Menu

William and Kate are the most boring, vanilla royals ever…

Sneezyone

3 minutes ago, maize said:

Their algorithm is weird then; usually content is better targeted. Is there anywhere in settings for this site/portal where you can click on interests or something so it shows you stuff you are more interested in?

I almost never see stuff about any royals on my various feeds.

This is my work computer and I haven’t had it all that long. I’ve tried to go in and look but none of the settings seem likely to assist. Almost all of the headlines and photos are clickbait-ish but there is usually some local content related to my job. I presume what I see is largely controlled by what everyone else in the enterprise is clicking on.

46 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This is my work computer and I haven’t had it all that long. I’ve tried to go in and look but none of the settings seem likely to assist. Almost all of the headlines and photos are clickbait-ish but there is usually some local content related to my job. I presume what I see is largely controlled by what everyone else in the enterprise is clicking on.

That does sound irritating!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I am not clicking on this crap. For the love of god it’s just giant headlines and awkward photos.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about; when my work computer defaulted to Edge browser I saw the same stuff. <shrug> Lots of click-bait articles. I get that it's annoying but you don't have to read it. Why not just ignore it, open up the pages/apps you want/need, and get on with your day? (Not a question you have to answer.) 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

It's the kind of mild insult that isn't really one, imo, because it's so childish. Adult equivalent of 'not cool like me'. I'd guess it's just not a thing you hear grownups actually say much, so hard to extrapolate. 

I'm very vanilla. Straight edge. No drink, no drugs, no scandals, no kinks. I'm happy to be vanilla 🙂 Its an insult without much sting. 

I think it’s like calling someone ‘basic.’ The kids feel this is an insult and adults are going “oookaaaay.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think it’s like calling someone ‘basic.’ The kids feel this is an insult and adults are going “oookaaaay.”

To me, it's an insult as a way to dismiss what someone else does or says. Like being called a millennial or a boomer. So not a racist insult, but definitely one to put someone else in their place.

• Like 6

This thread cracks me up.   And there’s probably more pushback just because of who wrote it than anything, which is a little ridiculous, but whatever.    

I only wish someone could make a thread about our (American) ‘boring’ leaders.   What I wouldn’t give to think of our leaders as “quiet, keeps to themselves, does decent work for some of their pet causes (even if some of it doesn’t come off well like the Caribbean trip), and keeps their trap shut.”     
But alas, that thread will never happen.  Our idiots on both sides of the aisle are anything but classy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

This thread cracks me up.   And there’s probably more pushback just because of who wrote it than anything, which is a little ridiculous, but whatever.    

I only wish someone could make a thread about our (American) ‘boring’ leaders.   What I wouldn’t give to think of our leaders as “quiet, keeps to themselves, does decent work for some of their pet causes (even if some of it doesn’t come off well like the Caribbean trip), and keeps their trap shut.”     
But alas, that thread will never happen.  Our idiots on both sides of the aisle are anything but classy.  

It has had me scratching my head too.  I don’t think it was meant as much…..just a little vent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

To me, it's an insult as a way to dismiss what someone else does or says. Like being called a millennial or a boomer. So not a racist insult, but definitely one to put someone else in their place.

Yes, but whether it works or not is entirely up to the recipient.  It's a juvenile insult that says more about the person tossing it out there than anything else.  They can think they've landed a blow all day long, but it's only effective if you perceive it as such.  It's one of those impotent comments, like "what about socialization?" that might cause worry if you're insecure but elicits more of a "bless her heart" reaction in anyone with a bit of experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Yes, the thread being started by an American, scoffing at the silly people who haven't tossed out the boring, useless monarchy like the smart and savvy Americans did ages ago. Like we're backward and don't have the good sense to embrace the American way of life. Not only that, but the intrusive annoyance info her life is the biggest issue. Like, "Go ahead and live your silly life  but keep it out of my space. But if you must be in my space, be more entertaining and don't bore me." This is my take on this thread, and many of the Americans haven't a clue how dismissive they come across. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yes, the thread being started by an American, scoffing at the silly people who haven't tossed out the boring, useless monarchy like the smart and savvy Americans did ages ago. Like we're backward and don't have the good sense to embrace the American way of life. Not only that, but the intrusive annoyance info her life is the biggest issue. Like, "Go ahead and live your silly life  but keep it out of my space. But if you must be in my space, be more entertaining and don't bore me." This is my take on this thread, and many of the Americans haven't a clue how dismissive they come across. 

