Menu

Gas Prices went down

QueenCat

Yeah, DH texted about an hour ago that the price of oil was back below $100/barrel.  So I guess you can expect it to fall again.  He had a theory about OPEC strategy, but idk if he read that somewhere or is just assuming they're making the same choice they did the last time oil was this high.

• Like 4

I noticed as well. When I filled my tank on Thursday it was $4.30 (at the cheapest place around). But now that station is back to $4.15, which is still bad, for sure, but better a .15 fall than still more. 

Deisel does still seem bananas though. 

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Yes, at Costco, which was lower than the Shell, Chevron, 76 gas stations near it.

ETA: CA as in California. Canada petrol prices are usually higher.

I thought I read somewhere that California prices were going higher because the gas tax was being increased too. 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I thought I read somewhere that California prices were going higher because the gas tax was being increased too. 

The increase is in July. California gas prices are always the highest. AAA is flagging the average at $5.744 for California.

• Sad 2

Oil prices are down about 20% from last Tuesday.  

Another factor may be that last week people started panic buying gasoline.  As they saw prices going up every time they passed a station they topped off their tanks so that they wouldn't have to pay the higher gas price the next day. That lead to a temporary increase in demand.  And, if people have made some adjustments in the last few days (foregoing a Sunday drive, carpooling to work today, etc.) that increase in demand is easing.

• Like 3

Sunday (3/6) Costco was $3.59, Tuesday (3/8) it was $3.79, Thursday (3/10) it was $3.69, Sunday (3/13) it was $3.79.  Today it was still 3.79.  There is one private grocery store that has a gas station a block from Costco and they always match Costco.  Everywhere else is between 20-40 cents higher.  Currently the rest of the stations are $3.99.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Oil prices are up again today (almost 8%) to over $102 per barrel

I'm extremely thankful these days that I don't do a lot of driving. I've still got nearly a full tank that I bought at $3.75. Usually this time of year, DS3's GF and I go the beach every weekend but I've told her with the price of gas that I don't want to do that this year. While I live in a city on the beach, I live on the opposite side of the city so it's a 45 minute drive for us to get to our favorite spot.

I found a station that had $4.09 yesterday, so I finally filled up my tank.  I was able to ride out the worst of it without refueling because a tank lasts me a few weeks.  I did get the mid-grade at $4.19, but wow what a difference just a few days made.  This station was near my office and was the same price as costco in my town.  Apparently my town charges more for gas than stations in the neighboring county????? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I found a station that had $4.09 yesterday, so I finally filled up my tank.  I was able to ride out the worst of it without refueling because a tank lasts me a few weeks.  I did get the mid-grade at $4.19, but wow what a difference just a few days made.  This station was near my office and was the same price as costco in my town.  Apparently my town charges more for gas than stations in the neighboring county????? 

Apparently! Hogan signed the gas tax holiday bill yesterday and the independent station near my work dropped even further; it was around $3.75 yesterday as I left work. Too bad I had already topped off my tank when it was “down” a few days ago (still over $4). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Apparently! Hogan signed the gas tax holiday bill yesterday and the independent station near my work dropped even further; it was around $3.75 yesterday as I left work. Too bad I had already topped off my tank when it was “down” a few days ago (still over $4). 

I just saw that on the news.  Is it until April 18th or something?  Maryland and Georgia both dropped their gas tax.  Other states should do the same.  

I saw lots of prices last night higher 3.99 down to 3.80.    I did see e85 gas for 3.50.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quill said:

Oh man, I could have waited another day.  I would have been left with 1/8th of a tank, but I'm not going anywhere for a few days.  I blinked too soon.  I didn't even know that was in the works. My political focus has been more global lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I just saw that on the news.  Is it until April 18th or something?  Maryland and Georgia both dropped their gas tax.  Other states should do the same.  

I saw lots of prices last night higher 3.99 down to 3.80.    I did see e85 gas for 3.50.

When I looked at the article (which was when it was proposed, not when he signed it), I couldn’t find any reference to how long the holiday would be. So I’m not sure about that. 

Im no budget analyst, but presumably the states who are doing this have a decent cushion and can cope with the loss of gas tax revenue. I’m sure there are states where that is not true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

DD21 remembers when gas was $4/gallon in 2008. She remembers asking me why everyone was so upset about $4 for gas. She thought it was $4 for the whole tank, not per gallon...

Would that be nice…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

When I looked at the article (which was when it was proposed, not when he signed it), I couldn’t find any reference to how long the holiday would be. So I’m not sure about that. 

Im no budget analyst, but presumably the states who are doing this have a decent cushion and can cope with the loss of gas tax revenue. I’m sure there are states where that is not true. 

Maryland on Friday became the first state in the nation to suspend its gas tax after Gov. Larry Hogan signed legislation which waives the 36.1 cents per gallon tax on gasoline and its 36.85 cents per gallon tax on diesel, effective immediately, for the next 30 days.

These states just moved to temporarily suspend gas taxes amid nationwide high prices (msn.com)

I know a bit ago I saw the Gov of WI talk about doing that here too.  I haven't heard anything else about it since.

• Thanks 1