Menu

When people ask you to do things you don't feel comfortable doing

DawnM

I don't do well with this sort of stuff.   I am working on it, but I tend to get too involved in situations and then regret it.

A couple of years ago, one of my son's friend's parents were divorcing, the mom would call me to vent, and I just listened.   But she kept asking me to call the police and report him, write a letter to say what I knew, etc.....I didn't handle it well and ignored many of the request until it got to the point where I had to say that I didn't feel comfortable, she kept pushing, and I ended up blocking her.   

Another situation has presented itself, I can't go into great detail, but this person wants to file a restraining order against another person.   That's fine, it is probably warranted, etc....but she wants ME to write an email to her with everything I know and sign my name to it and back her up.

Here is why I won't do it:    I have seen the text message she has sent back to this person.  She is just as threatening as the other person has been.   I don't want to get involved, even though the other person does directly affect me.   I just don't want to get involved with HER.   

Do I tell her I have seen the text messages and don't want to be involved or do I ignore or do I just say no?

In other words, how much do I say or not say anything at all?

OY.   this is my fault for thinking I was trying to help.

• Sad 2

“It doesn’t work that way. Police only care about what I personally witnessed. Everything you told me is just hearsay.  Call them yourself or call an attorney, but I will absolutely not lie for you and if you press me on it again I’ll report that to the police.”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Katy said:

“It doesn’t work that way. Police only care about what I personally witnessed. Everything you told me is just hearsay.  Call them yourself or call an attorney, but I will absolutely not lie for you and if you press me on it again I’ll report that to the police.”

She wants me to screen shot everything that the other person has posted about her on Facebook and on her blog.   And to tell the police what I know first hand about the situation.....

I just want out at this point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have found short and clear to be best with less chance of confusion.

"No, I won't xyz."

It is hard to not keep talking and to not want to offer some other help but in that moment it really helps clarity to just live with the awkward and just say no.  Later you can say, "I've been thinking about your situation and think getting a lawyer would be best".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

She wants me to screen shot everything that the other person has posted about her on Facebook and on her blog.   And to tell the police what I know first hand about the situation.....

I just want out at this point.

Why can't she screenshot the posts? If she does not have access to the person's facebook and blog, how does she know what they are saying about her? 

She needs to speak with a lawyer. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

Why can't she screenshot the posts? If she does not have access to the person's facebook and blog, how does she know what they are saying about her? 

She needs to speak with a lawyer. 

She HAS the screenshots, she wants me to email them to her, including somethings from the blog.....which she can look up herself.

• Confused 2

The police don’t need YOU to get access to social media. She’s being unnecessarily dramatic. There’s no legal benefit to get you involved. She just wants company in her chaos. 

I was a people pleaser in my youth. It took until my late thirties to learn to say “No”and later than that to say “no, because I don’t want to.” I felt a no needed a REASON before. My life has been happier and calmer once I realized that the discomfort of saying no is much quicker and easier than going along with a whole production to please a friend. It helps to cull your friend population down to people with real social skills and good hearts. 

• Like 11

Thanks all.   I will say no, but I think I will wait until after Christmas.   My anxiety has been going up and I really don't want to deal with something/someone who doesn't have anything to do with me right now.

I am going to PURGE some things and try to get my anxiety level down.   

• Like 6

You can ignore them and see if they drop it or go away. Meanwhile, practice these phrases and modified versions of them so you're ready should they or someone else press your for involvement in something:

"That's something you should discuss with a lawyer."
"That's something you should discuss with a licensed medical professional."
"That's something you should discuss with a spiritual advisor."
"That's something you should discuss with a licensed therapist."
"That's something you should discuss with leadership." 
"That's something you should discuss with the company."
"That's something you should discuss with your significant other."
"That's something you should discuss with a school staff member."
"That's something you should discuss with them [the person/people they're complaining about.]"

"That doesn't have anything to do with me."
"It's not my place to do that."
"That's not for me to do."
"That's not something I'm comfortable doing."
"That sounds like none of my business."

I agree with not feeling obligated to give a reason, particularly with people who struggle with dropping a subject because it's just fuel for their internal fire.  Have a transition prepared:

"No, I'm not comfortable doing that.  Was that all or was there something else you'd like to talk about?...(If so, talk about that.) ...No?  Nothing else, Ok, well I've got to go. Goodbye."

Or, "It's not my place to do that.  I hope you resolve it soon... What are your plans for the holidays? Is your sister coming into town again this year? " Or whatever topic of mutual interest or season topical that works in your situation.

If you're ever asked again after you said no, simply say, "I already answered that." And then change the subject or end the conversation.  

• Like 3

Are you talking about texts that you have received on which your asker was not copied?

If she has received these same texts, then she should be able to enter the texts into evidence herself.

I would absolutely advise her to work with a lawyer on this.  Tell her that you don't want to risk doing something that could negatively impact her case since you are not a lawyer trained in these matters.

I am a lawyer, and that's what I do when things like this happen to me.

If these are texts that only you have access to, then one option is to allow her lawyer to download copies of the texts.  But this doesn't address the fact that your asker has also behaved similarly.

Maybe you could say something like "I've seen it go both ways.  If I were to offer evidence, I'd feel dishonest only showing one side of what I've seen.  It might even be illegal for me to do that."

On 12/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, DawnM said:

I don't do well with this sort of stuff.   I am working on it, but I tend to get too involved in situations and then regret it.

A couple of years ago, one of my son's friend's parents were divorcing, the mom would call me to vent, and I just listened.   But she kept asking me to call the police and report him, write a letter to say what I knew, etc.....I didn't handle it well and ignored many of the request until it got to the point where I had to say that I didn't feel comfortable, she kept pushing, and I ended up blocking her.   

Another situation has presented itself, I can't go into great detail, but this person wants to file a restraining order against another person.   That's fine, it is probably warranted, etc....but she wants ME to write an email to her with everything I know and sign my name to it and back her up.

Here is why I won't do it:    I have seen the text message she has sent back to this person.  She is just as threatening as the other person has been.   I don't want to get involved, even though the other person does directly affect me.   I just don't want to get involved with HER.   

Do I tell her I have seen the text messages and don't want to be involved or do I ignore or do I just say no?

In other words, how much do I say or not say anything at all?

OY.   this is my fault for thinking I was trying to help.

“Sorry, I don’t feel comfortable doing that.”

I think I’m just old, or maybe it’s a transparent response honed by the past 20 months, but I am way more comfortable saying things like that these days. 

• Like 1

I would say something (via text or email) along the lines of:

"That's quite a burdensome task, and I don't understand why you would need me, specifically, to do it? I love you and I am happy to help you, but I won't get involved in sorting out the minutiae of the nastiness between you - it's not my place and it's not fair of you to ask, you need to talk it over with your lawyer and/or police."

For an in person conversation I'd practice something much shorter:

"I won't do that, it's not my place. Sorry things are tough at the moment."