Menu

KY school news

Elizabeth86

Anyone besides me read this yet?

student-staff lap dances at KY high school 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1282630

I dare someone to question me homeschooling my kids. lol

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/lap-dance-skit-hazard-high-school-kentucky-investigation/ I think this link had pictures.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

What in the world? I don't care if it was a "student led activity" - the adults should have put a stop to it in the planning phase and if it was  off the plan, then they should have done so immediately. The only appropriate disciplinary action IMO is termination.

• Like 5

Here are some of the actual images. This isn't kids in their regular clothes dancing around, this is truly scantily clad clothing. And the principal/mayor has a history of investigations with students.  https://nypost.com/2021/10/27/kentucky-principal-probed-after-getting-lap-dance-at-homecoming/

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Here are some of the actual images. This isn't kids in their regular clothes dancing around, this is truly scantily clad clothing. And the principal/mayor has a history of investigations with students.  https://nypost.com/2021/10/27/kentucky-principal-probed-after-getting-lap-dance-at-homecoming/

And the adults are laughing it up and having the time of their lives.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

And the adults are laughing it up and having the time of their lives.

Yes.  And what exactly are the dress code rules at that school?  Because what those kids were wearing wasn't anything like meeting dress code at an school in the US.  I mean, I despise cheerleading, parents of cheerleaders, and staff who allow kids to participate in it because it's so demeaning to women with girls shaking their butts and boobs in short skirts with panty substitutes for all the world to see, but the skimpy stuff those kids were wearing makes cheerleaders look like nuns by comparison.

There better be an investigation of not only the school staff, but the previous investigation/investigators because if law enforcement was called in to investigate and there was evidence of illegal activities of any kind with kids, they failed to do their jobs. 

• Like 6

It looks like it might have missed the "red flags" (which should have been all over this thing) because it was (at least partially) boys dressed as girls, which can make it seem silly or embarrassing, instead of openly sexual and exploitative (which it was). The whole ability of a group of adults to not even notice how inappropriate this event was speaks to the culture of the school -- and possibly even a wider culture (the town, the region, etc.).

I've seen events on this kind of theme when I was a teenager: like at a 'talent show' a group of teen boys dressing in layers of women's clothing and doing a "strip show" where they ended up wearing perfectly normal shorts (no shirts) with lots of laughter and applause. Or imagine (an adult) drag queen faux-flirting with a male audience member in order to make him uncomfortable for laughs.

I think it plays on something very misogynistic and heteronormative -- the pretense that because these are boys, they can inherently not be sexually objectified or victimized, and no adult males are actually attracted in any way, therefore all the playacting is harmless. Making them up to be women is a joke because it makes them 'take a step down' the social hierarchy, and having them be sexy objectified versions of women is even funnier because it's even more derogatory. The boys then acting like they are having fun with the role exaggerates the anti-woman stereotype as well as the contrast. (Especially if they are high-status very-masculine boys, such as student athletes. And I'd lay money that they were. We can wait and see.)

It also sounds like they do this type of event on a yearly basis, which can slowly inoculate people into thinking that something can't be wrong if it's always been done this way. Maybe they push it a bit further each year to try and 'top last year' and it just kept getting closer and closer to 'the line' that nobody could really see any more. Maybe it has 'another side' like all the girls dress up with beer bellies and fake beards and egg the boys on, and that somehow makes it seem like a wholesome switcheroo instead of like a sick sex show.

I think the context will help us figure out what we are all asking... How in the heck did this ever happen anywhere ever? I'm only guessing, but my guess is that people had this in a blind spot for some reason... I guess we'll see.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, bolt. said:

I think it plays on something very misogynistic and heteronormative -- the pretense that because these are boys, they can inherently not be sexually objectified or victimized, and no adult males are actually attracted in any way, therefore all the playacting is harmless. Making them up to be women is a joke because it makes them 'take a step down' the social hierarchy, and having them be sexy objectified versions of women is even funnier because it's even more derogatory. The boys then acting like they are having fun with the role exaggerates the anti-woman stereotype as well as the contrast. (Especially if they are high-status very-masculine boys, such as student athletes. And I'd lay money that they were. We can wait and see.)

Every. Word.

• Like 1

I saw this. All I could think was , "What kind of absolute fools sit in those stands idly watching this, instead of storming the show and stopping it?" Seriously, Mark and I would NOT have sat there for that. On top of which the minute an adult touched one of those kids, we would have called the police. One spank, just one spank. Bam, hello police department.

I don't get it, but my sister worked as a social worker in Kentucky before moving to France, and well, this area of KY is known for some pretty serious problems in a lot of areas, education and common sense being just two of many. My guess is the parents are just fine with their kids being groomed by perverts (this is what I would term every single staff and faculty member who took part, every adult in on the planning and execution) so long as they never have to read Maya Angelou.

What a team of adults. Morons and perverts! Quite the combo. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Eek.  The worrying thing was all the emphasis on the apology/explanation seemed to be focused on how it got to social media and might harm reputations not on the fact that it’s inherently ick.

