Menu

How long does it take you to fully wake up in the morning?

Katy

23 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Your thinking may be false. I'm guessing at least some of those people are like me--I have no trouble at all waking up, to the point that I rarely need to use an alarm clock. Having quiet time in the morning is about setting the tone for the day, getting off on the right mental footing. If I start off w/o being hurried I stay mentally relaxed all day. If I start out hurried it stays with me, and I'm stressy all day, even if I don't need to be.

Yep. I hate being hurried. I do best when I can have a slow start to the day. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Your thinking may be false. I'm guessing at least some of those people are like me--I have no trouble at all waking up, to the point that I rarely need to use an alarm clock. Having quiet time in the morning is about setting the tone for the day, getting off on the right mental footing. If I start off w/o being hurried I stay mentally relaxed all day. If I start out hurried it stays with me, and I'm stressy all day, even if I don't need to be.

I realize it is my preference.....if you want to get up at 4:30 for a job that starts at 7:00, that is certainly your choice.  But then it is hard for me to listen to complaints about how tired you are (not you personally, just in general.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

I realize it is my preference.....if you want to get up at 4:30 for a job that starts at 7:00, that is certainly your choice.  But then it is hard for me to listen to complaints about how tired you are (not you personally, just in general.)

But that doesn't make sense unless you know for sure the person is tired due to lack of sleep and not because of or in addition to something else. I physically can't sleep much later than 5:00 a.m. My body is awake. Regardless of whether I go to sleep at 9:00 p.m. or 3:00 a.m. I still wake up about the same time. So I go to bed early to get my sleep in, and generally get a solid 7-8 hours a night. But I can still be tired. Lots of things can make you tired besides lack of sleep.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

But that doesn't make sense unless you know for sure the person is tired due to lack of sleep and not because of or in addition to something else. I physically can't sleep much later than 5:00 a.m. My body is awake. Regardless of whether I go to sleep at 9:00 p.m. or 3:00 a.m. I still wake up about the same time. So I go to bed early to get my sleep in, and generally get a solid 7-8 hours a night. But I can still be tired. Lots of things can make you tired besides lack of sleep.

ok

I don't think it's a male/female thing as much as a morning/night owl type thing.  Dh is a morning person and his wakeup time is just a few minutes.  I'm a night owl my wakeup time is about an hour.  But I have 2 adult sons who are even more of a night owl than I am and their wake up periods are more like 1-2 hours.

• Like 2

So I was just remarking to DH that this has changed! I quit coffee a few weeks ago. It used to be I felt awake somewhere around 3/4 cup in. Then I went through the groggy, “Just shoot me,” phase of withdrawal. Now, the past few days, I feel very alert when I get out of bed. It’sa bit remarkable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

So I was just remarking to DH that this has changed! I quit coffee a few weeks ago. It used to be I felt awake somewhere around 3/4 cup in. Then I went through the groggy, “Just shoot me,” phase of withdrawal. Now, the past few days, I feel very alert when I get out of bed. It’sa bit remarkable. 

I’ve tried going off caffeine a few times in my life and the same thing happened to me each time.  Eventually I get migraines back again and always end up restarting caffeine because it helps so much.  But that’s a very good point!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

It is always interesting to me to talk to co-workers about what time they get up.  If I don't need to wash my hair, I can get up 30 min. before I need to leave, take a 5 min. shower, get dressed, grab a cup of coffee, and off I go.   If I need to wash my hair, I need an extra 10 min. or so.

I have people tell me they get up 2 hours before they need to leave to have alone time to "wake up" I think to myself how much easier it would be for them to wake up if they got an extra 1.5 hours of sleep! 🤣

I am a "get up at the last possible minute" person on work days too. If I shower the night before, I can be out the door w/ coffee in hand in 20 min. I've also learned that using the remote starter to start my car from bed is a godsend. I need to start getting ready for the morning sprint again soon!

My mom is the opposite - she get up at like 5:45 to start work (from home) at 8am so she has time to wake up. I'd prefer the extra 2 hrs of sleep!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

When I work outside the home I count the morning commute as "silent wake up time".  Despite operating heavy machinery.  😉  Really, in my case it's more of a "not wanting to engage with others" (as some people have also mentioned).  But paradoxically I don't mind typing or texting during my silent wake up time. 

I am the same way. I will happily text or email with people, read and post here, etc, before I am ready to engage with people personally. I don't know exactly why it is different, but it is. Maybe because in texting/emailing/posting, I have more control over my engagement. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the last time I got enough sleep to fully wake up was November 2019. 

Oddly enough that’s the last time I was somewhere without my husband or kids. 

Not saying correlation is causation just that there’s a lot of suspicious correlation in that fact. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m up and going in about 15 minutes, but my brain is full of schedules,thoughts, dinner and other daily thoughts. I don’t want to chat in the morning but it isn’t that my brain isn’t functioning yet….it needs a chance to process and slow down. 

