Menu

Kids 5 - 11 shots — how was the experience?

Spryte

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I hope he feels better soon!

Is anyone else hearing that shot appointments are hard to find? I heard a news report this am that some parents are having trouble finding them (Morning Edition, NPR).

I'm having a helluva time booking an appointment for dd, but rollout has always been bumpy in my location.

ETA: Costco won't let me book an appointment online for an under12 (software prevents me), Walmart has no openings available anywhere near me, the grocery store near me isn't booking under12s online yet, the county clinics are school focused currently (as they probably should be, TBH), Walgreens doesn't have appointments for under 12s yet, and there isn't a CVS anywhere near me. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 2

So, I went and asked a pharmacist in person. While shots are going in arms in some places, that particular pharmacy hadn’t gotten formal authorization to give shots to 5-12. 

I don’t know what to make of that, except to say it explains why I couldn’t book.

ETA: I live in a state with additional regional and state hoops to jump (western governors and my state health authority)….so part of the story makes sense.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

7 hours in, my 10yo is displaying signs of relief. 😉  

Minor arm soreness, but not enough for it to occur to him to use that to get out of his dish night.

He DID have last second anxiety, but our guy at CVS was great with him.

I realized this evening that I never signed a single document or received anything but his vaccine card, which feels kind of weird. I WAS explicitly asked if I consented to a lollipop. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2

My kids got their shots yesterday! DD5 seems to have no serious side effects (she had a tummy ache, but we don't know if it was related, since she's prone to then), and DD9 has a pretty sore arm that's bugging her. 

They are very excited about the shots 🙂 . And we took a day off from school to watch cartoons, lol (we normally watch very little TV), so that was exciting as well! 

• Like 5

On 11/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Syllieann said:

DD10 was vaccinated yesterday morning.  She has just a bit of tenderness at the injection site and said she felt a little tired this morning, but it's Monday after a time change so who knows?  By lunch she was her usual energetic self.

DS8 got his this morning and is now complaining of a headache.  This child has never had a headache in his life.  Fingers crossed that this isn't a bad omen for the next 48 hours.

Just to update on DS8- I gave him some Tylenol yesterday and he hasn't had any complaints since.  When asked, he said his arm was sore, but it wasn't enough to stop him from climbing a tree and wrestling with his brother.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had one appointment booked for my 8 year old last Thursday, but I keep getting e-mails that they're out of vaccine and pushing the appointment back. I guess it's good there's a lot of demand at least. Luckily, I'd heard rumors that this was happening with that place, so I booked a back-up appointment at a walgreens near us on Saturday, and that went super smoothly. He had a bit of a sore arm the next day, but no other reaction. He's happy, and I'm so glad he'll be fully vaccinated before Christmas. 

• Like 3

DD5 was vaccinated today. She has been waiting forever for this. 

She has watched DH, DS and I get vaccines and wanted to know when she was old enough to get it. One of her major woes in life is that she is not big enough to do things. She feels so grown up today.

DH took the morning off and we both took her. Appointments are fast filling up here and we had to scramble.  Luckily got it in a pharmacy.

She was so happy. She is the last kid in our friends group to get vaccinated because of her age. Friends have been sending texts and dropping off food for her (our friend group takes lunch and dinner on two days for parents who get vaccinated and are down and out). Family have facetimed her.

We had donuts for second breakfast, first time in a while we had sat and ate outside in a while. Poor DS was in school.

She is super excited and rather giddy. I keep telling her to slow down and drink water. 

So far no symptoms or rather if there are, nothing to keep her down.

Though I am not as delirious as her, I am giddy inside myself. It was such a stress keeping her safe. With the vaccine it makes it safer.

Flu shot will come later. She can handle it like a champ, I don't think I can.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

My kids got their shots yesterday! DD5 seems to have no serious side effects (she had a tummy ache, but we don't know if it was related, since she's prone to then), and DD9 has a pretty sore arm that's bugging her. 

They are very excited about the shots 🙂 . And we took a day off from school to watch cartoons, lol (we normally watch very little TV), so that was exciting as well! 

