Help settle a long-running marital dispute WRT BBQ ribs

Sneezyone

When are pork ribs fully cooked?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the closest option

• When they’re blackened regardless of texture or blood
    • When there’s no blood but you need to tug the meat off the bone
    • When the meat comes away from the bone cleanly but it’s still ‘toothsome’
    • After they’ve been steeped in sauce and bones/meat are retrieved separately
    • Other, pls. Explain.
    • Pork ribs? Who eats those?
    • When the meat falls off the bone, no sauce required.

6 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I cannot vote because there's no option for this Texan. We don't cook our ribs in sauce; we rub them and slow-cook them over a fire. They are well cooked when the meat falls off the bones.

I will edit to add that option. I prefer a ‘toothsome’ rib, no sauce just dry rub. DH is all in on steeping in BBQ sauce!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I put sauce because that’s how I used to make them back when I still ate them. Maybe seared first to blacken, but with a 16 ounce bottle of Coke and a large bottle of Baby Ray’s in the slow cooker all day. 

My favorite was actually this smokehouse restaurant (that DH says wasn’t technically barbecue) would smoke it the long way, blackened and fall off the bone soft. It wasn’t marinated but they bring out three kinds of homemade barbecue sauce to add to the top.  I always went for the smoked brisket there & DH always went for the pork ribs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I put sauce because that’s how I used to make them back when I still ate them. Maybe seared first to blacken, but with a 16 ounce bottle of Coke and a large bottle of Baby Ray’s in the slow cooker all day. 

My favorite was actually this smokehouse restaurant (that DH says wasn’t technically barbecue) would smoke it the long way, blackened and fall off the bone soft. It wasn’t marinated but they bring out three kinds of homemade barbecue sauce to add to the top.  I always went for the smoked brisket there & DH always went for the pork ribs. 

I feel like the steep is a pit master sacrilege. Ugh. I’m going to bed. Maybe tomorrow’s viewers will turn the tide.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We marinate the pork ribs for days before grilling. Then apply a honey glaze when grilling. The meat have to easily fall off the bone to be done. 

The marinade doesn't break down the texture of the meat? I'm not sure if I'd like a 'velvet' rib.

Some of you guys must have a different definition of falling off the bone than I do. To me, that means that when I grab the bone, it pulls out of the meat (bone in pork shoulder does this when properly cooked). Or when I grab the meat, it pulls right off the bone. How do you eat a rib where either of those things happens? 😂 

To me, a rib is properly cooked just before it literally falls off the bone, so I chose pulling away cleanly, but toothsome (should have texture, not mushy but more tender than tough, and some char is good). I’m partial to dry rub, but we do love some Stubb’s sometimes, after the ribs are served, for dipping.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

Some of you guys must have a different definition of falling off the bone than I do. To me, that means that when I grab the bone, it pulls out of the meat (bone in pork shoulder does this when properly cooked). Or when I grab the meat, it pulls right off the bone. How do you eat a rib where either of those things happens? 😂 

To me, a rib is properly cooked just before it literally falls off the bone, so I chose pulling away cleanly, but toothsome (should have texture, not mushy but more tender than tough, and some char is good). I’m partial to dry rub, but we do love some Stubb’s sometimes, after the ribs are served, for dipping.

The way I like them, if I picked up one rib by the end, the bone would slide right out.  A lot of time I just do that, pull out all the ones and eat the pile of meat, either with a fork or not.

If I cut the bones apart, and picked them up meat side up by both ends, the meat would stay balanced on the bone till my mouth.  But it’s got gravity helping.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I will edit to add that option. I prefer a ‘toothsome’ rib, no sauce just dry rub. DH is all in on steeping in BBQ sauce!

So, will it help your marital dispute if I suggest you bond over the fact you are both wrong? 

I voted that you were less wrong, before the correct answer was added.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Ellie said:

I cannot vote because there's no option for this Texan. We don't cook our ribs in sauce; we rub them and slow-cook them over a fire. They are well cooked when the meat falls off the bones.

I love Texas BBQ.  I gave dh the "Legends of Texas BBQ cookbook".   Lots of trivia, as well as recipes and how-tos.  (I found a great place in Ft. Worth - Dany's craft bbq - HIGHLY recommend.  I'm not a brisket fan (probably because most places do it poorly) - but my oh my . . . was it ever succulent, tender, and flavorful.  but they did use Angus beef.

These legends smoke their meat.  No direct fire, ever.  (and as Ellie said - rubs while smoking, and sauce can (or not) be added afterwards.)

Dh hates gas grills with a passion - so I got a chuckle out of the "what kind of smoker?" chapter.  - their comment on  gas grills was "don't bother".   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ellie said:

Over a fire? Do you mean smoked? Grilled?  (Genuinely curious.) 

I am KC/Texas tradition also. The only true ribs are dry rubbed and smoked until meat falls off the bone. Sauce is added later.

The preferred blend of wood is hickory if you are in KC. If in Texas, you add a bit of mesquite to the hickory. 

