Menu

Boosters for Pfizer and Moderna available for everybody starting Sept 20

TravelingChris

I'm glad this is finally out, but I was hoping to get mine sooner to protect my unvaccinated children.  It seems like people who need to not pass it to immunocompromised or fragile people should be eligible sooner than people who just need to not get severely ill.  Maybe that will be forthcoming.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I'm glad this is finally out, but I was hoping to get mine sooner to protect my unvaccinated children.  It seems like people who need to not pass it to immunocompromised or fragile people should be eligible sooner than people who just need to not get severely ill.  Maybe that will be forthcoming.

I think in some states, people who live with someone who has compromised immunity can get the booster now. One of the FB groups I'm in has someone who was eligible due to a family member. This is how it was in many states for the original shots as well. 

• Like 1

Make it happen tomorrow and I'd be a lot happer.

My wife--whose Pfizer vaccination is likely on its last legs--is in a classroom (doing god's work working with students with special needs who are neither eligible for vaccines or practically able to maintain mask wearing or social distancing) is as vulnerable as can be.

School has started. A month from now may be too late.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Sad 17

22 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

My wife--whose Pfizer vaccination is likely on its last legs--is in a classroom (doing god's work working with students with special needs who are neither eligible for vaccines or practically able to maintain mask wearing or social distancing) is as vulnerable as can be.

Bill

I am sorry, Bill! Thinking good thoughts for her, hoping for you and your family nothing but the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TravelingChris said:

And I really feel badly about no recommendations for J&J people so no clue if they can get either a second shot now or z booster later or what????

I know. I have a husband and son with JnJ because at the time, all the pharmacies were out of Pfizer and Moderna so I am very much on edge!

56 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

As soon as Pfizer's full approval comes through in 2 weeks, doctors can use it off label for boosters even before boosters are formally available. Does your wife have a sympathetic HCP who would give her a 3rd dose (or write a prescription for one) as soon as the full approval is announced? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

As soon as Pfizer's full approval comes through in 2 weeks, doctors can use it off label for boosters even before boosters are formally available. Does your wife have a sympathetic HCP who would give her a 3rd dose (or write a prescription for one) as soon as the full approval is announced? 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this suggestion.

While my wife is fortunately very healthy, she is so exposed at school work with students who are not practically capable of masking and are too young for vaccines.

2 weeks would be far--far---better than 4 weeks.  I'd prefer tomorrow, or later this afternoon.

Thank you!

Bill

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Syllieann said:

It's about how the shot works.  Not some arbitrary spacing.

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's about how the shot works.  Not some arbitrary spacing.

Yeah, that was my point.  Some people are willing to get a booster when effectiveness against infection starts to drop off (in order to not infect other vulnerable people they come in contact with) and others will want to wait until effectiveness against severe illness starts to drop off.  Obviously, the effectiveness against infection drops off sooner than effectiveness against severe disease.  So maybe the first group, who might live or work with someone at high risk who can't be vaccinated, should get boosted at 6 months (or maybe 4 for Pfizer) instead of 8 months.  Their goals are different.

• Like 4

Any prediction as to what to expect for side effects? I had nothing but a sore arm from first shot, but fever/chills that would have kept me out of work if it wasn't a Saturday the day after the second shot. Is my body done reacting like that, or will it be the same thing again?

They're still sticking to get the same shot as first two as a booster?  I got Pfizer and am kind of thinking it could be good to mix things up and get a Moderna booster.  But as it stands I won't be eligible till January 😕, so I guess there's time for that to get sorted...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Yep. I also wish it were tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Any prediction as to what to expect for side effects? I had nothing but a sore arm from first shot, but fever/chills that would have kept me out of work if it wasn't a Saturday the day after the second shot. Is my body done reacting like that, or will it be the same thing again?

I’d guess it’s more similar to second shot than first shot, from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Thank you for mentioning that. Dh and dd were on the early side, and I’m going to text dd now to call the doctor ASAP to see about that.

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Keeping your wife in my thoughts, Bill. 

I do hope the off label, full approval, work-around mentioned upthread may pan out and she can get her booster sooner than later; and hoping/praying she remain protected until then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Keeping your wife in my thoughts, Bill. 

I do hope the off label, full approval, work-around mentioned upthread may pan out and she can get her booster sooner than later; and hoping/praying she remain protected until then. 

Thank you.

Bill

I'll be eligible end of October, at worst. 

I am hoping Moderna gets approved for under 18. L will be at school when 8 months expires, and the college health service does Moderna. I've signed medical authorizations, but I don't know that the campus health service would be willing to accompany an under 18 student to CVS to get Pfizer. 

• Like 1