Menu

Pharmacy screw up

bibiche

Any pharmacists who can weigh in?

I picked up a prescription, the bag had my name and the name of my prescription on it. When I got home and opened it, it was a Rx for another medicine for another person. The pharmacy was already closed by the time I discovered this.

I’ll go in tomorrow. I assume that legally they’re obligated to contact the person whose Rx (and information) I have. Should I contact her to let her know this happened in case they don’t? I would want to know. In fact, I wonder if someone else has my information, since my Rx probably went to someone else… 

Is this common? I’ve never heard of it. It seems like such a huge screw up!!

This is why I don't leave the pharmacy without checking. We've gotten home before to find out the prescription is not ours and, evidently, if it is a "limited" prescription -- we would not get more until the next month. Once it leaves their doors, they are no longer liable for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

DH is a pharmacist and I just asked him.  Here in Canada, it's a pretty big screw-up called a "breach of privacy". A reputable pharmacy will have a whole procedure that they go through once you've informed them and everything will be documented.  He says he wouldn't suggest calling the other person (as you can't be sure how they'll react) but would let the pharmacy handle it tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

This is why I don't leave the pharmacy without checking. We've gotten home before to find out the prescription is not ours and, evidently, if it is a "limited" prescription -- we would not get more until the next month. Once it leaves their doors, they are no longer liable for it.

I’ve had them mix up my own Rx before, but I have never ever received someone else’s in my bag. You have? Crazy. Maybe it’s common then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dicentra said:

DH is a pharmacist and I just asked him.  Here in Canada, it's a pretty big screw-up called a "breach of privacy". A reputable pharmacy will have a whole procedure that they go through once you've informed them and everything will be documented.  He says he wouldn't suggest calling the other person (as you can't be sure how they'll react) but would let the pharmacy handle it tomorrow.

Thank you. Yes, the other person’s prescription reveals a lot of info so she could be embarrassed.  I just hate the idea that the pharmacy might sweep it under the rug. I agree that it is a serious breach. I miss my wonderful little independent pharmacy. 

• Like 2

While I wouldn't be happy that this happened, do you actually know the person whose prescription you received?  (I was sent some other child's IEP once instead of my own child and I wasn't happy but at the same time, we were strangers to each other so it really wasn't the same as if we were in a small town where everyone knows everyone else.  I just let them know and they corrected the mistake.) 

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

While I wouldn't be happy that this happened, do you actually know the person whose prescription you received?  (I was sent some other child's IEP once instead of my own child and I wasn't happy but at the same time, we were strangers to each other so it really wasn't the same as if we were in a small town where everyone knows everyone else.  I just let them know and they corrected the mistake.) 

No, I do not. The reason I considered contacting her was to let her know that there had been a breach of privacy. 

We have had this happen. It was a controlled medication, that is meant to be kept in the drug safe at the pharmacy until handed over. Not only did they first have the wrong name, but when we took it back they then put the wrong dosage on the packet. We weren’t happy. Not only did we take it back and make the pharmacy change it all to correct, I also told the paediatrician.

The pharmacy just about grovels when we pick up the twins medication now. They go through elaborate display of getting the key off the pharmacist, getting the medication, getting the pharmacist to check everything then handing it over. As they should have done from the beginning.

• Like 3

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Absolutely do not contact the other person. You are sweet to want to do so, but please do not do it!! I have seen the sweetest people turn in to screaming, beligerent people over simple mistakes. Do not get involved!!!! 

It is a serious error, but really take it in context. You noticed, and didn't take it. So, while you are inconvienieced, no harm came to you. Just return it to the pharmacy and get yours. They will replace the medicine with fresh pills and set it aside for her. Call them ASAP in the morning, and let them know, to prevent yours getting picked up, if it hasn't already been. They will also be able to get yours fixed before you arrive. They are responsible to contact her. If they do or not, is on them. 

In the crazy covid pharmacy world, mistakes are happening more frequently.  We are wayyy over worked and understaffed right now. The parmacy I used to work at, had enough hours for 2 full time pharmacists, and 4 full time techs. They currently only have 2 technicians. They get someone hired, but they leave as soon as they can, becuase the pharmacy is so crazy and it is almost impossible to learn in that fast of a pace. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

CVS delivered the wrong Rx to me. The outside of the bag had my name, inside was someone else’s Rx. I just called the pharmacy, and they sent my meds (same day delivery) and replaced hers. They told me to bring the other meds in next time I was nearby.