You're funny.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, marbel said:

Yeah, I know what you're talking about; when my work computer defaulted to Edge browser I saw the same stuff. <shrug> Lots of click-bait articles. I get that it's annoying but you don't have to read it. Why not just ignore it, open up the pages/apps you want/need, and get on with your day? (Not a question you have to answer.) 

It was just a minor Friday annoyance that folks have turned into a bash sneezy opportunity. It’s fine. My skin is dark and thick (figuratively, not literally like so many medical practitioners believe).

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, wintermom said:

she did say it was an unpopular opinion.  I’ve never thought of sneezyone as someone who holds up the American way of life as being ideal.  😆

she made a statement based on something she (and I) see constantly: the endless stream of royal coverage.   

The US has tons of problems and every thread about those problems is full of people from other countries criticizing them, sooooo… 🤷🏻‍♀️      Granted sneezy did start the thread, but I doubt she thought people would get this defensive over billionaires.  💰💰💰.     

as for the monarchy, during Jubilee, there was a ton of talk about the younger generation not participating anymore because they are sick of it.     I was thinking it would last til George’s reign, but  that’s probably wishful thinking.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

This 

Exactly this

And that is why it is racist in a subtle, intentional way.

Some if you don't seem to see what is going on on this thread. I don't know why. 

I didn't know what vanilla meant as far as insults go but I sure could tell by the tone that it was meant to be very insulting

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Idalou said:

You're funny.

Weird. Wasn't an attempt to be funny. What exactly do you think is the big joke here?

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It was just a minor Friday annoyance that folks have turned into a bash sneezy opportunity. It’s fine. My skin is dark and thick (figuratively, not literally like so many medical practitioners believe).

No, it was entirely Sheezy bashing everyone who didn't agree with you. What were you expecting with your thread. You started off saying it was unpopular. You didn't seem to understand that many parts of the world an not going to lay down and let you show your distain on 'our' way of life. Sorry. We deserve a little dignity. 

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

she did say it was an unpopular opinion.  I’ve never thought of sneezyone as someone who holds up the American way of life as being ideal.  😆

she made a statement based on something she (and I) see constantly: the endless stream of royal coverage.   

The US has tons of problems and every thread about those problems is full of people from other countries criticizing them, sooooo… 🤷🏻‍♀️      Granted sneezy did start the thread, but I doubt she thought people would get this defensive over billionaires.  💰💰💰.     

as for the monarchy, during Jubilee, there was a ton of talk about the younger generation not participating anymore because they are sick of it.     I was thinking it would last til George’s reign, but  that’s probably wishful thinking.  

This was never a bash the US, it was an attempt at "the colonies' (as no UK citizens chimed in) at pointing out that not everying in your media feed is about drama or entertainment. Many people on this forum take topics very seriously - why this topic is a joke to so many Americans is weird. I guess you'd like to point the finger in another direction to deflect the spotlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

This was never a bash the US, it was an attempt at "the colonies' (as no UK citizens chimed in) at pointing out that not everying in your media feed is about drama or entertainment. Many people on this forum take topics very seriously (Lord, please don’t ever let me be one of those people who takes everything so seriously, especially stuff like this.  Amen.)  - why this topic is a joke to so many Americans is weird. I guess you'd like to point the finger in another direction to deflect the spotlight. (We’re always in the spotlight and on this forum, lots of people from other countries like to add their two cents about all the things we’re doing wrong on those many thread, many threads.  We don’t get our knickers in a twist.) 

(Mine bolded and italicized) 

maybe choose not to take offense to so much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I mean, just scroll past if 'celebs' you don't like pop up on your screen? I've had Ezra Miller today, a person I have quite unpleasant thoughts about 

Ain't starting a thread on it. 