If you have to grill, then you go low and slow with dry rub for the first hour, then glaze with sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, then glaze again 5 minutes before removing from grill. But, this is not the preferred method and you wouldn’t serve this to friends who own smokers because it would be an insult to the pig and to the friendship. 😂 

BBQ is taken very seriously where I grew up. You don’t cheer for certain sports teams, and you don’t serve vinegar based (Carolina style) bbq sauce. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am KC/Texas tradition also. The only true ribs are dry rubbed and smoked until meat falls off the bone. Sauce is added later.

The preferred blend of wood is hickory if you are in KC. If in Texas, you add a bit of mesquite to the hickory. 

If you have to grill, then you go low and slow with dry rub for the first hour, then glaze with sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, then glaze again 5 minutes before removing from grill. But, this is not the preferred method and you wouldn’t serve this to friends who own smokers because it would be an insult to the pig and to the friendship. 😂 

BBQ is taken very seriously where I grew up. You don’t cheer for certain sports teams, and you don’t serve vinegar based (Carolina style) bbq sauce. 

Now, see, those are fighting words. We LURV and agree on Tennessee (molasses/brown sugar/booze/smoke) and South Carolina-style (mustard-based but sweet) sauces but I just cannot abide overcooked ribs. I am using my leftover maple bits for smoking/grilling. Delish. DH's favorite day is leftover day because I indulge his preference for steeping then. While it seems my preferred level of doneness is under-appreciated *HARUMPH*, I put my foot down when it comes to that spiced ketchup Texans call sauce. I don't even know why Texans have an opinion on pork ribs anyway. Don't y'all specialize in BEEF *shudder* ribs and brisket? Stay in your lane! LOL. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-techniques/barbeque/regional-american-barbecue-sauces

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have to wonder if folks are conflating pork ribs with a bone in pork roast? Because I do want the pork roast to fall apart/pull apart easily. And then add lotsa sauce to the pulled pork. But ribs imo shouldn’t fall off the bone, and should only be brush-sauced or served with sauce on the side. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I have to wonder if folks are conflating pork ribs with a bone in pork roast? Because I do want the pork roast to fall apart/pull apart easily. And then add lotsa sauce to the pulled pork. But ribs imo shouldn’t fall off the bone, and should only be brush-sauced or served with sauce on the side. 

Not conflating, at all. 

• Like 1

All I know is that I read the thread this morning.

Now I have a nice rack of spare ribs that are several hours into a low and slow cook on my Big Green Egg.

Had to do it.

And I smell like a pitmaster. Do women like that smokey flavor to their men?  I wonder.

Bill

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

All I know is that I read the thread this morning.

Now I have a nice rack of spare ribs that are several hours into a low and slow cook on my Big Green Egg.

Had to do it.

And I smell like a pitmaster. Do women like that smokey flavor to their men?  I wonder.

Bill

Yes, we do.  Men who cook are sexy.  

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I love Texas BBQ.  I gave dh the "Legends of Texas BBQ cookbook".   Lots of trivia, as well as recipes and how-tos.  (I found a great place in Ft. Worth - Dany's craft bbq - HIGHLY recommend.  I'm not a brisket fan (probably because most places do it poorly) - but my oh my . . . was it ever succulent, tender, and flavorful.  but they did use Angus beef.

The brisket I LOVE is made slow-cooked by my brother in law.  I have not found anything very close even at the restaurants around here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

The brisket I LOVE is made slow-cooked by my brother in law.  I have not found anything very close even at the restaurants around here.

Try Dany's Craft BBQ in Fort Worth - I'd love to know your thoughts.  It's in a trailer - attached to a bar.  (the don't serve drinks of any kind - you need to go to the bar to buy your lemonade.) Big covered outdoor seating area.  They're only open on the weekend.  It was super tender, and very flavorful. and moist . . . . 

I'm normally a beef rib person - but they were sold out.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Fwiw, I think the reason most KC/TX don’t sauce while cooking the meat is because the sugar in the sauce would scorch. 
I do agree with the article’s notion that KC style is heavier on liquid smoke and TX style is more likely to include cumin but I question the author’s palate in preferring Arthur Bryant’s over anything else in KC. It’s famous because of it’s age and history, but it is not the best in town. (Gates is likewise overrated.)   Joe’s KC, Harp Barbecue, and Fiorella’s Jack Stack are all better…

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, I think the reason most KC/TX don’t sauce while cooking the meat is because the sugar in the sauce would scorch. 
I do agree with the article’s notion that KC style is heavier on liquid smoke and TX style is more likely to include cumin but I question the author’s palate in preferring Arthur Bryant’s over anything else in KC. It’s famous because of it’s age and history, but it is not the best in town. (Gates is likewise overrated.)   Joe’s KC, Harp Barbecue, and Fiorella’s Jack Stack are all better…

I haven't tried the others but I agree w/you on Gates. Blech. I don't know anyone who sauces while cooking although my Dad always used a vinegar/beer/spice "mop" mixture while cooking. It's thin and just keeps things hydrated. I've never found a need for that.

The first time I had ribs, they weren't cooked long enough. It was a chore to eat, with probably more meat left on the bone than the amount of actually edible meat. And it was dripping with sauce where it was a mess to handle. It left me thinking that ribs were not good.

Thankfully, I have since had well made ribs. The meat should come off easily and leave the center portion of the bone clean. Dry rub for cooking. Sauce on the side, if desired, but never poured over the ribs.

• Like 2