It did freak me out a bit re: privacy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Thank you. Yes, the other person’s prescription reveals a lot of info so she could be embarrassed.  I just hate the idea that the pharmacy might sweep it under the rug. I agree that it is a serious breach. I miss my wonderful little independent pharmacy. 

If you're afraid the pharmacy will sweep it under the rug - contact their licensing agency, not the other patient.

• Like 2

Here they always get you to tell your address and check it against the label before they hand it over.  I always thought it was to prevent me stealing someone else's pills - but maybe not.  Definitely something they should take very seriously though.  Mistakes can kill.

• Like 4

My understanding is that the pharmacy doesn’t technically have to take it back, but they probably will since the mistake was clearly in their end. Decades ago I had a bout of stress induced psoriasis (never had it before or after) and was accidentally given the wrong cream. The pharmacist even carefully looked it over and asked me several times if I wanted it—it was over $100 around 20 years ago—but I was desperate and agreed. When I got home, I realized she had given me some sort of chemotherapy cream (?), obviously wrong and massively dangerous. I called right away and got a lecture about how it was my responsibility yadda yadda but they did end up taking it back.

Mistakes are so rare. I would just be understanding and kind. Hopefully there won’t be a problem.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MEmama said:

My understanding is that the pharmacy doesn’t technically have to take it back, but they probably will since the mistake was clearly in their end. Decades ago I had a bout of stress induced psoriasis (never had it before or after) and was accidentally given the wrong cream. The pharmacist even carefully looked it over and asked me several times if I wanted it—it was over $100 around 20 years ago—but I was desperate and agreed. When I got home, I realized she had given me some sort of chemotherapy cream (?), obviously wrong and massively dangerous. I called right away and got a lecture about how it was my responsibility yadda yadda but they did end up taking it back.

Mistakes are so rare. I would just be understanding and kind. Hopefully there won’t be a problem.

I think ALL pharmacies in the USA are required to take back medications so the water doesn’t get more contaminated with medication and to reduce the supply of prescription drugs on the street.

ETA: the drugs are recycled. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Katy said:

I think ALL pharmacies in the USA are required to take back medications so the water doesn’t get more contaminated with medication and to reduce the supply of prescription drugs on the street.

I hope so—that seems like sound policy.

I did have to fight to be able to return it though. I think it was the high cost that convinced them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kiwik said:

Here they always get you to tell your address and check it against the label before they hand it over.  I always thought it was to prevent me stealing someone else's pills - but maybe not.  Definitely something they should take very seriously though.  Mistakes can kill.

Not death, but about 8 years ago I started getting hives EVERYWHERE an hour after taking my thyroid medication. I had taken it for a decade, no changes to type, no recalls, no mistakenly different pill. I had just picked up a new bottle and was reacting worse each time. After many calls and hours of digging, we found out they weren't cleaning the tray between med counts and my Rx was contaminated with residue from something I was allergic to. They had to file a report and give me a new bottle of pills. 

• Sad 5

They should learn to moderate their response. 😆 When I called to explain what happened the person to whom I spoke replied “Oh, NOOOOOO!”

They assure me that my Rx didn’t leave the store so no one else has my info and that no, this doesn’t happen often. They’ll fill out a report and I will be contacted at a later date (I requested this to make sure that they follow through). And to bring in the other person’s Rx to be disposed of. I will also file a complaint with the state.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 12

I only know about that happening in the movie It's a Wonderful Life!

As awful as it seems (and could potentially be), no matter how good a system is there may be an occasional error.  As long as this isn't a pattern with the pharmacy, I'd not do anything more.  (Other than returning it ASAP, and confirm they'll be contacting the other party immediately.  I'd assume that they have a careful, serious protocol in place.)

ETA:  Oops, I see it was resolved!  Glad they still had the other prescription and took the situation very seriously.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kiwik said:

Even when checking into a dr appointment - they should be asking such questions to make sure your identity and they have your file and not someone's with the same name. 