It's not a big deal. 

But hey, happy to indulge in some 'wow, those crazy Americans just lost themselves women's health rights! Can you believe it?' if that's the tone we want.

As I've said before, you guys (through accident of birth or migration) are Rome; the rest of us are Gaul. The price of being Rome is that Gaul is impacted by you; the Gauls have opinions. 

By contrast, deciding to (mildly) mock Gaul is just a wee bit ott. W&K have zero affect on your lives. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

(We’re always in the spotlight and on this forum, lots of people from other countries like to add their two cents about all the things we’re doing wrong on those many thread, many threads.  We don’t get our knickers in a twist.) 

The Americans on the forum become less knicker twisted over the years. I had someone pm me once about their very hurt feelings because I said I didn't like pumpkin pie a few times.

Personally I find it interesting to watch the slight lessening in "talking to Americans" manners.

8 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m just glad I’m here for this one.  I missed posting in the cupcake and shopping cart threads.  

I don’t  understand the rudeness. I am American but I can understand and respect the heads of states of other countries. Even if those heads of states are different from the political prime minister. 

This whole thread was a “question “ that wasn’t actually a question. A “problem “ that isn’t a problem. I would be extremely surprised at anyone who doesn’t understand how newsfeeds work- even on a work computer. 

Over the years we’ve been told over and over again that respecting others means respecting their culture. Why doesn’t that apply to people from the UK and their commonwealth?  

This thread isn’t about the sociopolitical issues with colonialism. There are real issues that will need to be addressed there in the next few years but it has zero to do with the entertainment value of the current or future heads of state. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This thread is so weird. 

Will and Kate aren't celebrities. They aren't in the business of being famous to generate personal wealth. That's not the function of the monarchy. Will and Kate having their portrait painted was not a vanity project. Heads of state have their portrait painted. US First Ladies have their portraits painted, too. I didn't vote for Michelle or Hillary; I voted for their husbands. Maybe we should stop painting first ladies since they are unelected "extras". 

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on constitutional monarchies, but I know enough to say that the UK seems pretty damn stable in comparison to the crap show the US has going on right now, so maybe their system isn't such a bad plan. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know what to say.   I don’t think I’ve said anything remotely ugly about the royals.  But I guess they’re off-the-table as far as things we can talk about freely here?   Ok.   That’s kind of surprising, but it is what it is, I guess. 

I guess when the US is the butt of jokes and gets so much criticism from all the countries repped here and especially our own citizens (we can take the criticism, trust me!) that I just think it’s ok for someone to post a (what I considered) lighthearted thread about another country’s leaders.   I mean there are many worse things to say about someone than they’re boring, right?    I do suspect this pushback has way more to do with the OP being Sneezy than the topic, but I’m sure no one will admit to that.    

And my comment about shopping carts was not meant to be nasty or rude, but humorous.  I laugh at things.  All kinds of things.  Even at funerals.  Gasp.   It was meant to bring a little levity to a topic that went off the rails and got so many people upset.   
Yall didn’t get it.  That’s ok!  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

Maybe some of it also has to do with (I can only speak for me here) being so critical of my own govt, that it feels like everyone is that way.   Do other people really feel patriotic towards their country? Get offended?   That’s a foreign concept to me and probably to a whole lot of people, at least for the past 20 years or so, in the US.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Maybe some of it also has to do with (I can only speak for me here) being so critical of my own govt, that it feels like everyone is that way.   Do other people really feel patriotic towards their country? Get offended?   That’s a foreign concept to me and probably to a whole lot of people, at least for the past 20 years or so, in the US.  

The patriotism vibe here has changed over the last few years, to be sure. 

We non-Americans used to get told off for not being appropriately patriotic towards America.

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The patriotism vibe here has changed over the last few years, to be sure. 

We non-Americans used to get told off for not being appropriately patriotic towards America.

