Menu

Correction The good and the Beautiful

Scarlett

Tomorrow will be my first day helping my boss’s 9 year old/4th grader with her school.  They are using the BF curriculum. Anyone use it? 

I am excited.  I have had her in the office with me many times and helped her with her work around my other duties…..but this will be better.  There is an issue with the girl’s mom…..she is having a difficult time letting go of actually homeschooling her even though the mom is gone 5 full days a week running a restaurant. My boss has been working on  helping her to see she can’t do it all. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

Yes, some of the religious stuff in it does not agree with what dad is teaching her, but we can certainly work with it.  This child does not love writing but had recently become more interested in reading.

I just wondered what y’all thought of it.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s an allusion to a Bible verse. “How beautiful are the feet of them who bring good news of good things “. It’s a Christian literature based curriculum 

It is also that the owner, Rea Berg, loves the feet of the little ones who are sitting and reading books, you know, with the big books on their laps, and their little legs sticking out in front with the bottoms of their feet out there. Seems like it used to be part of her logo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s an allusion to a Bible verse. “How beautiful are the feet of them who bring good news of good things “. It’s a Christian literature based curriculum 

Why is it the feet that are beautiful though?  I mean, I know this is questioning Scripture but why laud the feet of someone bringing good news?  Why isn’t it their voices or mouths that are beautiful?  They don’t preach with their toes!

12 hours ago, KeriJ said:

They have moved away from that somewhat.

Yes, I think there has been at least two big revisions to make it more usable secularly.  I did a lot of reading up on it when my boss first told me about it but that has been about a year ago.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, I think there has been at least two big revisions to make it more usable secularly.  I did a lot of reading up on it when my boss first told me about it but that has been about a year ago.  

The study guides are where any religious stuff would be, and the website mentions that those are not included with the packages for charter school purchases.

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Why is it the feet that are beautiful though?  I mean, I know this is questioning Scripture but why laud the feet of someone bringing good news?  Why isn’t it their voices or mouths that are beautiful?  They don’t preach with their toes!

But it is the feet that take them to the places they must go. It's so much easier to stay in your chair and not get up and go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am feeling a little dumb……maybe a lot dumb.  It is not beautiful feet.  It is the good and beautiful.  

The day was spectacular.  I got there at 9:30 and by 10 her dad was out the door and I had glorious freedom with her all day.  We worked from 10 until about 3 with at least 2 breaks  plus half hour or so for lunch.  We basically did one days lessons. I think it will go faster as we get into it….but it was wonderful. I had so much fun.

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am feeling a little dumb……maybe a lot dumb.  It is not beautiful feet.  It is the good and beautiful.  

The day was spectacular.  I got there at 9:30 and by 10 her dad was out the door and I had glorious freedom with her all day.  We worked from 10 until about 3 with at least 2 breaks  plus half hour or so for lunch.  We basically did one days lessons. I think it will go faster as we get into it….but it was wonderful. I had so much fun.

TGATB is a world away from Beautiful Feef lol.

I know people who use it and love it.  We still haven’t decided on schooling for my rising second grader so I’ve been doing some more research.  I know people love it, but I have some qualms. I’m glad you had a good day!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

TGATB is a world away from Beautiful Feef lol.

I know people who use it and love it.  We still haven’t decided on schooling for my rising second grader so I’ve been doing some more research.  I know people love it, but I have some qualms. I’m glad you had a good day!

I told you I am  dumb.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha 2

• Scarlett changed the title to Correction The good and the Beautiful

Nother question . . . are these people both good AND beautiful or is one group good while the opposing force is beautiful but less good? Is this another Bible verse I don’t know? 

As far as curriculum names go I’ve always thought Abeka was the weirdest, but if you start a company you can name it whatever you want. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use and really like the good and the beautiful. I like that it is all in one although I fought that for years.  It helps me keep up while schooling 5.  This is for their LA what most people use.  I also like their younger math and I've used the history. It was ok. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Nother question . . . are these people both good AND beautiful or is one group good while the opposing force is beautiful but less good? Is this another Bible verse I don’t know? 