As an update, DD5 doesn't seem to have any symptoms, and DD9 says she's a bit tired and sore. But it's hard to say if that's because she didn't want to clean her room, or because of the time change, or because of the vaccine. 

Her arm seems to be back to normal. 

• Like 4

My two little ones received their vaccinations yesterday.  😊  I found a pharmacy in a neighboring city taking appointments and walk-ins.  We got there right in time because when we left, there was a line out the door and down the street.  It was so nice to see people bringing their kids for their shots. 

I was quite teary-eyed because I felt a sense of relief from the stress, like I was seeing an end in sight.  It has been so difficult keeping my kids safe in an area that doesn't think Covid exists.  I was broken and weary, but now I'm a bit hopeful.

My younger child is sniffly and sneezy, like he's coming down with a cold.  The older sibling is totally fine, just a little bit of a sore arm.

I'm truly thankful for this vaccine, and I hope it brings an end to this pandemic.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2021 at 3:52 PM, Carrie12345 said:

I realized this evening that I never signed a single document or received anything but his vaccine card, which feels kind of weird. I WAS explicitly asked if I consented to a lollipop. 🤷‍♀️ 

Did you register him online? My waiver was part of the online registration and was just a typed signature. 

• Like 2

My kids were all vaccinated yesterday. No complaints. The 6-year-old said his arm was sore; but he was also angling for a popsicle.

I’m enjoying the nasty FB comments on how people will pray for my children(on a local news site because I’m dumb and posted how happy we were to get vaxxed). Strangely, no one is citing sources for their number of 30% of vaccinated boys develop myocarditis. Odd that they don’t have sources….

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My 9 and 11 yr olds just got theirs! The person doing it at CVS was awesome - she let them pick their own bandaid first, then had them hold it to "help her" while she did it. She was SUPER fast - DS 9 said he didn't even feel it. DD 11 did, but they hit a capillary on her and it bled a bit, so that's probably why. DS 9's arm was sore right away, but that's it. And they got lollypops and a glow bracelet after, lol. DD 4 is asking and hoping she can get one soon too 🙂

• Like 7

DD wanted me to sleep with me, so I let her. I thought she had a bit of fever, did the mom thermometer because I am scientific like that. 😉

All ok today. I asked her if her arm hurt, she said no.

DH and I are getting vaxxed with our booster next week. Last time, we were down. Chills, fever, fatigue the whole bit. Now we are feeling like wimps because we may feel like that again and the kids may look at us like what, can't handle a vaccine side effect ? 🤣

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Haha 5

Sort of tangential, but this seems like the most appropriate place:

Just got back from our well-child.  I expected pedi to give ds8 a flu shot, but instead she advised us to wait 3 weeks after the second covid shot.  I told her we were probably going to delay the second shot so she said just get flu shot in between.  I guess the official stance of getting them together is because they don't want people delaying covid shots and a disturbing percentage won't return for the other shot.  Where the luxury exists to space them without worry that patients won't get the other shot, she says it's preferable to space.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Syllieann said:

Just got back from our well-child.  I expected pedi to give ds8 a flu shot, but instead she advised us to wait 3 weeks after the second covid shot.  I told her we were probably going to delay the second shot so she said just get flu shot in between.  I guess the official stance of getting them together is because they don't want people delaying covid shots and a disturbing percentage won't return for the other shot.  Where the luxury exists to space them without worry that patients won't get the other shot, she says it's preferable to space.

That makes sense to me, from my history in vet medicine, and is what I was planning to do with my kids. Covid #1 today, Covid #2 in 3 weeks, then flu shot 2-3 weeks after that. Our flu season ramps up after Christmas break it seems, so that makes the most sense to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrichstad said:

11yo and 6yo got their shots Sunday with no problem, but yesterday (Tuesday) DS6 started running a fever. Seems late for side effects? Has anyone had or heard of a delayed reaction like that?

My kids got theirs Saturday and my six year old ran a mild fever Monday, so tracking right with yours. It was gone by the end of the day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My kids were all vaccinated yesterday. No complaints. The 6-year-old said his arm was sore; but he was also angling for a popsicle.

