Menu

Thanks, everyone!

bibiche

From a quick browse, it looks like there are several mental health crisis hotlines in the Seattle area.  Perhaps you can try calling them to get suggestions?  

Thank you for being there for your friend.  Sometimes all it takes is one person to make a difference.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would want to know why the ambulance never showed to see if we can prevent that from happening again.

Yeah, it’s unclear. It’s possible that my information is inaccurate. I would hope that’s the case! It’s also possible that my friend managed to somehow cancel the call…? Who knows. It’s a mess.

• Like 2

Would your friend accept a ride to the ER? I have driven people to the ER for mental health, and stayed with them till they are seen/admitted (otherwise, pretty sure they might lose their nerve and leave). 

I’m so sorry you’re trying to handle this long distance, it’s more difficult. 

I have had good luck calling the suicide hotline with the person in distress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bibiche said:

This is where she was, the place that released her into the wild. 😠 

I'm so sorry.  What do you mean by "her therapist is inadequate?"  If the hospital thought she was stabilized and she had an appointment within a week with a counselor, that's pretty standard of care.  But it's not at all unusual for people to be admitted and have to go back shortly thereafter.  

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

Can Lexapro compound suicidal ideation?

Any antidepressant can do so, especially if it hasn't been taken for very long.  It's more likely to occur in someone under 25.  

Possibly a different psych hospital?  Swedish, maybe?  I agree it doesn't sound like this is a tenable situation.  

• Thanks 1

She could try a long sauna (in addition to a medication) which oddly has been shown to help with resistant depression. Changes in participants occurred quickly and lasted. Many of them wanted the sauna machine used in the trial (iirc, an rct) after their first session. The sauna was hot, long and monitored. Might be worth a try.

If you want to learn more, check out Rhonda Patrick’s YouTube video with Charles Raison. She recently did an interview with a woman that might also be worth watching. I haven’t watched it yet but I believe they talk about sauna use for psychological issues. 

I’m on a long drive today so can’t check in til later but I hope your friend will be okay. ((( )))

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would want to know why the ambulance never showed to see if we can prevent that from happening again.

I echo this. I find it distressing that the ambulance did not show up for someone who obviously needed it.

@bibiche , I have no suggestions to offer but will keep sending you and your friends good thoughts and prayers as you help your friend. 

I pray that through the darkness enveloping her, your friend can see there are good people who still value and love her and get the help she needs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend in California whose son was suicidal in another area and no one would respond.  In this area, they quit having cops respond to suicidal ideation.  There was supposed to be a mental health team, but that wasn't really happening or was not happening effectively.  The son ended up okay, but easily could not have been.  After something like two days, someone eventually went by, asked him if he was suicidal and he said no, they left. 😭

I hope you can get help for your friend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Seattle has a Crisis Response Team that pairs police with mental health professionals but it's overwhelmed.  Best bet is to drive her to the ER but serious psychosis is going to end up at Harborview.  And if she won't go voluntarily, she has to meet the definition necessary for an involuntary hold (which she might meet because it does sound like she's in serious jeopardy of harming herself). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Can Lexapro compound suicidal ideation?

YES!!!!!!!!!  The only time I was ever suicidal is when my fp put me on Lexapro. My psych found out it was the WORST drug for me according to my genetics. It did the same thing to my son.  I found out last night it did the same thing to my neice...and she isn't genetically related to me.  I think that drug is from the devil, but I know it has helped some people. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I have a friend in California whose son was suicidal in another area and no one would respond.  In this area, they quit having cops respond to suicidal ideation.  There was supposed to be a mental health team, but that wasn't really happening or was not happening effectively.  The son ended up okay, but easily could not have been.  After something like two days, someone eventually went by, asked him if he was suicidal and he said no, they left. 😭

I hope you can get help for your friend. 

I’m so sorry. That’s awful. Glad he’s okay!!

Just now, MooCow said:

Oh my, I am so sorry, I'm praying and sending good thoughts! You are an amazing person for helping her! You seriously rock! 

I’m seriously not. All of you are, for helping someone you don’t know from Adam. Thank you all so very much. Help is (hopefully) on the way. Fingers crossed she gets admitted and gets the help she needs.

• Like 2

This has been done. And 911 just called because she won’t go voluntarily. The problem is she is extremely intelligent and well-educated in addition to being extremely beautiful. She knows what to say and how to act to get what she wants (which is to not go back to the hospital and, if she loses that battle, to get released asap).

This means, though, that she's not in a fullblown psychotic state where she would no longer be able to manipulate the system.  I'm not minimizing the severity of her situation by saying this.  It's just that the mental health laws are going to default to allowing her to do this at this point and it is good to be aware of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Yeah, it’s unclear. It’s possible that my information is inaccurate. I would hope that’s the case! It’s also possible that my friend managed to somehow cancel the call…? Who knows. It’s a mess.

If a person knows exactly what to say - they can't/won't transport you.  if you voluntarily go - you can voluntarily leave.  

here's a list of 10 psych hospitals in the area.   a few i'm not sure if they are psych hospitals, or if they're just clinics.

• Thanks 1

A couple medic friends in Seattle have told me over the last few months that their crisis mental health team is overwhelmed.  It sounds like they don’t send an ambulance to every 911 call for suicidal ideation. They may have done a phone screening and the person convinced them there is no immediate crisis so they did not send anyone out.  We have a similar system where I work, and frankly people are able to talk their way out of a mental health hold.

Frankly I’ve done it myself because I knew the right things to say and what not to say, despite being suicidal with a solid plan.  I just knew not to tell them that.

Your best bet is to call a suicide hotline, especially local to her, that can help with resources.  This is past saunas and ketamine clinics.  Someone who has the desire, plan, means and opportunity to commit suicide is in an emergency. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ktgrok I don’t know. From what I’m

reading 45% of depressed people have depression with psychotic features - maybe not hearing voices, but being paranoid and having delusional thinking.

Good to know. All the in person contact I've had with delusional people were with those diagnosed as bipolar. But, now that I'm thinking about it, they were not suicidal when delusional. So what you are saying makes more sense. 

• Like 1

• bibiche changed the title to Thanks, everyone!