17 hours ago, DawnM said:

It is always interesting to me to talk to co-workers about what time they get up.  If I don't need to wash my hair, I can get up 30 min. before I need to leave, take a 5 min. shower, get dressed, grab a cup of coffee, and off I go.   If I need to wash my hair, I need an extra 10 min. or so.

I have people tell me they get up 2 hours before they need to leave to have alone time to "wake up" I think to myself how much easier it would be for them to wake up if they got an extra 1.5 hours of sleep! 🤣

I wake up 2 hrs before I leave for work.

Gives me time to drink 2 x cups of tea, read, get my head straight, do some stretching, eat breakfast, pack a lunch, choose what to wear, shower, maybe make another cuppa...definitely not talk to other people. 

I hate lurching straight into a work day. I like lots of margin in my mornings. 

I can go from alarm to out the door in under 30 mins, I just don't like to.

I get 8 hrs sleep so don't feel I'm giving up sleep to get the morning margin ( I start work late though - 9.30).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Totally this. It only takes me a few minutes to actually wake up, but morning quiet time is just the best. 

• Like 2

I'm more or less functional when I wake up unless it's super early and I am just running to the bathroom.  In those situations, I try NOT to turn on my brain too much if I can help it because I would usually like to go back to sleep after a super early run to the bathroom.  

While I am basically functional right after I rouse, I do use the early mornings for a few things (listening to podcasts, checking my daily plan, exercise) and I absolutely HATE being disrupted from that routine if I sleep late and thus have to dive into the shower and get out of the house right away.  I vaguely remember rolling out of bed, getting dressed and dashing out the door in the space of 5 minutes when I was younger but now the house would have to be on fire for me to leave right after waking up.  

I am not a consistent AM caffeine drinker.  My caffeine of choice was afternoon sodas but I have cut that out for health reasons, though I can't promise I will never fall off that wagon again.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

My husband sleeps till the last possible second on work days and then dashes.  His commute 4/5 days is crossing the hallway to his computer so he doesn't need much time.  That said, he is also the sort of person who sleep talks, can sleep with his eyes open and when there's no imperative to get up, he will sleep/lounge pretty much indefinitely.  My husband is extremely reliant on caffeine, which is a common thing for those with severe ADHD like him.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

My husband sleeps till the last possible second on work days and then dashes.  His commute 4/5 days is crossing the hallway to his computer so he doesn't need much time.  That said, he is also the sort of person who sleep talks, can sleep with his eyes open and when there's no imperative to get up, he will sleep/lounge pretty much indefinitely.  My husband is extremely reliant on caffeine, which is a common thing for those with severe ADHD like him.  

Ds (ADHD) can't function till he's got caffeine in him. I think even if the house was on fire, it would be a struggle without coffee. 

I'm more reliant on it as a transition tool. I don't like transitions, but hot tea makes the sleep-wake one pretty easy. 

• Like 1

I wonder about the role of age and hormones. 

As my mother got older, she was entirely unable to go back to sleep if she woke up or to sleep in past about 4:30 or 5 in the morning (regardless of when she went to sleep usually).  She was awake and usually reading.  I used to have her call me in the morning if I needed to wake up early for something because she was always awake at that hour.  I never saw her drowsy in the morning until the last few weeks of her life when she was on a lot of pain meds for her cancer.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I do think age impacts things.  My dad really has a hard time sleeping.  I pray I don't get as bad as that.  After all the years of working multiple jobs and running everywhere for kids and pets and nonprofits, I want my retirement to involve pleasant sleep!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:26 PM, hippymamato3 said:

DH wakes up faster and requires less sleep. He brings me coffee every morning. By the time I've finished the cup, I feel almost human and am able to hold a conversation.

He’s a keeper!

DH used to bring me coffee every morning, too, but now it’s usually the kids who show up with coffee for both of us.  ❤️

On 8/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

My fibromyalgia changes the “wake up and go” equation for me. A hallmark symptom of fibro is “morning stiffness “.   That’s not a personality thing!  

My AS causes Frankenstein walk on a lot of days but I am always instantly awake and alert.  

I do not and have never needed as much sleep as others.  I can remember several times in childhood not sleeping the entire night.  When we traveled to Poland when I was 11, I didn't sleep the night before the trip, didn't sleep on the night airplane flight either and finally took a nap in a comfy chair at the US Embassy.

My normal is a somewhere between 6 and 7 though usually closer to six.  I can still function well with one night of non sleeping, but then do not drive a car.  I used to be able to nap-earlier in adulthood but now that is usually quite rare.  And if I get something like 4 hours, as long as there is no crisis, I can function well and can do another less than normal sleep the next day too but more than two nights starts to be a problem.