Menu

Tampon brands

Farrar

So I seem to have some more menstrual cycles left in me. 

But ob tampons are increasingly harder and harder to find, especially in sizes that aren't the smallest one. I'm just giving up at this point. 

But that leads to a conundrum. I can remove the tampon from the applicator -- and I do... because I can't seem to place a tampon well with an applicator so it's an utter waste. But the shape of the tampon is also subpar for my body. They're just... weird. Ob tampons are more round with grooves? Like an sort of cylinder? Other tampons are this weird flat shape when you spread them out. It's just not... very effective for my body?

So, two questions. 

1. Is there a tampon left with a paper applicator so I don't have to feel horrible about all that plastic waste? I had trouble even figuring out which ones had which types of applicator materials from the packaging.

2. Is there a tampon that has a better shape when engaged?

And before someone suggests it... I have tried cups in multiple sizes and brands and they simply aren't a good choice for my body. Half the time they work great and half the time they can't seem to get tilted right and blood just falls around them and it seems very hard to predict which time it's going to be until there's blood all over the place, which makes them a poor choice for going out or wearing clothes I like or sitting on things - all of which are sort of necessary activities. I already use period undies for a variety of purposes but need something more sometimes.

• Like 1

We also had another brand, but I haven't seen it in a year or so. We do have a Walmart now... I could try there. But it's one of those things I check for at stores when I'm there and Target, Giant, Safeway and CVS have been out except sometimes of the small ones, for well over a year around here. Prices are often jacked up on Amazon or they have a monthlong delivery wait.

Like, even if I do manage to get more, I think I just need a backup brand.

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We also had another brand, but I haven't seen it in a year or so. We do have a Walmart now... I could try there. But it's one of those things I check for at stores when I'm there and Target, Giant, Safeway and CVS have been out except sometimes of the small ones, for well over a year around here. Prices are often jacked up on Amazon or they have a monthlong delivery wait.

Like, even if I do manage to get more, I think I just need a backup brand.

I’d order online unless you have $35 of stuff to get & get free curbside pickup. 

• Like 1

Tampax offers paper applicators.  That's what I always used before menopause.  (But the shape if you pull it apart is still not cylindrical.  However, I don't understand why it wouldn't be easier to use an applicator.  Not that it's my business to know but ... maybe keep trying?

1 minute ago, SKL said:

Tampax offers paper applicators.  That's what I always used before menopause.  (But the shape if you pull it apart is still not cylindrical.  However, I don't understand why it wouldn't be easier to use an applicator.  Not that it's my business to know but ... maybe keep trying?

I mean, it's super easy to remove it and insert it like an ob tampon, so I guess I'm not sure why I should try.

I couldn't figure out which Tampax lines had the paper though. Like, I thought the ones I bought were paper, but they weren't. More plastic.

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

I mean, it's super easy to remove it and insert it like an ob tampon, so I guess I'm not sure why I should try.

I couldn't figure out which Tampax lines had the paper though. Like, I thought the ones I bought were paper, but they weren't. More plastic.

I was always able to find them on the shelves in Walgreens etc.  The box specifies cardboard applicator.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

For me my cervix is very low during my period, so I need a shorter tampon and there isn’t room to also use an applicator. It hurts and if I manage to jam it in there anyway it ends up sideways and leaks or hits my cervix and hurts until I move wrong and it starts to push out and then leaks AND hurts. 

Sometimes a cup works better, sometimes not. 

• Like 4

I use Tampax with cardboard applicator. They’re getting harder and harder to find in stores, though. I often order online in bulk from target when they’re available.  

I’m sure I’ve got another decade of this period mess to deal with. Cups do not work well for me, but I’ve been considering a reusable disc since I hate those plastic applicators. Idk…I hate when my go-to products start to disappear.  

Edited by alisoncooks

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

For me my cervix is very low during my period, so I need a shorter tampon and there isn’t room to also use an applicator. It hurts and if I manage to jam it in there anyway it ends up sideways and leaks or hits my cervix and hurts until I move wrong and it starts to push out and then leaks AND hurts. 

Sometimes a cup works better, sometimes not. 

Yeah I think that things have changed in my body with before having kids and then after having kids.  So things fit differently and don't always work the ways the way they did before having kids.  I don't know if that is just me or it happens to everyone after having kids.

