Menu

Now that Dune is available, is HBO Max worthwhile

crazyforlatin

Mostly just movies when available; however, if you want it for one movie, you can fairly easily subscribe for a month, then cancel if you find nothing else worth watching. I'm blanking on what we watch specifically there....we have Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV, Disney plus....(also still cable, b/c football) but DH just subscribes/cancels when movies come out that we'd want. 

• Thanks 1

I have Netflix, Prime and some stuff on my Fubo- Starz, Epic, Cinemax - which I will cancel.I also have HBOMax through my son's subscription.  Next week, I will be letting him have my Fubo- cause I need to be there to activate on my phone.  If my dd2 has Hulu which she has had in the past, I can give her Fubo- for it.  I am totally uninterested in Disney.

HBO Max has short series I am interested in like Chernobyl.  I am also interested sometimes watching Bill Maher since we seem to agree a lot.  And when I signed on this week  the night before our awful Chromecast remote control broke and we were about to eat dinner when I did so I haven't been able to investigate it and can't remember what exactly they have but a lot of stuff they showed would appeal to me but not Marvel movies.

• Thanks 1

We like HBO Max, but we don’t keep it all the time. We keep Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Prime (plus we have a year or two free of Apple TV+). So it seems like overkill unless there’s something specific we want to watch. We rotate between HBO Max, Paramount+, and Starz if we are going to do an extra of something else. We currently have HBO Max and will watch Dune, and probably cancel after this month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We got it for one month.

We got it for one month when Mortal Combat came out, also, it was something my husband wanted to see.

We used to have HBO and loved many kid movies, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and some of The Wire and Boardwalk Empire.

We might cancel a different service and keep HBO Max — it will depend on what people are watching.  

It’s an easy choice for us when it is less than the price of a movie we would want to see.  

For us we had a subscription during Game of Thrones and at that time didn’t have other services, so we watched everything we wanted to watch.  And then there are some things we are interested in but it’s likely we will watch them within a month.

And if not maybe we will cancel Netflix for a month.  Hulu is our favorite right now overall and the one we would not cancel.  Disney plus was included in some package so we are basically not paying for it right now.  

What was nice was that my husband didn’t have to “create an account” for HBO Max.  He just activated our account, it was very easy.  It was very easy to cancel when we canceled it.  

It has been very easy to get in and out of Netflix, as well.

Those are the only ones we have joined and cancelled.  

In general we would switch them, but we are basically planning to just have HBO Max a month right now, so my husband didn’t cancel Netflix.  But we will see — if we end up not really watching Netflix and getting into HBO Max — then we will change.

There is a new-to-us season of Curb Your Enthusiasm — that is the only thing, so far, my husband and I totally plan to watch.  And we will probably re-watch earlier seasons of it.  At this point I think we will watch that, let my son watch some kid movies, and cancel in a month.  

My husband may have already canceled — and then he won’t have to remember to cancel later.  If you cancel you can watch through the time you have already paid for — and then don’t have to make sure to remember later.  

• Thanks 1

We have a love/hate relationship with HBO Max.  We stream services through the PS4, and none of them have issues except HBO.  It is very touchy and only allows one pick per session, and then dies.

We do keep it because it has shows dh watches, and it offers things from TCM (which became a premium channel here as soon as it partnered with HBO Max), so the family watches older films together.  But yeah, it's really not my favorite streaming service because it can't get its act together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

We have a love/hate relationship with HBO Max.  We stream services through the PS4, and none of them have issues except HBO.  It is very touchy and only allows one pick per session, and then dies.

We do keep it because it has shows dh watches, and it offers things from TCM (which became a premium channel here as soon as it partnered with HBO Max), so the family watches older films together.  But yeah, it's really not my favorite streaming service because it can't get its act together.

Okay, that is why on my welcome page when I signed in I saw cool old movies I was interested in.

• Like 1

We got it for Many Saints of Newark. I’ve been happy to see full episodes of John Oliver, and I got to check out The Morning Show, though it hasn’t hooked me enough to binge.

I don’t like it enough to keep it, given we have Hulu, Apple, Prime, Netflix, and premium YouTube. Dh might disagree. We’ll see.

• Thanks 1

We subscribed and started watching Dune. That movie only is worth the $15! 

During one of the amazon promos I bought a remote and was able to get a package deal for Hulu and Disney. I barely use Hulu or Starz and have a free Apple subscription for now (though Ted Lasso only is worth the subscription). 