As far as curriculum names go I’ve always thought Abeka was the weirdest, but if you start a company you can name it whatever you want. 

I don't think it's in reference to any Bible verse. I knew nothing about this curriculum, so I looked up their "About" page and it looks like they are going for a curriculum that is "good" in the sense of being "clean" (I assume no adult themes, potentially offensive language, etc.) and "beautiful" in the sense of being high-quality and visually appealing. 

Abeka is a weird name, I agree. 🙂 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Abeka started out as A Beka -- The husband's name started with A and the wife was "beka" -- Later they combined it to Abeka

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Abeka started out as A Beka -- The husband's name started with A and the wife was "beka" -- Later they combined it to Abeka

Really? I always thought it meant something like a children's tithe, what is due to the temple of the child to honor God.

Scarlett,

We are using The Good and the Beautiful.  I needed something more laid out for now.  My son is working on the level 2 stuff still.  My daughter is doing the Kindy math (she is doing the pilot program for the new Well-Trained Mind Reading as well as Handwriting Without Tears).  I'm really looking forward to this school year.  School starts next week (very light then for real the following week).

I think TGTB is very tweakable regarding a range of beliefs.  Its part of the reason we chose it.  I have to tweak *anything* because of beliefs anyway.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

Scarlett,

We are using The Good and the Beautiful.  I needed something more laid out for now.  My son is working on the level 2 stuff still.  My daughter is doing the Kindy math (she is doing the pilot program for the new Well-Trained Mind Reading as well as Handwriting Without Tears).  I'm really looking forward to this school year.  School starts next week (very light then for real the following week).

I think TGTB is very tweakable regarding a range of beliefs.  Its part of the reason we chose it.  I have to tweak *anything* because of beliefs anyway.  

Thank you, I am happy to hear you like it.  I looked it over last year and I too think no more tweaking is required than any other curriculum including public school. 

It was only her third lesson in LA.  She is halfway through the Math already because she started it maybe in March of this year. 
She is in 4th grade but working on level 3. I haven’t investigated that but she says the levels are off.  Either way it seems to be appropriate for her.  
It is a very visually appealing set up.  I love it so far. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:19 AM, Scarlett said:

They have a Charter School line. I work for a public school charter and that’s the button we have our families push if they want to order from them.

I have many families using The Good and the Beautiful (families can use religious curriculum at my school if their work samples don’t mention God and they have to buy it from their own pocket, can’t use school funding) and I must say I am impressed. It is a good curriculum. Their math curriculum, I understand, is great.

56 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thank you, I am happy to hear you like it.  I looked it over last year and I too think no more tweaking is required than any other curriculum including public school. 

It was only her third lesson in LA.  She is halfway through the Math already because she started it maybe in March of this year. 
She is in 4th grade but working on level 3. I haven’t investigated that but she says the levels are off.  Either way it seems to be appropriate for her.  
It is a very visually appealing set up.  I love it so far. 

They are making adjustments to make the levels line up with grades but the level 3 that is currently available is considered grade 4 or advanced 3rd.   Math is supposed to be on grade level but I think it's still advanced. My daughter went from level 5 last year straight into Saxon 8/7 and so far is passing tests with 100% without doing the lessons (so we know where to start) so I really think 5 was advanced.  

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have many families using The Good and the Beautiful (families can use religious curriculum at my school if their work samples don’t mention God and they have to buy it from their own pocket, can’t use school funding) and I must say I am impressed. It is a good curriculum. Their math curriculum, I understand, is great.

