aberdeen right now on Sky tv—so everyone should be at Balmoral soon.

11 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Also, the Prime Minister plus leaders of all the countries in the Commonwealth will be notified before news agencies get the official word. 

It appears this may have already happened based on Parliament watchers who saw messengers arrive and pull people to give briefings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

William, Edward and Sophie just landed in Aberdeen—they shared a plane. They were dressed in black and went into Range Rovers rather than heliocopter.

So, maybe Sky got it wrong that it was Harry and Megan’s plane? 

I've been watching BBC. Before the plane arrived they said there were 7 members of the royal family on board and speculated that Harry and Megan were with them. After they said maybe they're coming on a separate plane.

9 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Speculation but I wonder if she had a stroke. She was standing and looking good in the pictures from Tuesday with Liz Truss.  Whatever happened(unless she actually passed away in her sleep and they just aren’t announcing) seems sudden.

It can happen suddenly.  I follow a channel with a guy working on a major (physically demanding) project with his dad. - His father was 70, and passed very suddenly from a massive heart attack.  He didn't even have time to say he didn't feel good - he just collapsed and was gone.

I'm glad she was able to celebrate her platinum jubilee.  I hope things are peaceful for her right now - she deserves it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

Apparently Harry is going on his own without Megan. She might be arriving later but he's going by himself first.

Kate isn't going either so Megan not going doesn't necessarily mean anything significant in terms of relationships.

It’s the first day of school for Kate’s kids. Megan is in London. I suspect the queen has already passed, else these women may have gone. 

eta I assume London is where the rest of the ceremonial events will occur. So unless they actually hoped to speak with the Queen before she passed, it seems their presence wasn’t necessary (hmm that sounds harsh, not necessary, but I think you know what I mean - nothing they could do at Balmoral and both have young children to support). 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I don't know anything other than what I read, but on Today.com, it says that the protocol is for flags across Britain are to be lowered within 10 minutes of the Queen's last breath. So I would guess that she has not passed yet.

When she takes her last breath, or when it’s announced that she took her last breath (ie, died)? Because it takes more than 10 minutes for that kind of news to spread - I’m sure they wouldn’t even share the news beyond closest family not present within 10 minutes. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I don't know anything other than what I read, but on Today.com, it says that the protocol is for flags across Britain are to be lowered within 10 minutes of the Queen's last breath. So I would guess that she has not passed yet.

It seems the Union Jack will fly at half mast but not the Royal Standard because there will be still be a monarch (Charles) after she dies. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

When she takes her last breath, or when it’s announced that she took her last breath (ie, died)? Because it takes more than 10 minutes for that kind of news to spread - I’m sure they wouldn’t even share the news beyond closest family not present within 10 minutes. 

https://www.today.com/news/news/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-rcna15900

Here is the link to this description of the protocol. First a phone call to the Prime Minister immediately after the last breath. Then the Privy Counsel is informed (it doesn't say the procedure for how this happens -- phone call?). Then flags down within 10 minutes.

https://britishheritage.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies

Here is another link with some other details about how the public is to be informed. This list includes other heads of state being informed before the general public.

I guess we are likely to see it play out for ourselves soon, sadly enough. No one has experiences this for 70 years, so it is new for almost everyone.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

As long as people are speculating, there can be a sudden decline showing that the death process has begun, but then active death can still take up to three days.  Or even a few days longer in someone who has a strong body.  (This is my experience having gone through this numerous times now with older family members).  But a lot of that time the dying person is not really aware of people being around them and can even be in a comatose state. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As long as people are speculating, there can be a sudden decline showing that the death process has begun, but then active death can still take up to three days.  Or even a few days longer in someone who has a strong body.  (This is my experience having gone through this numerous times now with older family members).  But a lot of that time the dying person is not really aware of people being around them and can even be in a comatose state. 

We knew for two weeks that my mother was dying. In the very final stages, she lingered for five or six days.

• Like 1

It is also true that, despite how many media sites want everyone to believe that there are “Fifteen Crazy Rules that All Royals Must Follow” and an exact plan for handling the queens death, the people involved might decide they aren’t releasing the info until her closest family are told even if that means a delay in the flag protocol.  Procedures are made up and they can be changed. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

https://www.today.com/news/news/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-rcna15900

Here is the link to this description of the protocol. First a phone call to the Prime Minister immediately after the last breath. Then the Privy Counsel is informed (it doesn't say the procedure for how this happens -- phone call?). Then flags down within 10 minutes.

https://britishheritage.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies

Here is another link with some other details about how the public is to be informed. This list includes other heads of state being informed before the general public.

I guess we are likely to see it play out for ourselves soon, sadly enough. No one has experiences this for 70 years, so it is new for almost everyone.

The strongest thing for me is that the BBC people got into their black clothes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know that much about UK politics, but being prime minister for two days and then the Queen dies has to be difficult. 

It’s an extraordinarily difficult time for such a huge transition. A brand new prime minister, a nation dreading winter fuel shortages and high prices, and now this. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know that much about UK politics, but being prime minister for two days and then the Queen dies has to be difficult. 

She was passed a note while on camera in Parliament, before William et al arrived in Scotland.  (Charles was already there).  That led to much speculation.  But nothing would have been publicly announced before all the senior royals were at Balmoral.

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

The strongest thing for me is that the BBC people got into their black clothes.

One presenter was criticized for the black tie before confirmation she had passed.  Media has jumped the gun before.

She lived a life of duty to the end.

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I thought it was close too. So many red flags lately. Prince Philip passing probably progressed things along. 

I don’t doubt this, but the first thing DH said when I reminded him how old her mother was when she passed is, “She had COVID not that long ago, right?”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The King will be styled King Charles III…. I guess the speculation over his regnal name is over.

58 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I wonder if in modern times the incoming monarch will no longer take a new name but continue with the one they are known to the world.

I think after decades of being so publicly known as Prince Charles, it would have been very hard to adapt to calling him something else! Another name, I mean, not just Prince to King. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, kbutton said:

The bottom of that tree looks like Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.