It’s gotten more patriotic there?  

yeah, there’s this rhetoric of the US being this number one world power and it’s just not.   We lack so much of what other first world countries have.   I’d be curious if we’re considered ‘number one’ in anything (good) anymore at all.  Or if we ever even really were at the top of any lists.   I think a lot was just propaganda.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I guess when the US is the butt of jokes and gets so much criticism from all the countries repped here and especially our own citizens (we can take the criticism, trust me!) that I just think it’s ok for someone to post a (what I considered) lighthearted thread about another country’s leaders.   I mean there are many worse things to say about someone than they’re boring, right?    I do suspect this pushback has way more to do with the OP being Sneezy than the topic, but I’m sure no one will admit to that.    

And my comment about shopping carts was not meant to be nasty or rude, but humorous.  I laugh at things.  All kinds of things.  Even at funerals.  Gasp.   It was meant to bring a little levity to a topic that went off the rails and got so many people upset.   
Yall didn’t get it.  That’s ok!  🤷🏻‍♀️

I read through most threads, and I'm struggling to think of a single one where "all the countries repped here" were calling the US or it's political system a joke. You're right that topics are introduced by Americans,  though. I think that's as it should be - dialogue and respectful discussion is wonderful. 

It's one thing to criticize one's own political leaders and struggles, but it's not a great idea to make fun of others' leaders with a complete ignorance of their significance while you know they're in the audience. And to then pretend that you're really just trying to understand their role is the real kicker. Better to acknowledge the faux pas and use it as a learning opportunity. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I read through most threads, and I'm struggling to think of a single one where "all the countries repped here" were calling the US or it's political system a joke. You're right that topics are introduced by Americans,  though. I think that's as it should be - dialogue and respectful discussion is wonderful. 

It's one thing to criticize one's own political leaders and struggles, but it's not a great idea to make fun of others' leaders with a complete ignorance of their significance while you know they're in the audience. And to then pretend that you're really just trying to understand their role is the real kicker. Better to acknowledge the faux pas and use it as a learning opportunity. 

But I don't think anyone was calling the UK or Kate and William or the Commonwealth a joke?  I mean, as an American, I think a lot of us are insanely jealous of you guys because your countries seem more stable and safer.  I read it as more of a bemusement at algorithms and what generates press.  I was grateful for the post about constitutional monarchies being more stable than republics.  It brought up a lot of good points that I hadn't considered before.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

But I don't think anyone was calling the UK or Kate and William or the Commonwealth a joke?  I mean, as an American, I think a lot of us are insanely jealous of you guys because your countries seem more stable and safer.  I read it as more of a bemusement at algorithms and what generates press.  I was grateful for the post about constitutional monarchies being more stable than republics.  It brought up a lot of good points that I hadn't considered before.  

William and Kate were called "extras" and likened to the Kardashians as having only entertainment value. That's pretty dismissive, IMO. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Ok yeah, I had to go back and look because I couldn’t remember who said what about their responsibilities since I wasn’t in that conversation.    I just thought boring was an odd thing to be upset over.  But that’s coming from an American who’d give anything to have leaders that could be called ‘boring’.  

much of the time we talk about the US’ response to anything in our country, there are posters from other countries chiming in their opinions and how we should do things.  Which I kinda like, because honestly those other countries seem to have it together more than ours on many (most) of those topics.    But I don’t really see the pushback on people who aren’t American.  But it is possible I’ve missed posts like that.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

William and Kate were called "extras" and likened to the Kardashians as having only entertainment value. That's pretty dismissive, IMO. 

I think I just figured something out.  Which is saying a lot because of my migraine right now.    I took the kardashian statements as that’s how media is “marketing” them (the royals: William and Kate, also Harry and Meghan).  That’s why we’re seeing them constantly on our news feeds.    They’re boring (again, a good boring!) but here they’ve become tabloid fodder, like the kardashians or whoever.  We see them all the time.  Heck, I don’t follow the royals and even I know some of the gossip and I certainly don’t read up on them.    But I do mostly have ‘entertainment’ category on my news feed and there they are on my feed all the time.   I didn’t take it as sneezy saying they were equivalent to the K’s, which I could be wrong, who knows.  But that’s not at all how I read it.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are worse things than boring royals in your media feeds, like how every now and then Youtube yells "Let's talk about s-x, Baby!" at me. 