• Like 1

You might like Rael or Cora.  I use both, and I think Cora is the one that has a shorter, fatter shape although I could be wrong.  When I looked to check the brands, i saw that Cora has some non-applicator ones (that's not what I use).  Rael has compact applicator ones, but I've never looked for no applicator.  With both, I think the ones that do have applicators are some sort of plant-based plastic that's supposed to biodegrade.  I prefer to not toss plastic, but have mostly settled on the idea that having to replace clothes because an apparent massacre has taken place is a bigger priority, so once I find something that works for me I don't try other things.  🙂  I've also used Tampax, and with those I get the cardboard applicator.  They can be harder to find than plastic.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

walmart also has their own brand of tampons with cardboard applicators. 

Their brand is called Equate

You're right, Equate is the same ... I forgot that I'd switched to Equate years before menopause.  Equate is also sold at other stores such as Walgreens IIRC.

• Like 1

the tampax ones with cardboard are definitely the flat shape. 

Kotex U plastic applicator, the "snap to click" kind, are round. Has a plastic applicator, but definitely round They are also shorter than many other ones, which is why I use them. I'd say more like an OB than any other brand I've tried. (I need an applicator but totally get what you mean about the shape. Tampax do NOT work for me due to the shape)

• Like 3

I just looked...Amazon seems to have OB, although Amazon has also gotten bad about letting you order stuff and then saying that it's temporarily unavailable, so who knows if it's really there.  But, looking at the pics, Cora does seem to be one of the bullet-shaped ones, and they have the no-applicator type in a couple of different absorbancies.  Amazon also seems to have some stuff in their 'basics' line that might work, but I've never tried it.  

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

the tampax ones with cardboard are definitely the flat shape. 

Kotex U plastic applicator, the "snap to click" kind, are round. Has a plastic applicator, but definitely round They are also shorter than many other ones, which is why I use them. I'd say more like an OB than any other brand I've tried. (I need an applicator but totally get what you mean about the shape. Tampax do NOT work for me due to the shape)

I am so glad to see this; I think that must be the brand I tried before, then thought I was getting the same thing (but didn't) and had all kinds of problems. 

Trying those next time, b/c the tampax ones were horrible. 

Thanks! It looks like Cora is what I should order and like I can either compromise on the shape and use the Tampax cardboard or compromise on the plastic and use the Kotex U if I don't order ahead and need to go to the store. Sigh.

One reason I'm hesitant to order a ton and just stock up is that I'm super irregular now. But I've been irregular for ages and it seems like I'm not close to the end. I mean, maybe if I ordered $400 of the perfect tampon it would end my period for good. So maybe it would be worth the investment just to test Murphy's Law.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

... I mean, maybe if I ordered $400 of the perfect tampon it would end my period for good. So maybe it would be worth the investment just to test Murphy's Law.

Pretty sure that's why I have about a hundred tampons in my cabinet still.  Which my kids won't use, because they want plastic applicators ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:I mean, maybe if I ordered $400 of the perfect tampon it would end my period for good. So maybe it would be worth the investment just to test Murphy's Law.

This is exactly why I order by the case (which is between $40-60) I have daughters, but if I didn’t I’d donate them to the local food pantry once the blessed day of true menopause comes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have you ever tried Natracare tampons? They are applicatorless and made of organic cotton. The case price (12 boxes of 20 tampons each) is really reasonable on Amazon.

That’s what I was going to suggest. I grabbed them last time and they are very similar to OB, which I love

• Like 1

Did you try Dollar General for OB?

I have always had horrendous cycles, so I stocked tons of product. Since my hysterectomy last month, I have given my sisters and nieces about $130 in pads and tampons I had stacked in the closet, in each car, in every purse or suitcase... they just keep appearing. 

• Like 1

Y'all have different shopping options than me, I think. We do have a Dollar General and a Walmart, but they're not really convenient. There's no parking at the Dollar General so I've never actually been. I mean, I've been in other towns, but not here. And it's just weird to go to Walmart because I have to drive. I can walk to the Target and several different CVS stores and grocery chains.

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

I am so glad to see this; I think that must be the brand I tried before, then thought I was getting the same thing (but didn't) and had all kinds of problems. 

Trying those next time, b/c the tampax ones were horrible. 

yes! I didn't realize there were different kinds of Kotex tampons, and ordered the wrong kind one time. OMG, they were NOT okay. You want the "click" kind NOT the "security" kind! Both are called "U by Kotex" but they are NOT the same. 