I’m enjoying the nasty FB comments on how people will pray for my children(on a local news site because I’m dumb and posted how happy we were to get vaxxed). Strangely, no one is citing sources for their number of 30% of vaccinated boys develop myocarditis. Odd that they don’t have sources….

I got some weird the-vaccine-will-do-terrible-things-to-your-kids responses on Facebook too.

I just hid them.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jrichstad said:

11yo and 6yo got their shots Sunday with no problem, but yesterday (Tuesday) DS6 started running a fever. Seems late for side effects? Has anyone had or heard of a delayed reaction like that?

This happened to a friend of mine -- she got her second Moderna shot, felt fine, then two days later got walloped by side effects.  I think it's pretty uncommon but I guess everyone's immune system is a little different.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Syllieann said:

This does make a lot of sense.  We are also thinking about spacing out DS11's second shot at least by an additional week or two (for efficacy, not safety, reasons) and i was wondering whether we should do the flu shot in between or just wait three weeks until he's done with the whole covid series.

I took DS13 and DS16 to a drive-thru flu vaccine clinic yesterday.  So convenient!  DS13 is such a PITA about shots and this one was no exception, but he did fine(ish).  I was so awful about getting shots when I was a kid, though, I really can't complain -- clearly it's just karmic retribution for what I put my own mother through.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Syllieann said:

Yeah I made sure to get my kids their flu shot before the Covid shot came out for them.   I got my flu and covid shot together and it was horrible.  Not sure if it was the combo together?  I had no reactions to the first 2 covid shots, but did with the covid booster and flu.  I am so glad to have both done for them before the our life gets really nuts with Nutcracker and the holidays.  Now I just want boosters for my kids 12 and up.   I am going to be most worried for them during these next few months now.  The tables will have turned.  They are 6 months out from Pfizer next month.

• 3 weeks later...

DD (10) had her second shot yesterday. Sore arm last night and this morning. Very tired, soooo tired. So tired that she couldn’t finish math, so we stopped halfway through and on a hunch I took her temp. 102.3! Poor girl. She is tucked on the couch with blankets and soup and a favorite show now. 

Anyone else seeing side effects like this after the second shot?

(Other than the shot clinic yesterday and an immediate masked dash into a bakery afterwards, she hasn’t been anywhere to be exposed, so I don’t think she is actually sick.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Kids had their second shots yesterday.  DS6 complained of leg aches this morning but I sent him to school anyway. He was sent home around a half hour later with a 100.1 degree temperature.  He’s slept all day.  The other two kids, ages 11 and 9, have had a sore arm but nothing else. 

I was wondering how that would work if a kid have a fever from the vax.  I'm worried dd will be flagged at her extracurricular activity tomorrow where they tell scan everyone at the door.  They just treated him as if he were sick?

9 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I was wondering how that would work if a kid have a fever from the vax.  I'm worried dd will be flagged at her extracurricular activity tomorrow where they tell scan everyone at the door.  They just treated him as if he were sick?

Called me when he failed the temp screening. Body aches and a temp so now I have to find a Covid test. He can’t go back till he’s 24 hours without symptoms and has a negative Covid test. Even though it’s clearly from the vaccine.  

• Like 2

My 9 and 11yr olds got the first dose last week. My 11yr old had no symptoms, but my 9yr old was pretty sick. I finally took him to the dr on day 3 of fever and the dr thought he likely had a virus. I am very pro vaccine, but it does make me nervous about getting a second dose for him. Hopefully it was a virus and not a reaction.

• Like 1

DS8 and DD10 got second doses on Wednesday.  DS had a slightly sore arm the following morning.  It was gone by lunch and he had no other symptoms.  DD had a very sore arm the entire next day and a bad headache in the evening.  She slept until 11 the following (Fri) morning.  She also had mild lymph node swelling and tenderness in the underarm area on the shot side beginning about 24 hours after shot.  We treated with ibuprofen and ice.  It resolved after about a day and a half.