I guess the algorithm has figured out that I'm single, so IVF is the only way for me to conceive, but hasn't figured out that I'm too poor. 

23 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I think I just figured something out.  Which is saying a lot because of my migraine right now.    I took the kardashian statements as that’s how media is “marketing” them (the royals: William and Kate, also Harry and Meghan).  That’s why we’re seeing them constantly on our news feeds.    They’re boring (again, a good boring!) but here they’ve become tabloid fodder, like the kardashians or whoever.  We see them all the time.  Heck, I don’t follow the royals and even I know some of the gossip and I certainly don’t read up on them.    But I do mostly have ‘entertainment’ category on my news feed and there they are on my feed all the time.   I didn’t take it as sneezy saying they were equivalent to the K’s, which I could be wrong, who knows.  But that’s not at all how I read it.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I took it from that post and most others that op wrote that she didn't even think they were worth as much as those trashy entertainers you mention. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I took it from that post and most others that op wrote that she didn't even think they were worth as much as those trashy entertainers you mention. 

I read it as the royals were infinitely better people but less drama filled, and so why would the entertainment algorithms be pushing it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

That’s really interesting.  I thought in one of the first few posts she talked about the good they did, but how the tabloids (and for me and I guess, her computer, too) treated them as another K family, just not as much drama. Like I said, I don’t follow them and still hear some of that crap (I don’t believe it, btw, but whatever.  I’m sure enough do).  They do the same thing here with Harry and Meghan.  It’s really relentless.  And it is very celebrity-esque, Hollywood flash, even though they’re across the pond. Like sneezy, I also don’t get the fascination, but it is always there in your face, ykwim?   

this whole thread has been sort of eye-opening.   So for people who live in South America, are they getting the non-stop coverage of them, as well?  What about some of the African countries?   Are the royals reported in say, Ethiopia, with as much fervor?    I mean I understand the US historical link, but you’d think we’d (our media) be past it, you know?  So what about other countries? 

Edited by WildflowerMom
Migraine makes me an idiot
  • Like 2

We see a lot of negative coverage about Megan Markle . 

I cannot answer your question 

I personally don't buy woman's weekly or any of those mags that have fantasy stories about people. I very rarely look at entertainment news. Instead I view 3 international news and 4 Aus new every day. I don't really scroll down enough for the gossip 

I very rarely look at movies maybe 19 times a year. I don't have a television or anything like that 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’ve got one more question and I’ll stop, but this has me thinking… 

do y’all see negative coverage of them?  Or is it mostly positive?    

We see both because you need both to manufacture gossipy scandal. 

There was a well known scandal of Prince Philip having been dreadfully racist to an Indigenous bloke back in the day, and a few years ago, when they wanted positive "news" stories, there was one from the bloke saying the prince had been quoted out of context and they'd had a real good chinwag.

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

We see both because you need both to manufacture gossipy scandal. 

There was a well known scandal of Prince Philip having been dreadfully racist to an Indigenous bloke back in the day, and a few years ago, when they wanted positive "news" stories, there was one from the bloke saying the prince had been quoted out of context and they'd had a real good chinwag.

I always thought Prince Phillip increadably funny. He reminded me of a very elderly relative I had. He was a fossil of a time long past. 

I have ‘entertainment’ as the majority feed on my home page.  I noticed that once the “Harry and Meghan” stories died down, the William and Kate stuff picked up and its been more negative than usual.  I guess that’s to make up for the lack of stories about H&M now.   I hardly ever see them doing anything related to their jobs, but I did see William with the newspapers.   The portrait news was all about how awkward they looked, not necessarily the portrait, but them.   Who wouldn’t look awkward showing a huge portrait of themselves to the world?!  😆 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:51 PM, Sneezyone said:

🚨 Unpopular opinion 🚨

Who among their subjects can relate to that? Jesus is a better exemplar and costs a lot less to worship, lol.

I don't think it's important for their subjects to "relate" to them in any way. The monarch is the monarch, the end.

• Like 1