• Like 2

Just now, Farrar said:

Y'all have different shopping options than me, I think. We do have a Dollar General and a Walmart, but they're not really convenient. There's no parking at the Dollar General so I've never actually been. I mean, I've been in other towns, but not here. And it's just weird to go to Walmart because I have to drive. I can walk to the Target and several different CVS stores and grocery chains.

I can't even imagine being able to walk to such places! That's very cool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I can't even imagine being able to walk to such places! That's very cool. 

I really do love my neighborhood. Sometimes people compare this central part of DC to Brooklyn, which is probably about as analogous as most people's mind image can get, even if it's not quite right.

I was trying to explain to dh why I think I'm having trouble finding what I want. I assume that everyone five years older than me no longer needs tampons at all. And that everyone five years younger than me who has a similar outlook is young and hip enough to have started in on using Diva cups and so forth at a younger age where they adapted to them better than I did, trying them out when I was way past having kids and already having slightly irregular cycles. So the product base for ob tampons is presumably aging out.

OB were the only tampons that worked for me - so much so I considered writing a thank you note to the company after my hysterectomy. I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding them. The last few times I needed them, I found them at CVS or Walmart. I did have to buy the multi-pack more than once because that's all the store had. IIRC, Target had another non-applicator brand that looked similiar and the CORA ones also look similar. 

Honestly, I'd order online and then donate to a women's shelter if you they last longer than your need. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I was trying to explain to dh why I think I'm having trouble finding what I want. I assume that everyone five years older than me no longer needs tampons at all. And that everyone five years younger than me who has a similar outlook is young and hip enough to have started in on using Diva cups and so forth at a younger age where they adapted to them better than I did, trying them out when I was way past having kids and already having slightly irregular cycles. So the product base for ob tampons is presumably aging out.

Nah, I tried a cup pretty late after kids, too. Never loved it, used it rarely. Now it's $30 wasted. 

47 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here in Australia just about all tampons are sold without an applicator. I have never ever used an applicator. I use Libra brand

That makes sense. When I lived in Asia, they were also all basically without the applicator. A fellow American I knew was very displeased. I was like, just use the ob ones. She was like, I cannot get that personal with myself. Eek.

I don't recommend the basic Tampax with cardboard applicator. They feel like you're ripping your guts out. The are not like OB at all. They are like long cotton batting sewed down the middle with the string. I loved OB with applicator. Used them for a long time. Haven't been able to find them in store for years. I use Tampax pearl now. I cringe at the waste, but I don't know what else to do. I like Tampax Radiance too, but the plastic is so thick on those applicators, I can't justify it.

Just as a funny aside, my sweet aunt who passed away in December retired from Johnson & Johnson Co many years ago. Guess what she did for over 30 years? Ran the OB tampon machine at the factory! She even trained people how to run it as far away as Canada! I guess she was pretty darn good at it.😁 Apparently, there’s a lot that goes into running that machine correctly and efficiently AND knowing how to quickly fix any problems that arise so it gets back to producing tampons in record speed!

ETA: This also reminded me of my childhood. My aunt could shop at the employee factory store and get all of their products extremely cheap. Neutrogena stuff for like a dollar or two. Anyway, our OB tampons would be in a giant, clear plastic bag. Just a big ol bag of tampons—no label, nothin’🤣 (Also, OB did NOT go well for me when I tried them as a youngster!😬)

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

Just as a funny aside, my sweet aunt who passed away in December retired from Johnson & Johnson Co many years ago. Guess what she did for over 30 years? Ran the OB tampon machine at the factory! She even trained people how to run it as far away as Canada! I guess she was pretty darn good at it.😁 Apparently, there’s a lot that goes into running that machine correctly and efficiently AND knowing how to quickly fix any problems that arise so it gets back to producing tampons in record speed!

People are so different...my experience was the exact opposite.  I used tampax for years and decided to try OB...they worked well but I wound up with some sort of...well, I don't know what it was, but it seemed to involve dryness or something painful and took a few weeks to get healed and I haven't used them again.  Yikes!  I've still got a some that I need to figure out how to donate.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

That makes sense. When I lived in Asia, they were also all basically without the applicator. A fellow American I knew was very displeased. I was like, just use the ob ones. She was like, I cannot get that personal with myself. Eek.

