Menu

Help me buy a purse

math teacher

I'm probably the only woman on the planet who does not own a name brand purse, but I'm tired of purses that look like junk after 4 months. Help me out!! I see these $200 price tags and think, "DO people really pay that much, and more?" If you get them cheaper, where do you find them? Since the pandemic started, I am mostly an online shopper.

• Like 1

I buy expensive purses second hand off eBay. I like all leather purses from Rebecca Minkoff, Coach, and Dooney & Bourke. 

Sometimes you can get a deal on a new one, but the second hand ones are a much better deal, like 70-90% off of original retail. 

• Like 3

Haha, I collect purses and I don’t think any of them were less than $200. I used to feel guilty, then I compared it to my DH & fathers expensive hobbies and got over it. I love to shop for other people though, and I can probably find you something secondhand for leas than that. 

What is your style and favorite colors of shoes to wear? Do you want something crossbody or a giant tote? Do you like casual or structured?

ETA: That’s not true. My Coach bag was purchased at TJ Maxx in 1997 for $99. It’s brown pebbled leather and I used it almost exclusively for 15 years. It’s still in great shape, I just got bored with it. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

I have all the purses (OK well I've never spent more than $1500). There is a definate difference between a Coach and a Target bag. If you are hesitant to drop that sort cash on a bag I would suggest you look at the types of bags that you have purchase and choose a style that you would be happy with for 10+ years. For my MIL I saw that she continues to essentially buy the same purse again and again. So, I bought her a Coach bag in that style.

My advice would be to be picky with that $200+ bag if buying new return it if you aren't 100% satisfied with it. There are a lot of good high quality brands ( I do agree usually they are $100 - $200 plus unless you get lucky) and a lot of them come up with new designs bi-annually, don't feel like you have to buy NOW or a particular brand.  

• Like 2

I used to buy the "cheap" purses from target/walmart etc and I pretty much ended up buying a new one every year because the handle would break (I like crossover so a broken handle pretty much is the death of that kind of purse).  Someone here mentioned Anushka brand purses.  At first I blanched at the prices but I fell in love with how pretty they were.  The zipper is starting to fail on mine but I've had it for 6 years.  When I figured out the cost per year it was still less than the "cheap" purses I used to buy.  So I'll be buying a new Anushka as soon as I figure out which style/artwork is calling my name most.

• Like 2

Mine were bought from Saks off 5th, Nordstrom Rack and premium outlets. I think sometimes its luck though as to quality. We just drop off a Longchamp suede tote at their boutique for repair. My Frye tote became larger with use. My husband would wait until the ones I like are like 60 to 80% off. They are usually past season stuff but I only buy those I fancy anyway. I didn’t have luck with Lucky brand crossbody, it fell apart before the return to store period was up. 

• Like 1

I love leather but I don't love the weight in a purse. I have a couple of Kipling bags that I really liked, but my favorite brand right now is Tom Bihn. I have several different sizes - I typically just use the smallest right (wallet, reading glasses, pen, little pill box, eye drops, phone) and when I travel, I just drop it in a bigger one.  I prefer bright colors to help me not forget it places! I'm hard on purses, and these guys have lasted with no issues for a long time. I think I learned about them here on WTM. 
 https://www.tombihn.com/collections/shoulder-bags

• Like 1

How many things do you need to stuff into your purse?

My camera size crossbody purse can only take credit cards (or a small wallet), phone and rescue inhaler. My tote is my “kitchen sink”.  
In my area, I generally see people with midsize purses with their hand sanitizer dangling from the handle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, math teacher said:

I'm probably the only woman on the planet who does not own a name brand purse, but I'm tired of purses that look like junk after 4 months. Help me out!! I see these $200 price tags and think, "DO people really pay that much, and more?" If you get them cheaper, where do you find them? Since the pandemic started, I am mostly an online shopper.

I always buy inexpensive purses (never more than $35?) and they last forever but I don't use them much.  I usually get mine from Kohl's but I only buy them every few years.  

I don't think I have ever spent $50 on a purse.  I do not like to carry a big purse.  I want something for keys, phone, sunglasses, and not much else.  If I have a bigger purse it gets full of stuff I don't need to be carrying around.  I also don't want anything I might put down and forget to pick up.  I like something I can wear crossbody.  Straps fall off of my shoulder. Whenever I have tried matching bags to outfits, I have ended up forgetting my wallet, losing my keys, etc.  I don't change bags unless it is for a very formal event.  If am going somewhere that I need to carry more, I carry a tote, briefcase, or backpack, depending upon the circumstance (and my small crossbody purse will usually fit down in one of these).  I have also been places where I am concerned that an expensive bag screams "steal me--I am valuable and there may be valuables inside me."

Target is the most likely place I will buy a bag.  But, I keep my eye out for inexpensive, small, crossbody bags that have the fewest places to break or wear on them.  I have found some at booths at outdoor markets where leater goods like wallets and belts are sold--not name brand but well made.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Katy said:

Haha, I collect purses and I don’t think any of them were less than $200. I used to feel guilty, then I compared it to my DH & fathers expensive hobbies and got over it. I love to shop for other people though, and I can probably find you something secondhand for leas than that. 