It’s a typical response. They have no shame so they simply don’t care that it happened, only that they got caught. We’ve been watching this play out in public arenas the same way well, forever. It’s not unique to anywhere. 

I wish I could feel shock but instead it just feels hopeless at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, bolt. said:

I think it plays on something very misogynistic and heteronormative -- the pretense that because these are boys, they can inherently not be sexually objectified or victimized, and no adult males are actually attracted in any way

I think this part is very important and why teen boys are so often victimized by coaches, teachers, priests, Boy Scout leaders etc.  We make sexual abuse of teen boys a joke, portray boys as stereotypical frat boys, and portray homosexuality as such a farce. How could any boy in that community come forward with an accusation of abuse against a leader if this is what is viewed as funny/normal. We need to empower boys the way we have girls to realize in an unbalanced power situation (adult to teen sexual relationship) they are always the victim regardless of how things start. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, hshibley said:

I think this part is very important and why teen boys are so often victimized by coaches, teachers, priests, Boy Scout leaders etc.  We make sexual abuse of teen boys a joke, portray boys as stereotypical frat boys, and portray homosexuality as such a farce. How could any boy in that community come forward with an accusation of abuse against a leader if this is what is viewed as funny/normal. We need to empower boys the way we have girls to realize in an unbalanced power situation (adult to teen sexual relationship) they are always the victim regardless of how things start. 

THIS THIS THIS.

And yet perversely if boys aren’t straight, the same who find behavior like this to be funny and harmless are suddenly enraged and do everything in their power to make them suffer.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Every. Word.

13 hours ago, bolt. said:

It looks like it might have missed the "red flags" (which should have been all over this thing) because it was (at least partially) boys dressed as girls, which can make it seem silly or embarrassing, instead of openly sexual and exploitative (which it was). The whole ability of a group of adults to not even notice how inappropriate this event was speaks to the culture of the school -- and possibly even a wider culture (the town, the region, etc.).

I've seen events on this kind of theme when I was a teenager: like at a 'talent show' a group of teen boys dressing in layers of women's clothing and doing a "strip show" where they ended up wearing perfectly normal shorts (no shirts) with lots of laughter and applause. Or imagine (an adult) drag queen faux-flirting with a male audience member in order to make him uncomfortable for laughs.

It also sounds like they do this type of event on a yearly basis, which can slowly inoculate people into thinking that something can't be wrong if it's always been done this way. Maybe they push it a bit further each year to try and 'top last year' and it just kept getting closer and closer to 'the line' that nobody could really see any more. Maybe it has 'another side' like all the girls dress up with beer bellies and fake beards and egg the boys on, and that somehow makes it seem like a wholesome switcheroo instead of like a sick sex show.

I think the context will help us figure out what we are all asking... How in the heck did this ever happen anywhere ever? I'm only guessing, but my guess is that people had this in a blind spot for some reason... I guess we'll see.

My sil was on the football team, soccer team, etc. He is very masculine looking but doesn't hold women are a joke type attitude.  The dd he married is definitely the dominant partner in the relationship.  He is in his mid 30s,  He was supposed to do not these specific dance things in high school, but other cross dressing and being a cheerleader or something- and that was the tamest thing.  He was very unhappy with all the objectification of him in high school.  He was harassed by a lot of girls who thought it was super funny to embarrass him.  And by harassed, I do mean things like groping, and not just words.  Between what happened in high school and what happened to him when he was 7 or 8 (older female girl who did bad things), he is just so very against any of this kind of thing and if they ever have children, he wants to make sure nothing like this happens.  

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

My guess is the parents are just fine with their kids being groomed by perverts (this is what I would term every single staff and faculty member who took part, every adult in on the planning and execution) so long as they never have to read Maya Angelou.

That's quite a judgemental leap there don't you think? 

59 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

@TravelingChrisI can’t tell whether your response to quote was an anecdotal addition or a dispute. Just in case, what you quoted was a societal generalization that fuels these types of things, not a characterization of every individual male high school athlete that ever existed. No one assumes your sil is gross. 

I understand and knew that.  I was basically saying that big, masculine athletes don't always want to these things 

47 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I understand and knew that.  I was basically saying that big, masculine athletes don't always want to these things 

I got that. What I was meaning in the first place is that generally these "boy dresses as girl" things are only thought to be "funny" when they are done by people who already securely and obviously hold a masculine role, like athletics. It's not nearly so "funny" if you imagine a drama club doing it... then it's "gay". That's because it's the contrast that's "funny" in this scheme. For there to be contrast, the "manlier" the boy is and the more objectified of a girl's role he is playing, the "better" the joke is.

I didn't mean to imply that being athletic made boys either willing participants in the first place, nor bullet-proof in the outcomes. There's definitely damage here.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MEmama said:

It’s a typical response. They have no shame so they simply don’t care that it happened, only that they got caught. We’ve been watching this play out in public arenas the same way well, forever. It’s not unique to anywhere. 

I wish I could feel shock but instead it just feels hopeless at this point. 

It kind of makes sense though.  People have been doing this stuff for years and it has suddenly blown up.  Must be the fault of all that social media.

• Like 1