I found out there was another woman with my name in this area because my gyns office pulled her file - not mine. 

You can even get same first, middle,  last and birthday too.  same city,  and it takes really getting into things to make sure it's the correct person. 

eta: when verifying a patients identity - the *patient* should be giving their address/identifying information.  The office shouldn't be giving it - this prevents them inadvertently sharing another person's information.

I briefly worked in a large medical office - files with duplicate names, were flagged.  and the more duplications - the more flags there were.

the day my son's friend was born, another baby with the same first, middle, and last was born at the same hospital.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

I only know about that happening in the movie It's a Wonderful Life!

As awful as it seems (and could potentially be), no matter how good a system is there may be an occasional error.  As long as this isn't a pattern with the pharmacy, I'd not do anything more.  (Other than returning it ASAP, and confirm they'll be contacting the other party immediately.  I'd assume that they have a careful, serious protocol in place.)

You mean you wouldn’t file a complaint with the state? I figured that was civic duty, to help to ensure that there isn’t a pattern of mistakes at this particular pharmacy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bibiche said:

You mean you wouldn’t file a complaint with the state? I figured that was civic duty, to help to ensure that there isn’t a pattern of mistakes at this particular pharmacy.

That's a good point.  I hadn't thought of that, but might be a good idea?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

when he was asking if you wanted it - did he explain (each time) what the cream was for?  It should have been more than just the name of the cream/drug.   They can't rely upon a patient to know the drug names, especially if they're getting a generic (considering how many generics there are.) and what a given drug is used for.

Mistakes aren't as rare as you think - that's why the PHARMACIST is supposed to check over the tech's work.  That's why when you pick up a Rx, the pharmacist is supposed to go over it with the patient making sure it is the correct drug and dosage and instructions - even if it's a drug they've had for years.

2Dd caught an error by a new tech that cost the previous days' hospital pharmacist their job.  (and rightly so - it was a huge screw-up. She shared more information than I am sharing.)  Because the tech had done it the previous day (and the previous day's pharmacist had passed it off), she argued with dd that she "did it yesterday" while dd was telling her "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!! and this is why".   2dd made sure it was redone - correctly - before being allowed out of the pharmacy and going to the patient.  And because of the seriousness of the screw-up the previous day, she had to contact the patient's drs directly to let them know what happened so they could take appropriate action.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Katy said:

At our chain, actually don’t take them back at all. It is to avoid unscrupulous pharmacy employees from taking them ( they wouldn’t be traceable) and it costs for pharmacies to have them destroyed. Some areas have drop boxes to handle them, but not everywhere. We tell people to contact their garbage service to find out how to get rid of them. 

3 minutes ago, Tap said:

At our chain, actually don’t take them back at all. It is to avoid unscrupulous pharmacy employees from taking them ( they wouldn’t be traceable) and it costs for pharmacies to have them destroyed. Some areas have drop boxes to handle them, but not everywhere. We tell people to contact their garbage service to find out how to get rid of them. 

Yes here it is the police station you are supposed to take expired prescriptions too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't check one time and was given a bag that did not have my name nor my prescription in it. 
I got home, put it on the table, and a few minutes later the Pharmacy called me and told me they had given me the wrong prescription and could I bring it back. I did, and I felt bad for the young man who had given it to me. We knew each other slightly, and I don't know if that threw him off his game or what. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I think she meant if there was an error made? Otherwise yeah, I don’t think ours take expired meds either—those go to the drop off box at the police station.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

Our hospital has a drop box, IIRC.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

I think she meant if there was an error made? Otherwise yeah, I don’t think ours take expired meds either—those go to the drop off box at the police station.

This is a gray area. We aren’t technically supposed to take them back. Sometimes we do anyways, but we have to be a bit sly about it. We provide a special envelope for them to put the med into and drop in a mailbox for appropriate  destruction. But, we also don’t like to leave a person inconvenienced -and- the other patients information out there ( even tho the information has already been given out) -and- the wrong pills floating around. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 6:02 AM, bibiche said:

Unless I had a reason to think this was an error commonly happening with this pharmacy, I would not file a complaint with the state. The pharmacy, like all healthcare providers, has a process for privacy errors, and they said they would file a report and follow up with you.