What is your style and favorite colors of shoes to wear? Do you want something crossbody or a giant tote? Do you like casual or structured?

ETA: That’s not true.  Coach bag was purchased at TJ Maxx in 1997 for $99. It’s brown pebbled leather and I used it almost exclusively for 15 years. It’s still in great shape, I just got bored with it. 

Oh, that is so kind of you to offer!! I probably won't buy until March (my birthday)-just trying to start shopping.

50 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

How many things do you need to stuff into your purse?

My camera size crossbody purse can only take credit cards (or a small wallet), phone and rescue inhaler. My tote is my “kitchen sink”.  
In my area, I generally see people with midsize purses with their hand sanitizer dangling from the handle. 

I carry a wallet, lotion, pens, kleenex, lip balm, hand sanitizer, my phone, a small notebook, and I'm bad to stuff receipts in there because I want to shred them instead of trashing them.I will occasionally have cold medicine, etc in there. 

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Your primary concern is finding a purse that wears well? How much stuff do you carry around?

For just a bag that wears well, I would look for a baggalini at TJ Maxx. The nylon ones usually last 4-5 years. Look for a darker color.

Yes. I don't want it to start looking scraggly in a few months. I carry wallet, lotion, pens, sanitizer, small notebook, kleenex, and occasionally medication.

I like Baggallini. They come in all kinds of sizes and colors and a lot of them are machine washable. Many of them have built-in wallets, which I also love.

They’re definitely more casual-looking purses, but that’s how I roll. I used one of their Triple Zips for years. It’s teeny but holds a lot.  Currently using this one, which is also small, but just big enough to fit my iPad mini, and it has a perfect little phone pocket next to the main zipper, which I didn’t even realize was there until I used it for a few weeks, but now adore. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in the Brighton store recently (I needed a key fob), and I overheard the sales lady telling the customer about their purses. You can bring your Brighton purse in once every year, and they send it back for reconditioning. Supposedly, they will send it back in like new condition. So I may consider that for my next purse. 

Brahmin bags are very durable. And anything pebble grain leather like D and B. 

I buy second hand eBay, Marketplace, consignment stores. My current purse is made by a brand called Able. It has held up really well. I'm hard on purses. I don't switch back and forth between seasons or outfits. I like something neutral that I can use year round and for a couple of years at least. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I have ended up forgetting my wallet, losing my keys, etc.

My fix for this is my Kate Spade continental wallet (I got for $35 at Kate Spade outlet). I could just use this as my purse with my keys attached to the wrist loop. It has been super helpful especially because I often switch between a reasonable sized purse and the diaper bag.

When I had fancy functions then I do have to pull out things from this wallet to fit, but then those bags of mine only carry my license, phone, 1 creditcard and depending on the purse my keys maybe attached to the outside of my purse.     

• Like 1

What I like in a bag—very secure, not too heavy, medium size.  A mini works OK if it’s big enough to hold my long comb, wallet, and phone.  If I get a big bag I will fill it and it will weigh me down, plus I lose things in there!  

I need a zipper top or a top that snaps closed to feel secure.  

And there must be a zippered pocket inside.

Oddly, the medium totes and smaller purses from Laurel Burch fit the bill pretty well, and although they are heavily patterned, carefully chosen ones coordinated pretty well with most of my clothes.  They are not billed as washable, but as they are cloth I do wash them in the washing machine in a gentle cycle sometimes if the alternative is to toss them for being dirty looking.  They are pretty durable but after years of daily use can get shabby.  At that point I either toss them, donate them, or start using them for knitting project bags.  They are not as expensive as your price range but hold up well enough that they are a good value IMO.

However, I got tired of having a ‘good enough’ bag all the time, and splurged on an Atenti Sophia purse a year or two ago.  I think it was around $175, which is nuts for me, but I love it and have used it almost daily ever since and it still looks brand new.  Very happy with that purchase and the average cost.  It’s clearly going to last a long time.  And I love the fact that it’s made in the US, actually here in CA, as part of a small local business selling mostly through Local Yarn Shops.  

I don’t like to switch purses except to have a tiny one for very occasional evening use.  And I hate the idea of buying an expensive leather one and then scratching it.  Or having to maintain it with frequent applications of some stupid cream, ugh.  I’m much lower maintenance than that.  And my clothes don’t lend themselves to wearing a backpack or back bag.  I prefer a handbag or shoulder bag that I can carry as a handbag without having it drag on the floor.  So those are my parameters.  

IMG_20220117_154306390.thumb.jpg.8152be8dc6912d17517a5f88ef49c268.jpgIMG_20220117_154313908.thumb.jpg.d0cfe67fcfbb8b215cd06b61b1c3d8fa.jpgI have a leather Michael Kors bag I mostly love. It's possibly a knock off as I bought it for $20 from a neighbor and can't find the style online anywhere. I love that it has outside pockets for my phone and sunglasses, pockets for feminine hygiene items, large enough inside for my wallet, Blistex, index cards, and pencil/pen, and a few other items as needed, but not so big that everything gets lost. I also really like that it stands up by itself. It also does closed. The only drawback is that it's bright orange. That worked ok during the fall, but now I'd really like a different color (but identical bag).

• 1 year later...