I’ll browse some more. Should I start watching GOT. I’m not really into shows with incest (a friend keeps pointing that out). I lean towards thrillers, post apocalyptic and detective shows. I’m completely fine with violence so I did like Squid Game and Alice in Borderland. But then my favorite show now is Ted Lasso.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

We like HBO Max, but we don’t keep it all the time. We keep Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Prime (plus we have a year or two free of Apple TV+). So it seems like overkill unless there’s something specific we want to watch. We rotate between HBO Max, Paramount+, and Starz if we are going to do an extra of something else. We currently have HBO Max and will watch Dune, and probably cancel after this month.

I’m planning to rotate as I really don’t need all these services, but I didn’t about about Paramount. The one I use the least is Hulu,but that was part of a free package, and Starz which gave me a discount after I tried to cancel.

• Like 2

We have HBO Max as part of our cable package we can’t get rid of if we want internet. Yeah.

I do watch a fair number of shows on it. I just finished Love Life with Anna Kendrick and The Other Two. Otherwise most of my shows probably wouldn’t appeal to many other people here. 

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

I’m planning to rotate as I really don’t need all these services, but I didn’t about about Paramount. The one I use the least is Hulu,but that was part of a free package, and Starz which gave me a discount after I tried to cancel.

Hulu is my least favorite, too. HBO Max — I know we watched GOT, and WestWorld. The kids lobbied for HBO Max this month, there’s a lot they watch.

Though we don’t have it at the moment, Paramount + has been a favorite. I loved Picard and the latest Star Trek series. So good! There was more, too, I just can’t recall at the moment.

The surprise to me has been Apple TV+. Hello Ted Lasso! And some others. Very well done. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:41 PM, lovinmyboys said:

Dh and I watched Flight Attendant and Mere of Eastown together.

Dd put her HBO Max onto our Roku last Christmas because we wanted to see the very first tv show she worked on as part of the production crew -- The Flight Attendant.  She wasn't actually a fan of the show, and didn't care if we ever saw it, but we insisted.  

After that, we sort of forgot we had it.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, MEmama said:

. I just finished Love Life with Anna Kendrick and The Other Two. 

I'm home alone sick, and saw this thread, and decided to sign into HBO Max to see if there's anything I'd want to watch.  And, lo and behold, The Other Two is a show dd worked on last spring (season 2) and actually liked. Just binged it, and, yep, that has a very specific audience. I thought it was fun; dh would be appalled.

Now I need to cruise some of these other recommendations. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, Beth S said:

PSA:   Our kids went to see Dune at the IMAX (2 hours from their houses!) yesterday and loved it. 

DH and DS did exactly the same thing and DH said it was one of the best movies he's ever seen. I have no idea if this was hyperbole or not but he's not prone to exaggeration. They liked the fact that it stayed pretty true to the book.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 3:04 AM, HomeAgain said:

But yeah, it's really not my favorite streaming service because it can't get its act together.

This is our experience with it. We find the interface awful, and it's very buggy for us. We subscribed for The West Wing when it left Netflix and then cancelled as soon as we finished. I was trying to find a way to show ds Sesame Street this evening, and it turns out HBO Max is carrying it now, but the app required an update, yet kept crashing when we tried to update it. Then I tried it on my computer where it said the first episode was free, but once I gave it my email address to watch it free, it wouldn't play 😡.

10 hours ago, GailV said:

Dd put her HBO Max onto our Roku last Christmas because we wanted to see the very first tv show she worked on as part of the production crew -- The Flight Attendant.  She wasn't actually a fan of the show, and didn't care if we ever saw it, but we insisted.  

After that, we sort of forgot we had it.

I'm home alone sick, and saw this thread, and decided to sign into HBO Max to see if there's anything I'd want to watch.  And, lo and behold, The Other Two is a show dd worked on last spring (season 2) and actually liked. Just binged it, and, yep, that has a very specific audience. I thought it was fun; dh would be appalled.

Now I need to cruise some of these other recommendations. 

How exciting! 🙂 

17 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I started watching Westworld, just a few episodes in, and was thinking that the name and premise sound familiar. Is this based on a book or an old movie? At least I have a show to watch since there's nothing right now on Netflix.

It was both a book and an old movie (70's maybe). I don't know that I have ever read the book but I distinctly remember watching the movie.

We get HBO Max with our cell phone plan and have only found a few things to watch. There were a couple of documentaries and we're currently watching Deadwood. We watched Dune the other night. If it wasn't free we wouldn't wouldn't pay for it since we haven't found that much worth watching.