Menu

Speaking of hoarding …. Curricula

Murphy101

I wish I could afford to hoard each of the MCP mathematics A-F sets. I’m having a hard time finding them for the first time in 20 years and when I do they cost a LOT more than ever before. I just need A and E levels but it makes me worry I should buy all the levels for youngest in case this is a permanent problem.

I don’t want to change our math!!

🤷‍♀️ But hardly any place seems to have the student book by itself. If they do it’s $30 for a book that a year ago was half that. If they have any at all, it’s the student and teach guide sets, and again at double or more the price of a year ago.  I don’t know why but there’s a lot of things that seem to be “temporarily” out of stock that just don’t come back these days.  And I e used this math program for over 20 years. I just have one more kid to get through it!🙏🤞

• Like 1

I don’t have any answers but DH was just telling me to go ahead and buy curriculum for next year even if we might put kids in school because he assumes there will be another variant that’s terrible for kids and more people will yank to homeschool by fall. 

I’m a reformed curricula hoarder. The only things that have made the final cut have been Saxon Algebra, MCT Island and Town, and SOTW. Even then, we don’t do all of SOTW, I just like knowing we can.

Saxon Algebra is THE one and only thing that has served all 4 of the first kids well, and I’ve got my fingers crossed for the last kid. Nothing else I’ve tried to save from any of the older kids were the right fit for subsequent kids, so I’ve mostly given up.

In the apocalypse 😉 school will be bare bones in between necessary skills.
In a financial crisis, we’ll make due with the library.

(But I’m on the last 3 and 6 years of the last two kids, so it isn’t as overwhelming as I’d probably feel with more to go.)

• Like 2

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/046028/MCP-Math-Level-A-Student-Edition-2005.html?

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/046038/MCP-Math-Level-E-Student-Edition-2005.html?

Rainbow Resource has just the student books in stock for $20 each. 

I hear you about the desire to hoard. Back in 2008, back when Singapore primary math was $5.25/book I bought full levels of the workbooks for everyone. The workbooks are now $14.70 each.

I bought the Singapore workbooks that match my textbooks a few years back. I think they were going out of print. For youngest I have photocopied rather than writing directly in the book because it’s getting really hard to replace the workbooks now. I suspect that’s kind of a copyright issue but I can’t replace some of the workbooks anymore.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/046028/MCP-Math-Level-A-Student-Edition-2005.html?

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/046038/MCP-Math-Level-E-Student-Edition-2005.html?

I hear you about the desire to hoard. Back in 2008, back when Singapore primary math was $5.25/book I bought full levels of the workbooks for everyone. The workbooks are now $14.70 each.

Oh!! I read as MCT math and was trying to figure out if I'm missing out on something amazing.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I haven’t bought from RR in …. A really long time. I forgot they even existed!

I was a collector/hoarder of curricula since K.  However, my boys are just finishing up their junior year and I have sold/given away a lot - have another used curriculum sale on Tuesday.  Cleaning house baby and it feels good.

ETA:  For me, my "collection" means all the things I researched, planned for (over-planned really), and never got to (or it didn't work for us).  So...while I had the stuff and I loved having it, getting it out of my house now is very freeing.  I don't have any more to school.  I'm 100% sure one of mine will not want to homeschool his kids.  The other might, but I won't hang onto school stuff just in case (except for artsy stuff - like Meet the Masters to do with grandchildren) and some classic literature.    

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

I have everything I've used and liked for K-12 and no plans to purge. I've graduated 3 but my youngest is just 3. I've seen things go out of print or be printed in new editions such that the new workbooks don't work anymore with my older edition texts, so if I find something I like I buy a workbook for it to keep on hand just in case.

I like to call it being prudent 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Curriculum publishers have a hard time finding printers because printers are having a hard time finding paper. Supply chain issues.  

Prices go up because printing costs go up, because of scarcity. 

I have a friend in the publishing business. She might be forced out because she can't meet demand. That is a weird statement when you think about it.  

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

And two of them puts you at $40, only $10 away from free economy shipping. 

Cheaper than Amazon even if you pay or upgrade shipping. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:37 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

As I have homeschooled multiple children from begenning to end I have the whole scope from k to year 12 in all subjects. 

I still have some that you shared with me 🙂 

let me know if you’d ever like them back.

I think it also makes more sense to keep stuff in Australia where you pay a fortune in shipping if you need to replace things and the second hand market is a bit scarce. I am so thankful SWB makes resources available as pdf.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

I hope it was useful. So glad that it went where it might be used

I will never need it back.  my twins are unlikely to progress beyond grade 3 level. I have become an expert on grade 1 curriculum as we just move sideways, never forward.

you are right on the shipping. A friend and I went halves on  shipping on an order from Rainbow Resources. My share of  shipping was $150 it was more than we expected and I wont buy from overseas again.

• Thanks 1