I have no issues with using my finger - I used to check cervical mucus and position all the time. But the tampon would drag, and irritate me, going in. The applicator is smoother so easier to insert with less friction. I really wanted to like OB because at the time they were the only tampon that was small enough to be super discreet in your hand/pocket/etc. 

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

ETA: This also reminded me of my childhood. My aunt could shop at the employee factory store and get all of their products extremely cheap. Neutrogena stuff for like a dollar or two. Anyway, our OB tampons would be in a giant, clear plastic bag. Just a big ol bag of tampons—no label, nothin’🤣 (Also, OB did NOT go well for me when I tried them as a youngster!😬)

My ex had an uncle who worked there, he'd bring bags of q-tips every time he visited 🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

I don't recommend the basic Tampax with cardboard applicator. They feel like you're ripping your guts out. The are not like OB at all. They are like long cotton batting sewed down the middle with the string. I loved OB with applicator. Used them for a long time. Haven't been able to find them in store for years. I use Tampax pearl now. I cringe at the waste, but I don't know what else to do. I like Tampax Radiance too, but the plastic is so thick on those applicators, I can't justify it.

LOL I had the exact opposite experience.  Tampax with cardboard applicator always worked perfectly and comfortably for me.  OB was always super uncomfortable, and I tried different times at different stages of my life.

I guess we're all different down there.  😛

• Like 2

I think I am the only person for whom the old style cardboard Tampax cardboard is the preferred tampon. I must be because they are increasingly difficult to locate in person or online. 

I can use the others but there is no point to it because my period just keeps going and ignores the tampon. I can’t explain it. The only tampon my period recognizes is the OG cardboard Tampax. We are old and stubborn I guess. 

So, I ordered some tampons online, but I also needed some right away. The grocery store didn't have the Kotex that y'all said were the short well shaped ones, so I went with the cardboard Tampax. Oyvay. So uncomfortable. I had some of the plastic applicator Tampax and I thought they were just... stupid. Like whose insides are shaped like a flat piece of gauze? But whatever. At least it wasn't uncomfortable? The cardboard applicator ones were genuinely bad for me. Like, way too long for my body? So those are totally going in a little free pantry somewhere the minute I get new ones.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:28 AM, Farrar said:

You know, I have been thinking a lot about this. I am genuinely puzzled. I don’t see the difference  with getting personal to floss teeth, or pick nose they are also personal  with self. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

You know, I have been thinking a lot about this. I am genuinely puzzled. I don’t see the difference  with getting personal to floss teeth, or pick nose they are also personal  with self. 

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. I kept thinking... but it's not that much more "personal" than hunting for the tampon string and everyone who has ever used a tampon has been there with that experience! As someone pointed out, the applicator makes it more smooth going in and let's be real - it's a bit less messy most of the time (though, not a guarantee depending on flow level!) - so I think those are usually the reasons people prefer them? I can't quite imagine being that hands off with my body, but to each their own, I guess.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. I kept thinking... but it's not that much more "personal" than hunting for the tampon string and everyone who has ever used a tampon has been there with that experience! As someone pointed out, the applicator makes it more smooth going in and let's be real - it's a bit less messy most of the time (though, not a guarantee depending on flow level!) - so I think those are usually the reasons people prefer them? I can't quite imagine being that hands off with my body, but to each their own, I guess.

And because it's easier to get one inserted higher up.  All I can figure is that the applicators are at least an inch or more longer than my fingers and can get them inserted above the 'just slide right on out' portion of my body.  Like another poster said, those long old-school cardboard applicator tampax work great for some of us, and are definitely not too long.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

So, I ordered some tampons online, but I also needed some right away. The grocery store didn't have the Kotex that y'all said were the short well shaped ones, so I went with the cardboard Tampax. Oyvay. So uncomfortable. I had some of the plastic applicator Tampax and I thought they were just... stupid. Like whose insides are shaped like a flat piece of gauze? But whatever. At least it wasn't uncomfortable? The cardboard applicator ones were genuinely bad for me. Like, way too long for my body? So those are totally going in a little free pantry somewhere the minute I get new ones.

Target has always had the Kotex click ones, and I remember you said they were in walking distance to you. Or maybe a walgreens is nearby? 

• Like 1