That makes sense.  The girls mom purchased it outright so I am certain she got the non charter version….but it still doesn’t seem overly religious.  It does emphasize God, good character etc.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

They are making adjustments to make the levels line up with grades but the level 3 that is currently available is considered grade 4 or advanced 3rd.   Math is supposed to be on grade level but I think it's still advanced. My daughter went from level 5 last year straight into Saxon 8/7 and so far is passing tests with 100% without doing the lessons (so we know where to start) so I really think 5 was advanced.  

Ok good to know.  She is math bright  so that makes sense.  She flies through the math and struggles with the LA esp the reading aloud and the handwriting.  

I had an epiphany yesterday…….I always thought a homeschool day should start with math since that is the TO ME the most difficult.   We started with LA yesterday because we planned to not do math.  We had a little time at the end of the day and she flew through a math lesson.  So I know now SHE needs to start with LA when her brain is fresh.  Her dad told me when she is with her mom they often get started on school work late, late in the day.  This age does not do well doing school work that way.  

It also occurs  to me I should have started with LA for my son as well.  SMH.  Oh well, he is one course away from graduating with an engineering degree and is already working full time so I guess it worked out.  But live and learn.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

had an epiphany yesterday…….I always thought a homeschool day should start with math since that is the TO ME the most difficult.

I did that until last week, because "everyone" says to do math first. Now we start with handwriting first because that's our hardest subject.

• Like 2

One of my kids have used the LA 4 and Math 4.  It really is beautiful!  I loved the LA.  Not crazy about the spelling, but she is a good speller anyhow, so it wasn't a problem.  Math was good too.  I thought it had too many problems though.  Overall, we used LA and math for multiple years.  Not the history though. 

On 8/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, vonfirmath said:

It is very common to name company's after yourselves. HEB in Texas is named after the founder's son Howard E Butts

I wonder if it would have found as much success if he had gone the Sam Walton style of naming his megastore? 😄

On the topic of TGTB, my family uses quite a few of their products.  I think they are best used when the kid is already a decent reader, but after that its good.  There isn't an overload of pages to do either, which we all appreciate.  We have used the math for our second year now and LA for about 4.  Used a few science units too but I wouldn't use their history.  All the math and LA are free to download in their entirety so you can fully preview or even just print out and use.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, vonfirmath said:

According to the ABeka rep who spoke at a school convention I attended, it's because Beka Horton wrote many of the early books; and people would say, "Oh, that's a Beka book." She was (is?) the wife of Arlin Horton, and they founded ABeka Books, which were written and published for Pensacola Christian School, which they also founded.

I decided to buy a couple of the updated science units for this year from TGTB.  There are now student journals, but one thing I do not like is that there are still science vocabulary words that need to be copied and/or cut from the main book.  But the graphics, photos, and color are amazing.  I felt like we needed it somewhere in our homeschool.  I wasn't sure if we'd do anything formal as I want to focus on the basics and habit training, but I think they will be good for us this year.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:18 PM, KungFuPanda said:

for some reason I always had the idle thought maybe it was a play on ABC phonemes as long A, b, hard C. This is just me making up a backstory for myself. Haha.

Edited by calbear
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ellie said:

According to the ABeka rep who spoke at a school convention I attended, it's because Beka Horton wrote many of the early books; and people would say, "Oh, that's a Beka book." She was (is?) the wife of Arlin Horton, and they founded ABeka Books, which were written and published for Pensacola Christian School, which they also founded.

This was the story I always heard. I’d never heard a version where the A was for the husband’s initial until @vonfirmathbrought it up on this thread. The husband’s-initial -version of the story seems less cutesy and ridiculous to me. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, KungFuPanda said:

Yes. That’s WHY I think it’s weird. 🤣

Well there did used to be a curriculum called “Suffer Little Children”. Kinda doubt that made it through the early 90s and the digital revolution but what do I know. I did always think, Bible verse notwithstanding, that was a spectacularly foolish choice. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

They need to have their own college. What other school would Abeka prepare a student for? I always thought their ads should say “Abeka: We’re Not As Bad As ACE.”

• Haha 2